7/11 Instance: Sam's Memorial - 13 Cannon Salute

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Timelined for September 29th.

Adam: It had taken some serious strength of will, but Adam had left the tin hat in his room for this. His hair was plain, pulled back into a neat ponytail, wearing a black turtleneck and black jeans with gloves and boots. And trying not to look like he'd rather be anywhere else.

Darren: Darren sat on a chair in the middle of the group, one arm around Selene's shoulders as they waited, he looked fairly uncomfortable, Selene ... well it was hard to tell. Since it was a funeral she'd decided to wear a heavy, black lace veil that obscured her entire face from sight.

Eddie: Eddie sighed, squirming a little in his seat. Boy funerals were awkward. Even moreso when you're pretty sure you were partly to blame. He looked to his right at Angelo who was sat beside him. The two looked like polar opposites - identical black suits, but Eddie's shirt was red and his was an almost white blue.

Pietro: Pietro sat quietly near the end of a row. His hair, finally back to it's normal shade of white, contrasted starkly with his dark suit. He was feeling a little edgy what with the funeral of his parents only happening a month or so ago, it was drawing out all those old feelings again. But he wanted to be there to show some support for Rogue.

Adam: He was trying to sit normally and still right at the back, chewing his lip as sky-blue eyes flicked from face to face and their surrounding area. Gloved fingers blurred in his lap, playing with a spare hair-tie.

Eddie: "You know it was nobody's fault..." Angelo whispered to Eddie. Who shook his head and looked away. The words held no comfort; surely someone could've done something, and worse still the culprit was gone. He looked over at Adam. It was hard not to feel sorry for him, oddly enough.

Darren: Darren glanced over to the line of trees, where Filburt was teathered up, peacefully chewing lettuce while they waited, Selene had insisted that the giant turtle came to the funeral as well, since Sam had built his home, and in honour of the occasion Selene had covered his shell in black body paint ... he was really lucky to have his Selene ...

Adam: Juuust like that day. Am I wearing the same clothes? Of course not, I've grown. Wouldn't fit me now. Threw that suit away. Adam closed his eyes, forcing a deep breath, opening them and catching Eddie looking at him. He tried to smile, but it was very hard.

Lorna: Lorna sat ramrod straight, for once in her life not fidgeting with anything, not even the edge of her sleeve. She wasn't letting her eyes settle on one thing but kept taking in everything around her, the gravesite, Rogue, the other attendants. Her mind was trying to slip into auto pilot but looking around was keeping it out, making her see.

Rogue: Rogue sat down after Lorna, flanked by her and Bobby. She tried to keep her mind elsewhere but she couldn't stop staring at the stone in front of her.

Eddie: Eddie gave Adam a quick smile and turned away, face automatically bittering. He felt sick. Guilty. Ashamed that this time last week he was more worried about being let down by Ronnie. Was she even here? No, didn't matter.

Rogue: The preacher waited until they were seated before starting to speak, but Rogue didn't hear any of it. It was like a distant murmur that she couldn't make out and didn't care to try. She caught Sam's name and that was all that made it to her ears.

Adam: Adam spotted Rogue - he'd only met her once before, before his eyes flicked up to the preacher. On impulse, he pulled out his rosary, fingers flicking through the beads. Out of everyone here...he didn't know Sam well, but he could remember him...could...

Darren: Darren shared a slightly awkward glance with Bobby before dropping his arm to just hold Selene's hand ... and he wondered where Jay was ...

Lorna: Lorna's eyes slowed, settling on Rogue. "You're doing good, let me know if you need to leave."

Rogue: Rogue nodded and closed her eyes, trying hard to breathe. She reached out to take both Bobby and Lorna's hands, needing something, someone to hold on to besides herself.

Adam: Adam stared at the cross on his beads as the priest droned on, hands shaking. He tried to concentrate on the words but he felt...his head was raw, and all that kept flashing up were Kevin's memories of Sam's last moments. He shouldn't have done this. Mam, Da, I'm sorry...

Pietro: Pietro couldn't help take in all that the preacher was saying, since he had nothing else to really focus on. He tried not to look around at the others, grieving was hard enough without an audience. Instead, he stared fixatedly ahead of him.

Darren: Darren leant back, he'd been to a fair few funerals when he'd been on base, after a while they all started to get a bit samey ... but that was the thing about military life, you got used to death ...

