Christmas 2008: Jackie

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

The room was rather empty. One roommate off at home for the holidays, the other celebrating with the others who had stayed. And here she was, in her room, alone. Christmas was a depressing time, moreso now than ever. It’d been magical when she was a child, waiting for Santa with her sisters, writing their letters, having their wishes answered. Well, most of them. Santa seemed to ignore some of her requests at times, which made sense. Her parents always thought she was someone different than she was.

She shook off those thoughts. It was nice, it was fun, then. She hadn’t had a good Christmas since her change. Her massive disappointment to her parents. She’d become something different, a freak. Their child couldn’t be this…and yet here she was. God forbid anyone catch wind of this, for her father’s political career would be over. So, they paid her to leave and keep her mouth shut, meanwhile making some excuse to the whereabouts of their missing child. Peace corps, id she could recall correctly.

Standing off her bed, she moved over to the computer, logging on. A grin crossed her face as she opened her email. An E-card, from her sister Nancy. She frowned at the addressing of it, but shook her head. She owed Nancy a call, she really did. It’d been so long, and it was Christmas after all. Reaching into her bag, she flipped open her phone, finding the name in her address book. She bit her lip as it rung.

“Hello?”

“Nancy, hi, it’s Jackie,” she emphasized that, tapping a nail nervously on the desk.

“Oh, Jackie!” she responded. “I haven’t heard from you in forever! Merry Christmas!!”

“You too,” she smiled. “How have you been? How’re Martha and Eleanor?”

“I’ve been ok. Senior year has been sucking a lot, but you know. Eleanor is overseas teaching English, which has Mom flipping. I think she’s in Thailand. Or Tanzania. Something with a T. Dad’s super proud though. Martha’s staying at school for the break, apparently she’s working on some thing for her medical degree and couldn’t leave. So it’s just me and them for Christmas,” she paused. “They’re upset the whole family won’t be together.”

“Well, from the last time I’d spoken to them, I don’t imagine I’d be too welcome,” Jackie replied, a bit jealous to hear about her sisters successes. They’d always make her parents proud, and one day Nancy would too. She was being courted by some upper echelon colleges already. She’d never, however. She’d always be the disappointment.

“Well….it’s not like you couldn’t come. Like, maybe if you kept all that stuff on the down low, you know? Mom and Dad’d like to see you then..” Nancy trailed off.

Jackie felt a bit of irritation. “I can’t just keep this on the down low,” she said, curtly. “This is who I am, and regardless of what they may think, how I was born. I didn’t just become this one day, it was always inside of me.”

“I know, I’m not saying your not,” Nancy backpeddled. “It’s just…you know Mom and Dad. I don’t know what else to tell you, you know?”

She sighed. “I know. And I’m sorry, I know you’re trying to help. But really…there’s not much you or I can do. I just wish they’d accept it.”

“I know…”

There was a bit of silence on the line, before Jackie spoke again. “Are they there? I wouldn’t mind saying hi.”

There was a bit of silence, then Nancy answered. “I’ll ask.” Jackie could hear her walk from the phone, and some muddled voices in the background before distinctly hearing the words “We do not wish to speak with Jackie.” in her fathers gruff voice. She swallowed hard, trying not to let it hurt her anymore. But it was hard.

“I was wrong,” Nancy lied. “They stepped out. I think Mom forgot cranberry sauce or something.”

“Oh?” Jackie decided to play along, and not push. “Oh, well, Nancy….just tell them Merry Christmas for me, ok? I should get going.”

“I will. Merry Christmas to you too, Jackie,” she replied a bit hesitantly, before Jackie heard the click of the receiver. She waited a bit, before flipping her phone closed, and wiping her eye.

Yeah. Another fucking Christmas.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Poor Jackie! :cry

The others should make sure that she's not forgotten in her room while they're out partying. Cessily will drag her out for a nice Christmas day when she returns from her family. :)
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

:(

indeed, we should drag her away from the room...someone else can do it though, she annoys Rae :P
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Awwww, poor Jackie!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Very well written. You really do feel for poor Jackie :(

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Jackie: Jackie sat on the floor, the only light in the room coming from the fireplace, and the lit tree in the corner. She silently watched the lights twinkle, taking another sip from the bottle beside her. Her room had become stifling, but was this really any better?

Jackie: Her mind wandered a bit, and she really couldn't help but think of her family. They'd gone another Christmas without her. And they didn't even entertain the idea of including her ever again. Yeah, maybe this wasn't the best place to hang out. But then, she couldn't find the energy to pick herself up.

