Summer 2015: Jessica

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Summer 2015: Jessica

Post by Svartfreja »

Danny: Danny knocked quietly on Jess' door, left his bag where he had stood, and dashed down the hall and around the corner, out of the line of sight from the door frame.

Jessica: Jess sighed and got up, crossing to the door and opening it to tell Curt that Laura wasn't there. Except there was no Curt. Just a bag. She frowned at it and looked up and down the hall to see if she could see the owner. Nope. She looked down at it again. Wait. "Danny?"

Danny: He waited for her to peer around the corner. He wanted to really surprise her.

Jessica: She stepped out into the hall and tried to listen for footsteps or any other signs of life before heading down one way.

Danny: Danny coughed around the corner.

Jessica: Jess ran the rest of the way and pounced on him.

Danny: "He-oof!" he fell backwards as he wrapped his arms around her. "Good to see you!" He said. His blue and orange beanie, which was covering down to the very ends of his ears, started to slide upwards on his freshly shaved head.

Jessica: "I missed you so much!" She squeezed him tight then sat up a little. "... What happened to you?" He had a beard!

Danny: "I... went to rehab." He said, then noticed her touching his beard. "Oh... that. It's just a small one. I'm gonna keep it trimmed. You okay with that?"

Jessica: "Uh... I don't know... Are you going to grow some hair back?" She plucked the hat off his head, "Or is this a trade-out?"

Danny: "... It migrated." He said, rubbing his shiny bald head. "Y'don't like it?"

Jessica: "I don't know... it's too early to say...." she frowned a little.

Danny: "You're sitting on me." He pointed out. "I can't give you kisses until I'm up..."

Jessica: "You can. You're just not trying hard enough." She leaned down so that her face was nearer his. "Better?"

Danny: "Almost...." he whispered. "Just a little bit more."

Jessica: She grinned and closed the gap to kiss him.

Danny: He kissed her back and smiled. "Beardface." He ruffled it against her.

Jessica: "Gah!" she sat up again, "Okay. New rule. None of that." she scrubbed her face with her hands.

Danny: "None of what, this?" He lifted her shirt and rubbed his beard all over her flat belly, making raspberries."

Jessica: "Gaaaaaah! Stoooooop!" She squirmed away from him.

Danny: "Or this?" He got on top of her and put his bald head on her belly next. "Rub, rub, rub, rub...."

Jessica: "Seriously! Stop!" she put her hands on her shoulders and held him at arms length. "That's weird!"

Danny: He howled with laughter. "Sorry, I missed you..." He snorted. "Can I please go in your room? I'm exhausted."

Jessica: She nodded and got up, holding out her hand in offer to help him up.

Danny: He took it but mostly used his own leg muscles to get himself up. "Thanks. I didn't have a lot to do, so I did a lot of push ups. Check this out!" He pushed his sleeves up and flexed his muscles. They had become stupidly big.

Jessica: "Huh... wow..." She led the way back to her room and picked up his bag to bring it inside with them so no one fell over it in the hall.

Danny: "I feel... like a meathead. I'm going to go vegan for awhile, try to lean out."

Jessica: She flopped onto the bed, "I'll cook for you then when I make my lunches if you want...."

Danny: "Sure." He said, flopping next to her. "Oh... God... it's so good to be back here with you. I got so many dirty looks from the others coming in..."

Jessica: She smiled, "It's good to know I can make people jealous." She rolled over to face him.

Danny: He grinned back to her. "That's what it was, you're right."

Danny: "Also, there's a super important thing I need to tell you. You ready?" His grin became a more serious face.

Jessica: She frowned a little at the sudden seriousness. "I suppose so?"

Danny: "I have to go to Japan on Friday." He said softly.

Jessica: "Oh... okay... that was a little sooner than I expected... I can come with you, right?"

Danny: "Absolutely. That's why I'm telling you." he said. "Seriously, if you think about it... this is going to be a heckuva vacation for us."

Jessica: She smiled for that but it was quickly covered by a look of confusion, "Why?"

Danny: "Well... it's Japan. It's a quiet little village around a temple, it's not very big. It's quite relaxing. Easy-going, even."

Jessica: She smiled again and cuddled close to him, "That sounds really nice..."

Danny: "It should be. I'm not sure how far into the temple you'll be allowed to go." He admitted.

Jessica: "That's okay... I'm sure I can find ways to occupy myself... hey maybe I can show up some novices with my awesome skills..." she gave him a small grin and kissed his cheek.

Danny: He grinned back. "You'd be surprised, even the kids are pretty good. I saw a six year old break two cinderblocks."

Jessica: "Blocks don't dodge."

Danny: Shrugging, he said "fair enough." With that, he got up, tore off his shirt then the rest of his clothing and headed for the shower. "I'm in dire need of one of these. I did a couple laps before Dr. Summers and I took off, and I have regretted it since."

Jessica: She blinked at the sudden nakedness, "Do I have to wait out here?"

Danny: "Nope. You can come in here and talk with me, if you'd like." he offered.

Jessica: She frowned a little, "I have to be limited to just talking?"

Danny: He smiled and said "Well... if you want to come in here with me, I can't be too opposed to that, can I?"

Jessica: "That's better. I was starting to worry you'd decided you didn't like me anymore." She got up and undressed too before following him into the bathroom.

Danny: He winked to her and slid the shower door open, allowing her in first. "Not possible." He said.

Jessica: She smiled and climbed in ahead of him. "Good. Because I've missed you a lot and I'm sure I owe you some serious attention."

Danny: He kissed her softly as his hands searched her bare back. "I could settle with that assumption." His left hand drifted away from her back and found its way over to the shower dial.

Danny: He flicked it on, but she had leaned into him and prevented him from turning it all the way. It was on freezing cold.

Jessica: She shrieked a little at the cold water then laughed and turned to fix it.

Danny: Danny shrieked a bit as well but laughed as he kissed her neck. "Well... looks like the excitement is all gone."

Jessica: "Oh that's terribly sad we'll have to fix that." She slid her arms around him and turned her head to catch his lips, kissing him passionately.

Danny: He allowed the kiss and found himself wrapped in her arms. "I can't get any real showering done if you keep doing this..." he huffed to her.

Jessica: She laughed a little and nipped his ear, "We're not in a hurry."
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Re: Summer 2015: Jessica

Post by Svartfreja »

Jessica: Jess was taking a walk around the grounds because she figured she'd miss having the freedom to do what she wanted while she was in Japan at this temple place with Danny. She'd been in the greenhouses and checked out everything in there and now she was in the outdoor gardens. There were lots of roses. They were nice to look at and reminded her of her childhood.

Paige: Paige was just taking a stroll through the gardens as well, putting on a smile as soon as she saw the student. "Hiiiiii!"

Jessica: Jess gave a start of surprise and turned to look who was greeting her. The voice was familiar but she didn't know the face. "Uh... hello..."

Paige: "I'm Pa-Miss Guthrie! You like the gardens? Aren't they pretty?! I like to spend time outdoors."

Jessica: She blinked a little. Wow she talked fast. "Um... yes... they're very nice... I'm Jessica..."

Paige: "Jessica like Danny's Jessica? Or is there another Jessica?"

Jessica: "As far as I know there's only one of me... and if by 'Danny's' you're asking if I'm dating him then yes...." she nodded.

Paige: "I met Danny. He seems nice. And good to meet you! And no I didn't mean to show possession because you aren't a possession you're a person, but yeah it helps keep people straight!"

Jessica: "Oh... okay... nice to meet you too?" She chewed her lip and shifted awkwardly.

Paige: "So where are you from, what can you do, want a gummy bear?" She offered to share the bag with Jess.

Jessica: Jess shook her head at the offer of sweets, "I'm from... a lot of places... but I was born in London..." she looked around, "My powers are hard to explain..."

Paige: "Why are they hard to explain?" Paige munched on a bear.

Jessica: "It's just better if I can demonstrate... and I try to keep one of them quiet but you're a teacher so you probably have to know...."

Paige: "Oooo demonstration!" Paige clapped her hands a bit. "Yay!"

Jessica: "Well I can fly... that one's easy enough..." she lifted into the air a little. "And I can stick to things... like the other spider person here..."

Paige: "Ohhhh bravo!" Paige applauded her. "Very cool!"

Jessica: "I have stupidly good hearing," she landed, "And this..." she charged a venom blast in her hand and held it up. "It's bio electricity so don't touch it..."

Paige: "Ohhhh!" Paige tried to keep her voice down just a bit. "It's so pretty though..."

Jessica: "Yeah but it hurts like hell... I got myself with it once years ago. Oh my God."

Paige: "Ouch! No fun to not be immune to your own power." Paige laughed a bit.

Jessica: "It really isn't... but I think my powers were just given to me to be a major pain in the ass anyway... the enhanced hearing is not fun either and then there's the other thing..."

Paige: "I imagine it would be a pain... especially with excitable people. What is the other thing?"

Jessica: "I can release two kinds of pheromone... One kind makes people terrified of me... and the other makes people attracted to me..."

Paige: "Well that could be handy... but suuuuuper awkward!"

Jessica: "Yeah... I don't have a lot of control over it... and I'm worried if people knew they'd think I was manipulating them and I don't have a lot of friends as it is..."

Paige: "Well... you should make more friends! Everyone here has a power they couldn't control at one point. You'll get the hang of it."

Jessica: "But I won't though... it's a natural thing my body does... sometimes I don't even realise it until it's too late... I can actively use it too but it's the not using it when I don't mean to that's the problem... I freaked out when Danny said he liked me because I thought I'd accidentally used them on him but we tested it and it's okay... that's actually real..."

Paige: Paige wasn't quite sure what to say to that. "Who says you won't get control over it?"

Jessica: "I do. I've been trying for years... I can't tell when I'm doing it sometimes... it's like a defence mechanism... I do it when I'm anxious or frightened or angry and I can't stop it from happening..."

Paige: What was it with this pessimistic couple anyway? "Well, at least it's not your only power right?!"

Jessica: "Yeah there's that..." she nodded, lifting a hand to run her fingers through her hair before thinking better of it. "I just have to be extra careful and there are some people I should probably just not ever be around on my own..." she frowned a little. "Oh yeah there's another power that I forgot about... I don't like it so I try to pretend that isn't there a lot..."

Paige: "Which is....?"

Jessica: "I'm immune to any and all drugs and toxins," she sighed. "Can't even get drunk."

Paige: "But that's kind of awesome! Why would you want to forget about that?"

Jessica: "Because it's not as awesome as it sounds. You have an operation when you're wide awake and can feel everything and then tell me it's great." She lifted her top to show the scar on her side.

Paige: "Ouch! But they have patches to block your powers now!"

Jessica: "I know... but I spoke to Doctor Summers about it and he said it could make my powers come back stronger... and I don't want it to be even worse with my pheromones..."

Paige: "Well that's only temporary... and better than an operation awake!"

Jessica: "Yeah... honestly I'd rather just avoid the need for any more operations."

Paige: "Well of course there's that. But I'm just saying... ouchie!!"

Jessica: "Mmhmm, it hurts... I passed out somewhere in the middle so it's not all bad..."

Paige: Paige couldn't stop herself from hugging Jess. "I'm so sorry."

Jessica: Jess blinked at the sudden hug and wasn't sure what to do with that. Was it okay to return a hug from a teacher? "It's fine..."

Paige: Paige released her with a smile. "Well good. So are you into hair, nails, makeup anything girly?"

Jessica: "Um... I don't think so? I've not really... I don't have a lot of female friends... this is kind of all new to me... the friends thing..."

Paige: "You should come try cosmetology. You have gorgeous hair. I can show you some neat things to do with it."

Jessica: "I, um... I don't know... I kind of just... I don't do a lot with it..."

Paige: Paige just stared at her, waiting for her to make the connection.

Jessica: She chewed her lip, "Did you mean... right now?"

Paige: "Not right now, but definitely this fall. Though I'm always open to play beauty shop for events... like dates and such."

Jessica: "Oh... um... we don't really... we haven't had a lot of time..." she wasn't especially comfortable with this topic.

Paige: "You don't really go on dates? Awwww maybe you will now that he's back!"

Jessica: "I don't know... I don't understand the point..." she gave a shrug.

Paige: "In dates?! There's all kinds of point in dates!"

Jessica: "Like what?" she cocked her head on one side. Maybe she could actually learn something useful.

Paige: "The point is to go do something fun with the person you like. I mean, sitting around, talking, watching movies, that's all great... but half the adventure of life is outside. So going places... doing things..."

Jessica: "I've never really... I haven't had a lot of experience with outside... I was kind of sheltered.... so all I know is inside fun...."

Paige: "Sounds like all the more reason to leave the mansion every now and then... or just use the danger room."

Jessica: "I thought the danger room was just for training?"

Paige: "Mostly... but you can always take it out for fun things!"

Jessica: "I didn't know that..." she ran a hand through her hair, "But even so... it'd just be awkward... I've never done that stuff and neither has he... it's scary..."

Paige: "Avoiding something because you're scared of it, doesn't help you in the long run. It just feeds the fear and keeps you trapped where you are. Never allows you to grow."

Jessica: "But why should we both suffer just to fulfill some social convention? We don't need to do it..."

Paige: "You could argue that everything we do is a social convention built on tradition and culture. Everything we do falls under one convention or another. And being able to function in that society is a pretty big deal."

Jessica: "I don't know how..." she looked down at the ground, "There weren't tutors for that."

Paige: "Because nobody thinks of things like this!" Paige was exasperated. People who didn't see the point of functioning outside the mansion? "I mean, you can't stay holed up here your whole life. Or anywhere. Trust me... there's only so much Oprah you can take!"

Jessica: "I don't know what that is..." she chewed her lip, "I grew up confined to the house... you can't miss what you've never had..."

Paige: "Ok... when Lorna and I go shopping... you might need to come with us. Because this saddens me greatly!"

Jessica: "Maybe... when I come back from Japan.... we're going soon..."

Paige: "Ooo Japan!"

Jessica: "Yeah... he wants to visit where he grew up... so I said I'd go with him..."

Paige: "That sounds like a neat trip! It's cool to see where people grew up."

Jessica: She gave a shrug, "I suppose so..."

Paige: "You aren't excited to go?" Paige munched on another gummy bear.

Jessica: "I've been to Japan before..." she rubbed a hand over where the scar was distractedly. "He grew up in a temple... he said the village is small and quiet and that I probably wouldn't be allowed that far into the grounds themselves so.... I don't know... it's hard to be excited... but I think it'll be nice and relaxing..."

Paige: "Why wouldn't you be allowed onto the grounds? That sounds odd."

Jessica: "Not really... it's a distraction to have a woman around when they're training and meditating..." she gave a shrug.

Paige: Paige snickered at that. "You're just too pretty for them!"

Jessica: She laughed a little, "Could be." She ran a hand through her hair and glanced back to the school. "But we'll see when I get there... I'm sure I can find some way to occupy myself."

Paige: "I'm sure you will." She smiled at her. "You seem clever enough."

Jessica: "I've always been told I'm bright. I guess we'll find out if that's true or not when I join regular classes."

Paige: "You are still welcome to try any of mine. They are more... hands on. Less academic."

Jessica: "Well I'll see how it goes... I've been choosing classes based around my work schedule but I'll probably have to have a proper sit and think about it before next semester starts...."

Paige: "Well, if you have the time. You're more than welcome." Paige smiled at her.

Jessica: She smiled back, "Thanks... I'll think about it..."

Paige: "All I can ask! Well, enjoy the rest of your walk!"

Jessica: "Thanks... I'll try..." she gave a small wave and turned to carry on.

Paige: Paige hummed happily to herself as she went about her merry way.

IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

[[Placeholder for pool instance]]

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Jess chewed her lip as she waited nervously in the queue at the bank. She'd put it off too long, this should have been done weeks ago. She sighed a little at her own epic procrastination skills and moved up her place. She still had to get a few last minute things... maybe just half of it. She chewed her lip some more and shifted uncomfortably as the person behind her stepped a little too close. Ugh. It was hard to tell if it was impatience or lechery so she worked on ignoring it.

Oh thank God. Her turn. She stepped up and gave the teller her details, "I'd like to make a withdrawal please..."

"And how much will you be withdrawing today?"

"Um... just half of what's in there..."

"Alright... You'll have to wait a few minutes, ma'am. I have to get my manager for anything over a thousand."

"W-what?!" She tried to keep her voice down, "What did you say?"

"Seventeen hundred and fifty dollars. That's half, right?"

"No, no that's not right." That was so not right at all.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. Did you expect to have more in there? That happens some-"

"No! How did that get in there?!" Well so much for keeping her voice down. "I think I'll talk to that manager now...."

--

Jess felt very self-conscious as she walked down the street to the store. Of course, none of these people knew the conversation she'd just had with the bank manager about a mysterious donor into her account but it didn't stop her from feeling like they were staring at her.... and maybe they were. Was she doing that thing with the pheromones again?

She had to calm down. This was ridiculous. But who was it?! Was it Danny? No... he wouldn't... would he? She shook her head. No. That train of thought was being derailed right now. She looked around the store and had to squash the wave of excitement that suddenly flooded her. She could get whatever she wanted and not feel guilty! Except for that little voice in the back of her head that still insisted it had to be some kind of a mistake and they'd take it away again...

