Summer 2009: Amara

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Post by Svartfreja »

The door opened revealing Amara's dad, smiling broadly - glad to have her home, "Dad!" Amara put her case down and started up the steps to give him a hug. She stopped when she heard the sound of frantic yapping, her dad stepped aside and let the small dog out. He bounded down the steps, tail wagging, Amara scooped him up, "Cookie! Bambino! Have you been a good boy?" she gave the small dog a squeeze, "Mummy missed you." She continued up the steps, cradling the dog and gave her dad a one-armed hug, "I missed you too," she kissed him on the cheek, "You left me over christmas," she pouted, he sighed.
"I know. I'm sorry, sweetheart. Let's get you settled and then I'll explain myself." He went to pick up her case then followed her inside.

A short time later, Amara was unpacked and enjoying a nice cup of coffee with Cookie sitting on her lap. Her father joined her and sat down on the coffee table in front of her. "If mother sees you..."
"She's out."
"Oh... good."
"I heard Christmas was a bit... eventful?"
"You could say that. I only wanted to show her what I could do..." Amara scritched Cookie behind the ears,
"Why don't you show me?"
"...Don't feel like it."
"Are you still mad at me for not being here?" Amara nodded, "I couldn't help it, Mara. Work needed me so I had to go."
"To England?"
"They want me to manage a new office they have in London."
"What?! You can't!" Amara stood up, displacing Cookie who went and hid under a chair, "What am I supposed to do while you're there?!"
"Calm down, Amara. I'm not finished." Amara sat down, "I've spoken to my bosses and they're quite happy to find accomodation for you as well. That is... if you want to come." Amara sprang forwards and hugged her father tightly, Cookie started yapping again.
"I'd love to come with you! I'd much rather be with you than her." Her father frowned, "She doesn't like me."
"She does like you. She just doesn't understand you," he kissed her forehead, "Now. You are allowed one suitcase of your favourite clothing. We can buy you all new ones when we get there. As for all your stuff, pack what you want to bring into boxes and we'll ship it over."
"Can Cookie come?"
Of course he can, I've already got him vaccinated..." he laughed when he saw the look on her face, "What? There's no harm in being prepared." Amara gave him another hug,
"I'm gonna start packing right now!" she stood up, "Come on Cookie!"
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Amara frowned at the pile on her bed then looked at the suitcase. No way was it all getting in there. She took a few items she supposed she could do without and put them back in her wardrobe. There was still too much. Deciding to find out exactly how too much it was, she started packing.

It surprised her how deceptive that little suitcase was, there was far more room in there than there looked.

Four items remained.

No matter how hard she tried she could not get the suitcase to close if she added even the smallest of them. She got steadily more and more frustrated.

She kicked the leg of her desk and balled her hands into fists, trying not to lose her temper. The next thing she knew, she was on the ceilling.

"Argh!" she shrieked and tried to get down. Her dad came running in looking very worried but he couldn't see Amara anywhere, "Dad!" he looked up,

"Oh my God! How did you get up there?!"

"I don't know!"

"It's really hot in here, Mara, did you lose your temper?" realisation dawned and Amara dropped out of the air,

"Ow!" Trying hard not to laugh, her dad went over to her and pulled her into a hug,

"What got you so upset?"

"...Can't fit it all in one case...." This time he did laugh,

"Alright, you can have another case. Need to avoid you setting fire to your room." He smiled and kissed her forehead, "Anymore problems and you come and tell me. Try and avoid you doing... whatever that was again..." Amara gave him a hug,

"I hope you can fire-proof the new place..."

IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Amara: Amara was giving Selene the grand tour of her house, "And this is the kitchen, where Maria makes the most wonderful sweets in the world!" The cook smiled at Amara and put a plate of biscuits on the counter, telling the girls to help themselves and muttering about how huge Amara's appetite was now. "This is my second favourite room in the house. Mother doesn't come in here."

Selene: "Thank you," Selene muttered to the cook when she reached out to grab a biscuit. "Now, sounds like a lovely place. I like sweets." She nibbled on the food. "This is delicious. And quite welcome. The food on the plane was atrocious." She took another bite and looked at Amara. "Sounds like you're trying to avoid your mother. And what's your most favourite room then, if I may ask?"

Amara: Amara grinned, "My bedroom." She picked up a couple of biscuits, "No one is allowed in there without my permission... except my dad. He always knocks though, he's nice... Don't like my mother."

Amara: She paused, "Wanna go upstairs til dinner?"

Selene: Selene tilted her head and thought for a moment. "Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I could use some peace after experiencing the airport again. Security personal can be so uptight when it comes to sharp metal object." She glanced towards the fridge. "Could we take something to drink along, please? My throat it kind of dry. I don't like air conditioned planes."