Rogue: Rogue walked in to the ballroom and smiled at the warmth and glow from the fireplace and tree. She walked in further having seen someone on the floor out of the corner of her eye. She smiled at her as she got closer, "Hey, Jackie. How are ya, sugah?"

Jackie: "How do I look?" she deadpanned, staring at the tree. "How about yourself? How goes your Christmas break? As stimulating as mine?"

Rogue: "About tha same, Ah'd supposed." She sat next to her on the floor, leaning back on her hands, "Holidays, 'specially Christmas, aren't all that great f' me." Rogue shrugged and turned her head towards Jackie, "So what are ya doin' here? If ya wanted stimulatin' this ain't tha place ta get it on breaks. As Ah've found out."

Jackie: Jackie shrugged. "Don't have anywhere else to go really," she said. "Looks like you're in the same boat, hmm? What makes your Christmases not so great? Same as mine?"

Rogue: "Haven't really had any family ta speak of until recently. Like a month recent. An' Ah just didn't feel comfortable goin' down there 'round this time. Don't wanna put any pressure on either party." She shifted her gaze to the fire that crackled and threw a few sparks, "So, Christmas has always been hard. It's a time f' family, ya know?"

Jackie: She scoffed. "Yeah, for family. What I find funny is how when you need your family most, the send you away. They don't want you anymore," she took another swig from the bottle that was loosening her lips. "So, tell me about your family. New family?"

Rogue: She frowned and brought her attention back to Jackie, "They sent ya away? Why? What happened?"

Rogue: "An' Ah recently got in touch with an aunt of mine that Ah haven't talked ta f' 8 years. An' she got married. So now Ah have an aunt, an' an uncle Ah've nevah met."

Jackie: She ignored Rogue's first question, focusing on her. "Why had you lost touch with her? How'd she feel about hearing from you?"

Rogue: Rogue paused for a moment, wondering why she didn't answer her question, but decided not to push her. At least not yet. "Ah hadn't talked ta anybody in mah family since Ah manifested. Ah ran away... An' she was thankful ta hear from me, extremely happy ta know Ah was still alive an' ok, but pissed as all hell that Ah did that. She's been lookin' f' me since mah parents died."

Jackie: She made a face. "Your parents died? I'm sorry..."

Rogue: "It's ok... Ah was gone already... Ah figured they were since Ah nevah caught wind of 'em lookin' f' me.... Remy just found everythin' out f' me a lil while ago." She pulled her knees in to sit indian style and looked down at the bottle in Jackie's hand, "May Ah?"

Jackie: Jackie shrugged and handed it over. "Would it be sick to wish my own parents were dead? It's not that I want it...it'd just make everything make more sense. Easier in a way..." she shook her head. "Thats sick."

Rogue: Rogue took a swift drink and passed it back, "Thanks. An' no, that's not sick... Ta be honest, Ah wished it too. 'Cause since Ah didn't know f' sure, Ah didn't wanna think they were alive an' didn't give two flyin' fucks 'bout me. So part of me wished they were..." She paused for a moment, part of her wishing that she'd never thought that. "So how would it make it easier f' you?"

Jackie: She looked away. "Just make it easier than thinking they actually don't want to see me."

Rogue: "What?" Rogue couldn't help the shocked look on her face as much as she tried, "Why would they not wanna see ya? Ah thought ya said ya loved ya family..." She frowned trying to remember. That was a while back.

Jackie: She waved a hand. "They just don't. I'm different, and shameful. I'm not the child they raised anymore."

Jackie: "It doesn't matter. I'll get over it. It's just tough around the holidays."

Rogue: "Ah hear ya there, sugah. Hardest part of tha year f' me. But look at it this way." She spread her hand outward and looked around the room, "This is ya home now. Ya got a new family. Ah have ta keep tellin' mahself that."

Jackie: "I don't know how much I can consider anyone here 'family'," she said. "They all seem so caught up in their own lives. Everyone has their own happenings, and I'm just here. Here for lack of a better place to be."

Rogue: "Well Ah'm not. Ya can be caught up in tha happenin's with me if ya want." She gave Jackie a friendly smile.

Jackie: She gave Rogue a long look, before taking another swig from the bottle. "So what are your happenings?"

Rogue: Rogue thought about it for a moment then laughed a bit, "Ya know, Ah dunno right off. Just depends on tha day Ah guess. Ah hang out with just about everybody and we all do different things. What kind of stuff do ya like ta do?"

