8/1 Instance: Matchmaking for n00bs

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

8/1 Instance: Matchmaking for n00bs

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

timeline: after Subtle as a Brick and That Awkward Moment When...

Johnny: Johnny had scoured the school for Eddie and grabbed him as soon as he'd located the guy, dragging him to the rec room while explaining, "Talked to Illyana, she totally has something for you, and now you have to teach her to play Halo."

Eddie: Eddie finally succeeded in pulling himself free as they reached the rec room, clenching his art books tightly to his chest. "Have you ANY idea what you're doing!? I just saw Pietro and he was all...elusive and...roof-top-ing..."

Eddie: "This is the worst plan EVER! Your timing sucks ass!", Eddie facepalmed.

Johnny: "Pietro? Seriously? That sucks." Johnny made a face as he considered Eddie, moving to set up the xbox, "And, now is when she has the time, so blame her, not me. She ran back to her apartment to get a few things, and then she's coming back."

Eddie: "'A few things', he says...", Eddie sighed, dropping his art books on the coffee table and slumping onto the couch. "Like what? Pepper spray?"

Johnny: "Pfft, maybe to blind me," Johnny flashed him a grin. "She wouldn't do that to you though. Went out and bought one of your books to bring up the subject of you. She... Like, had a fan moment, said you're the best, and that they don't pay you enough for your work. She has one of your t-shirts. Oh, and she thinks you're an awesome hero."

Eddie: "And that's a cue to say: 'Hi there, let me ruin your engagement because I love you'?", Eddie blurted out, webbing a controller over so fast it smacked him in the face.

Illyana: "Hi guys!" Illyana said as she teleported in, snuggling the white kitten.

Johnny: "It's a star-- Hey!" Johnny had startled a bit at the teleport, not sure he'd be able to get used to people magically appearing, but at least he hadn't given away what they'd been discussing.

Eddie: "AGH, Christ!", Eddie all but cried, slapping himself in the chest and sighing at the sight of Illyana. He took a few breaths before speaking again. "He-....hey.", he eventually managed. Why was God feeling so 'sitcom' today!?

Illyana: "No... Illyana!" She grinned a bit at Eddie. "Look! I brought Sprinkles!" She held up the little kitten, who mewed in protest.

Eddie: For all today had managed to throw at him, Eddie couldn't help but laugh at Illyana and her cat. "Aww, Sprinkles? That is the cutest little thing ever! Hey you!", he smiled, waving with two fingers at the tiny cat.

Johnny: He grabbed a controller and moved toward Illyana, offering it to her while grinning at the kitten, "Can I pet it.... him... her?"

Illyana: "Awww of course! She's the sweet one. Her brother is a little turd. Look, he scratched me!" She showed off her battle wound to Eddie and Johnny.

Eddie: Eddie snickered, it was so cute the way she said 'turd'! "Brutal. One time, I had a cat? Well, he was more like a best friend. Actually he was my best friend. Actually, he wasn't really a 'cat', per say..."

Illyana: Illyana gave Eddie a puzzled look, then ruffled his hair. "So you are supposed to teach me how to play this Halo."

Eddie: Eddie just grinned awkwardly, trying not to blush.

Johnny: Johnny reached out to pet the kitten, slightly wary of being attacked. Though, she had said this one was the nice one. He looked to Eddie and wished he could elbow him in the side from where he was.

Illyana: Illyana grinned back at Eddie, then handed Sprinkles on over to Johnny. "She's snuggly." Sprinkles mewed at Johnny.

Johnny: He found his hands full of kitten and handed the controller off to her in return, grinning at the kitty. It was so adorable, but saying that aloud would ruin his manliness, right?

Eddie: "Right...", Eddie nodded to himself. "So, how to best teach someone about Halo?", he pondered, webbing over and handing Illyana a controller. "Personally my favourite thing about it is the storyline..."

Illyana: Illyana looked at her two controllers, then set the one Johnny had handed her down. "Oh story time?"

Eddie: "Essentially, we play from the Human perspective.", Eddie explained, "The Humans in this make first contact with a group of various Alien races calling themselves the Covenant."

Eddie: "The issue arrises when the Covenant say that Humans are 'devils' that need to be wiped out.", Eddie nerd-ed on, smirking at his vast knowledge of the Halo-verse.

Johnny: Johnny stayed quiet, allowing Eddie to show off as he plopped down in a chair. He was content to entertain the kitten while they bonded and whatnot.