Amara: "Yeah, sure," Amara went to the fridge, "What do you want? Juice? Milk? Water?" She opened the door and peeked inside, "There's a good choice here - they have to keep it well-stocked now 'cause of me. Mother doesn't like it. Says it's not lady-like to eat so much..."

Selene: "Some fruit juice would be excellent. Grape juice, if there is any." Selene frowned. "You like to eat? Why would you mother not like this? There are some tasty foods, so eating is nice." She shrugged. "Certainly preferable to not eating, because in that case you would starve to death. I'm pretty sure your mother would be complaining about that happening, as well."

Amara: "Ha! That's what I said. She didn't like that either." Amara fished out a carton of grape juice for Selene and some orange juice for herself and got two glasses, "Want anything to eat?" She put the stuff on a tray, "Mother's out right now, thank goodness. Dad should be around somewhere but he's packing."

Selene: "Some fruits would be fine," Selene replied with a nod. "Thank you. I don't need a lot." She looked around the room. "Your home is very nice. Very spacious and tasteful. I cannot wait to see the rest of Venice."

Amara: Amara smiled at her and piled some fruit onto the tray, "I'll take you to see all the sights. Venice is so pretty... I'll be kinda sad to leave." She picked up the tray, "Follow me. See you later, Maria!"

Selene: Selene waved her hand at Maria as she followed Amara out of the kitchen. "Thank you again. For showing me the city and letting me stay at your place." She blinked at the other girl. "You will be leaving? Do you mean temporary, because you're going back to New York for the next semester? Or leaving as in moving permanently?"

Amara: "I'm moving to London with my dad. He's got to move there for work and I'll be damned if I'm putting up with my mother on my own." She walked up the stairs ahead of Selene and opened the door to her room with an elbow, "Oh, apologies in advance if it's a bit hot in here... there was an incident...."

Amara: She walked in and set the tray down on her desk, "Make yourself at home."

Selene: "Thank you." Selene entered the room and closed the door. She looked around the room and eventually decided to sit down in a comfortable looking armchair close to the desk. "Yes, it's indeed somewhat warm in here. But I prefer the heat to air conditioning." She paused and looked at Amara. "An incident? I take it you mean that this was caused by your abilities, right?"

Amara: Amara nodded, perching on her bed, "I was packing and I lost my temper with the suitcase then... something weird happened." She frowned, "I think I levitated..." She poured a glass of orange juice and took a sip, "Scared the hell out of me whatever it was."

Selene: "Levitation?" Selene raised her eyebrows at Amara. "That sounds certainly intriguing. I thought your abilities were related to flames and heat and setting things on fire? Perhaps it's a different aspect of you power. I occasionally discover new ones about mine." She nodded. "But I can relate to that experience. Losing my temper often makes me lose control."

Amara: "Yeah, last time I lost my temper at something here I set fire to a load of mother's paperwork." Amara paused, "I think maybe I super-heated the air or something and caused some wierd kind of up-draught. Dad thinks that makes some sort of sense."

Selene: Selene pondered this for a moment. "I think this could be an explanation. Perhaps you should ask the professors about it when we're back in New York. On the bright side, you didn't hurt yourself or burned this place down, even though you'll be leaving anyway." She smirked. "And I'd be thankful if you wouldn't set me ablaze, as well. These clothes are new."

Amara: Amara laughed, "Oh don't worry, I have fairly good control on that stuff by now. And I still wanna keep stuff here so it's better if I don't burn it all..." she couldn't help thinking that was a shame, she mentally scolded herself, "So have you been anywhere else yet?"

Selene: Selene nodded. "I've been to Scotland to attend Rahne's and Vic's party and stayed at their home there for a while. The Scottish Highlands are a beautiful place. Very peaceful. Then Lizzie let me stay in her flat in London, and she showed me the city's sights. So, it's been a very enjoyable trip so far. With Vic being so generous to pay for the plane tickets, it's a good opportunity to travel through Europe."

Amara: Amara smiled, "I'm glad you're having a good time. Oh! I bought you a present!" She jumped up from her seat, "Now close your eyes."

Selene: Selene blinked in surprise. "A present?" She stared at Amara for a moment and shifted on her seat. "Why would you get me a present? This wouldn't have been necessary." Selene did as she was told and closed her eyes. "Though, not to say that I don't appreciate it. I rarely get any presents."

Amara: Amara went over to her cupboard and pulled out a large flat square present, wrapped up neatly in floral paper, "Ok you can open them now."

Selene: Selene opened her eyes and blinked, even more surprised at the large wrapped present. "Oh. That's larger than I expected." She cautiously took it from Amara and started to carefully unwrap it. "I think this is the first time in my life that someone gives me a wrapped gift. At least, as far as I remember. I have to admit, it feels very exciting."