Eddie: "Hey...what's up with Adam?" Eddie whispered to Angelo, who looked up at his roommate. "...looks like he wants to cry. Jesus..."

Rogue: Rogue looked up finally as the preacher paused longer than to just take a breath and found him looking at her. She looked back down and heard him ask if anyone had any words to say about Sam or to the family of the deceased. Rogue winced and clenched her jaw, trying not to lose control. Sam's voice was a constant supportive murmur in her head and that helped a bit.

Adam: No, no good, he couldn't - Adam stood up, shaking and pale. "I-I'm sorry." He managed, not looking at anyone. "I-I can't do this. T-too soon, I-I...I'll come by...come by later..." He didn't wait for anyone to say anything, simply blurred, heading back to the school, wiping his face quickly.

Pietro: Pietro didn't look round, he recognised the voice as Adam's though and looked down at his hands.

Eddie: "Damnit..." Angelo sighed, getting up and attempting to follow Adam. "Meet you later..." he said to Eddie, siddling past him and darting off.

Rogue: Rogue heard the voice and her chest got tight as she realized it was Adam. He was the one who... Her eyes got blurry and she took a deep breath, forcing the tears away.

Eddie: Eddie sighed, his eyes finding Rogue. He honestly thought his heart had cracked at seeing her battle away her feelings. This was too much.

Jay: There was a downrush of air as Jay landed a little less than cleanly off to one side, panting hard as evidence of how hard he'd flown. He'd been in two minds about coming, but he owed it to both Sam and Rogue. "Ah'm sorry Ah'm late, y'all." He picked a seat close to the edge and the front, reversing it and sitting, folding his wings close.

Rogue: The tears spilled over as she heard Jay's voice and the familiar drawl that was so like hers and Sam's. She closed her eyes tight and managed to get them to stop after a moment.

Darren: Oh ... so there was Jay ...

Lorna: Despite the activity in the audience it was still quiet with nobody continuing after the Preacher had said his words. It took a moment longer but Lorna squeezed Rogue's shoulder, getting up and heading for the podium, feeling oddly ridiculous once she got there, as if she was giving the most surreal lecture she had up until thils point. Despite herself the back of her mind suggested perhaps she needed to hire Bob the nude model just to replace that feeling.

Jay: Jay lay his head for a moment on his arms just to catch his breath before looking up to Lorna and across to Rogue. Gently he reached across, carefully squeezing her shoulder - he'd never been good with words.

Rogue: Rogue looked up as Lorna stood and felt herself panic a little, clinging harder to Bobby's hand. And then Jay's hand. She reached up to grab at it, clinging to him for a moment.

Lorna: "Um...you'll have to excuse me..I've never exactly done this before. Heck, my lectures are awkward enough, this is..." She shook her head, deciding to pull back and let her mind think over what should be said. "This is my friend, Sam. Some of you didn't get to know him long, and for that I'm sorry because you' missed one of the best kind of person."

Lorna: "He wouldn't have told you these things because he'd think of them as bragging and such things had been knocked out of him by birth but they're true. Sam was good and kind, he had his own kind of strength. Not loud like some of us, stubborn only when the situation called for it. He was understanding and empathetic. You didn't have to know him well for him to listen to what you had to say and that alone would bring you closer to a great friend."

Jay: Jay let Rogue hold on to his hand as he listened to Lorna. He'd never really...been to something like this. Grieving for him had always been something you did privately. He squeezed Rogue's hand.

Rogue: Rogue let Lorna's words reach her unlike the preachers. The preacher hadn't really known Sam that well... The two of them had gone to his church when they could find time, but beyond that, there wasn't anything for him to draw on. But Lorna? That was more personal.

Eddie: Eddie cupped his hands together and took a deep breath. Should he say something? Probably not. But...he looked back at Rogue, soldiering through her torment. They all owed her this much.

Lorna: "It's hard to think when something of this magnitude hits you. It shouldn't have happened but it did. Life is made up of things that shouldn't have happened but did. I would recommend we not dwell on the unfairness that is what happened. I would recommend we try to pull what meaning we can from this. I got to know Sam, he taught me a lot of things though he probably never realized it. He reminded me that, when it was all said and done, the majority of people are good. There is some things horrible in the world but it isn't going to do any good dwelling on them."

Darren: Darren found himself nodding along with Lorna.