Illyana: Illyana blinked a bit. "So we shoot stuff yes?" Sprinkles climbed up to Johnny's shoulder to curl up for naptime.

Johnny: "If you don't want them to shoot you first, yeah," he answered, trying not to squirm as the kitten found a comfortable spot.

Eddie: "Ye-eah, in order to keep genocidal aliens from doing the same to you.", Eddie smiled at her, dipping through the menu screen into Firefight mode. "This is simple: waves of baddies come, we shoot them."

Illyana: "Sounds easy enough." Illyana plopped down on the couch to get comfortable.

Johnny: Johnny looked from the cat on his shoulder, to the television screen, and finally to Eddie, giving a small cough, "Might wanna explain what buttons do what..."

Eddie: Eddie snapped his fingers, "Right! Right....uhm...", he turned to Illyana, giving her a demonstration, "So, this stick moves you forwards, backwards, and strafes left and right. And that one turns your head."

Illyana: Illyana mimicked what he showed her. "Got it! How do I shoot?" That was the most important button.

Eddie: "Right Trigger, there.", Eddie pointed with his finger. "The button above it is to punch, but the aim is to not have to get that close.", he smirked.

Illyana: "Got it!" Illyana grinned at Eddie. "This is so exciting!"

Johnny: Johnny scooped up the kitten, which protested its nap being interrupted, and headed toward the kitchen door. He shot the two a grin, "Well, I'm going to go make tea and grab snacks. I promise the kitten will come back, whiskers in tact."

Illyana: "She better! She's my favorite!" Illyana called back, then turned her attention to the screen.

Eddie: "Right, first wave...", Eddie whispered to himself, instinctively going for where he knew the level's best weapons were. There was something comforting about using Halo as a social shield so he didn't have to face the awkwardness of it all.

Illyana: Illyana had no idea what she was up to, but she was with her buddy Eddie so it was fun for sure. She took off looking for something to kill.

Eddie: Eddie shredded a few enemies with relative ease, making sure to leave a few for Illyana to get a feel for her weapons. He glanced at her screen, "You may wanna be careful going out of that door."

Illyana: "Why? What's on the other side?" Illyana turned her head to look at him.

Eddie: "I think...five enemies, just be ready.", Eddie smiled, looking at her. She was pretty when she was anticipating combat. Wow...he really didn't get out enough anymore.

Illyana: Illyana smiled a bit more once he looked at her. "Let's do it." She quickly turned her head and went for it.

Eddie: As cathartic as slaying Covenant zealots was, Eddie's mind itched - he was avoiding taking the initiative with Illyana. Every now and again he just glanced at her, trying to find the words to say. What could he say?

Illyana: Illyana laughed happily as she slaughtered the enemy. "This is fun!"

Eddie: "I'm glad you're enjoying yourself.", Eddie smiled, sighing. "Uhm...there's something I need to say."

Eddie: Ah, that's the spirit: state the obvious and follow through!

Illyana: "Hmmm? What's up?" Illyana glanced away form the screen to look at him.

Eddie: Eddie paused their game. "Illyana, I...", he started, fighting back his fear, "Damnit. Illy, I care about you and..."

Illyana: Illyana gave Eddie a confused look. "I care about you too..."

Eddie: "No, that's not what I mean.", Eddie shook his head, turning a little in her direction. "Illyana, I want you to know that I respect you, and...and I'm happy for you and Pietro."

Eddie: "But I need to tell you this...", Eddie took a deep breath. "I...think I love you."

Illyana: Illyana just stared at Eddie, waiting for that to process. She was overwhelmed by the sudden flury of emotions and confusion. "What are you doing, Eddie?"

Eddie: "...being honest...?", Eddie stammered, confused at the particular question. "I know this is crazy and I know it must not be easy but...I can't lie to you, to myself."

Eddie: "This is how I feel. And...I'm sorry."

Illyana: Illyana swallowed, still trying to sort out everything in her head. "That isn't something you just tell someone right before they get married, Eddie!" Illyana stood up to get some space from him.

Eddie: Eddie stood also, raising his hand as if to go and stop her, "D-don't, please.", he breathed sadly, "You have to understand; how could I watch you get married and do nothing if this is how I feel? I'd be lying to you, myself, and everyone else. I don't expect you to just leave him, but you can't expect me to just...lie it all away!"

Illyana: "Then what did you expect?!" Illyana crossed her arms across her chest. Why did his news bother her?

