Christmas 2007: Tom

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Christmas 2007: Tom

Post by steyn »

Out in the woods.

[Meggan] Meggan breathed deeply. Wanting to preserve the feeling of the woods around the mansion in her memory. She was going home tomorrow... well, to Venice for a week first... and today was her birthday. She smiled to herself, trailing her hands along the bark of a tree. So peaceful here...

[Tom] A bit further than anyone ventures into the woods, Tom was sitting on a chair he made. More accurate, grew. A small tree, that bent and twisted into the shape of a chair, next to it another that was grown into the shape of a small table. On the table was a thermos half filled with coffee.

[Meggan] Meggan shifted into the form of a large black cat and bounded through the undergrowth. She loved the way the leaves crunched under her feet with the slight frost and the smells of the earth. She took another deep breath and stopped. Coffee?? She followed her nose and soon found the source.

[Meggan] Instinct kicked in and she crouched low to the ground, moving with barely a sound. Wanting to see how close she could get before he noticed she was there.

[Tom] The familiar tingling feeling inside his head was there again. He heard the tree connected to eachother like a spider's web, almost whispering to eachother. And now they were whispering of something new that was coming near him. He couldn't hear anything move around him. Probably a deer, or a fox.

[Tom] No, this was larger. And different.

[Meggan] Meggan kept her ears down, her tail straight out behind her, body close to the floor. She moved around in the treeline and positioned herself behind Tom. Making her way out behind him tentatively placing one paw in front of the other. Slowly. Carefully. Silently.

[Tom] Tom stood up, looking around him. Trees can tell you when someone is around, but unfortunately their ability in measurements are lacking. Where exactly said creature is, is a problem.

[Tom] Tom moved himself against a tree, in case this creature was hungry and he needed to disappear. His back started dissolving into the tree, but stopped there. He preferred to wait for the thing to come out first.

[Meggan] Meggan sighed, stupid trees. Damn you all... she thought, she shifted into her human form, "It's ok I'm not gonna eat you - I was just playing."

[Tom] Hearing those words he gave a small sigh of relief. Small sigh. "Nice of you to me stalk me this fine early evening. What brings you out here in the woods today? Lookin' for the shortcut to grandma's house?" Tom went back to his chairtree.

[Meggan] Meggan giggled, "No, I was just walking in it for one last time before we go off on our holidays." She looked around her, taking in everything, "I'm gonna miss it out here."

[Tom] "What's to miss, you're coming back next semester. How rude of me, would you like a seat?" Tom held his hand over the ground, ready to grow another small tree. He was getting the hang of this real easily.

[Meggan] "I'm ok standing," Meggan smiled, "And I know I'm coming back. But this place feels so different to home. And I like it here, I walk out here every day so it's going to be weird..."

[Meggan] She sighed, "what about you? Are you staying here over the holidays?"

[Tom] "Hm" Tom nodded, "I'm stayin'. I'd only be workin' for my father if I went back. Come to think of it, he might not make me work. Not looking like this." Tom threw some coffee into on of the thermos's cups. "Coffee?" He lifted the cup to her.

[Meggan] Meggan shook her head, "No thanks. Not suppossed to have coffee. Does funny things to my shapeshifting..." she grinned

[Meggan] "What sort of work does your dad do?" meggan tilted her head to one side in her puppy-like way, awaiting the reply.

[Tom] After taking a sip of coffee, he put it down and laid his head back and sighed, "My father. My father is the head of Cassidy & Son shipping. In other words, we got big ships with lots o' cargo, that's it."

[Tom] "In reality it should be just Cassidy Shipping, but adding '& Son' makes it sound more friendly."

[Meggan] Meggan smiled, she sat down on the ground and turned a dry leaf over in her hands, "Don;t you miss your family? I mean... do they know what happened to you? I miss my foster parents like crazy. Especially today. And I have to wait a whole week before I can see them again."

[Tom] "Miss? Actually glad I'm away. Give me father a heartattack if he saw me like this. Don' much care how his wife would react." Tom looked down at Meggan, "What're ya doing for a week that'll keep you away from your foster parents?"

[Meggan] Meggan looked up, "I'm going to Venice with Pietro... to meet his family." she smiled slightly, "I'm a little nervous though..." she looked back down at her hands, "Worried I'll scare them with my shapeshifting. I mean... they know about it but..." she sighed,

[Meggan] "I just hope I don't embarrass myself..."

[Tom] "I'm amazed." He smiled at Meggan, "You feel the emotions of other people, right? Why would you feel embarrassed? Embarrassment only comes when you don't know how people feel about you. You got your little ticket out of embarassment right there."

[Tom] "When you start gettin' that feeling of embarrassment, just make a quick sweep of how everyone else feels, trust me, you feel much more comfortable afterwards."

[Meggan] "It's not that it's.... I dunno.... I'm clumsy... only a little bit... but it was enough to stain the art room permanently red... well more pink now... And I'm just hoping I don't do something like that while I'm over there..."

[Meggan] "I want to make a good impression...." she sighed, "I've never done this before..."

[Tom] "Don't know why you care so much about making a good impression. I thought you and Pietro are a couple, not you and his family."

[Meggan] "I'd prefer they like me though.... so they can be happy with who their son is dating. It'd just be awkward otherwise...." she frowned, "I wonder how much they know about me...."

[Tom] "Still don't understand your need for acceptance, look at my father, he basically married the first woman he lusted after my mom died, and he's happy as a school boy in a adult shop, he doesn't care what everyone else thinks, even his own family."

[Tom] Tom rested his head back again, "And I'm sure that Pietro told them enough."

[Meggan] Meggan sighed. Acceptance. That was the problem. "I just... well I'm an empath, you know. And if they don't like me I'm going to feel it, and it will effect my shapeshifting... And what's so bad about wanting to be accepted anyway?"

[Meggan] "Isn't that why we're here?... so we can feel like we belong somewhere? Somewhere safe, where we can learn hor to use our 'gifts'?"

[Tom] "Here something to remember. 'You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time.' I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said it, or it was Bob Dylan, either way, you can't have everyone like you. It's just not possible."

[Tom] "And the only reason I came here was to stop this from happenin' with me," he gestured to his face.

[Meggan] Meggan looked up at him sadly, "I'm sorry your powers made you so unhappy.... I'm a shifter, so I can look like whatever or whoever I want.... I don't know what I really look like. But I know it won't make a difference."

[Meggan] "Because my shapeshifting is so.... so... without boundaries... I could be able to please anyone. Could look like whatever they wanted. And I know if they liked it too... maybe that's why I want confirmation so bad, I dunno...."

[Tom] "Guess you won't have any troubles with Pietro's family then, just make yourself what they want you to be, just don't be yourself." Tom tipped the thermos to his cup, but it was empty. "Why couldn't my power be to make more great coffee..."

[Meggan] Meggan giggled, "I don't think Pietro would be impressed if I changed my appearance to please his family. He likes me fine how I am. Besides, it's kind of cheating...Tom... don't you get lonely out here?"

[Tom] Tom thought about that for a while, he never realised it but she made a point. He was most of his free time in the woods, alone. At first he only thought he came out here to test his new abilities, but now? It seems now he was just avoiding everyone.

[Tom] "I guess I do get the tad feeling of lonesome, but it passes. Pretty much the same at home, except there I had people who made my bed for me."

[Meggan] Meggan sighed, she just couldn't understand people that wanted to be alone so much. "I'd go mad if I didn't talk to anyone else all day," she said, "I don't like being on my own." She shivered slightly.

[Tom] Tom stood up, stretching. "Then you'll hate me now. I'm going back inside. It's getting dark and cold and I'm out of coffee." Tom picked up the flask and cup. "You staying out here?"

[Meggan] Meggan shifted back into the form of a panther, "Think I might walk around a bit more...." she stretched, "Have a nice Christmas Tom," she gently nuzzled his leg, "Take care of yourself."

[Tom] He watched her in her Panther form, "Yes, Christmas, you have a nice one too." Tom walked back to the path towards the mansion.

[Edited on 4/4/2007 by steynedvelvet]