Rogue: Rogue took a deep breath and nodded. Sam had taught her a lot too. Without him, she would still be running.

Lorna: "Sam had the strength to keep his goodness after seeing a lot of bad. I would like to think that he gave me and all of the people who knew him the same strength. When you find yourself losing that faith I hope that you remember Sam and can hold onto it that much stronger." She looked down a bit, not really thinking out what she was saying aside for the second the next sentence came into her mind.

Eddie: Eddie looked up. He'd have clapped but this was hardly the time. Instead he just fixed a brave gaze on Lorna, finding no fault in her words.

Rogue: Keep a hold on her faith? She shook her head and swallowed, looking back at the gravestone. All her hopes were gone now.

Pietro: Pietro nodded in agreement with Lorna's words. That was a sentiment he could definately get behind.

Lorna: "I'm going to use that faith to keep myself here and to do whatever it is that I am needed to do. Seeing how Sam died reminds me of what it is we are supposed to be doing here, learning, knowing what we can do so that things that happened to Sam shouldn't happen because we lost control. In my weak moments I might consider leaving, taking up a 'normal life'. I know better because this is important."

Lorna: "Knowing someone like Sam not only gives me faith and hope but makes me stronger. I hope we can all live up to the kind of person who never lost his." Lorna lingered for a moment, realizing she wasn't really sure on the exit strategy in this instance. After a moment she settled on an awkward bob of her head, drifting back for her seat.

Jay: Jay nodded to that, squeezing Rogue's shoulder again.

Rogue: Rogue reached out to take Lorna's hand again before she'd even sat back down, giving it a squeeze and trying to give her a smile.

Pietro: Pietro gave Lorna a small smile as she passed his seat, to let her know he agreed with the sentiment.

Jay: He bit his lip, standing up himself after a moment's hesitation and heading up to the podium. "Ah uh...Ah don' usually give speeches so...dis is gonna be pretty short." He resisted the urge to put his hands in his pockets. "Ah remember...when Ah firs' met Sam, he was helpin' clean up with d' Legacy in his system."

Darren: Darren shifted in his seat, squeezing Selene's hand.

Rogue: Rogue bit her lip and held her breath for a moment to make sure she didn't get too upset. Legacy had taken him from her once... And now he was gone for good because of some kid named Kevin.

Lorna: Lorna gave Pietro a small smile and a nod as she sat down, hand going to Rogue's shoulder again and squeezing, her nerves slowly jumping back into old Lorna mode, allowing her to fidget slightly now.

Jay: He paused. "D' guy was sick, but he still carried on, refused t' be a burden, y' know? Even later, when we were both in d' medlab...he was dyin' and he still asked after everyone. D' guy didn't have a selfish bone in his body, not dat Ah ever saw." He smiled a little. "He made me proud t' be me, Ah guess. Had dat kinda...pride t' be a mutant in himself."

Jay: "An' he kinda...Ah dunno, rubbed off on people. Like Lorna said, showed 'em dat maybe d' world is full of assholes, but dat ain' no reason to be one y'self. Ah might not believe in a God myself, but for men like him, Ah sure as hope dere is one." He looked down.

Jay: "Ah'll miss him." He added quietly, before awkwardly flicking his wings close and making his way back to his seat near Rogue.

Rogue: Rogue took a shaky breath and gave Jay a tiny smile as he passed her. Every word he said was true.

Pietro: Pietro couldn't face giving a speech. It was still too soon. He bowed his head, feeling bad that he couldn't get up there and do what the others had done. He'd apologise to Rogue later.

Eddie: Eddie took a deep breath. "Ah, Jesus..." he stood up. "I'd...like to say a few words i-if I may..."

Eddie: For a moment, Eddie stood awkwardly, before making his way to the altar. He took a moment to compose himself, taking a breath and clearing his throat.

Eddie: "Sam Guthrie was here before me. Although I didn't know him well he carried a..." Eddie sighed. "I don't know, there was something about him that radiated good intent."

Eddie: "They say a man is only measured by his accomplishments in life...if that's true then Sam was a monarch to everything Xavier Institute stands for. I've never, even in petty arguments, heard a bad word about Sam Guthrie; from what I discern of others he was a treasure of a person."

Rogue: Rogue sniffed and forced herself calm, trying to go numb again and she leaned her head on Bobby's shoulder for a minute, hiding her face as she tried to take control of it.