Selene: When she had removed the last bits of wrapping, she lifted the painting that was revealed underneath and silently stared at it. Several seconds passed. "I recognize this painting. It's the one we sat in front of during our visit to the museum. The one I was so enchanted by. You remembered it? And bought it? For me?" Selene had to struggle to take her eyes off it and look at Amara.

Selene: She did not know what to say.

Amara: Amara smiled, "Yeah, I could see you liked it so I did a bit of shopping. Do you like it?"

Selene: Selene had to swallow as unfamiliar feelings welled up inside her. "Yes. Yes, I like it. Very much." She nodded, looking between Amara and the painting. "Thank you. This is an incredible gesture, and I know that my words can't do it any justice, but this is one of the kindest things someone has ever done for me." She glanced up at Amara and smiled.

Amara: Amara smiled back and gave Selene a hug, "You're welcome. And dad says that if you want to come and visit over Christmas you can, I've been teling him all about you." she grinned, "He likes the sound of my college."

Selene: Selene patiently let herself get hugged, something that she rarely did. But she felt that she could trust Amara enough to let her touch her. "Oh? Now, this sounds inviting. Yes, I'd certainly like to visit you at your new home. I think you're excellent company." She smiled slightly and gave a nod. "And a good friend."

Selene: She carefully put the painting on the table, so that she could still admire it. "Please excuse my awkwardness. I'm not used to people being so kind to me. Lizzie, Rahne and you are very different from the other people I met in the past."

Amara: Amara sat down, "I'm relatively normal... well minus the obvious, You should get used to this treatment. You're a nice girl. And you're pretty. Lots of people will want to be kind to you." She smiled reassurringly at Selene, "But I will gladly help you get de-sensitised to all this friendliness if you like."

Selene: Selene thought for a moment about what Amara had meant. "Ah, yes. This sort of kindness. I know what you're talking about, and I've experienced it more often than I'm comfortable with." She glanced from one side to the room to the other and played with her long black hair. "It might not be obvious, but I'm well aware of the effect my appearance has on others."

Selene: "Keep in mind that I'm a telepath. I read others minds and receive their thoughts. And very often I can't control it. Or couldn't at all, in the past." She tilted her head to the side, twirling a strand of hand between her fingers. "So I experience what people are thinking around me like it were my own thoughts. Even the things they think about me. Which can be very unpleasant at times."

Amara: Amara blushed slightly, "Oh..." she took a big gulp of her juice and ended up nearly choking. "It's not all bad though, right?" She managed.

Selene: Selene shifted on her seat again and shrugged. "No, not all of it. But a lot of it is. Some people have fantasies that make me feel uncomfortable or angry. It's the reason why I tried to avoid others for a long time of my life." She paused, glancing at Amara. "Did I say something wrong? Don't worry, Professor Xavier and Lizzie taught me how to shield. I don't read your mind."

Amara: "Oh... no.. um... shielding, that's good..." She smiled and had another sip of orange juice, "Learning control is important. It's nice that everyone helps everyone else with their stuff." She put her glass down and peeled a banana.

Selene: "Yes, it's very good. It made my life much easier. I wouldn't have been able to go to crowded places like the cities of London or Venice if I hadn't learned how to shield my mind from others." Selene frowned and tilted her head sideways. "I'm not making you nervous, no? As I've said, you don't have to worry about your privacy. I'm currently full in control."

Amara: Amara smiled and took a bite of her banana, "No, I'm fine. I have no shame." She winked, "Oh yeah... I should probably warn you about my mother..."

Selene: Selene poured herself some juice and took a sip. "Oh, yes? Why do you think so? Do you expect that she won't like me? Don't worry, I'm used to that. Most people dislike me."

Amara: "Oh I'm sure she'll love you, she just doesn't like me so you may have to sit through a row at dinner. She's not too comfortable with the whole mutant thing. Probably because she has no chance of marrying me off to some rich guy now. But dad will talk to you. He's very open-minded."

Selene: "That's good to hear." Selene nodded at that and took another sip. "I prefer to be around open-minded people. The narrow-minded are usually entirely uninteresting." She shrugged. "And if your mother doesn't like you, chances are that I won't her like, as well. Seeing that I'm a mutant, the feeling should be mutual. In that case, why don't we simply ignore her end enjoy each others company?"

Amara: Amara giggled, "Sounds like a plan," she heard the front door open and flinched as it slammed, "Ah, mother's home. Sounds like she's in a bad mood. Joy. I guess we should go down and say hi."

Selene: "Very well." Selene finished her juice and put the glass on the table, giving the painting another admiring look as she stood up. "Don't worry, though." Selene gave Amara a smirk. "We outnumber her two to one."

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

LMAO for Amara getting so upset because of clothes not fitting