09/11 Instance: Fair and Balanced Coverage

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

April 6th

Elizabeth: Lizzie tugged her coat off as she dashed into the classroom, heading for the nearest empty seat. Thankfully it looked like nothing had happened yet, as Bish was still plugging the tv in. The room seemed surprisingly empty considering...Nervously, she checked her phone, switching it to silent.

Remy: Remy cradled Johnny up high on one shoulder and onto his lap, Johnny limp and warm in that boneless way that babies have. He didn't want to watch this down at the house, and he felt like this was a turning point for him and his son. So here they were. "Hey Liz."

Jason: "Come to watch the inevitable as well?" Jason glanced back as Lizzie came in, leaning further back in his seat and drumming his fingers on the desk in front of him anxiously.

Cessily: Cessily hurried into the classroom and looked between the others. "Oh, good, they didn't start with giving out the results yes, right?" She headed over to a free chair, turned it around so that the back of it was in front of her, and sat down. "Hey everyone, by the way," she added with a nervous smile.

Elizabeth: "Hey," she gave Remy a grin, reaching over to gently stroke Johnny's head. "You could say that. Didn't feel like staying on at the office to watch."

Bishop: Watching the students settling down a little grimly, Lucas finished setting up the tv set and headed to the back of the room to keep an eye on them all.

Bishop: "Guys sitting comfortably?" he gave a sort of grin, switching on the set with the remote.

Remy: "As much as it can be. Dese things aren't really lazy boys, y' know?" He shifted Johnny again, slumping a bit more in the chair.

Jason: "Just dandy." Jason gave Cessily a brief nod as she took her seat. "We'll see soon enough. It's not like they dont' take the chance to draw out news like this for the entire day."

Cessily: "More or less," Cessily replied, pulling up her legs to sit cross-legged, and leaned forward against the back of the chair. "As comfortable as one can get today." She nibbled on her lower lip, barely able to contain her excitement.

Remy: "What I don' get is dem marches dat were on earlier in d' news...alabama or somethin'. With all dat 'mutants go home' shit. Where do dey think we are?"

Cessily: "So, what are everyone's predictions," Cessily asked the others, looking around. "Does anyone think that we might actually have a chance?"

Elizabeth: Stretching, something popped in her back. Lizzie made a face at that, making one even more at Cess. "Oh, lets see. How about the obvious? Of course we don't."

Cessily: Cessily's expression turned grim as she looked back at Remy. "Yeah, I've seen that on the tv in the rec room." She shook her head and sighed. "Really, I think it's much better if we don't watch too much news today. It only gets more and more depressing."

Remy: "Oui, but y' know dat dey pick d' worst stuff an' toss it forward. It's what d' news does. Don' get too worried about it."

Bishop: "Might get depressin' but least we knows how it all stands. Better to be informed..." Lucas folded his arms and took a seat on the desk he was leaning on."

Cessily: "I wonder how my family is feeling right now," Cessily asked no one in particular, her hand moving up the pocket in her jacket, feeling the cellphone inside. She had thought about calling them after the results were shown.

Jason: "We're really quite doomed." Jason had to snort at the mutants go home comment. "I wouldn't put it past them to believe that we did have a separate home. Not the brightest of people a lot of the time involved in such things."

Remy: "Well it is Alabama too..." He gave Jason a grin. "So..."

Elizabeth: "Maybe they think there's a 'Mutant Island' somewhere..."

Cessily: "Yeah, I know," she replied to Jason. "And yet these are the people who decide on our fate. Lovely, isn't it." Cessily wished that she could have been optimistic about the vote, especially seeing how much work they had put into raising acceptance of mutants during the past weeks.

Remy: "Hmm. I could go for dat. Maybe d' keys. Or in d' bahamas somewhere. I think my version is runnin' a little more along d' lines of fruity drinks t' hand an' a nice cabana t' curl up at night."