Eddie: "And not just to his beautiful bride-to-be, Rogue." Eddie continued, gesturing to her. "But to all of us, even me in a small - but by no means meaningless - way."

Eddie: "I was there when it happened, as were a few of us. Not a day goes by where I don't think that somehow I was partly to blame...I wish I...", he paused, biting back an unexpected sob in the back of his throat. "I just wish I could have saved him..."

Rogue: She lost a bit of her control and was glad she had her face hidden as a sob escaped before she could stop it.

Eddie: Eddie stopped, hands clenching tight as he recalled the day so many people's worlds were shattered. He looked up, eyes filling with tears. "But I have a feeling...I know I wouldn't want to die in vain. I'd want all those I loved to love each other as much as I did them..."

Pietro: Pietro stared at his hands in his lap and tried to stay sat in his seat. He didn't want to add to the list of people that had run from the memorial and risk Rogue feeling a little abandoned.

Eddie: "And Sam..." Eddie said, a tear running down his cheek. "I know he loved us all so very much. That's why, as previously said, we must stand strong against this new day; we can't be consumed with dispair and hatred for each other or anyone else."

Eddie: "A wise man once said 'Love conquers all'." Eddie said, voice shaking. "I aim to prove him right. As Sam, I'm certain, would've done before me."

Rogue: Rogue shook her head. If love conquered all, he'd still be here.

Eddie: With that, Eddie stepped down from the altar, returning to his seat and sitting down. He bit his fist and sobbed gently. God it hurt. He could only imagine how it felt for the others.

Darren: Darren looked around, then gave Selene's hand another squeeze before getting up, he should probably say something as well.

Jay: Jay folded his arms across his seat again, still keeping hold of Rogue, laying his head on them, wings twitching occasionally. This...this fucking sucked.

Darren: He made his way to the podium and looked around for a moment before starting to speak, "I ... well, there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, but I'd like to say a few words. Sam ... well, Sam was always kind to me, back when I first arrived we were friends, he gave me some good advice ... advice on girls if I remember correctly," he gave Rogue a small smile, "advice that I figure from how happy he was with his girl, he was in a good position to give."

Eddie: Eddie wiped off his face and looked up, clearing his throat again.

Rogue: Rogue turned her head to look up at Darren, keeping her head on Bobby's shoulder and her hand on Lorna's. She managed a small smile to Darren as he smiled at her, but she couldn't make it reach her eyes.

Jay: Jay looked up, a little surprised, but smiling a little at the memory that pulled up. 'Warlock' had been adorable, and Sam...Sam had been incredibly understanding.

Darren: "He didn't hold grudges, well, not like ... many, I don't think, he forgave me for the whole ... you know, the bee flu thing? Yeah ... anyway ... he'll be missed, and we owe it to him to carry on and ... be good, and stuff ..." he trailed off awkwardly, there was a reason he never did things like this, "Um ... that's all I wanna say, thanks ..." he said, getting down quickly off the podium and returning to his seat, nearly tripping over Friday the school cat as he did so, as she weaved between his legs before sitting down next to the stone.

Rogue: Rogue sat in silence for a moment after Darren sat down and finally straightened, carrying Sam's matchbook with her as she slowly moved to the podium. She wasn't sure if she could do this or not, but she had to try.

Jay: Jay followed Darren with his eyes, giving him a smile as he did.

Eddie: Eddie sat upright, seeing Rogue get up there. He inhaled deeply.

Pietro: Pietro looked up when Rogue moved up to the podium, determined to give her his full attention.

Rogue: When she got there, she kept her eyes on the tiny book in her hands until she could get control enough to look up at everyone gathered. She tried her best to take in all of the faces. To remember who came to pay their respects and support her. She got a bit teary again when she saw Howlett and Hank and remembered when she and Sam said their vows.

Darren: Darren gave Rogue what he hoped was a reassuring smile.

Lorna: Lorna sat up straighter, pulling her hands into her lap and focused on Rogue

Rogue: Rogue took off her gloves and set them on the podium so she could see the rings as her fingers fumbled over the matchbook, taking another moment to gather her thoughts. It felt like she was up there for a long time not saying anything so she finally looked up again. "Ah don't know what's worse. Knowin' Ah've gotta live f'rever without him or knownin' Ah gotta live f'rever with tha knowledge that Ah was too stubborn ta marry him when he wanted."

Jay: Jay focused on Rogue.