Jackie: "I do...this.." she held up the bottle. "I like fashion. I like to take care of myself. I don't know otherwise." She took another swig. "Sometimes I fantasize that all I need is a man in my life. Likely that'd just be more trouble than not."

Rogue: Rogue rolled her eyes, "Men... Not sure Ah want another one in mah life right now." She shook her head slightly to get her mind out of that thought, "So do ya like ta go out? An' Ah'm guessin' shoppin' is on ya high list?"

Jackie: Her brow lifted at that, sensing potential gossip in that statement. "Shopping can be fun, when I have the money. I make some things here and there too," she took another sip. "I've never had a man in my life. I take it they're as much trouble as I think?"

Rogue: "Really? Ya make ya own clothes an' stuff? That sounds like a lot of fun. Could ya show me, maybe?" She shrugged, "Ah probably wouldn't be tha best person ta ask 'bout that. Ah've only had 3 guys in mah life. 1st one Ah only kissed an' mah powers decided ta manifest at that moment an' he went inta a coma. 2nd cheated on me since Ah couldn't touch him... an'...3rd... he an' Ah weren't exclusive, so Ah don't know if he really counts." She frowned. S

Rogue: She knew he counted, but how much did she want to talk about that right now? Not a whole lot...

Jackie: Jackie shrugged. "So family sucks. Men suck. Don't know exactly what's left."

Rogue: "Chocolate an' alcohol is good." She grinned, "Do ya got any chocolate?"

Jackie: "No. I try not to eat too much of it," she said, looking down at the bottle. "Keep that figure, you know?"

Rogue: A sly grin grew on Rogue's face, "Honey, have ya nevah heard of sugah free? Zero's all tha way down tha nutrition label."

Jackie: Her eyebrows shot up. "You can't be serious. And it tastes good?"

Rogue: "Oh hell yeah, sugah. Just like tha real thing." She grinned, "Sugah, there's a whole world of sweets out there like that. Ice cream, chocolate, cake, pie, cookies...et cetera."

Jackie: She smirked. "You're going to have to introduce me to this world. It sounds like it's all we have left."

Rogue: Rogue laughed, "Not all we have left. We still have gossiping. Ah'm not fond of it alot of tha time, but Ah like ta indulge that part of me every so often."

Jackie: "Oh, see, now you've said the magic word. So, where's the dirt? What's been going on? I've been out of it far too long."

Rogue: "There's so much!" She thought for a moment, "Ya knew 'bout Bobby an' Lorna gettin' back tagether, 'cause he told me he told ya, but wouldn't go inta detail... Ya know 'bout Scott an' Angel seperatin'?" She decided to work her way down the time of events.

Jackie: "Scott and Angel??" she thought. "I think I recall that...that was a while ago.."

Rogue: "It was. Ah'm just tryin' ta see where ya left off hearin' 'bout stuff..." She thought again, "Well, Sean kissed Cess after she told him ta stop an' keeps hittin' on all mah friends even though he swears up an' down that he wants only me. Which, ta be honest, Ah just like him as a friend, so Ah could give a care if he hits on them, but tha whole lyin' thing... Not so much."

Jackie: "Sean, yeah, I've heard about him," she said. "Not sure about him myself. Guess I'd have to meet him, but I'm not liking how he sounds."

Rogue: Rogue shrugged, "Ah'm not so sure 'bout him at tha moment. Anyway, Remy an' TJ are back tagether... Ah'm happy f' 'em..." she looked down at her hands and back up, "An' Tessa went ta Germany with Andy. Not sure what's goin' on with them... Tessa hardly talks ta me 'bout it."

Jackie: She wasn't really familiar with any of these people past brief meetings. "Well, seems like lots of good news then..." she lifted a brow. "I thought Tessa was with that silver girl..."

Rogue: "Well... she is. An' also with Japh. But they all have an' open relationship, so it's basically free game." She shrugged, "Ah think they're all ok with it, if not just confused 'bout it. It kinda happened outta no where."

Jackie: "Huh....Andreas. He seems so stuffy. Do you think they're actually having sex or anything?" she asked, this talk alleviating her self pity a bit.

Rogue: "Oh Ah know they have at least once. Ah'm not sure 'bout any other time. But Ah was watchin' TV with Japh when Andy tried ta rub it in his face that he'd slept with one of his girlfriends. It was kinda funny really."

Rogue: "So...Aside from ya lil fling with Bobby, ya got ya eye on anybody here in school?"

Jackie: She scoffed again. "It doesn't seem like there's anyone left to have an eye on. Looks like everyone's coupling up fast."