--

Three hours later Jess was back in her room and actually packing properly. With new clothes for the first time in forever. She couldn't feel too bad... what else had she been saving for in the first place? And she hadn't spent that much. She'd been very strict with herself there. But now she could maybe think about hiring someone professional to look into her family for her? There wasn't a lot of time to do it herself between work and school. Yes. That's what she would use it for. She smiled to herself. When she got back she'd look into it.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Oh so it seems Danny isn't the only one with money now... Hmmm... I wonder how long until Jess gets bored with her sugar daddy. ;)
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Danny: Danny stepped into the village, his single duffle bag over his shoulder, his left hand holding Jessica's right.

Danny: "This is... or was, my home. More or less." He told her.

Jessica: She smiled, looking around, "It looks nice." She gave his hand a squeeze and shifted the weight of her own bag. At least she didn't look all scruffy in second hand clothes to meet all these people now, it made her feel much more confident.

Danny: The village had an archway that led into the main square. The walls around the village were built practically on the cliffed ledge, the broken rocky path between boulders leading up to the walkway they had just passed.

Danny: Ahead, at the center of the village, was the temple. The buildings were painted shades of yellow and red, the architecture beautiful and incredibly traditional (in Japanese respects). Pillars shaped like dragons, samurai masks carved into doors, the place was like a set from a movie.

Danny: "Wow... looks like they've re-painted since I was gone. The colors got... brighter." He walked with her down the pebbled road, waving to some old faces.

Jessica: She smiled, "That's good right? It seems really peaceful here... I'd've been sad to leave...."

Danny: "It was a much needed break after 19 years, I assure you." He said.

Jessica: "I don't know... I think I'd have liked it here too much... it's quiet."

Danny: "You're more than welcome to stay with me here." He offered. "I'm uh... having some doubts about going back." He looked to her quickly. "Not that I won't, I will... but I think I'm going to be coming back here a little more frequenly than once a year from now on."

Jessica: She shook her head, "I think I need to go back... it's becoming increasingly obvious that I need to work on my social skills..." She sighed and ran a hand through her hair, "They'll understand better there..."

Danny: "No one is more understanding than these people." He insisted with a smile. They approached the temple doors. On the grounds were monks training, holding poses in five groups of about six or so. As the doors opened for them, Danny could hear Master Ken Harada bellowing loudly to a student in strict, old Japanese.

Danny: He had turned towards the door and froze at the sight of Danny. "Daniel-san!" He shouted. His hands clasped together and Danny dropped his bag. The two bowed to each other.

Danny: "Who is this lovely young lady?" He asked with a deep Japanese accent, his long white eyebrows lifting.

Jessica: "Well I don't know these people and I'm not sure I can go through all that again...." she trailled off at the greeting and waited awkwardly.

Danny: "This is Jessica, my girlfriend." He informed his Master. "She is visiting with me during our summer break in school." Everyone in earshot laughed. Breaks. From schooling. Hilarious.

Jessica: Jess rubbed an arm distractedly and offered a small smile.

Danny: The Master continued to chuckle at the joke and approached Jess. He bowed towards her, then took her hand and kissed the top of it gently. "Hello, I am Master Ken Harada. My school is open to your beauty, you may explore as you wish." He smiled warmly to her.

Jessica: She blinked a little, "Uh... thank you?"

Danny: Danny smirked and patted her back. "Master Harada is a very good person. He has been around in my life for many years and I owe him... a lot."

Jessica: She nodded, "That's... nice..." she wasn't sure what else to say.

Danny: "You do not slouch." he said with a smile. "You have had many teachers. Your posture is ... professional. I respect that. Feel free to use our facilities and training tools if you feel so inclined. Danny and I shall be having dinner this evening, you are more than welcome." Danny was about to say 'Actually, Jess and I-' but realized he was being instructed not requested.

Jessica: She nodded again, "Thank you... I'm sure that will be lovely..." she offered a small nervous smile.

Danny: "I should be in my old room, I assume?" He asked. "Yes," Master Harada replied "and young Jess here can join you. I expect noooo hankypanky." He added, with a wink.

Jessica: And now she was blushing. She looked down at the floor.

Danny: Master Harada laughed loudly, it boomed throughout the halls. "Well, Danny you must go on and prepare yourself. I will see you in half an hour." Danny nodded. "Alright, I promise."

Danny: Harada's large hand clapped on Danny's shoulder and he winked again to Jess. "This is good man. Always do right thing by others. Trained him well." He shook Danny away and directed him down the hall. Danny pulled Jess' hand with him.

Jessica: Jess hurried away with him and leaned to whisper to him, "Soooo that was really awkward...."

Danny: "That was nothing..." He said. "You haven't met Shang-Chi."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Jessica: Jess ate her food in relative silence. She figured it would be safer to just speak when she was spoken to... which was how she'd been raised anyway. She was here for Danny so she'd just let him do whatever and try to be supportive and not make it worse.

Danny: He smiled at her from across the table. Master Harada ate quietly and when he had finished the servers took the food and he was given a small fruit he sliced up himself. He chewed on it thoughtfully.

Danny: "So Danny... what is this news of your chi changing color? You spoke to me of it quite some time ago, but I haven't heard from you until you showed up this afternoon. Care to explain?"

Danny: Danny clared his throat and looked to Jess. "Yeah uh..."

Jessica: Jess chewed her lip, not really sure why he was looking at her. She gave him what she hoped was a reassuring look.

Danny: "Well..." He tried to find a way to explain. "I had to go to rehab. I ... had a bad experience. I tried to remove some... dark decisions. From my soul. I feared they-"

Danny: "Had tainted your chi and therefore changed your soul into a blacker one. Yes, I see." Harada stroked his beard, chewing back at his fruit.

Danny: "Jess uh... found me. In the midst of my really poor decision and brought me to the hospital."

Danny: Harada leered towards Jess. "You? You found him and saved his life?"

Jessica: "Um... I... yeah? I couldn't just leave him there..." she wasn't sure she liked the look she was getting.

Danny: He leaned forward towards her. "You saved Daniel's life, yes? You did not let him die."

Jessica: She nodded, "Of course I did. Why would I have just let him die? I'd be a pretty crappy girlfriend if I did that..."

Danny: He smiled, rose from his cushion on the floor and approached her. "Please rise." he said softly as he stood over her.

Jessica: She blinked and shot a slightly alarmed look Danny's way before doing as requested because she was kind of programmed to follow instructions like that.

Danny: He took in a deep breath and then, suddenly, took her into his arms and hugged her tightly.

Danny: "Thank you. You have saved this young man who is like my son... Thank you. I am in your debt."

Jessica: Jess barely managed to contain the flailing. "Oh no, it's fine... really..." She patted him awkwardly.

Danny: He sounded like he ws internally crying. He finished the embrace and then bowed to her. He returned to his seat and looked to Danny, who had a very wide open mouth. "Danny-san, your jaw is practically on the table."

Jessica: Jess retook her seat and focused back on her food. Food didn't surprise her with hugs. Food was her friend.

Danny: "So..." Harada continued. "Why would this darkness have -... Daniel. Stop staring at her and please focus. Why did this darkness suddenly find its way inside you?"

Danny: Danny faced his food, like Jess did. "I uh... I was part of a bad organization. We did some bad things. I used the skills I learned here to... to wreak vengeance on someone who had been assaulting our school. They were torturing our students, my friends-"

Danny: "Daniel, am I hearing what you did or am I hearing your excuses?" He asked sternly.

Jessica: Jess glanced up at Danny then over at Harada. She wondered if she should offer her opinion or just keep quiet. Probably better to just not say anything... God this was so awkward. She couldn't help thinking someone with more experience of this social stuff would find this easier than her.

Danny: "I... Sir, I found the Hand and I killed their leader." He said, putting his face nearly into his rice.

Danny: Harada sat silent, but he seemed like a kettle, slowly steaming. His eyes were stern, unwavering, but his brow continued to fold in new ways as he thought of different things to say.

Jessica: And I was supposed to go with you.... Jess internally rolled her eyes. "I feel like I should take some of the blame for this..."

Danny: "Silence!" His hand shot up towards her, but he never turned to her. He stared daggers at Danny. "Daniel-san, stand up!"

Jessica: Jess flinched a little and sank lower in her seat.

Danny: Danny shot up and Harada rose with him. "You took the power within you, your natural mutant ability? You took my lessons, how I taught you how to control this ability and focus it with your chi? You took my words!" spit was coming from his mouth.

Danny: "My lessons!?" He approached Danny. "YOI!" He shouted, which was a command to get ready. Before Danny could raise his fore arms to the sdies of his face, Harada's hand came up and slapped Danny across the face.

Danny: It came again. And again. Danny took it. "How dare you!?"

Jessica: Jess' hands went up to cover her mouth before she found herself on her feet too, "Stop! Please stop it!"

Danny: He turned to face Jess. "You think I seek to hurt my student? My son? He is being punished. He understands." He looked to Danny. "You are banished from this table." Danny felt a knife in his heart. He was terrified of this. And what was next.

Danny: "And you are banished from my temple."

Jessica: "Oh don't... please don't..." she said in a small voice, her heart was breaking for Danny. This was too much on top of everything else.

Danny: "You are banished from this temple, but this is still your home. This village. We are still your family. But you have lost your privileges as a student of the Iron Fist." Danny fought back tears but bowed to his sensei, in understanding.

Danny: "And... I still love you." He grabbed him and hugged him. "But you no longer are part of this world. You have changed."

Jessica: Jess went to Danny, unsure whether it was appropriate to hug him right now but wanting to very badly. She offered him her hand instead.

Danny: He took her hand and looked to his Sensei. "I... I am trying to make myself better."

Danny: "I know." Harada replied. "But you're not yet." He looked to Jess. "She'll help. Go with her."

Jessica: Jess gave his hand a squeeze and nodded, "I will. I've said that all along, haven't I? You just have to ask."

Danny: Danny took in a deep breath and started to walk with Jess. But first, he stopped. He let go, walked up to his Master and stared at him. "Thank you. I appreciate everything,... however." He took off his dragon-necklace and threw it to the floor. "I'm not your son. My Father has a corporation you hid me from for years, and with it I can do more good than I ever could with the things you taught me. So guess where I'm going next?"

Danny: Harada smiled. "Good. You have finally learned something." He turned on Danny and left the room, three servants leaving with him. Danny sat alone, his face screwed into some twisted prevention of sobbing and screaming, and he huffed as Jess stood awkwardly behind him.

Jessica: Jess chewed her lip, not sure what to do now. She bent and picked up the necklace, "Danny..."

Danny: "I... I think we'll stay here for one more night. And then we'll leave. Ater I've spoken with Shang." He turned to her and hugged her tightly, then pulled his head away long enough to kiss her.

Jessica: She kissed him back, resting her forehead against his when they broke apart, "Where do you want to go after?"

Danny: "... Rand Headquarters in Tokyo." he said sternly.

Jessica: "Tokyo?" She chewed her lip, "O-okay...." she hugged him again, "Come on... let's go back to your room..."

Danny: He let her practically pull him. He felt like a mule being led up a mountain. It was tiresome, this place. Now he realized why he had avoided coming back. He had changed. He had moved on. This was no longer his life, or who he was. He looked to Jess and stopped her. "Jess."

Jessica: She paused and looked back at him, "Mmm?"

Danny: As he opened his mouth, the Saturday Evening Fireworks show (put on by the monks for the people in the village, every first weekend in the summer) began. The colors erupted in the sky above him, lighting up the stars and clouds. Yellows and reds and greens dripped down and crackled above them.

Danny: As the bright lights exploded in the sky, Danny smiled and said "... I love you."

Jessica: She gave him a small shove, "Enough of that." She did kiss him however then pulled him towards his room again.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Danny: Harada knocked on the door as Danny packed his clothes into the duffle bag.

Danny: Danny went to the door, opened it, and stood before him, not allowing him to enter the room. Danny bowed, but not as courteously as he should have.

Jessica: Jess glanced over from her seat on the end of Danny's bed and chewed her lip. She offered a small smile to Danny's mentor and father figure.

Danny: Harada nodded to Jess. "Danny, I would like to speak with you. In private."

Danny: Danny shook his head. "Whatever you have to say to me, you say in front of her." he said sternly. His face refused to flinch.

Jessica: "I can go if you'd prefer... I don't mind..." it wasn't like she wouldn't hear it.

Danny: "No." Danny said, his voice raising. "Stay." Harada nodded again and tried to smile.

Danny: "Our ninjas did some digging. It turns out what you thought about The Hand... what you think you did, you didn't." Danny stared at him, confused. "What?"

Jessica: Jess also gave him a confused look, "He didn't... didn't kill that guy?"

Danny: "No. He shamed him, rendered him unconscious. They did the killing for Danny, because he collapsed from blood loss and exhaustion." He frowned to Danny. "This means you are the new leader of The Hand. You survived. You won. You're The Beast."

Danny: Danny's knees nearly gave out. "Wha-what?"

Jessica: Jess just stared. "He's the new leader of a crazy bunch of assassin ninjas?"

Danny: "No." Harada said quietly. "He is now the leader of the most organized, arguably largest collection of assassin's in Asia and arguably even the Western World. They just happen to be, as you said, crazy. And assassins. They once stood for things more... impressive. But now, they do not see you as a Leader."

Danny: "Danny the group is certainly fighting internally, and no doubt you are being subject to their internal civil war, which is being fought behind closed doors."

Danny: "I can't imagine many of them are very happy an X-Man, or whatever you call yourself now, became the leader of their organization out of some self-righteous attempt to inact vengeance upon them."

Jessica: "Of course they're not... Danny has a conscience. They probably hate that in a person..."

Danny: Danny couldn't put words together to say aything. "I ... I don't know what to say."

Jessica: "You could start with 'yay'?" She suggested with a small smile.

Danny: "They're trying to kill you. They have been for probably months." Harada added.

Jessica: Jess wrinkled her nose. That wasn't so good. "Well at least they're apparently awful at it? ... Huh... they should probably look at getting a new job...."

Danny: "Actually they're brilliant." Harada said to Danny, who had finally sat down out of fear of passing out.

Danny: "They are trying to make you suicidal, so the faction of the group who want to be rid of you are not held responsible for their leader's death. They are driving you insane. That is probably why your energy chi is blackened. Have you noticed any strange marks in your arms or other places in your body?"

Danny: Danny's jaw dropped. "My... back of my legs at first, then it was another set of rashes around the back of my neck. Wait, but... how?"

Jessica: Jess was kind of glad she was immune to poisons and things. She avoided most of this crap. She put a hand on Danny's shoulder.

Danny: "It seems they wanted to poison you to force you to believe you had done something wrong when you killed the Beast. The chances are they didn't know about your organization from your school." He suddenly felt more sympathy for his pupil. "You are not being targeted because of who you are, you are being targeted because of what you stand for." He reminded him. "You are opposite of what they believe, they cannot have you as a leader. You need to renounce your leadership to them."

Jessica: "How do you resign from a super secret organisation you didn't know you'd joined in the first place?"

Danny: "The same way you became their leader." He looked to Danny. "Accept their challenge. Each time they make an attempt at your life they are challenging you. You need to catch them, engage them, and let them live. The true leader would kill them. You are handing your position over if you do this."

Danny: Danny didn't like the sound of that. "So I'm not stopping the organization, just getting them off my back?" Danny pushed.

Jessica: "But how is he supposed to engage them when we haven't seen them poisoning him?"

Danny: Harada shrugged. "You love him? Watch him while he sleeps. They won't hear you. You are..." he smiled. "Well trained."

Jessica: She shifted awkwardly at the question, "Okay... it's not like I sleep a lot anyway...."

Danny: "Danny... I'm sorry about how things ended last night." He confessed.

Danny: "Am I still banished?" Danny asked, unphased by the apology. Harada sighed. "Yes... until you can lift this great dishonor off yourself. You must be. It's... tradition."

Danny: Danny frowned. "I never liked tradition. Thank you for teaching me everything Sensei. But I really need to get to Tokyo. I have a family company to earn."

Jessica: "There's no reason we can't do both of those things... I have something I should do in Tokyo too..." she still wasn't sure she wanted to go, however.

Danny: "Both of what things?" Danny asked, confused.

Jessica: "Earning you back your honour or whatever and getting you installed in your family's business. We can do both. It's called multitasking. Apparently women are really good at it."

Danny: Harada and Danny both looked at eachother and then to Jess. "And... what do you have to do in Tokyo?" He asked her, curious.

Jessica: She sighed, running a hand through her hair and looking away from them. "I have to visit someone..."

Danny: Danny could tell it was something private. "Okay... we'll do that. First, in fact." Harada patted Danny's back.

Danny: "You had better get going, there's no vehicles for quite some walk, certainly none headed to Tokyo." He looked to Jessica and tried to smile. "Take care of my Daniel-san."

Jessica: She took a deep breath to steady herself before nodding and turning her head back towards Harada with a smile, "I will, I promise... and don't worry about the walk, we can manage."

Danny: They said their good-byes and before Danny knew it he was headed out with her. "I didn't get to see Shang. Apparently he's away, doing work in the slums of Hong Kong, trying to help communities get out from under Triad rule. It's... messed up."

Jessica: She slipped an arm around him, "Well then we'll just have to call ahead next time to make sure he's here." She kissed his cheek. "Or go to him."

Danny: "Or invite him to us?" Danny asked as he pecked her back.

Jessica: She nodded, "That too." she gave him a smile and leaned against him a little as they walked. "So... how are we getting to Tokyo?"

Danny: "... We'll figure it out." he assured her.

Jessica: She laughed a little, "I guess I'll take your word for it.... but if we're hitchhiking you're with the right girl."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Hope: Hope took Johnny's phone and went to find a quiet corner in the house. She curled up in it and thumbed through until she found Jess's number. She hit dial.