Eddie: Eddie cringed a little inside; she had every right to feel like this.

Pietro: Pietro was suddenly reminded of one of the first things he'd said to Rogue and felt worse for it.

Darren: Darren winced, squeezing Selene's hand again ... should he put an arm around her ... no, might upset Rogue ...

Rogue: "Sam..." She paused and looked up, fighting the tears and trying to calm her racing heart. "Sam was everythin' Ah ever wanted an' needed." She looked back out, "He was mah best friend, mah lover, mah confidante, mah partner. He wasn't afraid o' anythin'. Especially not me. He was tha bravest person Ah knew an' he gave me tha courage ta stand still f'r once."

Rogue: "Ah always ran. From tha time Ah got mah powers until even after Ah met him. But he brought me back. Not that he did anythin' 'cause we were just friends at that point. But Ah couldn't keep him off mah mind. So Ah came home. Ta Xavier's. Ta him." She looked back down at the matchbook and her rings. "Sam helped me believe that it's ok ta be who ya are. Who God made ya. Might take some adjustin', but it's what's meant ta be."

Eddie: Eddie nodded, wiping away a last tear and sniffling.

Rogue: "He was lovin' in every way. Cared about every single soul he met an' God help him, he cared about a street rat like me." She looked up again, "Sam helped me in more ways than Ah knew until Ah lost him. Ah helped him learn how ta stop when he couldn't control his powers. He helped me learn how to stop when Ah couldn't control mah life. Ah'm back ta not knowin' how ta control it, but that's ok. 'Cause Ah remember what he taught me."

Rogue: She opened the book and ripped out a match, holding it up unlit, "Sam was tha fire in mah soul. He was tha cannonball that wrecked everythin' Ah knew ta be true an' helped me rebuild somethin' so much better. An' Ah know he did that f'r more than just me." She lit the match and held it until the fire reached her fingers, "He was tha only one who could burn so brightly as ta touch every person he met in tha best way possible. None of us're gonna be tha same without him."

Rogue: Rogue looked back at the gravestone, "Sam. Ah love you." She took a shuddering breath as tears streamed silently down her cheeks, "An' we're all gonna miss you." She blew a kiss to it and dropped the match to the ground before pulling her gloves back on and walking back to her seat.

Jay: Jay kept his head on his arms, eyes closed, tears slipping down his face silently. Oh man...he missed Jill...missed her so much. Missed Sam already too, but it was bringing up all his past grief.

Pietro: Once Rogue had sat down, Pietro bowed his head again. He listened to the wind and tried to block out the sounds of people crying behind him.

Rogue: The preacher waited another few moments until it seemed no one else was going to come up and Rogue watched him step back up to the podium before bowing her head and clutching the matchbook in her lap. She felt so empty without him.

Rogue: Rogue felt Bobby's hand on her back as the preacher said something about there being refreshments inside, but she just kept her head down, not able to look up just yet.

Pietro: Pietro got slowly to his feet and walked back towards the building, not looking at anyone. He'd shown his support, that was all he could manage for now. But he would make it up to Rogue for not being able to find anything to say.

Jay: Jay reached out and squeezed Rogue's shoulder again, lifting his head and making sure he'd wiped the tears before anyone saw. "Ah'll...Ah'll be inside, if y'all need me. On d' roof." He murmured quietly. "Later, Rogue." He stepped away and then pushed up into the air, circling up closer to the school.

Eddie: Eddie stood slowly, taking one more look at Rogue and walking away. There was nothing left to say. He needed a drink of water and some paracetamol. His head was hurting. Not as much as Rogue's heart, he vouched.

Darren: Darren sighed, putting his arm around Selene as they got up, "Come on, let's take Filburt home."

Lorna: Lorna's hand lingered at Rogue's back. She didn't say anything though. She might have only known what this felt like for a few days but she remembered the feeling and wasn't going to try to say anything now.

Rogue: Rogue's hand reached up to wrap around Sam's ring and pendant hanging from her neck and she looked up as Lorna and Bobby got up to leave. She wanted to stay put for a bit, not up to really dealing with people yet, so she just gave them a tight smile in thanks for being with her.

Rogue: She looked at the tombstone and swallowed hard. This made it final.
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Oh my, I'm so sorry I missed this. :(

*Selene fires off a salute in Sam's honour from the school's roof with her hand-crafted lemon-cannon*
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen