7/16 Instance: Study Session

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

7/16 Instance: Study Session

Post by Slarti »

Timelined after Bringing Ben Back and Phone Consultation

Neena: There were books everywhere. More than the public library at home. Neena sat in their midst, poring over a volume of the History of Greece. She needed something, anything, to distract herself.

Ben: Ben peeked into the historical section of the Xavier Institute Library and saw her sitting beside the window as the moon lit her face. He needed an excuse to talk to her. Grabbing three books, each on Napoleon, he walked into the section pretending to be unaware of her presence. Pretending to browse.

Neena: Out of the corner of her eye, Neena saw the very object she was trying so hard not to focus on. Come on, she was just starting to get engrossed with the Parthenon. She sighed a little, admiring the way he moved. Neena wanted to say something, anything, but didn't know what.

Ben: He picked out some titles that seemed mildly interesting, but historical fiction, even historical non-fiction, was not his favorite. As he continued to browse he thought, why doesn't she just say hi?. Replying to himself he said back in his head why don't you?.

Ben: Turning around he saw her. "Oh, hey Neena!" he said, fumbling the large pile of books he had on Alexander, Napoleon, and Benjamin Franklin. "What're you doing here?"

Neena: She rolled her eyes. Smooth, Ben, real smooth. "It's called reading," she held up the volume. "Ancient Greek history. Very interesting stuff." Wow, could I have sounded meaner?

Neena: "What are you up to here? Brushing up on your Napoleonic history?" she asked, in a gentler tone.

Ben: Ben laughed dropping the books with a thud. "Actually, the most interesting one in there is the one on Franklin. Just cuz of the French hussies he supposedly had." Ben smiled and sat down next to her. "Honestly? I came here to see you. I'm just pathetic at acting."

Neena: Neena smiled back despite herself. "I'm flattered. But Franklin? I can think of way more interesting figures than him. He was brilliant to be sure, but a bit of a hypocrite."

Ben: "Actually, if I had found one in there I hadn't read of Lincoln I would've pulled that. In American History he's my fave." He smiled genuinely to her and instantly felt comfortable again. "So... about the other day, with the kissing. You're okay with that?"

Neena: "Tell you the truth, I'm glad you brought it up," Neena took a breath. "I spent a while thinking about it. I mean, I'm fine with it, I just- you gotta understand, it's been a while since I was on the market. I don't really know- how it works, I guess?" She looked at the book in her lap, embarassed beyond belief.

Ben: Ben flashed one of his usual grins to her and stood up. Walking over to a book he frequently came back to here, he pulled it out and flipped open to a specific page.

Ben: "You ever read Mark Twain?" Ben asked. "Or his notebook to be specific? It's got some great stuff... and a lot of my inspiration to being a better person frequently comes from him."

Ben: He sat down beside her and held the book open. "I wouldn't mind helping you remember how it works if you don't mind..." he said, keeping the book open.

Neena: Her eyes widened. Was he propositioning her? Did he want to kiss her again? Why the hell was she having such a hard time with this? It's not like she'd never had a boyfriend before...But it was so different. Milo was mine before I even knew it. He asked me straight out. There was no guessing with him. "Uh," she gulped.

Neena: "What do you have in mind?" D'oh! What the hell??

Ben: "Well," Ben said. "Mark Twain said once: 'You can't reason with your heart; it has its own laws, and thumps about things which the intellect scorns.'". He looked into her eyes which were illuminated by the moonlight. "I can't reason what I want, I was with Nate, I went to Japan, I came back, and I met you and that was that."

Neena: "I'm familiar with Twain," Neena bit her lip, feeling even more embarassed. "But what does that mean for us? You tickled the hell out of me, kissed me, and now? I mean, you haven't even asked me out or anything. Do people not do that anymore?" She knew she sounded like an idiot, but it had been almost four years. She genuinely wanted to know. And she was desperately hoping that their kiss meant something, that it wasn't just a fluke.

Ben: Ben nodded and paused. Holding up his finger he said "Just one sec." He ran around a row of books and picked his new eukelelei out of his satchel.

Ben: Coming back around he prayed inside that it was as late as he felt it was and no one would notice. Clearing his throat, he played a few notes and began to sing and play along.

Ben: "Crazy, how it, feels tonight. Crazy how you, make it all alright, girl. You crush me, with those things you do. And I'll do for you anything too, or sitting, smoking, feeling high. Yeah, and in this moment, oh it feels so right..."

Neena: Omigod,omigod, is he SINGING? Neena sat very still, hardly beleiving what she was seeing and hearing. Serenading! He was serenading her! I guess this clarifies some things she thought with a smile as she scooted closer and laid her head on Ben's shoulder.

Neena: "Its crazy, Im thinking, just knowing that the world is round. I'm here, I'm dancing on the ground, am I right side up or upside down, and is this real, am I dreaming?" she mouthed the words along softly.

Ben: "Lovely lady, let me drink you please, won't spill a drop no I promise you. Lying under this, spell your cast on me, with each moment the more I want you. Come on, you know you crush me, baby..." He continued to pluck at the strings and swayed with the rhythm. "So...was that official enough or do I have to ask?" He joked curiously.

Neena: Neena laughed and hid her face in Ben's shoulder. "I think I get the picture," she replied, kissing his shoulder. Feeling immensely better, her tone turned playful. "So, you're a poet and a musician. I'm a lucky girl."

Ben: "Well, you do have that ability. Guys like me don't fall out of the air for just anyone." He said smiling. Suddenly he changed the rhythm of his playing and the chords as well. "Hani, Hani, come and daaance with me! Hani, Hani, come and daaance with me! oh, pick me up love, from the bottom oh and up to the top love, everyday!"

Neena: Neena laughed. "You're something else," she leaned in to kiss his cheek. "Do you know that?"

Ben: Ben kissed the top of her head. "I'll pretend I didn't." He grinned to her and sat back in the chair, putting his eukelelei back in his bag. "I wonder what your roomie is going to think of this. If she... or Rachel, give you any troubles, let me know. Rae's protective, Rogue's... Rogue." He put his arm around her and pulled her in close.

Neena: Neena bit her lip again as she snuggled in with him. Rogue still didn't know about their kiss. "Rae seems ok with it. I'm actually a little nervous about telling Rogue." she looked up at him. He was very easy on the eyes. "She's gotten to be a good friend, and I don't want her to stay mad at you, either."

Ben: Ben frowned. "When Rogue's angry at someone, it takes a lot to get back on her good side. Mostly because it takes a lot to get on her bad side." Switching back to happy he looked her in the eyes. "A wild impulse just struck me and it's screaming 'Ben kiss her!', like the hermit crab from Little Mermaid or something."

Neena: She laughed out loud at that one. It felt so good, this happiness. Dr. Singer was right- it had been too long. Neena winked boldy at him. "Well, what are you waiting for then?" she asked archly. "I'm right here."

Neena: She didn't wait for him to react, however, and pulled him in by the ears. It felt as wonderous as the last time. Her heart was a flurry in her chest, and the backs of her knees quaked.

Ben: Ben found himself pleasantly surprised as her lips pressed against his. Growling a little as he opened his mouth and closed his eyes his stomach wrapped up in itself and his hands ran through her hair.

Neena: It lasted forever, yet not nearly enough. Neena loved feeling his hands in her hair. It was something so new and different. Where was she again? "Wow," she murmured, coming up for air. "You know what you're doing!"

Ben: "Strange, that's the only thing I can do right then." He winked at her and stood up, offering his hand to help her stand as well. "Let's continue our reading by the fire downstairs. I'll make some cider."