Eddie: "Nothing!", Eddie snapped, outright. "Honestly? I expected nothing. I never do. I expected a pat on the head, a 'you're so sweet but alas I am with another' speech and a lifetime of feeling like I missed out on someone so amazing I may never fill the gap."

Eddie: Eddie frowned, biting back...were those tears? "Maybe you think it's stupid - God, maybe it is but...it's also true. That's how I feel about you."

Illyana: Illyana's eyes watered. "Don't yell at me!" She took another step back as the first tear did fall.

Eddie: "I'm sorry.", Eddie said, looking away solemly. "I didn't mean to upset you and...", he sighed, "...well, who says I never screw up?"

Illyana: Illyana turned her back to him so she could attempt to compose herself. "Maybe I should just go..."

Eddie: "W-wait, y-...", Eddie paused. Where else could this go at the moment? "I don't want you to go. I really don't. But...if you need to...",

Illyana: "I'm supposed to get married in 2 months and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with this, Eddie!" Illyana turned back around to face him.

Eddie: Eddie looked at her sadly for a moment, realizing how she'd reacted. That was hardly a 'no'. He blinked, realizing. "...me either.", he semi-gasped.

Johnny: Johnny had finished the tea quickly but then realized that there was no way he could carry three mugs and a kitten, so he'd spent time searching for something to carry them on. Once he'd located a tray, he plucked the kitten up and placed her on his shoulder, backing into the door to open it and turning to give the scene in front of him a puzzled look.

Johnny: "Uh..." Oh, he had no idea what to say that didn't sound insensitive to the situation. "Tea?" That was safe enough.

Illyana: Illyana didn't quite register what Johnny said at first, but Sprinkles meowing brought her back to reality. She moved to him and scooped up her baby and a mug. "Thank you, Johnny." She moved to a new chair.

Eddie: Eddie waited for Illyana to get her cup before moving to take his own. Without a word he sat back on the sofa, staring into his cup and wearing a somewhat confused, somewhat saddened yet somewhat curious expression.

Johnny: He pouted a bit as his furry friend was taken but grabbed the remaining mug, setting the tray aside as he moved to take his seat. Looking between the two, it wasn't hard to guess where the conversation had gone once he'd left the room. "So, um... How's the game?"

Illyana: Sprinkles climbed over Illyana's hand to get to the tea so she could drink it. That broke Illyana, who couldn't help but laugh at the determined cat. "The game... oh! I was kicking Eddie's butt."

Eddie: Eddie looked up at the screen, "...something like that.", he smirked, devoid of true amusement. "Put it this way; I think 'Matchmaking' should be saved for the 'leets'."

Illyana: Illyana gave Eddie another puzzled look.

Johnny: Johnny just cringed.

Eddie: "It's fine.", Eddie sighed, sipping some of his tea and still avoiding eye-contact with the others. He needed some time to think.

Illyana: Illyana stroked Sprinkles and checked her phone. "I guess I should get going... homework and all."

Eddie: Eddie glanced at her, and then shook his head. "Y-yeah. See you around, I guess."

Johnny: "Later," Johnny mumbled, taking a sip from his mug.

Illyana: Illyana was gone the next instant.

Johnny: Focusing his gaze on his mug, Johnny sighed and reached up to run a hand through his hair. He eventually glanced up to Eddie, sighing again, "I'm sorry, dude."

Eddie: "You may not have to be.", Eddie said, slowly. "She did not react how I imagined..."

Johnny: "Oh?" he raised an eyebrow.

Eddie: "She got so defensive...", Eddie explained, gesturing with his hand, "I don't understand why, it doesn't make sense at all."

Johnny: Johnny gave him a wide grin, "Oh, she's totally into you."

Eddie: Eddie shook his head, "And yet I have this nagging feeling like...I didn't mean to upset her.", he sighed, face full of sorrow suddenly.

Johnny: "I'm sure she'll get over it," he replied, attempting to be reassuring. This being nice thing was not something he was used to.

Eddie: "Maybe.", Eddie said shortly, sipping some more tea. "Look, no offense but I think it's best I just...have some time to think."

Johnny: "It's cool," Johnny gave him a slight smile as he got up, "I'll talk to you later or something."

Eddie: "Yeah, sure.", Eddie nodded. "And...thanks. For what it's worth."

Johnny: "No problem. Let me know how it goes," he replied, offering awkwardly as he got to the door, "I mean... If you need someone to talk to, that is..."

Eddie: "You'll be the first.", Eddie assured him with a raised cup, sipping some more tea and taking a deep breath. "All up to fate now.", he murmured to himself.