Rogue: Rogue made a slightly disgusted sound, "Yeah, tell me 'bout it..." She took a deep breath, "There are a few single guys 'round here though... Ya just gotta know where ta look."

Jackie: She thought again about what Rogue had been telling her. "Remy...wasn't there something with you and him? Which one is TJ again?"

Rogue: "There was.... TJ is Johnny's mom. Johnny bein' Remy's son." She thought for a moment and watched Jackie's face as she tried to figure out who that was, "Tha blue girl."

Jackie: "Ohhhhh ok, yes, I remember her," she took another drink. "Yeah...the kid. Well...they're back then?"

Rogue: "Together? Yeah. They are. Remy says they both wanna give it another shot." She shrugged, "An' Ah know they should. But tha selfish part of me doesn't want 'em to.. Evah been in that kind of situation?"

Jackie: Jackie shook her head. "No. Wouldn't want to either. Why would you want to? I mean...getting involved with a guy with a kid..." she shrugged. "You'd want to take care of someone else's kid? Not me."

Rogue: She smiled, "Ah'm kinda attached ta tha Lil Sugah. But Ah knew deep down it'd nevah go very far. Ah just didn't want it ta end yet. He's tha first guy...person.. Ah could touch since Ah manifested. Ah got addicted ta his touch."

Jackie: She gave her a sad look. "Sorry. Why do you think he went back with her anyway? Because of the kid? She seems like a bit of a twit."

Rogue: "Well we all have our moments, yeah?" She laughed a bit at that, then sobered some, "He loves her. He nevah stopped lovin' her. He deserves ta be happy. But yeah, Ah mean, Ah guess tha Lil Sugah is always a part of it. He is their son after all."

Jackie: Jackie took another swig, then held the bottle out to Rogue. "Maybe it won't last."

Rogue: She graciously took the bottle and took a few long swigs then focused her attention on the bottle, "No... Ah know it will. They love each other. True love is endless, no matter what hurdles ya run inta on tha way. But it's ok 'cause Ah really am happy f' 'em. Just gets me a lil sad sometimes ta think 'bout it." She smiled up at Jackie and passed the bottle back, "Ya evah been in love? Any kind of love? Ah haven't... Not true love anyway."

Jackie: Jackie shook her head, taking another sip. "God no. One thing I know about love, the more you have of it, the more it's going to hurt you. I steer clear. Haven't met anyone worth that kind of risk yet."

Rogue: "That's a good way ta look at it. So...can Ah ask why ya parents don't want anythin' ta do with ya? Is it 'cause ya a mutant?"

Jackie: She grew a bit colder, before standing up. "You know, I think we need to make plans. We should go out. Screw men, screw family. Just have fun."

Rogue: She grinned and stood up after her, "Sounds like a great idea ta me. Where to, sugah?"

Jackie: "Isn't there some bar close to here? Vic's? Vincents? Something, I've heard people speak of it. I suggest we go out, get trashed, and possibly make out with some strangers."

Rogue: "Vito's?" She grinned, "Sounds like a marvelous plan. Lemme go up an' grab mah new jacket. Ya got a car or should Ah call a cab on mah way back down?"

Jackie: "I'll get the cab," she said, then stopped. "Hold on, there's something I've been wondering about..."

Rogue: Rogue frowned, curious, "Ok..? What's that?"

Jackie: "Your name....Rogue? Is that for real?"

Rogue: "No. But it might as well be. Why?"

Jackie: She smirked. "Just wondering. It's interesting. And possibly telling.."

Rogue: "Telling? How so?"

Jackie: She placed the bottle down, stretching. "Are you getting your jacket? There're booze and possibly men waiting for us!"

Rogue: "Oh no ya don't. They'll still be there in tha time it takes ya ta answer mah question. What's so tellin' 'bout it?"

Jackie: Jackie shrugged. "You ran away, changed your name. And you don't use your old name? Maybe your still running. Thats all."

Rogue: "Ya too damn smart f' ya own good." Rogue started to walk out of the ballroom, "Meet ya down here in 5?"

Rogue: "Although, Ah didn't change mah name. People changed it f' me."

Jackie: She furrowed her brow, but decided not to push it. Another talk for another time. "Make it 4 minutes! I want to be drunk in 5!"

Rogue: She laughed as she walked away, calling over her shoulder, "Drunk in one minute? Teach me!"

[Edited on 3/11/07 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

Vic's single :shifty

Awesome thread :D Loving Jackie.
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art