Jessica: Jess startled a little, not really expecting her phone to ring at all never mind in the middle of the night. She grabbed it and slipped out of the window, adhering to the wall while she answered the call, "Johnny? Do you have any idea what time it is?!"

Hope: "Sorry.... it's Hope... where are you?" Hope cringed a bit. She felt bad for waking her up.

Jessica: "Hope?" she checked the caller id. Nope. Still said Johnny. "I'm in Tokyo with Danny..."

Hope: "Ah crap. Sorry... I can call back later?"

Jessica: "No, it's fine... later is not going to be good..." she ran a hand through her hair, "What's up?" She watched the lights of the city out in front of her. Maybe she could wander up to the roof....

Hope: Hope sighed and leaned her head back against the wall. "I don't know what's going on with Johnny. He's just... more distant than usual. And he's gone out drinking with Curt and then Curt and Mel, which meant that I was here alone with Sue, so I went to town on my own."

Jessica: She raised an eyebrow, "Didn't he invite you there? What's he doing not taking you out drinking?" Yep. Roof. She counted the windows as she headed up.

Hope: "I don't know. So I went to the pub by myself and some local guy bought me some drinks and he saw us and got all pissy with me over it. Like he doesn't flirt with anything with a vagina."

Jessica: "Ugh... he's being stupid. Did you tell him he's being stupid?" She sat down on the edge of the roof.

Hope: "He thought I'd actually go sleep with that guy. I mean seriously? Seriously?!"

Jessica: She wrinkled her nose, "That's ridiculous! What does he take you for?!"

Hope: "I don't even know! And then on top of his crap, I keep getting these bad thoughts that just won't go away. And they are backed up by his attitude. Like does he even really still like me? Or is he just staying with me out of obligation throgh my PTSD?"

Jessica: "Oh now come on... why wouldn't he still like you? Yeah he's being a complete ass but that is kind of normal for him..." she chewed her lip, "If I was there I'd offer to talk to him for you but I suppose there's not a lot I can do from here..."

Hope: "Curt slipped up and mentioned that he's exasperated with me. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I try to give him some space so I'm not all clingy and crap and it's just not working." Hope bit down hard to keep herself from crying. No way was she going back into Sue's room with tears on her face.

Jessica: She frowned, "I don't know what to tell you... I'm not exactly an expert at this relationship stuff... have you tried just talking to him about it?"

Hope: "It's hard to get any time with him at all, let alone, you know, alone." She pulled at her hair a bit.

Jessica: "So go on a walk with him somewhere? I'm sure there are nice hiking routes nearby or something... just do something together. You're supposed to be dating I'm sure the others will get it if you want some alone time..."

Hope: Hope nodded, running her hand through her hair. "Ok... ok you're right. You're amazing, you know that?"

Jessica: "Oh don't you start," she said with a small smirk, "Next thing I know you'll be blurting out the l word too."

Hope: Hope laughed at her. "Well I already blurted that out once already and look where it got me?"

Jessica: "Well with me it might get you thrown of a roof... I think Danny's deliberately avoiding saying it on roofs for that reason." she ran a hand through her hair. "I got hugged by his teacher-father guy too... that was totally weird by the way."

Hope: "Yeah no kidding! Is it just gorgeous there?"

Jessica: "The village was really nice but we only stayed for a couple of days... it got totally awkward after he mentioned the whole x-force thing and then he was all banished and whatever... did I mention it was just weird?"

Hope: "....ouch. He got banished?! That guy just can't catch a break." Sounded a bit like her own luck lately.

Jessica: "Yeah, tell me about it... also he's being poisoned by some supersecret ninja assassins so I'm supposed to be on guard duty." She peered down to her window.

Hope: Hope just blinked at that, then realized Jess couldn't see her face. "Like for real? Not like... some crazy joke?"

Jessica: "Yes for real. Welcome to my life. It's fucked up."

Hope: "And I thought I had problems." She sighed and lay down on the floor, staring at the ceiling.

Jessica: "I want your problems, they're less crazy..." she looked down the side of the building again then decided to move onto the roof properly before she did something dumb like drop her phone thirty stories. She found a spot and lay back to look up at the stars. "It's looking like we won't be in Japan much longer though..."

Hope: "I'm sorry... I'm here till the end of the summer. Providing Sue doesn't kill me in my sleep. I think she's considered it."

Jessica: "She won't kill you, she's too much of a good girl really. And don't worry about me, I'm sure I can find something to do..." she chewed her lip, "Something else crazy happened before I left..."

Hope: "What else crazy happened?" Because really? Wasn't there only so much crazy in the world?

Jessica: "I went to take some money out of my account so I could get it exchanged... I got kind of a surprise at the bank..." she scrubbed her face with her free hand, "There was... a lot more in there than there should have been..."

Hope: "But... how?!" Hope nearly sat up at that, then remembered to keep her voice down.

Jessica: "I have no idea... they insisted it wasn't a mistake - someone gifted it into my account and asked to remain annonymous..."

Hope: Hope wrinkled her nose a bit. "You think like, Xavier would do something like that? Maybe I should check my own account..."

Jessica: "I don't know... wouldn't he have warned me first or something?" she frowned, "It's not the first time something weird like this has happened though..."

Hope: "What else weird has happened?"

Jessica: "This phone was a surprise gift too... Johnny was there when I opened it. All paid and everything..."

Hope: "That's... really weird too." She chewed on her lip. "Who would be sending you money and a prepaid phone?"

Jessica: "I don't know... As far as I know I don't have anyone out there in the world... but someone's trying to look after me. I'd really like to know who it is so I can say thanks..." She pushed her fingers into her hair.

Hope: "Yeah... maybe some kind of Aunt or Grandparent maybe? That's just... kind of awesome, but freakishly scary all at once."

Jessica: "Yeah... like how would they get my bank details? I didn't have an account until I got to New York..." she sighed, "Anyway... look... don't tell anyone about that. I haven't even told Danny... I don't want it to get awkward...."

Hope: "Hey we're the dark and twisty friends. Our secrets stay with us. Since they are all, you know, crazy."

Jessica: She laughed a little, "Which one of us is dark and which is twisty?"

Hope: "I think it's safe to say we're both both of them. But I might be crazier so I'll be twisty." She smiled at that. Talking to Jess always made her feel better.

Jessica: She laughed again, "Sure and I'll be all dark and mysterious. That works." She watched the lights of a plane pass overhead, "So, is there anything else we should talk about?"

Hope: "Oh! Curt and Laura are dating."

Jessica: "Oh I know, I did that." she grinned a little. "Took forever."

Hope: "You are quite the little match maker!" Hope laughed at her. "Now if you can fix mine, I'll call you a miracle worker."

Jessica: "I don't know if it works long distance but I'll try for you... and you can call me any time, really... just not tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be busy..."

Hope: "I'll remember that. And you can call too. Make Johnny give me the phone. But hey. Thank you... for listening. Really. There is a reason you are my person."

Jessica: "Well I ask you: What is the point of having super sensitive ears if you don't use them for listening once in a while?" she smiled, "But you're welcome."

Hope: Hope laughed again. "Yeah but I whine at you all the time. We need to go do something fun when we get back to school. No whining activity."

Jessica: "Like what? Because I have to tell you, I can find a reason to complain about anything. It's a gift."

Hope: "I don't even know. It will still be too hot to do anything fun like ice skating. We could go for a hike or something. Get away from all those people."

Jessica: "That sounds like an excellent idea. There are waaaaay too many people in Tokyo... I forgot how busy it is. Needing some serious quiet time..."

Hope: "We should go hike out to a lake or something. I like the water. But I'm not fucking staying in the woods. Clarice saw a damn bear."

Jessica: "Pfft. I can handle a bear." she said dismissively. "You forget who you're talking to."

Hope: "She teleported it into a tree." Hope laughed again. "Though together we could fry it. Roasted bear."

Jessica: "Never tried that. Sounds like a fun experiment. I accept your challenge." She grinned a little.

Hope: Hope groaned. "You're killing me!"

Jessica: Jess raised an eyebrow, "How? What did I do?"

Hope: She laughed again. "It's an expression. Sorry."

Jessica: "Ooooh... then pardon my fail."

Hope: "We have to watch The Sandlot when you get back. They say it a lot, only about this one kid, Smalls. So You're killing me Smalls! Great, great movie."

Jessica: She filed that piece of information away, "Okay I'll bear that in mind... we can have popcorn on the sofa in the rec room and glare at anyone that tries to ruin movie time."

Hope: Hope was lost to a fit of giggles. "...bear...."

Jessica: Jess blinked then laughed herself, "Oh you are terrible."

Hope: Hope laughed more. "See? We need to go on vacation together next time. I miss you too much."

Jessica: "We can have fun trying to find somewhere I haven't been yet." She offered, "Or I can show you all the best places out of the ones I have been to."

Hope: "Well, considering I'm a broke college student who probably will need to get a job this fall... maybe a road trip would be more within those means."

Jessica: "Hey I have money now, it's fine... and I also have a job. We can totally pull this off without either of us having to drive anywhere."

Hope: Hope grinned, though Jess couldn't see that. "Ok then. We have to think of somewhere cool to go for Christmas break then."

Jessica: "Well somewhere warm would be better," she joked.

Hope: Hope made a face. "What's the point of escaping the snow when we escape it all summer long? I like the cold."

Jessica: "Cold makes me sleepy... like for real. If I stand still too long I fall asleep. You are going to laugh your ass off at me in the winter."

Hope: "I can't wait to laugh my ass off at you this winter! You'll have to come skating with us. I am going to convince Johnny to play hockey with me this winter too."

Jessica: "Oh I'd pay to see that." She laughed, "I've never been skating before though so I'm not sure how well that'd go."

Hope: "Ohhhh it'll be great! I'll have to convert you to a hockey fan."

Jessica: "One step at a time." she reminded her.

Hope: "Right right, sorry. Baby steps."

Jessica: "You can't throw the crazies in at the deepend. We'll drown everyone else trying to stay afloat." She nodded sagely, "So unless you're a sadist..."

Hope: "I'm the twisty crazy one." Hope laughed at her. "Shouldn't I be warning you about that?"

Jessica: "I'm dark and mysterious, I can do whatever the fuck I want."

Hope: Hope laughed happily at her again. "I wish you'd want me up some cheesecake right about now."

Jessica: "I could really go for some cheesecake... I think the bar downstairs is open all night I may have to go and get some... you should guilt Johnny into getting you some."

Hope: "He'd probably tell me to have George go get me some cheesecake." She sighed. "He was so jealous... I didn't even think that was possible. You have to care to be jealous."

Jessica: She frowned, "Hope... he does care...." She sat up and ran a hand through her hair, "If you'd seen him when you were gone you'd know that.... I'm sure he's just worried about what to say to you. You need to talk to him..."

Hope: "Well... he did come save me..."

Jessica: "He did. Because he cares about you."

Hope: "Ok... we'll go on the walk and see what happens. You always know what to say. Sure you aren't a telepath?"

Jessica: "Pretty sure... I sometimes think I should be though." she smiled, "Look I'm sure it's a reasonable time of the day there so go and get yourself some cheesecake and relax. You're on holiday."

Hope: Hope laughed and smiled softly. "Ok. I'll do that. See if I can get Johnny too. You should get some more sleep."

Jessica: "Eh, I wasn't sleeping anyway... I'll just wander down to the bar for an hour and have some cheesecake myself." She got to her feet and crossed to the edge of the roof. "Remember, anytime but tomorrow."

Hope: "Sure thing. Bye Jess. And thanks. Again. Really."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Jess sighed and hugged the flowers to her as she walked through the cemetary. She'd asked Danny to wait for her because she needed to do this alone but now she was wondering if she'd even get that far. The place was huge and the silence was deafening. Oppressive. She walked on, following the map she'd drawn from the number she'd been given, chewing her lip as she made her way between the gravesites.

She didn't know why people brought flowers to graves... just that people did it. Was it to make them look nice, to make themselves feel better? Or maybe to make a point that that person still had someone taking care of their grave? She frowned slightly, checking the map again and finding she'd walked past where it was. She turned back to retrace her steps then moved down one of the rows. There it was.

"Well... I'm here..." she muttered, "Now what?" she looked around, feeling awkward and self conscious like she was being watched despite that there was no one near her. She supposed she should at least arrange the flowers so they looked nice. She moved to do that, pouring in half of her bottle of water to keep them fed for a little while.

She sighed when she was done and ran a hand through her hair. "Okay... I guess I'll just go now..." She started to walk away but paused and looked back at the grave. "I miss you."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Danny: He kicked the cherry blossoms around. They had fallen to the grass at the edge of the cemetary, probably the night before. He watched them rift through the blades of grass, amazed at their beauty even when dying and separated from their life source.

Danny: He didn't understand plants or botany at all even. Another regret he had. So many things he never learned.

Jessica: Jess walked slowly back through the cemetary to the gates. She ran a hand through her hair when she saw Danny and took a sip of water from her bottle before walking the rest of the way to him. "Hey.... thanks for waiting...."

Danny: "No problem. Everything alright?" He asked.

Jessica: She nodded, "Yeah... it was just... weird, you know?" she rubbed her arm distractedly, "Can we go somewhere else?"

Danny: "Sure. You... uh... had a pretty quick talk."

Danny: They walked out of the cemetary and headed down the street. It was only a couple of subway trains to hop and then they would be at Rand Industries, Tokyo.

Jessica: "I didn't really know what to say..." She slipped her hand into his, "It's not like I'd get any answers if I asked questions..."

Danny: "Well, it's difficult to talk to those who are gone. I don't even think I know what I would say to my parents... I still haven't been to their grave since the funeral..." He tried to change the subject and as they hopped onto subways and traveled at great speeds to Tokyo HQ, Danny got more excited.

Danny: His dapper white suit with his newly purchased green and yellow tie glimmered and attracted attention of many passer-bys. His wonderfully waxed bald head, italian shoes, and (thanks to Paige) neatly trimmed goatee had him looking like a modern business tycoon ready to take on the world. He thought to himself; "I couldn't be anything further from such things. I'm a peaceful warrior..."

Jessica: "I didn't go to either of their funerals.... I was too young for mum's and I was in a coma for dad's.... I don't even know where mum's burried and I don't know how to find that out...." She shifted a little uncomfortably, she didn't like to talk about this stuff much. It was highly personal.

Danny: "It's alright. We should talk about something else." He brought up Xavier's initiative to replace certain teachers and, as such, bring in a few new ones, and before they knew it they were leaving the subway station and entering the front door of Rand Industries.

Danny: "This place... is huge." He had no idea. The building was stories tall, glass, but green. Like sea-glass.

Danny: Inside busy people moved around with paper work, personal tablets, and cell phones, talking in a multitude of languages. There were signs directing guests to a large check-in table where a few beautiful Japanese women stood, smiling and waving to Danny.

Jessica: It was huge. And she didn't like it. She clung to his hand and looked around. She wasn't sure she felt like doing this right now. She needed more time to calm down after the cemetary. Why did they have to do it right now?

Danny: The girls greeted him in English first, being he was clearly not Japanese. He bowed to them (they returned it) and he informed them of his appointment with Mr. Coulson. They asked which appointment. He smiled widely. "The one he has with Danny Rand."

Danny: All three of the girls stopped what they were doing and one of them looked like she was about to pee her pants. "Mister Rand!? You are not waiting, come now." She took his hand and another young girl came up behind Jess guided her as well. "We take express elevator, one direction." She informed Jess. "Straight to President's ofice."

Jessica: "Uh... okay..." She hurried along with them and glanced at Danny. This was not okay!

Danny: Danny shrugged. Nothing I can do he said in a look that was combined with a half-smirk. He liked it. They took the super fast glass elevator to the top where the doors opened and there, in a large office (we're talking huge, holy cow. Was this an apartment? Danny thought) was a rather middle-aged man with a bluetooth in his ear.

Danny: "No,... no Han I don't think -... No. Listen, get your guy Patrick on, tell him India is not where he needs to be, he needs to be here with Rand industries. We will pay him what he needs to be here and continue his 'ethical' research, but his real destiny? Is unlocking the mutant genome for Rand Industries."

Danny: "And he knows it." He smiled and laughed. "Yeah, you too. Okay. Thank you... Yes. 9. Yup, alright. Bye." He touched his ear and smiled. "Daniel! It has been.... a very, very, very long time!" He stood up and went for a hug, which Danny didn't expect being he was in mid-hand-shake.

Danny: "And this? Is this the Jessica Drew you spoke of! More beautiful than you mentioned. Hello, darling!" He kissed both her cheeks and invited them to large, sprawlingly comfortable sofa chairs.

Jessica: Jess wasn't that comfortable with the kissing either but powered through it and tried to make sure her awkwardness didn't make it worse. Stupid pheromones. She didn't take the offered seat but went to the window instead to look out. This was Danny's meeting not hers.

Danny: "Yes the view is enchanting, isn't it?" He said cheerfully, poiting to the window. "Rand Industries prides itself on being the center of all the focal points of the world. Tokyo is just my favorite Head Quarters." He winked to Danny who uncomfortably shot a thumbs up.

Danny: "Mr. Rand, I take it you want to start somewhere small? You believe you should be in tech development?" Danny shrugged. "Bio-tech. I'm not big on science, but my interest has always been to heal people."

Danny: "Medicine means bio-tech research, which means I need to be there." He shrugged as if to say And that's that, sir. Mr. Coulson nodded. "Yeahp, I can see that."

Jessica: Jess rested her head against the glass and watched the world as she listened to the conversation going on behind her.

Danny: "Danny, you are going to find yourself pleasantly surprised. I'm going to make you assistant director to there, you'll learn real quick how to do everythi-" Danny laughed. "I have zero qualifications for that, honestly. Mr. Coulson I don't mind starting from the bottom, I'll change the water fountain if I have to."

Danny: "I just want to know the company better." Mr. Coulson brushed what Danny was saying away with his hand. "Bah! You'll do fine. You'll get trained on everything you need to. The Director there is ready to move up soon anyways, he'll train you. Sure it'll piss some people off, but their name isn't on the building, eh? Ha!" He cackled and coughed. Danny looked eerily to Jess for a confirmation that this was a good idea.

Jessica: Jess saw his reflection in the glass and turned her head. She gave a half shrug, "Do whatever you think you need to do..."

Danny: Danny nodded. "I think we can work with that then." Mr. Coulson laughed/coughed again. "That's great, Danny-Boy! Alright! Well, the Presidential Suite is all yours in the Rand Apartments in Tokyo. You and the lovely Jessica are more than free to stick around and get a feel for the company, the city, what have you."

Danny: Danny nodded. "So I would be mostly based here?" He asked. "Here, Glasgow, Copenhagen, and L.A. yes. These are the four cities where Bio-Tech is most readily a program of Rand Industries. We got a bit of something going on in Persia, but that's wrapped up in red tape, don't sweat that."

Danny: Danny didn't like the sound of "don't sweat that." He made a mental note to sweat it later.

Jessica: Jess couldn't help noticing that none of those cities were 'New York'. That may be a problem. She bit her lip and looked back out of the window again.

Danny: Danny nodded. "Not many of those in New York." He noted. "I live in New York currently. I attend school there."

Danny: Coulson made a ponderous face and then stated: "We can arrange something eventually, I'm sure. You said you're in school though, any reason you're choosing to do this? You can't do both y'know."

Danny: Danny nodded. "I'm aware, but I'd like to finish the semester as best as I can. Can I remain in New York City?" Coulson shrugged. "Like I said, we can always arrange something. Your name's on the building, Daniel. It's your call. We can set you up with weekly, even daily teleconfrences, train you in New York, put you in Copenhagen by ... say Christmas?"

Jessica: Jess rested her head against the glass again and closed her eyes. Craaaaaap. She folded her arms loosely and kept her back to them.

Danny: "Can I get a full tour of Japan's facilities before I leave?" He asked straightforwardly. "Absolutely," Coulson grinned. "Whenever you need it."

Jessica: Jess glanced back at them again, wondering if she had to go on that tour too. If Danny wanted her to, of course she would but... She sighed a little and turned back to the window. He was going to leave.

Danny: "I am going to be required to stay in Japan for extended periods of time?" He asked. "Mostly Copenhagen and L.A." Coulson responded chirpishly.

Danny: "L.A. isn't a bad flight from New York. You can red-eye it, do it one night. Copenhagen for the most part is a day trip from our NYC heaquarters. Long treck to Japan, but you know that." Danny wasn't sure he'd agree with that. He had slept through most of it.

Danny: Danny knew this was trouble for he and Jess. He'd have to talk about this later. "Alright, well... We're gonna go to the flat. I'll speak with you more about it later then?" Danny asked.

Danny: "Whenever, wherever, Mr. Rand. You're the guy."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Danny: The apartment was... wow. A bed on a platform, the tub separate from the hot-tub, which had a sliding screen door that lead to a waterfall over the pool. The floor, marble, the ceiling, like something out of a church in Italy, the furniture resembling artisan pieces (including one of those hanging egg chairs).

Danny: It was... not Danny's style. But he still found himself attracted to it. The mood lighting, dolby digital surround sound stereo systems, blu-ray players, so on and so forth... it was undoubtedly the clearest sign he'd seen so far of what kind of money this corporation had.

Danny: "Wow." He said, quietly, dropping his bag. "... Wow."

Jessica: Jess looked around, putting her own bag down carefully. She wrinkled her nose a little. She was going to be afraid to touch anything incase she broke it. "This place looks... really expensive...."

Danny: "Not my taste but... I can learn to adapt." He said with a smirk, grabbing Jess and kissing her deeply. "Let's go celebrate my inheritence!" He said excitedly and leapt to the bed. "Oh my! So fluffy!"

Jessica: Jess frowned a little and didn't follow him. "So.... you're just going to walk right into it all?"

Danny: "Well... no. I'm going to go, finish the semester, get an Associates, and then walk into it, slowly. I'm not sure I trust Coulson, but for now he has his fingers in the pie and despite 'my name being on the door'." Danny tried to say it in Coulson's voice.

Danny: "I know his name is on the ledger, and I can't take this company back so long as he makes calls. So I'm going to move up, fast. This is my parents company, making it my company. I found out a few days ago that they involve themselves in weapons tech? I'm not having any of that. We are not developing ways of killing people at Rand Industries."

Jessica: Jess sighed and went to sit on the sofa, putting her face in her hands while she thought about that. Did that mean they were as good as over? She lifted her head to look at him, "Where does that leave me?"

Danny: "... What do you mean?" He asked, confused. His smile was fading. "You're with me. We'll be long distance for a bit, but when you finish you can join me. I'll be around every holiday, I'll even make sure I'm around more often than that. It's my family's company, Jess. I can't just let it get away from me."

Jessica: "Danny I have four years left at that place.... I don't think I can do that for four years.... It was horrible just for four weeks while you were in rehab..."

Danny: "I know," he said, getting off the bed and going to her on bended knee. "I know but... this is what I have to do... I can't just .... Jess I love them. I lost them. This is the closest to them I'll ever be."

Jessica: "I know... I get that... and I know I'm being really selfish..." she looked down at her lap and bit her lip. "I just... I can't be trusted like that... I don't trust myself..."

Danny: "You don't trust yourself?" He laughed. "You are being selfish? What you are is being the most reasonable you have ever been. I pushed for this, and now I have to do this... thing... for my family. For my conscience. It's not fair to you, I know that. But I trust you. I have no reason not to. I was gone for four weeks? And you jumped me like a fox jumps the first mouse of spring."

Danny: "Jess... you know how I feel. I'm not going anywhere. I know you won't either."

Jessica: "No you don't.... you don't know... I don't even know... I've never been in a relationship before..." She ran a hand through her hair, lifting her head but looking away across the room instead now. "Danny... it was so hard.... and I was so worried about you... and I just... I can't honestly say that I won't slip up..."

Danny: He was surprised, but didn't show it. "Slip up, how?"

Jessica: She curled up a little in her seat, bowing her head again. "I'm afraid I'll cheat on you... get caught up in the moment or something...."

Danny: He shook his head. "Why the heck would you do that?" He asked. "Am I.... not enough?"

Danny: "I thought... I dunno..." He got up, letting his hand slip off of her knee.

Jessica: She bit her lip, "Danny... that's not what I'm saying... of course you are.... but you're not going to be there, are you? You're going to be half way around the world ninety percent of the time.... and I'm going to be alone with a building full of hormonal teenagers and my pheromones...."

Danny: He smiled, trying to make it lighter and funnier. "I can make a mold of my cock?" He asked, half laughing... half serious.

Danny: "Get a dildo out of it?"

Jessica: She actually looked at him now, hardly believing that sentence even came out of his mouth. "You better not be serious."

Danny: "Well... I dunno, what do you want me to say? You're saying you'll miss me so you're gonna what? Hop on some other guy? How is that not proper set up for...?" He couldn't even finish. This was prepostrous. "You would just... hop in bed?"

Jessica: "Don't say it like that!" she put her face in her hands again, "You know what I was doing before I went to New York! You know! So don't stand there and pretend you haven't considered that I might have just gotten used to it! I don't think like other people anymore, it's not a thing that you do with your partner because you like them... it's just something that happens." She got up from her seat to pace.

Jessica: It was impossible to word this in a way he'd understand. "I don't want to cheat on you. It's not like I'm planning to..."

Danny: "I don't believe for a second that you do that" he said honestly. "You're not like that. You did what you did, to survive. I've put that aside, I haven't made it a problem, brought it up or anything!" He looked at her.

Danny: "So what makes you think now that I would feel it's a problem? What makes you think I'm doubting you? How can you sit there and say you don't want to cheat on me, but it's something you may have gotten used to. 'Cause to me? That says 'you're not enough'."

Danny: "It says, Sorry Dan. You fucked me great, but you're not here, I need SOMETHING."

Jessica: "I didn't want to be in a relationship, Danny. I had no intention of getting into one. We just... happened..." she put her face in her hands again. "I'm not ready for anything like this... everything is moving so fast and you keep saying you love me and now I have to have this whole long distance thing and I-" she pulled on her hair, "I'm not ready for this!"

Jessica: "I have no one, Danny! I just have you and Johnny and Hope and no family to rely on and now you're leaving! Don't you see how scary that is?! I lose people! I hate it!"

Danny: "I'm not ready either, but that's life, Jess! You get thrown curveballs, and I'm sorry but you seem to be convinced that if I leave to do this thing that I need to do, I'm going to leave you, and I'm not!"

Danny: "How do I prove that? What do I have to do?"

Jessica: "This isn't about you, Danny!" She wanted to hit something. Maybe punch him in his stupid face again. "I can't handle this! This is about me!" She turned her back on him as she fought not to cry. "I don't trust myself."

Danny: "You keep saying that, but what does that mean!? Why? What is it that you can't trust yourself after I go? I know you're gorgeous, I know you have those... those things. That smell thing."

Danny: "You think I'm oblivious but I see the guys, I see the reactions, but Jess -- it's harsh thing to say that you think you're going to cheat on me. I don't get what I'm supposed to do to get you to not."

Jessica: "You won't be able to do anything because you won't be there. That's my point, Danny..." she took a deep breath and balled her hands into fists, squeezing her eyes shut.

Danny: "You know the first time we had sex it was the most amazing thing I'd ever experienced. The most real, the most sensual conection I've ever had."

Danny: "It was... unprecedented. And I know you felt something new... something different. I don't believe you that you'd throw that away just because me and my thing are in Copenhagen for two months."

Jessica: "And what about the other three years and ten months, Danny? I'm telling you I don't think I can do it. I want to be able to say 'yes I'll try' but I don't want to fail... I'd never forgive myself..." And now she was crying. "It's too soon into the relationship for things like this... it's all too new and everything's been so up in the air lately... and today... I couldn't even have one day..."

Danny: Danny frowned. "I'm.... I'm sorry. I'll finish this up, we'll go back. I'm not going to do this if it's going to hurt you like this." He was crying too now, suddenly. He didn't notice it at first, but the tears got cool in the perfectly air conditioned flat. "I just... I don't want you to feel lied to."

Danny: "I fought so hard to have you, and I'm not showing you how much I appreciate you by doing this. You're right. I'm... I'm done. I'll let Coulson take the compay, let him take it public, and I'll finish another two years at XU."

Jessica: "I can't let you give everything away... I can't... I didn't want to have this talk with you..." She put her face in her hands. "I don't want to be that person, Danny... you have to do this..."

Danny: He looked out of the building. The city was beautiful, more beautiful than he wanted to admit. He lightly banged his forehead on the window. "... Jess... I don't. I just... have misplaced guilt over my parents' deaths."

Jessica: "You said less than five minutes ago that you wanted to do this to feel close to them. Don't lie to me..." She walked back to the sofa and sat down again, resting her elbows on her knees and her head in her hands. "I'll just.... I'll go home and think... you stay here and have your tour and everything... I know you want to...."

Danny: "No... I can't let you leave." He said. He went to her and once again sat at her feet. "I can't... I'm not sure I'm fine with this. This isn't what I wanted when I came here. I want..." What did he have to do? What did he have to do?

Danny: He kissed her lightly on the cheek. "I'm not going to let you go. Not that easily. If you need me to drop this... I will."

Jessica: "I can't ask you to do that... it's not fair... God... if I had anything like this from my parents I'd do it in a heartbeat... you have to keep this company, Danny..." She relaxed her posture a little and slipped her arms around him for a hug.

Danny: "I want to be with you.." he said, wrapping his arms around her waist. "I... I want to always be the one you go to... if having this company means losing that?" He picked her up slowly, getting up himself.

Jessica: "Oh don't.... I can't let you... I won't be that selfish." She hid her face against his neck.

Danny: "Let me be selfish for one moment." He laid her softly onto the bed. "Let me have you... let me be with you." Just... just in case... he thought to himself.

Danny: One last time... just in case...

Jessica: She smiled a little and stroked her fingers through his hair before pulling him down for a kiss. "You don't have to ask for that."

Danny: He returned the kiss, his hand carefully taking off her pants and then his own. He smiled and kissed her chin, her neck, down her chest, lifting her shirt, and then her tummy. He drifted down, and finally, for the first time since he had returned from Montana, he showed her how much he needed her.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Jessica: Jess sighed heavily as she dragged her bag out of the back seat of the cab then went to pay the driver before starting the walk up the drive. Danny would be back in two days, she kept reminding herself. She could manage two days.

Wither: Kevin pounded down the stairs. He'd seen her drive up in the ops room. "Hey Jess! How was Japan?" He reached for her bag. "Let me get that."

Jessica: She felt bad reminding him that she was quite capable of lifting a car so a bag would be no trouble and let him take it for her. "Thanks... it was... well... nice for a day... half a day..." she wrinkled her nose.

Wither: "You didn't spend a long time, huh? Was there trouble? Was it relaxing anyway?" The bag was only a bit heaver than he'd thought it was. He patted his side to make sure the patch was still on and hefted it onto his shoulder.

Jessica: "It was.... awkward... and slightly unbearable..." she ran a hand through her hair, "Everything kind of went to hell and, as you can see, I am minus a Danny."

Wither: "I'm sorry." He paused. "D'you want to talk about it?"

Jessica: "I probably should..." she sighed, "Let's go straight to the kitchen. I can have some tea then... might help me feel better."

Wither: Kevin managed to open the door and gently put the bag down by the door. "Tea is good for what ails you."

Jessica: "Tea is good for everything." She managed a small smile and headed for the kitchen to fill the kettle. "Danny's coming back in a couple of days..."

Wither: "I see, and is that a good thing?"

Jessica: "If he actually does it, yeah..." she had that sinking feeling. "We kind of had a bit of a fight..."

Wither: "Ah." He got mugs down from the cabinet. "That bad, huh? What happened?"

Jessica: "I... don't even know where to start...." she leaned against the counter as she waited for the water. "We got to his village place and that was nice until he pissed his guardian off so then that was awkward... and it was all kind of downhill from there...."

Wither: "Oh dear. But it sounds like it was his fault first, so... you shouldn't feel too bad, right? But awkward situations are the worst." He rummaged through the fridge, finding a chocolate torte thing. Girls liked chocolate, right? Especially under stress ones. "Would you like a slice of chocolate pie?"

Jessica: She gave a small smile and nodded, "I would, very much." She turned to make the tea, "So anyway... then we went to Tokyo... and I had some stuff to do... that really I would have liked a whole day to recover from but then we went straight from that to a meeting at his family's business.... and that was what the fight was about."

Wither: "Oh. What kind of business?" He took the torte out and sliced a couple pieces out, going through the fridge to find some whipped cream. "There you go." He set the plate of pie in front of her. "Forks." He handed her one.

Jessica: "Thanks... and I don't know exactly... seems like an everything kind of business... offices everywhere...." she wrinkled her nose and set the cups down on the table. "But he wants to do work for the company... and none of the offices he can choose for what he wants to do are in New York."

Wither: "Ah. There isn't a way to remotely do it?" He started in on his pie - it was really good. He hoped it wasn't a teacher's.

Jessica: "I don't know... he says he'll come back for holidays and things... or move the whatever it is to a closer building but I don't know... that'll take time and it's too soon into my first ever relationship to have to deal with this crap..." she stabbed at the pie a little, "I had to leave... couldn't stay there..."

Wither: "Ah." He hadn't had any experience in the relationship department. "Sounds a bit early to me too."

Jessica: "It's just... he was away for four weeks before summer... and that was awful..." She dropped her fork onto her plate and put her face in her hands. "I can't handle that for four years..."

Wither: "Him not being there?" Kevin shifted uncomfortably. Maybe there was a girl he could find to translate. He had no clue what she was on about four years what? "Wouldn't it be like before you had a boyfriend?"

Jessica: "Before I had a boyfriend I was-... never mind. It won't be the same... It wouldn't matter before if I say, got caught up in the moment and kissed someone or had sex... now if I do that I'm cheating on Danny...."

Wither: Kevin choked on his bite of pie. "Um. I meant not having anybody... but um... er... the kettle's whistling!"

Jessica: "Oh right...." she went to get that, "Sorry.... I know I'm weird... I think about stupid things... but... ugh. I can't even explain why it's such a huge deal..." she poured the water into the cups then turned off the heat and put the kettle back down.

Wither: "You're not weird." He was about 84 point 6 percent sure he didn't even want the explanation, anyway. "Is he your first major relationship? This might be a warning sign that he's not for you."

Jessica: "He's my first ever relationship. I have zero experience with real people before coming here..." she sighed, slumping back into her seat and picking up her fork to prod the pie. She didn't feel like eating at all now. "He says he loves me.... as soon as he said it I expected something bad to happen...."

Wither: "...real people?" his mind stuck to that and drowned out the rest.

Jessica: "It was just me and my dad until I was seventeen... then there was the accident and all the hitchhiking and then I was in Amsterdam until I was asked to come here. No one you meet in Amsterdam doing what I was doing can be considered real or a good example."

Wither: "Ah." Kevin squirmed uncomfortably. "It's a bit early to say the love word," he offered tentatively. "But maybe he means it, but doesn't quite know how to properly relate to you?" He thanked an old issue of some magazine with an agony aunt for that one.

Jessica: "I tried to explain to him why I hate that word... and any idiot could tell that I wouldn't be okay to go straight into a business meeting after visiting my father's grave...." She ran her hands through her hair, "I know I'm not normal, I know that... I know I completely fail at understanding perfectly simple social conventions but I'm doing my best..."

Wither: "That doesn't sound normal... visiting a grave straight to business, I mean. I'm with you - it's not good. If he forced you into doing that, then it's definitely his fault." He took another bite, to stop himself from talking, he'd probably over-stepped all the boundaries.

Jessica: "I told him after I'd have liked the whole day... he said he was sorry but it was too late by then..." she frowned. "I don't know... maybe I'm just being pessimistic... but this always happens..."

Wither: He awkwardly patted her arm gently. "I'm sorry."

Jessica: She shook her head and offered him a small smile, "It's not your fault..."

Wither: "You feel any better now?"

Jessica: "I don't know..." She rested her arm on the table and lay her head on it. "I keep asking myself why I came here... I don't even know anymore... and there's barely anything keeping me here. Less if Danny goes off doing whatever...."

Wither: "Your friends aren't enough?"

Jessica: "I hardly have any... I don't think I'm very good at it."

Wither: "I'm not a friend?"

Jessica: "Honestly? I don't know. How many conversations do you have to have with someone before they're a friend and not just an acquaintance? There should be classes on that never mind remedial math and all the rest...."

Wither: Kevin suddenly felt very awkwardly offended. "I thought we were friends," he snapped out more sharply than he'd meant to.

Jessica: "Oh..." she frowned, "Sorry... I've already done this to someone else too... Sorry.... I'll just... I'll stop talking..." she turned her head to hide her face against her arm.

Wither: He had nothing to say to that, really. "Maybe a talk to the school counselor would help you to recognize budding friendships, Jessica." He cleared his plate and mug. "I need to get back to ops. Good luck with Danny." He sort of bowed and made an exit.

Jessica: Jess squeezed her eyes shut and took a deep breath. Great. Just great. She was ruining everything lately. She abandoned her tea and slice of pie and headed outside instead. She just needed to never talk to people again.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Jessica: Jess perched in her usual spot on the roof with her hands wrapped around a mug of tea. She glared at her phone on the wall in front of her, the only thing keeping her from hurling it over towards the lake was the thought that Hope might need to call her. As summers went, this wasn't the worst she'd ever had but it was still pretty crappy now.

Michael: Michael was having a bug problem in the greenhouse and instead of doing it the nice way he'd decided to feed the spiders of the school. All the spiders in the school found their ways into the airducts and up to the roof, Michael assumed this would be an easier way to get them outside without people smushing them.

Jessica: Jess blinked a little as she was suddenly surrounded by spiders. She got carefully to her feet and looked around at them all. "Where the hell did you all come from?" She rescued her phone before it became burried.

Michael: The spider swarm avoided her and made its way to the side of the building and down it towards the greenhouse.

Jessica: This was... weird behaviour for spiders to say the least. She frowned a little and crawled down the wall after them, following them over the side of the building and to the greenhouse.

Michael: "Well. I think I'm overachieving. I only needed a few of you guys." He crouched down and looked them all over, picking a few up. "Now which one of you is best at catching bugs?"

Jessica: "Pick the fattest one." She suggested from the doorway.

Michael: Michael almost jumped out of his skin. "You really shouldn't sneak up on people when they're covered in spiders!"

Jessica: She smirked a little, "Well I was following the spiders so I suppose I should say it's your fault I sneaked in here at all." She knew who he was from her first X-men mission. "You're Michael, right?"

Michael: "Yup. You're uhmm...., sorry I'm horrible with names, the whole skipping classes and having my brain raped thing." Michael picked up a few more spiders and sent the rest back to their original homes.

Jessica: She didn't move as the spiders rushed back to their homes for fear of stepping on one, "Jess," she supplied, "It's okay... we didn't really meet properly.... I was on the team that brought you back in..."

Michael: "Yeah... I kind of remember everything. Sorry about the killer plants."

Jessica: She shook her head, "It's fine... not your fault, right?"

Michael: "Nope. So followed my new friends down? Usually people run screaming from these guys. And Hope would prolly have accused me of trying to kill everyone with them." He sighed.

Jessica: "I have nothing to fear from spiders.... and what kind of spider-woman would I be if I ran away from them." She leaned against one of the tables.

Michael: "One with spidery powers?" Michael went about putting the spiders in hiding spots they'd like. "Now get to work guys I don't like holey fruit."

Jessica: She nodded, "Yeah... and an immunity to poisons so even if I got bit it wouldn't be a problem... which is rare, by the way. I used to catch spiders to study..."

Michael: "Ahh well as long as I have control over them I can keep them from biting me. After a while they just won't. Takes longer to teach insects than mammals."

Jessica: "That's kind of cheating." She gave a small shrug and ran a hand through her hair.

Michael: "Nope just using my powers. Plants are the easiest they just do whatever I tell them to." He smiled and made all the flowers around her bloom.

Jessica: She blinked at that, "That is... weird..." creepy. She straightened up again, "Though I guess it explains all that stuff from before.... sorry... probably shouldn't bring that up...."

Michael: "It's okay. And you call plant control weird?" He laughed a little. "Out of all the stuff everyone around here can do that's what weirds you out?"

Jessica: "A lot of things weird me out but normally I keep it to myself."

Michael: "Not much weirds me out after being here for so long."

Jessica: "I don't know if I like the idea of getting desensitised to weird stuff...."

Michael: "Well you wouldn't be desensitised to all weird stuff. Just the weird stuff that happens here. And then again what's weird? This stuff's pretty normal to me. The stuff sinister was doing was weird."

Jessica: "I'm already desensitised to a lot of non-mutant weird stuff."

Michael: "Some weird stuff though will never not be weird."

Jessica: "Like what?" she eyed the plants then sat down again.

Michael: "Mutant cows that spew acid?"

Jessica: She wrinkled her nose, "Ew."

Michael: "Yeah.... I still can't shake that I created those."

Jessica: "Well you could start by never mentioning it again. I hear that helps."

Michael: "That would probably help. Being alone with myself probably isn't helping either."

Jessica: "You should move inside." She suggested, eyeing the hammock.

Michael: "I guess I don't have a reason not to now." He considered it.

Jessica: "What the hell kind of reason would you have to live out here?"

Michael: "More comfortable. I have botanopathy and zoopathy. I can control plants and animals with my mind. And see them with my mind. I used to be blind. So the only place I could see just about everything was here."

Jessica: "Oooh you're one of those 'relies on powers' people. Fair enough..."

Michael: "I was. Only good thing that happened to me while I was kidnapped." He pointed to his eyes.

Jessica: "And yet here you are, still living in your green house and summoning spiders to deal with insects eating your plants. Sounds like reliance to me."

Michael: "Well I have lived in here for a while. And plants are far nicer than people." He shrugged. "Never considered going back inside either."

Jessica: "I guess it's up to you. But you'll make less friends if you isolate yourself like this."

Michael: "Making friends has never really been a priority for me. Not with people at least."

Jessica: "Well you should make it a priority. Won't do you any good to sit out here and brood..."

Michael: Michael raised an eyebrow at her. "I'm not brooding."

Jessica: "If you say so...." she straightened up. "You're the one who said being alone with yourself isn't helping."

Michael: "That doesn't mean I'm in here feeling sorry for myself. Just doesn't help me to forget about it. Look I've already gotten over what happened. I wasn't in control, It wasn't my fault."

Jessica: She held up her hands, "I'm not saying anything... I'll just go back to my tea on the roof...."

Michael: "Sorry. Hope's just been bothering me about this stuff lately so I get a little touchy. If you'd like I can grow tea for you."

Jessica: She shook her head, "It's fine, that's way too much effort." she ran a hand through her hair and headed for the door, "And I don't want to hear complaining about Hope. She's a friend."

Michael: "It's not too much effort for me. And sorry I don't mean to complain."

Jessica: "Growing it's easy enough. Making it drinkable after that? Too much time." she waved over her shoulder, "See you around..."

Michael: Michael shrugged. "Maybe."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Hope: Hope sighed as she looked around her, frustrated. Where the hell was she?! She had taken the train from the little station to Birmingham, just like George had told her. From there she had gotten on the train to the airport... or so she thought.

Hope: She looked around her, bewildered. She started walking. Maybe she could figure out where she was.

Hope: A stabbing pain in her heart told her that she should call Johnny for help, but she shoved that thought away immediately. She kept walking, taking in the busy city around her. She was unaware of how long she kept walking, but she eventually just stopped.

Hope: There was a technopath near by! She ducked into the nearest call booth and told the phone to call Jess's phone.

Jessica: Jess grabbed her phone from the wall and took in the caller id. It was a UK number. She answered, "Hope?"

Hope: "Hey you got it right this time!" She sighed a bit, all her energy gone. She bit her lower lip to keep from crying.

Jessica: "Hope... why is your area code for London?" She knew that code. "Are you okay?"

Hope: "So that's where I am... no... not really... I'm lost. Though the big ass clock should have tipped me off." She sighed, leaning back against the glass. "Johnny and I broke up. And he handed me my ticket and kicked me out. I don't know how to get back."

Jessica: "Oh Hope... I'm sorry...." she chewed her lip, "Where are you now? Exactly. Can you see a street name?"

Hope: "Uhhh Bridge Street."

Jessica: "Oh you're right by the clock... okay.... Are you on the same side of the river?" It was a good thing she still remembered her lessons.

Hope: "I haven't crossed the river... is that good or bad?"

Jessica: "It's fine... when you're on the same side of the river as the building with the big ass clock, keep that building on your left. There's a station there but I don't think it's a great idea to tell you to get on another train...." she sighed, "So just... cross the road and there's a pub on the corner opposite. Wait in there. I will come and get you."

Hope: Hope chewed on her lip again. "Ok... are you sure?"

Jessica: "Yes. If I take too long and it gets to kicking out time, just cross the road again and wait in the square. There's a big old statue of Winston Churchill. You can't miss it. I promise I will be as quick as I can." She was already up and gathering things.

Hope: "Ok. I can handle that... and Jess? On the way home? I want a gallon of ice cream and about ten boxes of brownie mix. Ok?"

Jessica: "I was going to suggest the same thing." she smiled a little, "Just stay safe. I'll be there before you know it."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Hope: Hope lay on the floor on a blanket in what was now going to be Her and Jess's room for the summer. They had finished off a pint of ice cream already, and they had gotten through half the bowl of brownie batter before Hope had to stop. "I guess it's all my fault really."

Jessica: She frowned, "Why would it be your fault?" She also lay on the blanket but her legs were in the other direction. She turned her head to glance at Hope.

Hope: "I got attached. I know better. I've never had somebody in my life for more than a year at a time. I don't know why I thought this would be any different." She glanced over at Jess.

Jessica: She wrinkled her nose a little and went back to staring at the ceiling. "That's silly."

Hope: "Is it? I had thirteen foster homes from the time I was born until the time I was kicked out of the system." She looked back up at the ceiling. "It's like I'm cursed. Nobody can stick around. Watch out, you'll be next."

Jessica: "Pfft. I stick to things. It's one of my powers. I'd like to see you try." she sighed a little.

Hope: "Maybe I should just go back to Alaska..." she glanced over at Jess.

Jessica: "Don't you dare. It's all cold and... cold there." she looked at Hope, "I'm not visiting you if you go to Alaska."

Hope: "I like the cold, remember? And I don't want to be around when he gets a new girlfriend or a sex buddy. She'll be all pretty and smart and perky and they'll be all disgusting and adorable. And I'll hate her. And I'll hate him. And I don't want to hate him. Hating him is exhausting." She looked back up at the ceiling.

Jessica: "Then ignore him. It'll use up far less energy." she gave a shrug and returned to staring at the ceiling too. "Or we can take it in turns... but if we do that I have to get new friends."

Hope: "I can try to ignore him... but he'll still be there. And Sue... uggggh Sue. He thought her prank was funny. Johnny, the guy who won't even get in a kiddie pool, thought it was funny." She sighed again.

Jessica: Jess bent an arm to give Hope an awkward pat on the shoulder. "I'll zap her for you next time I see her. Let her wake up somewhere unpleasant."

Hope: "Put her in the boys locker room. That has to be terrible for a lesbian. Oh... I didn't tell you that part." Hope grinned, sitting up on her elbow to look at Jess. "I outed her to her parents before I left. I'm a terrible person." She covered her face with her hands and lay back down. "But it was so worth it!"

Jessica: Jess sat up then to look at her, "Oh you are! You didn't even stay to see what happened!"

Hope: "Johnny kind of slammed the door after me, so no. Never seen him so angry. And I still can't believe he threw War at me. That's so not fair."

Jessica: "Ass..." she scowled and lay back down again. "I'll yell at him when he comes back too.... I have a lot of shouting in my future.... not sure how I feel about that..."

Hope: "Mind zapping him too?" She glanced over at her friend.

Jessica: Jess thought about that then gave a shrug, "Yeah alright... do you want him unconscious too or shall I just do it enough that he screams like a girl?"

Hope: "Why choose when you can do both? We can leave him somewhere very unmanly... but where.... Oh I got it. On a raft in the pool." She glared at the ceiling.

Jessica: "If we're going to put him in water we can do a lot better than the pool - there's a lake on the grounds."

Hope: "And then camp out and watch him wake up and flail. And ask him how funny is is now?"

Jessica: "Yes. That. We will do that and laugh... we should get a camera and record it."

Hope: "We could just hire Darren to camp out and film and taunt."

Jessica: "I think he'd be totally up for that. He seems the type for a good bit of revenge."

Hope: Hope laughed finally. "At least he'd see it is not funny."

Jessica: She laughed too, "But I think we just found out why it is a little bit funny."

Hope: "...ok so you're right about that one. However, I only find it funny because he'll scream like a little girl."

Jessica: "He will and it will be spectacular.... and he's not in a strange place with a load of creepers with cameras looking at him..."

Hope: "Course not. He won't be alone. So if anything does happen, he can be saved. They didn't do me the same service."

Jessica: "And that is why they must be punished." Jess nodded sagely.

Hope: "I don't know what I'd do without you, Jess. I guess I can't go back to Alaska."

Jessica: Another thing floated into Jess's mind at that, "... Aren't there bears in Alaska?"

Hope: "....yes there are. Lots of them in the wilderness." She eyed Jess.

Jessica: "And yet you still want to go there...." She looked over at her again.

Hope: "Well... they don't come into the cities... much."

Jessica: She giggled, "Okay okay, I believe you." she turned her head back up to the ceiling again. "So... are we going to lie on the floor all day?" She didn't want to lie there long enough for them to get onto the subject of Danny.

Hope: "I may lie here the rest of the year...."

Jessica: "You can't do that - you'd miss out on revenge time... and any hot new students."

Hope: Hope made a face. She didn't care about hot new students. "I think I'll live."

Jessica: "Oh don't get all sad again..." she frowned over at her.

Hope: "I never got unsad." Hope grinned at her. She sat up, going for the brownie batter again.

Jessica: Jess sighed a little and rolled onto her side. "We should do something fun."

Hope: "I consider stuffing my face and hiding from the world fun. What do you consider fun?" Hope took another bite.

Jessica: "Hitting things in the gym until I feel better."

Hope: "What if I just watch you? This brownie batter won't eat itself."

Jessica: She sighed a little but sat up, "I suppose it'll do for now. When you see how fun it is you'll want to join in anyway."

Hope: Hope seriously doubted that. "We'll see about that." She got to her feet, keeping her bowl captive.

Jessica: Jess gave a small grin and picked up her bag to take down to the gym, "I'll let you use my powers."

Hope: "You temptress...."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Danny: Her cell rang. It was Danny. He waited on the balcony of a chiqe apartment in Tokyo, the glass doors shut, keeping the sound of the party away from his phone.

Jessica: Jess rolled over and picked up her phone, answering it before she looked to see who it was. "Hello?"

Danny: "Jess? It's Danny."

Jessica: "Oh hey.... shouldn't you be on a plane right now?" she looked to see where her clock was.

Danny: "Well, we decided Copenhagen was not on the menu for places to visit first. We're headed to Damascus, then it looks like L.A.!" He sounded happy.

Jessica: "Oh..." she frowned a little, "So... how long...?" she sat up and ran a hand through her hair.

Danny: "Well, the good news is I can stop in New York for two weeks between Damascus and L.A., sooo..." The door opened and sounds of party blasted. He looked to the young blonde girl who nodded and shut it quickly. She came up and whispered something into his ear. He frowned to her.

Danny: Her words were inaudible on the phone, but the sound of a woman with an accent was obvious.

Jessica: Her frown deepened, "What's all that background noise? And who's interrupting our call?" She was hating this. A lot.

Danny: He smiled into the phone. "Sorry, that's Clare. She's Irish." He nodded to her and directed her away with his head. "She's my new assistant. She just informed me New York is longer than we thought, L.A.'s labs are shut down for two weeks. Some kind of spill. It'll take another 3 weeks to clean up."

Danny: "I'm honest... I may be upset I don't get to L.A., but... I'm pretty happy I get to come see you for even longer."

Jessica: She smiled a little, "That sounds good... so when will I get to see you again? Before school starts right? You're coming back for school too?" She chewed her lip.

Danny: "Hopefully. Damascus is a mess, they haven't set up their labs. I'm already trained on operations, I can help them with that. Two days, I'm pretty smart huh?" He looked to Clare who tapped her wrist. He flicked her the finger. She covered her mouth and laughed.

Danny: "Okay, so... big news. You got two packages coming in the mail. One for you, one for Laura."

Jessica: "I do? Why?" She opened up her window for some fresh air, "And you still haven't told me when I get to see you.... How long are you going to be staying in Damascus?"

Danny: "Not more than 6 days. But that's 3 days from now. Maybe 2. I am shooting for 2." He smiled at the idea of the packages. "Well, they're tech from Rand Industries. One is a pad, the other is... well it's a surprise."

Jessica: "So... in less than two weeks?" she frowned as she tried to work out if that was right. "I don't want gifts, Danny. I want you..."

Danny: "I know... but these aren't really gifts. They're just sort of perks. I promise, just you two get them."

Jessica: "And the other one's for Laura... right.... I thought you didn't like Laura?"

Danny: "I like her perfectly fine." He said, almost insulted. "I also think it's not right for you to be in the same quarters as her and get gifts. I told her I'm putting aside my problems with her, I mean it. If I find I can send more perks, I'm sure one will find its way to Sue."

Jessica: Jess wrinkled her nose, "She doesn't deserve perks right now." She moved to sit on the window ledge.

Danny: "Why?" He asked. "What'd she do?" He saw Clare pointing to her wrist again. Danny pointed to the phone and pointed to the sky. She looked up. Danny pulled the shades from the outside shut. You're sweet, but Jess is more important. he thought.

Jessica: "Left Hope on an air matress in a river..." She ran a hand through her hair.

Danny: Danny tried not to laugh. "Really?" Go Sue.

Jessica: "Yes really. Three miles downriver from where she started. It's not funny. I had to go and get her from London...." she glanced over her shoulder to where Hope was sleeping.

Danny: "That's awful." He agreed. It shouldn't have been that bad. "What'd Johnny say?"

Jessica: "They got into a fight over it - he thought it was hilarious... and they broke up. Hence my having to go and get her. He gave her her ticket and told her to go back to school and she got completely lost. Got on the wrong train... it was this big thing... so yeah, this is how my life has been since getting back here."

Danny: Danny covered his mouth. "Oh, no..." Okay, that wasn't right. "I'm so sorry Jess. Look, tell Hope to expect something in the mail in the next day." He whipped out his tablet and started placing an order.

Danny: "Tell her I'm sorry, and when I get there, I'm buying everybody dinner. You, me, her, whoever else you want there. We'll have a good time, I promise."

Jessica: She smiled a little, "Thanks, Danny... that's really nice of you...."

Danny: "It's the least I can do. Tell her a two-day spa trip to the city is headed her way. Bring a friend." he smiled again into the receiver. "I can't imagine who she'd bring, but I'm sure you have some guesses."

Jessica: She laughed a little, "Thanks... I'm sure she'll appreciate that."

Danny: Danny frowned as Clare opened the door with her key. "Danny. Come on." He groaned. "Clare needs me inside, it seems the shakers and movers of this corporation can't shake or move without me now. Jess, I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

Jessica: "Okay... I'll let you know how Hope likes her gift." She sighed a little, "Be careful... and don't have too much fun without me...."

Danny: "I'll try not to-OKAY, Clare." He took the phone and held it over her head, where she couldn't reach it. She tried jumping. It didn't work, not in a dress like hers. "I'll call you later, Jess! Love you!" He shouted and hung up. As he did so, Clare jumped, knocking the phone out of his hand. It fell down all eighty stories of the building.

Danny: He stood in shock then looked to her. She apologized repeatedly. He laughed. "It's fine, I'll get another."

Danny: They went inside.

Jessica: Jess looked at her phone as the screen went black and debated going for a long walk. Well... maybe just to the kitchen.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Jessica: Jess closed her eyes as she lay on the massage table and tried to remember to relax. That was kind of the point of all this. She wasn't sure she could get used to the idea of someone with their hands all over her like this though. It was weird. She sighed a bit and looked over at Hope.

Hope: Hope was having no issues with being mostly naked and having somebody massaging her with oil. She had a very peaceful, happy look on her face. She cracked an eye open to see Jess, then grinned. Ok, Danny wasn't so bad at all. "This is awesome."

Jessica: Jess smiled back at her, "I'm glad you're enjoying it."

Hope: "Are you?" She was excited for the mani/pedis that were to follow their massage too.

Jessica: "I don't know yet... it's a bit weird..." she eyed the people over her shoulder, "I'll get used to it."

Hope: "Just breathe. It's supposed to get rid of all that tension."

Jessica: "I suck at relaxing, you know that right?" She smirked a little.

Hope: "Which is why you need this more than I do." Hope laughed at her.

Jessica: "I'm fine..." she rolled her eyes a little, "I'm allowed to be uptight - I'm british."

Hope: "That's an excuse." Hope grinned at her. "Too bad we can't have pets in the dorm. I mean, besides Curt." She shot Jess a smirk.

Jessica: She laughed a little, "I'm sure we could if we asked nicely but I'm not sure I'd be a good pet owner...."

Hope: "What about a fish?"

Jessica: "Why the hell would you want a fish as a pet?"

Hope: "Well... if it dies, you can flush it."

Jessica: "Yeah but... they don't do anything...."

Hope: "Exactly... but they swim. They are cute to watch."

Jessica: She wrinkled her nose a little, "I would've thought the point of getting a pet would be to, well... pet it?"

Hope: "Then why do they call fish pets?"

Jessica: "Because it sounds better than 'boring swimming things'?"

Hope: Hope laughed at her. "You're so goofy sometimes. You know that?"

Jessica: She raised an eyebrow at her, "I don't know if I should be offended or not...."

Hope: "Not. I think... I don't mean it in a bad way at least."

Jessica: "Okay..." she put her head back down and tried to get on with that relaxing thing.

Hope: "I can do this right?"

Jessica: "Hmm? Can do what?" she opened an eye.

Hope: "Be happy again."

Jessica: "Of course you can," she gave her a smile.

Hope: Hope smiled back, though somewhat weakly. She doubted it. "You ready to get your nails done?"

Jessica: Jess thought about it a little then nodded, "Yeah okay..."

tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

Laura: Laura slipped back into her and Jessica's room, pausing just inside the doorway. She sniffed, looked around, and blinked at the random items. Smelled like... Hope. She had been under the impression Hope was out of the country, but she supposed she could have reappeared while she was out with Curt. She moved to place the things on her bed, starting to unpack immediately.

Jessica: Jess climbed back in from her rooftop session with Hope and blinked, "Laura!" she smiled, climbing the rest of the way in, "Did you have fun?"

Laura: Laura turned and gave her a nod as well as a small grin before going to place her dirty clothes in the hamper with the others, "It was a lot of fun, though a bit loud at times. However, it was well worth it."

Jessica: "Good, I'm glad you had a nice time," she sat down on her bed. "Did you like the music?"

Laura: She paused as she considered it, shaking her head, "Not quite all of it. However, the Killers were quite entertaining. They played the first evening we were there. Bright Eyes was also quite nice, though I believe we were asleep for most of their set. There were also a few others that I enjoyed. Curt even got me this shirt." She tossed the shirt in Jess' direction.

Jessica: Jess picked it up to look and smiled at her, "Sounds like everything's going okay with you two."

Laura: "Indeed," she replied simply as she continued to put everything she'd taken back into their place.

Jessica: "I have a present for you..." she wasn't sure how else to approach the subject, "Well two actually..."

Laura: "A present?" Laura blinked, stopping in her unpacking in favor of turning to face her roommate.

Jessica: Jess nodded, "Danny sent us both something...." she picked up the packages, "Here." she held one of them out to her.

Laura: She stared blankly at the present before warily taking it. She eyed the box a bit more, turning it over in her hands as she studied it. She finally looked from it to Jess, "What do you think it is?"

Jessica: "I have no idea. I didn't open mine yet..." she picked up her own box.

Laura: "I suppose it is not something dangerous, considering the source."

Jessica: "See... I asked him about that... kind of... he got all offended when I suggested he didn't like you so I think we're good." she smiled a little, "And it looks like I may have the same thing so..."

Laura: "He was very insistent that we become friends on the phone when he called to make his apology speech," she commented and moved to sit down, getting a start on prying the box open.

Jessica: "Yes. He's all about making friends now." she smiled, pulling the tab that said 'open here' on it and watching the little plastic zip rip through all the card. That was more fun that it should have been.

Laura: Laura pulled the thin tablet from the confines of the box, head tilting in a curious manner, "What is it supposed to be?"

Jessica: Jess eyed her own, "Don't know..." she found an instruction manual. "Apparently it's a computer."

Laura: Her brow furrowed, "I already have a computer."

Jessica: "I don't..." she peered back into the box, "Where's the other half of it?" she wanted the part with the keys on.

Laura: Laura frowned as she turned the thing over in her hands, pausing to eye the Rand Industries logo. After a few moments of consideration, she spoke, "Maybe I can just give it to Curt..."

Jessica: "Maybe he can show me how to use mine..." for now though, back in the box. She tucked it safely under her bed with her other valuables.

Laura: "Do you want me to ask him?" she offered as she placed hers back in the box as well, getting up to place the box on her desk.

Jessica: "There's no rush.... I'll get to it..." she went to her bag to take out her own gift to Laura. "The lady in the shop asked if I wanted it wrapped when I said it was a gift so I guessed that was what I was supposed to do with it." She held it out to her.

Laura: "I am not sure I see the point if you are just going to find out what it is anyway," Laura reasoned. She'd finished taking things out of her bag and placed it on the floor, pushing it under the bed with her foot. Then, she moved to take the gift-wrapped item, inspecting it as well. She found where it was taped and started to carefully peel the paper away.

Jessica: "I think it's to make it more of a surprise or something...?" she guessed, "I don't know but the paper's nice."

Laura: Laura frowned slightly as it ripped, revealing a patch of green, "It is not very durable though."

Jessica: "No... but it's okay, I bought more."

Laura: "Why?" she questioned as she set the wrapping paper aside, turning the creature over in her hands. It appeared to be a mutated lizard, which she supposed was the point once she really considered it. She added with a small grin, "Thank you."

Jessica: Jess smiled back, "You're welcome. I saw it and thought of you."

Laura: Laura placed the Godzilla plush on her bed next to her pillow and sat down herself. She nodded to the belongings, stating, "We have Hope as a guest."

Jessica: She nodded, "Yeah... she broke up with Johnny and she needs friends right now so I let her move in until she feels better... I hope that's okay..."

Laura: "Broke up? Like, she broke him?"

Jessica: She shook her head, "No... their relationship... they're not dating anymore...."

Laura: "Oh."

Jessica: "Yeah... so try not to talk about Johnny... or Sue either if you can help it."

Laura: "That should not be overly difficult."

Jessica: Jess gave her a smile, "Thanks."

Laura: "You are welcome," she glanced around the room, debating what to do. Her eyes fell on her pillow and plush. She had slept well for camping, but it was not the same as a bed. Maybe she would take a small nap.

Jessica: She followed Laura's eyeline, "I'll leave you to settle back in... I'm sure you probably would like a shower too... see you later, Laura." She got up from her seat.

Laura: "Ah, yes. I will see you later as well," Laura replied. She had wanted to take one of those, but it could wait a little while. She moved to settle down on the bed with her eyes closed. After lying still for a few moments, she opened her eyes to study the plush, reaching to pull it to her before closing her eyes once more.
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Curt: Curt knocked rapidly on Jess' door.

Jessica: Jess looked over at the door, frowning slightly as she went to answer it, "Oh hey..."

Curt: "Jess!" He looked like he couldn't breathe. He was taking gasping breaths. "Jess! Help!"

Jessica: "What's wrong?" she looked into the hall behind him, "Are you okay?"

Curt: "I-... no!" He ran to the bed and sat down immediately. "She's-... where is she?"

Jessica: "Where is who?" Jess followed him once she closed the door.

Curt: "Laura! She's not-... Jess, I can't do it! I can't be with her! I have to break up with her! I can't breathe! Jess, I think I'm having a panic attack? Paper bag? Something?"

Jessica: "Uh just.... breathe slowly, in through your nose, out through your mouth. Count to three on your inhale and exhale..." she rubbed his back a little, who kept paper bags in their rooms? "Calm down then you can explain this craziness."

Curt: "I... I can't... I can't do it..." he tried to breathe out his mouth. It felt like it was helping. "I'm not good enough. I have one arm. I'm a nerd. I can't do this. I can't. I'm pathetic."

Jessica: "Shhh, of course you can." She continued to rub his back soothingly, "Laura thinks your good enough."

Curt: "She's wrong!" He exclaimed. "She doesn't know better! I could turn into a monster and eat her! What if we had kids? I can't trust him around kids... Kids? Oh my God! Parents? We'd have to be married! I don't think she even gets marriage... Oh God..."

Jessica: Jess decided there was nothing for it. He was getting hysterical. She slapped him. "You're being ridiculous."

Curt: "Ow! I'm in pain! I'm hysterical and I'm in pain!"

Jessica: "You're in pain because you're hysterical. Now stop it or I'll hit you again."

Curt: "I'm not going to be able to do it!" he assured her. "I can't! I'm not right! This is such a bad idea! I mean look at Danny! He's got everything, he's successful, he's got you, he's got it all! I have Laura, and I don't have the things she deserves. I don't have the ability to get those things."

Curt: "Jess, I'm just some science nerd and I'm never going to be anything more. I should end it before it gets worse..."

Jessica: "Curt, listen to me now..." She moved in front of him and crouched to be level with his face. "None of that stuff matters. The only thing that matters is whether or not you care about her. And you obviously do. The rest is... not important. It's all just stuff. You think I want all that stuff Danny can buy for me now? No. I don't need it. All I want is for him to be here."

Curt: "But I'm unsuccessful and nerdy. And I have one arm. I can't even hug her properly..." He started welling up. "I don't know what to do!"

Jessica: "You need to stop freaking out." Jess sighed, "Laura likes you enough to date you. That should be enough. Don't worry about all the rest. You're being silly."

Curt: "I'm being realistic. In nature, the best candidate for a mate has something to offer. Bobby stopped being able to offer something, so Lorna dumped him. He stopped being capable of being responsible as a mate. Now... as Lizard's noticed, Professor Drake has competitors."

Curt: "Other, well... 'mates' are circling. And I'm sure the same is happening to me. I'm not... the right 'mate' for her." he hung his head and tried not to cry.

Jessica: Jess knelt up and hugged him, "Curt, you're not listening. Laura likes you. And you care about her. Believe me when I say that's enough. This isn't survival of the fittest. Relationships are built on love and trust and I know you two have that."

Curt: "But... I'm weak." He said quietly. He took the hug and sort of felt bad. Like Laura or Danny or someone should be judging him.

Jessica: "No you're not. You're smart."

Curt: "That doesn't really mean anything anymore..." he said flatly.

Jessica: "It does to Laura." She reminded him, "She likes your brain.... and not in a wanting to eat it kind of way."

Curt: "... What happened to Hope and Johnny after I left?" he asked, afraid to hear the answer. He noticed some of Hope's things in the room.

Jessica: "They.... had a fight and broke up." There was no point not telling him.

Curt: "Oh God..." He knew they weren't going to make it but he didn't want to hear that now.

Jessica: "Yeah... I'm trying to help Hope through it... I don't want to have to console Laura too so you need to get over this... thing."

Hope: Hope came in the room with a fresh bowl of ice cream. She blinked at Curt, then smiled a bit. "Hey Curt."

Curt: "Oh... Hi..." he scratched the back of his head looking away. "I'm uh... really sorry."

Curt: His eyes were puffy from not crying. He wasn't crying. Oh My God... I'm a puss.

Hope: "For.... what? What's wrong?" She offered him the bowl of ice cream instead.

Curt: He took it, unsure at first, then realizing he really needed it. His eyes rolled into the back of his head as he took a spoonful.

Jessica: Jess smiled at Hope and mouthed 'thank you'.

Hope: Hope just shrugged then frowned. Now what was she supposed to eat for dinner?

Curt: Curt smiled. "I'm sorry" he said, mouth full of ice crem. "I'm not trying to eat your dessert here, I just... Feel miserable." He looked to Jess to explain so he could eat more.

Jessica: "He's got it into his head that he's not good enough for Laura. I told him that's bullshit but apparently my word isn't good enough."

Curt: He quickly stuffed more ice cream into his mouth to hide his shame.

Hope: Hope just stared at him. "If you break her heart with your crap I'll end you."

Curt: "I'll... I didn't... she can't be that attached already, can she?" Then he froze. "Wait... she kissed me. She. Kissed me." He looked to them. "You didn't hear that."

Jessica: She laughed a little, "I told you she likes you." She ruffled Curt's hair then got to her feet.

Hope: Hope put two and two together from what he said. "You want to break up with her now?!"

Curt: "Well... I'm not... the right... mate..." he got considerably quieter as he talked.

Jessica: "You know... you could be onto something... you are an idiot..."

Curt: He hung his head. "Ouch."

Hope: Hope smacked him upside his head. "Snap out of it!"

Curt: He almost started crying again, ice cream spilling out of his spoon back ito the bowl. "Ow..."

Hope: "Don't you give me that look. Be a man. You want to be with her don't you?!"

Curt: "Y-yeah?" He said, meekly. "Of course. I - she's... so pretty. And she's funny. And she's awesome..."

Hope: "Then stop whining! Go be happy and shit."

Curt: "I-... I don't know..." What was she doing to him? She was making him feel bad. He wasn't right for Laura... was he?

Hope: "You don't know? Did you not think about this before you started dating her? Did you not carefully consider things? You are going to be the bigest dickwad if you break up with her now, and that includes Johnny!"

Jessica: Jess folded her arms so she wouldn't shake him.

Curt: Curt didn't like being compared to Johnny. "Y-... you're right."

Hope: "Duh. I'm always right."

Jessica: "Of course we are. Now pull yourself together, get off your ass and stop feeling sorry for yourself."

Curt: "Alright..." He got up and looked to them. He handed the empty bowl back to Hope. "You're right. Both of you. Thank you." he turned and ran out of the room shouting "Laura, here I come!"

Jessica: Jess smiled a little at Hope, "We're a good team."

Hope: Hope grinned and nodded. "Yeah. We are."

Curt: The sound of Curt stumbling down the stairs and crying out in pain echoed down the hall.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Rand: The hot blue fiat rolled into the driveway of the school. It stayed parked with the car running for a few moments.

Rand: A man in a slick silver suit got out as a limo pulled up to the gate. The man in the silver suit entered the school and began to speak with one of the faculty members, showing proper identification and such. The limo doors stayed closed while the riders awaited.

Jessica: Jess heard the cars from her spot on the roof and looked to see who it was. Huh limousine... wait. Rand industries. Danny! She left the roof and landed in front of the cars a few paces away.

Rand: A tall man got out of the limo. He wore very nice sunglasses, a very nice suit, very nice shoes, and a very nice watch. He was not Danny Rand. "Jess, right?" He said in a very nice foreign accent. He was dark toned, he appeared to be middle eastern. Maybe.

Jessica: She nodded, looking more than a little confused as she glanced between the cars and the man now talking to her. "Where's Danny?"

Rand: "Ms. Jess, my name is Marco Rashad. You can call me Marco. I'm here on Mr. Rand's behalf. He is currently being held up in the city and sends his apologies." He pointed to the limo and then the house. Three men got out and followed the man who got out of the Fiat into the house and up the stairs.

Jessica: She frowned a little and looked after the men that headed into the house, "What are they doing?"

Rand: "They are taking some of Mr. Rand's things to the apartment in the city. He has stated very clearly that his home is going to be in the city. He will spend time away as work calls for him to do, but he will return here each time. We are setting up offices for him by the end of the month."

Rand: He pulled out a keycard pass that had a shoelace material for a necklace attached to it. "This is for you. It is for both his apartment and the level four security clearance to get to his offices. Security should give you no trouble. Mr. Rand is level eight you will need him to go past the fourth floor."

Rand: "He is delivering the Fiat to a Mr... Maxwell? I believe. I was told it belongs to 'the spiky fella'." As he spoke another truck with "Rand Industries" printed on it pulled up. It carried a large trailer behind it. "Ah, the motorcycles are here."

Rand: The doors swung open and they were rolled out. One was blue and red, the other yellow and black. "These are for you and Ms Laura."

Jessica: Jess took the card tentatively and eyed the motorbikes. "Uh... okay...." she frowned again. "I'm not sure what either of us are going to do with those..."

Rand: "He says you should find ways to use them." Marco waved the workers to the garage where they began to wheel the motorcycles to. "He says he'll come see you this evening." Flowers came out of the back of the truck. "Those are for Ms. Hope."

Jessica: She smiled a little at that, taking the flowers. "Okay... um... thanks?"

Rand: "There's more." he said, as more and more flowers came out. "Where should they be?" he asked.

Jessica: "Oh jeez... uh, I don't know...." Jess chewed her lip, "She's been staying in my room but it's already crowded with three of us... I guess just put them at the bottom of the stairs and we'll figure it out..." she sniffed the bouquet in her hands. Nice.

Rand: "And these are for you." Four more bouquets came out.

Jessica: "Wow.... okay... same place..." She decided to hand off the flowers she had taken in case there were more surprises and ran a hand through her hair.

Rand: "Mr. Rand is staying at his assistant's apartment until his is finished being remodeled, should be by Friday."

Rand: "He will be coming by in the company limo to take you this evening. He says you're not one for jewlery but his assistant said she would pick something nice out for you." He pulled a box from his front pocket.

Rand: "These are pearl earrings from the coast of Africa. He decided they would be best, but he wasn't sure if you would want them." Marco shrugged. "I personally believe they would look lovely on you, now that I have seen you."

Jessica: "Why can't he stay here til Friday...?" she mumbled, looking down at the ground. And now there was a box in her eyeline. Why did she feel like she was being bought off? She sighed, holding her hand out for them, "I'll wear them if he wants me to..."

Rand: "I'm sure he loves you enough that the earrings make no difference. However, my partner and I found them to be quite beautiful and we're very jealous." he admitted with a smile. "Ms. Jessica, I am sure you are feeling a bit uncomfortable. I have done this job for many CEO's from many corporations. Mr. Rand is the first one I've seen to..."

Rand: How should he put this? "Take advantage of the spending for those he loves before himself. Besides his apartment, he has turned down the company helicopter and has even insisted on being in regular seating rather than first class. Small, yes, but he is not interested in the fanfare I think. He appears to be interested in giving you what he said was 'what you never had and always deserved'."

Jessica: "And I keep telling him I can't miss what I never had... so you can tell him that again for me since you obviously see him more than I do now... I would much rather be able to sit next to him for a while and have a real conversation than have any of this stuff...." And damn it, the earings were nice too. Ugh.

Rand: He watched her eyes. "They are very nice, aren't they? I will tell him though. He has cancelled all meetings and held the red-eye plane for L.A. off to come see you this evening."

Jessica: She nodded, "Thanks.... I guess I should go now... make sure no one gets lost in that forest of flowers...."

Rand: "Yes. Oh! And Ms. Jessica," he pulled out two pieces of paper. "These are the registrations to the bikes. They are under your name, both of them. One is still for Ms. Laura however."

Jessica: She took them, "Thanks..." she heaved another sigh and turned back for the school, eyes fixed on the ground.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Danny: The limo pulled up and Marco got out, opening the door for Danny. Danny winked at him and let Marco fix his bow tie. "Thanks, man." he said to Marco. Marco nodded.

Danny: "Do me a favor? Call Clare, tell her the phone is off for the next four hours."

Danny: Marco nodded again and Danny took off down the walkway to the mansion, flowers in hand.

Jessica: Jess waited in the entrance hall for Danny. Not really sure on the time, she'd already been there for a half hour and was now pacing the floor in her heels. She was wearing a dress for the first time in living memory (because Miss Guthrie had insisted on it after fixing her hair for her) and she'd put the earings in despite the uneasy feeling it gave her.

Danny: Danny opened the door and his jaw dropped. "Jess..." She was stunning as she stood there, unwares that he had even got to the door. She must've been nervous, she should've heard him coming. "You're gorgeous."

Danny: He noticed the earrings. Looks like Marco and Clare had been right. She liked them, at least enough to wear them. "I'm-... wow. Oh, these are for you." He gave her the bouquet.

Jessica: "More flowers? Danny I already have enough to open my own shop.... but thank you, they're beautiful..." she gave him a smile and sniffed them before leaning to kiss his cheek. "I didn't know what we were doing but... I thought I should make an effort so I didn't show you up..."

Danny: "I think we're proving life can't get us down." Danny suggested. "And as for the flowers, well... You can leave them in the limo if you'd like. How did Laura like the bike?"

Jessica: "She liked it okay...." Jess nodded, "Probably going to get a few tickets."

Danny: "That's to be expected..." he said with a smile. "And Max got the Fiat, I'm assuming? He's helping me out with GPS tech we're beta testing. I don't want soldiers to take it, I don't think it should be a military tool. I want field researchers and ecologists to take it, so I'm proving it works in the field through Max."

Danny: "He should be bringing it wherever he goes. If you can, and you see him, ask him about it for me. Please." Marco got the door and winked at Jess when he saw the earrings. He got into the front passenger seat of the limo and Danny told the driver the address.

Jessica: "Um... okay...." she slid into her seat and shifted a little uncomfortably. She reached for Danny's hand in the vague hope it would make her feel somewhat better.

Danny: He took it and gladly wrapped her hand into his own. "So, Delmonico's came highly suggested but honestly if you wanted Wendy's we can go. I just figured we should go somewhere nice now that... well. We can."

Jessica: "As long as they have vegetarian options I don't care where we eat," she replied, resting her head on his shoulder, "I'm just glad you're actually here."

Danny: He tapped the glass. "Can we do the five-star Thai place instead?" He asked Marco. Marco grinned and nodded, glad Danny was taking his suggestion.

Danny: "So, ..." He pushed the button and the window separating the driver and Danny's limo seating darkened. "I'm really sorry about how long this has been. L.A. is one red-eye tomorrow and then a red-eye back the next day and I'm here until the end of September after that." He promised.

Jessica: She hugged him tightly, "I missed you!"

Danny: He laughed and hugged her tightly as well. "I missed you too." he said, kissing the top of her head. "And you have no idea how bad it has been. I haven't slept in two days." It showed. His eyes were bagged and his breath was freshly cleaned, as if he had just brushed. "Clare accidentally broke my phone, I've had to use hers. However." He held it up and tossed it to the seat across from them. "It's off for four hours." He looked past Jess out the window. Thirty minute drive... I hope she's okay.

Jessica: "It's fine... I've been freaking out that you were sending all this stuff because you weren't coming back... but you're here now..." she kissed him softly.

Danny: He returned it. "I am. And we have some time to ourselves now... about thirty minutes to keep you distracted." He kissed her again, more deeply.

Jessica: "Don't mess up my hair," she mumbled against his lips, "It took Miss Guthrie freaking forever."

[[Time Passes]]

Danny: The door opened and Marco tried not to smile too widely at them. Danny nodded to him, a smirk on his face, and took Jess' hand as he led her to the door of the Thai place.

Danny: They were given a booth on the second floor, there were less people up there, and near a window. He looked at her and said very simply: "There's no such thing as too expensive here, okay?"

Jessica: Jess gave his hand a squeeze and rested her head on his shoulder as they walked into the restaurant. "Okay...." she was sure she was going to disagree.

Danny: As they sat, the host gave them menus and water. He offered them alcohol, Danny told him no thank you. He smiled to Jess. "Still recovering."

Jessica: "And I don't drink anyway so that's fine," she smiled. "Can't see the point."

Danny: "So what do we want?" he asked happily. "To eat, rather."

Jessica: "I'm good with anything as long as any meat in it had two legs or less when it was walking around...."

Danny: The vegetarian dishes were aplenty, as Marco had promised. Danny was impressed with the vegan choices as well. He had been trying to stick with it and had found he'd done fairly well. Today was a day for exception.

Danny: He ordered a large plate of vegetable lo mein and the spicy peanut vegetable dish looked fantastic as well.

Jessica: Jess ordered a simple noodle dish with prawns. She wasn't especially hungry anyway.

Danny: When the waiter took the order he asked if they wanted any other drinks besides water. Danny took a ginger ale and looked to Jess to hear her order.

Jessica: "Tea." It was obviously going to be her choice.

Danny: He brought both quickly and Danny smiled to Jess. "You know, Clare says that I'm crazy for leaving you behind."

Jessica: "Well obviously she's right," Jess said with a small smirk. "But why?"

Danny: "Well... she thinks you should come with me." he said quietly. "At least to L.A."

Jessica: She chewed her lip, "I can't.... I need to stay here... keep an eye on Hope..."

Danny: "Hope?" Danny was confused. "She needs you? That badly?"

Jessica: "She doesn't get out of bed most days, so I'd say yes...."

Danny: "She ... you can't?" He felt like he was being slightly blown off. "L.A. is only a day, so I guess it's not that big a deal."

Jessica: "Exactly, you'll be back the day after tomorrow and I'll get to see you every day for a few weeks." She smiled.

Danny: "Yeah. Most likely." He said, nodding.

Jessica: She frowned a little, "What do you mean 'most likely'?"

Danny: "Well, I will have some stuff to do during the day a few days a week, in the New York labs, but honestly I think it'll be fast enough you might even be able to come with me."

Jessica: "Well that's fine - you're in the same city... I can deal with that."

Danny: "Right." He said. The plates came to them and Danny quickly got to his dish. "This... is... amazing. Good call Marco."

Jessica: She smiled a little, "He seems pretty okay...." she commented as she tried her own food.

Danny: "You like the earrings, I take it? He and Clare both urged me to get them. I ... I don't know I didn't think you did that kind of jewelry."

Jessica: "I... don't normally... I just thought... I didn't want to seem ungrateful..." she chewed her lip, adding hastilly: "They are nice!"

Danny: He smiled. "They do look fantastic on you." He told her. "Your whole... everything. It's fantastic. You're beautiful. I am stupidly lucky."

Jessica: She blushed a little, "I think if you were to ask anyone, they'd say I was the lucky one..."

Danny: "They'd only say that because I'm littering Xavier's with gifts lately. Don't kid yourself, I've been a jerk. And I'm looking to turn that around. Did you want to stay with me tonight at Clare's place?"

Jessica: She frowned a little, "I don't know... that'd be awkward...."

Danny: "Well, she's getting a new place on my floor once I move in. This room is going to go up for rent once mine is finished being refurnished."

Danny: "Clare is going to be on the same floor as me for the sake of easing me into the company, being at my beck and call. Right now her 'apartment' is currently mine. She is staying at her Mother's, who she has been taking care of."

Jessica: "Oh... that's nice..." she poked her food around a little, "I was given a key today... so I could see you at work or go to your apartment..."

Danny: "Yup. I gave specific orders to give you clearance level six."

Jessica: "He said something about level four.... I don't know what any of that means.... I don't know that I'll use it...."

Danny: Danny cursed. Coulson. He still didn't trust him. "I'll fix that. For now, you won't be able to get past level four. But you should come see me. Whenever. If I'm not there, and Clare or Marco are, they'll help you out and get a hold of me right away."

Jessica: "I don't even know where these buildings are, Danny... it's fine... I'll just wait til you come and get me... I don't want to make a nuisance of myself...."

Danny: "You're not a nuisance." he urged. He took another bite. This plate was awesome. "How's yours?" he asked.

Jessica: She nodded, "It's nice..." she offered a small smile.

Danny: "Can you at least come by the place tonight?" He asked. "I want you to see it. My new flat will be above the room I'm staying in now, I can show it to you."

Jessica: "Okay... but doesn't your plane leave soon?"

Danny: "Eight hours." he said, rounding down. "Honestly... I can't sleep right without you in that bed with me tonight."

Jessica: She nodded, she did sleep better with him there, "Alright...."

Danny: He nodded. "Thank you." He smiled to her and twirled the noodles around his fork. "I'll make sure Marco and I bring you back to Hope before I take off."

Jessica: She smiled, "Good. She'd be worried about me."

Danny: "How did she like the spa trip?" Danny asked. "And does she like the flowers?"

Jessica: "There was a lot of flowers... you may have noticed we kind of just decorated the entrance hall with them.... we couldn't keep them in my room, it's crowded as hell in there...."

Danny: "Yeah..." he laughed. "Sorry... went a little overkill with that. I apologize."

Jessica: "It's okay, they smell really nice and now everyone can enjoy them." she smiled more easily now. This was a safer topic.

Danny: "And the spa?" He asked. "She enjoyed it?"

Jessica: Jess nodded, "Yeah... it seemed to really help.... So thanks for that."

Danny: "Good. I'm glad. That was mostly Clare, I'll tell her it helped. And for the record, Hope can probably do better than Johnny anyways." That didn't mean Johnny couldn't do better either though... he thought to himself.

Jessica: "Maybe.... but she's not in a place to be told that right now..." she looked down at her plate, pushing her food around again.

Danny: "Right... Makes sense." He realized his plate was mostly finished.

Jessica: Jess chewed her lip and set her fork down in favour of her tea.

Danny: The waiter came over and offered to box their leftovers.

Jessica: Jess nodded to that. She didn't want to waste it.

Danny: Danny shrugged away the left over noodles, completely not enough to take home, and the waiter left the bill. Danny pulled out his card and left it there.

Danny: "Have you spoken with Johnny at all?" He asked.

Jessica: She shook her head, "No... I haven't seen him since before they left or spoke to him."

Danny: "Hm." He'd have to get a hold of Johnny. Or at least Sue. "And I'm assuming same for Sue?"

Jessica: "Yeah... I don't really speak to her anyway... she's isolated in her room a lot yelling at the internet... I hear it... she swears a lot."

Danny: "At the internet?" He wasn't sure he understood, but he accepted it. "Strange." The bill left and came back, Danny signed for it with a smile and left two 50's for a tip. "Okay, back to the flat?" he asked.

Jessica: She nodded slowly, taking her box of leftovers as she got to her feet, "Okay..."

Danny: He put his hand at her lower back as they left. It felt like everyone was watching them. And the truth was, most of them were. They got to the limo and after Marco helped them both in, Danny gave the word, and they were off.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Jessica: Jess huffed as she flicked through the channels. They needed something else to watch. Shark WEEK was fine... if it only lasted a week. That was some false advertising right there. "See anything good yet?"

Hope: "No... ugh why is there nothing ever good on?!" She glared at the tv, willing something exciting to come on. Hope took a bite of her cake, chewing thoughtfully. Who first thought of puting icing on cake? They were brilliant.

Jessica: "I don't know... I suppose we could always go back to sharks but there has to be something better than that..." she frowned a little, "Oh hey. Did you know I have a motorbike now?"

Hope: ".....why?" Hope just stared at her.

Jessica: "I don't know. Danny sent Laura and me one each..."

Hope: "That's kind of special.... what's with all his gifts?"

Jessica: "I don't know... he wants to be nice to everyone I guess.... because he can now." she shrugged, "It's fine, he can do that... I'd just rather he give me time than things..."

Hope: "Where is he anyway?" Hope took another bite of her cake, glancing over at Jess. Boyfriends sucked anyway.

Jessica: Jess checked her watch, "On a plane to L.A."

Hope: Hope sighed. "Well, what is his deal anyway?"

Jessica: She glanced over at her, pausing in her channel hopping. "What do you mean?"

Hope: "I mean, why can't he be here?"

Jessica: "He wants to be in charge of his company... and I guess he's in a huge hurry and hasn't learned how to say 'no' when they tell him to go somewhere..." she ran a hand through her hair. "When he gets back he's supposed to be here for a few weeks though so that'll be nice..."

Hope: "Why does he have to physically be there though? If he's in charge he should be able to work where he wants to."

Jessica: "I don't know... he wants to learn how it all works... I don't think he's in charge yet." She frowned, "Which I don't get because his name's on the company but whatever... some complicated legal mumbo jumbo..." she went back to flicking through the channels.

Hope: "That sounds about retarded actually. I mean, if it's his company..." Hope shrugged. "Woah wait, go back. What was that?"

Jessica: "Uh..." Jess pressed the button to go the other way, pausing on the news. Pictures of a very bad plane crash were on the screen.

Hope: Hope squinted as she read the flight number from JFK to... LAX, crash landed in Minnesota. "Dang... that looks bad."

Jessica: The remote slipped from her hand and onto the floor and her hands went up to cover her mouth. Oh no...

Hope: Hope looked from her to the tv. Oh hell. "Was that...."

Jessica: She nodded, still staring at the tv with her hands over her mouth. Oh God. This wasn't happening.

Hope: Hope winced as the screen flashed a message that said no surivors yet.

Jessica: Jess choked on a sob.

Hope: Scooting over to Jess, Hope wrapped her arms around her. Well this just sucked.

Jessica: Jess curled up and leaned against her, "Please turn it off..." she managed to choke out.

Hope: Hope turned the TV off and cuddled up with Jess, just holding her. There were no words she could say to make this any better.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Jessica: Jess had gone for a long walk through the grounds once she'd recovered enough to use her legs. The pain was still unbearable and she didn't know what to do with herself. She'd worried this would happen for a long time now. She sat down by the lake and drew her knees close to her chest, wrapping arms around her legs and staring out over the water.

Danny: Danny laughed as Clare tore his shirt off and threw it to the floor. "I am so sorry..." she said in her beautiful irish accent. Danny kept chuckling. "It's fine, it's just red wine. I'll get another shirt..."

Danny: "You don't have another shirt!" She said, guffawing. "You are staying at my place!" Danny laughed again. The jet lag had him almost loopy. Everything was funny, so funny that when he threw his hands up to laugh, her glass of wine had spilt onto his shirt and a bit in his lap.

Danny: "I'm not taking my pants off..." He said with a grin. She nodded. "Good idea. You were about to call, Jess?" She reminded, handing him a cell phone. He laughed again and took it, dialing. "What would I do without you?" He asked, his tie still around his neck, dangling down his bare chest.

Jessica: Jess winced when her phone started ringing. Why didn't she leave it inside? Who would possibly be calling her now? She reached her hand into her pocket and dug it out, scrubbing her face with her free hand before answering, "Hello?" God. Her voice sounded almost as bad as she felt.

Danny: Danny's smile faded. "Jess? What's wrong?" Clare saw his expression and instantly shut up, going back to dabbing the rug to get the wine out. Blot, blot, blot. Don't notice me... She thought to herself.

Jessica: Someone was playing tricks on her. "Who is this and how did you get my number?"

Danny: "What the-Jess! It's Danny! What's wrong? Do I need to come home?" He looked to Clare and indicated with his hand that he needed something. She realized he was indicating keys. Car keys. She dashed into the kitchen found them in his coat and tossed them to him as he went down the hall, past the indoor waterfall, and out the exit to the rear elevator.

Jessica: "No you're not!" It sounded like Danny but it couldn't be... he was on that plane....

Danny: "Of course it is! Who the heck else would it be? What the hell is wrong?" He was so confused. She sounded beyond upset. Distraught. "I'm coming home, I'm going to take the red-eye from L.A., right now."

Jessica: "It can't be! Your plane crashed!" she rolled onto her side as a fresh wave of sobbing hit her.

Danny: "What?!" Danny got into his beautiful car, that right now -- with her in a panic, seemed less beautiful. Less important. "What are you talking about? Jess I took an early flight, I forgot to tell you!"

Jessica: Jess tried to calm down. It was alright. He was alive. She took a few deep breaths to steady her breathing... and then the anger hit. "How could you forget to tell me that?! I've been going out of my mind! Your flight is all over the news! Did you even turn on a fucking tv or a radio?! You could have called me when you landed!"

Danny: Turning on the battery he wet to flip the radio on, expecting to hear more talk-radio as it had been when he was chatting it up with Clare on the drive from LAX. Instead, it was coverage of a plane crash out of JFK, crashing somewhere over Minnesota.

Danny: Danny felt a knot in his stomach. He was supposed to be on that plane. He should be dead. Had Clare not talked him into a red-eye in order to get back to Jess faster...

Danny: "I... I had no idea."

Jessica: "Of course you didn't! You don't think about me anymore! All it would have taken was a quick call to tell me you were safe and didn't crash in a firey explosion in the ass end of nowhere like the flight you told me you would be on!"

Danny: "I'm sorry! I was supposed to be done with everything by this afternoon and on another red-eye back! There was an emergency! Someone made a breakthrough with-" he didn't even see the point. "Jess I didn't know! Clare talked me into a quick one-day trip so that I could get back here faster!"

Jessica: "One phonecall Danny! Thirty seconds out of your day! A text even! You get driven around everywhere now you can spare your fucking thumbs!" Okay she was angry. Really angry.

Danny: "I did the driving! I demanded I do the driving! I wanted full control of this trip so I could get back faster! Again, get back faster to you!"

Danny: The parking garage security guard zoomed up in his segway, flashing a light to Danny and his commotion. Danny batted the light away with a hand. "Do you fucking mind, man!?" he shouted. He shut the door and locked it.

Jessica: "Why would you even bother? You're just going to leave again in a day or so! And then what are you going to send? Another pair of expensive earings? Or a necklace this time? I don't need to be bought, Danny! I am not your whore!" She surprised herself with that one but it was out there now. And it wasn't like it was a fresh idea in her head.

Danny: Danny's jaw dropped. He punched his wheel, the horn blaring. "You have got to be kidding me!?" he shouted. "I'm not... You're not a whore! And you're not my whore! You can't possibly think that's how I feel? How could you seriously feel that's what I think of you!"

Danny: "Jess, you know what I said to Clare when I landed? I told her that landing here was a mistake, and I should've stayed in New York City. But then I thought of how stupid I would be for missing an opportunity to give you a life better than you've had, give you a successful life outside of XU and all you seem to be concerned about is everyone there!"

Danny: "You think I want to be there anymore? I killed people for them, Jess! I killed! And you know what? Not one of them said 'Thank you. I'm sorry you had to do that.' They just shunned me. No one. Not. Even. You."

Jessica: "Have I ever given you any idication that I want any of this stuff?! I don't need it! I was happy with just you and whatever life we could have made for ourselves! And of course I'm fucking thinking of this place! It's the first and only place I've ever felt like I actually belonged! You have no idea what that's like!" She sat up and ran a hand through her hair.

Jessica: "And don't bring all that stuff up! I stood by you! I knew what you were doing and I kept your fucking secret! So don't you dare try to tell me I didn't do what I could for you! I saved your life Danny!"

Danny: "I don't know what it's like?!" He screeched. "To lose your parents? To stand somewhere you know is not your home but it's the closest thing you'll ever get? Are you kidding me!?" And then of course, she brought up the suicide attempt.

Danny: "If you had any idea what I was going through, you would have given me more support in the rehab. You hated it, you hated me going. Admit it. You hated it so bad, you told me it was a fight to keep yourself from cheating on me! That's your own words!" More or less.

Danny: "You don't know what happened that day! You have no fucking clue. You think I just decided to go to rehab? I saw what I was, what that school had made me, and I didn't want any part of it. I wanted to change, for you! The one who cared enough to save me! And now what? You care more about Hope?"

Danny: "Because Johnny dumped her? Shit sucks, it was wrong, he's an ass. I get that. But that doesn't mean you get to consider her first, she's not the one in love with you. Or is she?"

Jessica: "Don't bring her into this! It's not her fault! I have one friend here, Danny! ONE! And I want to keep her! So don't sit there and tell me I don't have a right to take care of her when she needs it! Yes I hated you going to rehab but I still let you go! I didn't beg you every day to come home! Even after that phonecall! I was so worried about you I almost got on a plane to go and check on you!"

Jessica: "I never asked you to change! I liked you for who you were! I don't care about any of that superficial crap! I don't care that you were on X-force and killed people! I DON'T CARE! And I don't care about all the money! It doesn't matter! It's just STUFF! I didn't even want a relationship but I didn't mind when we started dating because I liked you! Why isn't that enough?! Why aren't I?!"

Danny: "Because you won't say I love you!" He roared into the phone.

Danny: Silence. He felt like that was it. That was the point the whole time, he had nothing else to say now. He heard himself say, in his head of course, the defense would like to rest their case.

Jessica: "I CAN'T! I can't because I'm terrified I'm going to lose you! I won't be hurt like that again! I physically cannot say it. My saying that to people gets them killed. Even thinking it." She squeezed her eyes shut and clenched her free hand into a fist, taking a deep breath and trying to calm down again.

Danny: "You know what almost killed me?" He said slowly. "Not hearing it. I almost got on a plane the time I was scheduled to, because I figured it didn't matter when I got back. Because you didn't love me, and this was a downward spiral anyways. Then... Then for one second, I realized... maybe I should go earlier. And come back earlier."

Jessica: "If that's the way you feel about it maybe we were over before we started." Her voice was flat, emotionless. It had to be or she'd never get the words out. "You don't listen to me anyway."

Danny: He didn't like hearing that. But there was no retort left in him. He had nothing to say. Well... maybe one thing. "If this is what you're really saying right now, can I please hang up and go back upstairs to Clare so I can go run my multi-billion dollar corporation without any interruption?"

Jessica: "Yeah... do what you want... go back upstairs and sleep with your assisstant." She ran a hand through her hair, "I'll send everything back."

Danny: "Don't bother. The bikes are yours. Trash 'em if you don't want 'em. It'll cost more money to send them back than it did to get them there." He didn't comment on Clare. He knew there was no way it would happen, but if she was so convinced she could have cheated on him, why should he correct her on this now?

Danny: "As for the earrings... keep them. Or give them away. Despite what you're feeling right now... you did look beautiful in them. And maybe some poor girl from some poor community could appreciate them better than you did."

Jessica: "Hard to appreciate something when you feel like you're being bought off." She hung up the phone.

Danny: He tried to say something but heard his phone beep and turn off. With intense energy surging through his hand, his fury bulking the mass of his fingers, he squeezed the phone. It broke into pieces falling apart in his hand as he opened it. His hand burned bright purple. At least it's not black he thought.

Danny: He got out of the car, threw the pieces to the ground and slammed the door. Then he opened it and slammed it again. And again. Suddenly he tore the door off and began to smash it through the windshield screaming "Damn it! FUCK! FUUUCK! AAARRGH FUCK!"

Danny: When he was done, when the windshield was gone, he dropped the door and heard from behind him, "Oh... Danny?" It was Clare. He turned around and she stood there, strings of tears down her cheeks. "I'm sorry - I'll go. It's just the guard he mentioned-" Danny shook his head and she rushed to him, hugging him.

Danny: "I'm so sorry." She whispered to his ear. "Not as sorry as I am." he admitted.

Jessica: Jess's reaction was much less violent. She sat down again on the grass, switching her phone off and putting it to one side before lying down and curling up to cry some more while no one was watching.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Rachel: Rachel was jogging. Well, she was supposed to be jogging because she had told herself she was going to go for a jog. It was more like walking. At a faster pace. Plus, you weren't supposed to run around swimming pools. The same thing applied to lakes, right? She thought it should... especially when there were people laying around them. She stopped and stared down at the girl.

Jessica: Jess blinked her eyes open and sniffed a little as she took in the shoes in her eyeline. They weren't familiar.

Rachel: "Uh..." she started, blinking, "Hey?"

Jessica: She turned her head a little to look at her then rolled onto her back, "Hi..."

Rachel: The girl looked... like someone she should know. "Do you generally sleep by the lake...?"

Jessica: She shook her head, covering her face with her hands and taking a deep breath.

Rachel: Rachel wasn't quite sure what to make of the situation in general and raked her fingers through her hair as she debated how to handle it, "So..." Yeah, that was totally helpful.

Jessica: Nope. No good. She was crying again. And now it was worse because it was in front of someone.

Rachel: She frowned slightly at that and moved to sit down, awkwardly patting the other girl's shoulder. It probably wasn't comforting to say 'please stop'.

Jessica: "I'm sorry..." she rolled onto her side again, "I can't stop..."

Rachel: "It's, um... It's fine..." Just awkward.

Jessica: She took another deep breath in order to try and steady herself enough to explain. "I broke up with my boyfriend..."

Rachel: "Oh." That explained it. However, she'd hidden in her room when that happened...

Jessica: "I thought he was dead and then he wasn't..." she sniffled again.

Rachel: "Well, I guess being dead would constitute for a break-up..."

Jessica: She shook her head, "He called me... he was supposed to be on that plane that crashed yesterday.... but he switched flights and didn't tell me..."

Rachel: "Ah... So he was an inconsiderate jerk."

Jessica: She nodded, "I yelled at him... and he threw a bunch of things in my face.... and I said some things I probably shouldn't have..."

Rachel: "That's generally how it goes in my experience," Rachel nodded.

Jessica: "He couldn't accept that I couldn't say it back... so I ended it...."

Rachel: "I was the one that was broken up with, so... Yeah..." she shrugged.

Jessica: She sniffed again. "It's my fault..."

Rachel: She was beginning to wonder how anyone dealt when her when her and Josh had broken up. Regardless, she was nowhere near as comforting as any of her friends had been. "Well, y'know... It just doesn't work sometimes..." Rachel refrained from the 'plenty of other fish in the sea' line. Just barely.

Jessica: "I wouldn't know...." she sniffled and wiped her eyes with her sleeve for what felt like the hundreth time.

Rachel: "Now you do?"

Jessica: "Apparently..." She took a steadying breath and finally managed to push herself up into a sitting position. She ran a hand through her hair.

Rachel: "I think I lived off ice cream, brownies, and hot chocolate."

Jessica: "I already have eaten too much of all of that lately... been looking after Hope..." she suppressed another sob when that familiar pain came back.

Rachel: "Then, maybe something healthy will be better?" In her opinion, the healthy option was never better, but maybe being opposite would work... At the next round of crying, Rachel bit down on her lip, hesitantly leaning to half-hug her. She was so not good at this.

Jessica: "I don't know what to do..."

Rachel: "Well, you can lay around crying and feeling bad about it or move on." The fact she was giving that advice was laughable to her since she had fucked off back home, but still...

Jessica: She sighed. Moving on was something she'd had to do far too much in her life. She nodded a little and looked around for her phone.

Rachel: Rachel managed a small grin, "Though, you may want to seek a second opinion."

Jessica: "I don't have anyone to ask...".

Rachel: "I'd recommend just about anyone that's not Lorna or Bobby."

Jessica: "I don't know anyone well enough... except Hope and she's kind of having the same problem..."

Rachel: "Well, I don't really know anyone either... Except for teachers... which I guess makes me lame," she made a face.

Jessica: "It doesn't... you have friends..."

Rachel: "A few... and whether they're crazy or not is up for debate..." She supposed her sanity could also be debatable as well.

Jessica: "But they're still friends."

Rachel: "True."

Jessica: "Must be nice..." she finally found her phone and grabbed it, getting to her feet and tucking the device into her pocket.

Rachel: "Well, yeah... Always nice to know you'd have friends that'd kill for you," she shrugged before getting up.

Jessica: "Yeah..." she ran a hand through her hair. "Danny wouldn't anymore...."

Rachel: "Then, fuck him. He wasn't actually your friend... Not that all friends would kill for you. That's kind of a bad choice of words. If they're actually your friend, they'll do everything in their power to help you."

Jessica: "He thought he was helping me... but he didn't listen to what I actually wanted..."

Rachel: "Then, you can do better."

Jessica: "I doubt it..." she sighed heavily. "I mess up. A lot."

Rachel: "If I can get a husband, so can you."

Jessica: She wrinkled her nose, "Let's not get ahead of ourselves..."

Rachel: "Well, he started out as a boyfriend... that broke up with me..."

Jessica: "I don't think that's going to happen with this one..."

Rachel: "Well, that wasn't really my point anyway," she shook her head. "The point is that I've screwed up. A lot. And I can still get a boyfriend."

Jessica: "I don't know if I want to...."

Rachel: "Then, don't. It's as easy as that."

Jessica: "I think I'll just... go and make some tea... everything always looks better after tea..."

Rachel: She made a slight face at the mention of tea but nodded.

Jessica: Jess started back towards the mansion, "Thanks for... that..."

Rachel: "I, um, yeah... No problem..." Rachel replied. She wasn't sure how helpful she'd been, but... At least the awkwardness was over!