Jason: Jason grinned back. "Possible they have more teeth than braincells. Wouldn't say no to a Mutant Island though but considering the nation's history of reservations I doubt we'd get a good one."

Elizabeth: "We should put our money together and buy one. Or wheedle one out of Chu - Xavier..."

Bishop: "Since when was any of y'alls mutant power to listen through talkin'?" he shook his head. "Or should I just bring up subtitles?"

Remy: "Move d' school down south? I'm all in favor of dat." The doom of the news receeded a bit. "I've been tellin' y'all dere is no sense in freezin' y're ass off up here."

Cessily: "Hey, sounds like a sweet idea, actually." Cessily chuckled. "Well, maybe we're in for a positive surprise today. Who knows? Perhaps there's a majority of reasonable people who have been silent until now. After all, reasonable people are boring to the media, so they could still be out there." She smiled nervously.

Jason: "And perhaps you should check your favourite drinks for trace amounts of cocaine."

Remy: He snorted but also threw Jason a look. "Ahh, be nice t' d' lady now."

Elizabeth: Trying not to laugh, she gave Jason a half hearted kick under the desk.

Cessily: "Hey, I'm just trying to keep a trace of optimism here. I don't want all our work to have been in vain. We handed out so many cookies. That has to have had an effect on some people."

Jason: "Just trying to clear away false hopes." Jason raised his hands innocently and turned to pay more attention to the television, scooting away from Lizzie a bit to avoid being kicked. "Perhaps we should have put the cocaine in the cookies."

Elizabeth: "Or rohypnol."

Cessily: She frowned as she realized how that had sounded. "Uhm, not that we put anything into that cookies, of course."

Remy: He did laugh outright at that. "Nah, y' got it all wrong. Pot. Den dey stay at home an' we all get t' vote, oui?"

Jason: "Why are we only thinking of this now?"

Elizabeth: "Same with rohypnol. But then they won't remember the cookie so we're saved."

Cessily: Cessily had to chuckle at the thought and glanced back at the tv. They were still busy with interviewing some politicians.

Jason: "In any case I'm fairly certain cookies have yet to have an impact on a vote above high school class presidents."

Bishop: "For all you're supposedly interested, I see no attention going on the screen," Lucas raised his voice a little as a particularly smug little man was zoomed in on.

Jason: "I don't like it when politicians look happy." Jason narrowed his eyes at the man on the screen, waiting.

Elizabeth: "Neither do I..." Lizzie shifted a little, getting her phone out, holding on to it tightly. She looked down at it, the back at the screen.

Cessily: "Yeah, they look like they just pulled off a mean little prank without having been caught." Cessily fidgeted with her hair.

Remy: Johnny shifted in his sleep, picking his head up for a second and so he patted him again, soothing him so that he settled down, drooling contentedly on his shirt.

Jason: "They have, only it's not so little."

Bishop: The announcer made a point of thanking people for tuning in. Lucas turned up the volume a touch so they could get the facts soon to follow. He had a bad feeling about this.

Cessily: Cessily turned to look at Remy and Johnny, smiling at them. As the volume was turned up, she locked back at the screen, anxiously tensing up. "Hey, looks like they're about to give out some numbers finally."

Remy: He gave a serious sigh, settling down with a faint smile to Cessily. "It'll be alright petite. No matter what happens."

Elizabeth: "I'm happy as long as I don't get deported..." Lizzie muttered grimly.

Summers: Scott ducked into the classroom, racquet over his shoulder. "Did I miss anything? I lost track of time." He slid into an empty seat.

Bishop: Rolling his eyes, Lucas shook his head at Scott and gestured for him to settle down quick.

Cessily: Cessily returned the smile for a moment. She wanted to tell Remy that it wasn't herself who she was worried about the most. But Remy had certainly thought about this a lot already.

Remy: "It's jus' about we figured. So y' made it in d' nick of time." He raised a brow at his cousin. "Y're lookin' all white bread."

Cessily: "Hey, Scott!" Cessily waved at him. "You're just in time."

Summers: "Oh good. Now's when we find out whether or not we're screwed."

Jason: "Well, I suppose if they try to deport ou you do have a defence against that." Jason looked away from the television to comment. "Well, I'm fairly certain we just need to figure out how badly we're screwed."

Bishop: Blocking out the nervous chatter, the results finally got displayed. Lucas winced. "37 states for, 13 against..."

Remy: He let the news sink in for a moment, hand on his son's head. No way they'd be able to skip registering, now that it was required.

Summers: ". . .fuck."

Jason: Jason let out a sigh at the results. "Well, thirteen states surprised me."

Elizabeth: Lizzie shook a little as she watched the results scroll across the bottom of the screen. This was bad. This was so, so bad. "Yeah. It's suprisingly high."

Cessily: Cessily motionlessly stared ahead at the tv screen, not saying anything at first. She had to let that sink in for a moment. Not that she hadn't expected something like that happening. Still, there had been a little bit of hope left somewhere inside her that was now crushed. She gazed down at her hands and chewed on her lower lip.

Remy: "An' New York is one of dem. So we should be glad of dat, non?" He noticed Cessily's sudden pained look and reached forward to lay a hand on her. "It's alright. We'll see it through."

Cessily: Cessily turned her head as she felt Remy's hand on her shoulder, forcing herself to give him an awkward little smile. "Hey, maybe our cookies did some good, after all."

Jason: Jason couldn't stop his eyes from rolling but did swallow his comments for the moment at least.

Remy: "Oui. Y' did good, petite. An' don' get too down over dis. It won' be easy...but dis doesn' mean dat we jus' got delivered into hell either."

Summers: "Well, at least there were some forward-thinking states." He gave Johnny a grin and let him play with his racquet. He arched an eyebrow at Remy. "Hell comes in a lot of different flavours."

Cessily: "I know," Cessily replied with a small nod. "It's just that I don't want all our work to have been in vain."

Elizabeth: Yeah. Sure the cookies saved the vote...Lizzie stared at her phone hard. God this was messed up. Even with getting rid of the corrupt members of the Circle that had been funding this bullshit...

Remy: "I think if y' even changed one mind, y' did y're job." He blankly watched the speeches afterward about how this was all a good thing.

Jason: "Great, now I'm imagining thirty-one flavours of hell." Jason tilted his head to the side while he watched the recaps.

Summers: "Yeah, but obviously, it wasn't the one mind we needed." He crossed his arms, ticking off his families names and all the tests he'd done on them - they were safe.

Elizabeth: "Don't you mean thirty seven?"

Cessily: "There's some truth to that," Cessily agreed. "Sadly, this doesn't really matter if you're on the losing side of a majority vote."

Remy: "I call d' rocky road." He shot his hand up, trying to regain some semblance of the joking they had before.

Jason: "Thirty-seven? Is Baskin Robbins holding out on us?"

Elizabeth: "Thirty seven states. I'm sure we can come up with six flavours to fill in."

Bishop: "Sure that can be cooked up sometime..."

Remy: "Hmm. Well. Dat's dat. Now what?" He looked around at the small group. "Y'all gonna register or not?"

Summers: He watched the men and women on the screen, congratulating one another, and wondered how'd they feel if the roles were reversed. On balance, he was sure at least one of them had to be at least a carrier. He tuned into the conversation as Remy spoke.

Elizabeth: Lizzie sighed. "God I don't know...I register, I'm known and I'll lose all my contracts, my pilots lisence probably, my mother will want me killed...I don't register and they find me, I'll get deported. It's a great choice."

Cessily: "Well, I guess I don't have much of a choice," Cessily replied with lopsided smile. "It's not that I could even try to hide the fact that I'm a mutant. Besides, all of my hometown knows about me, so there's really no other option for me."

Jason: "If I can avoid it I certainly have no intentions to. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see."

Cessily: Cessily pulled out her phone and toyed around with it. "I'll probably have to call my family and discuss all of that with them. That's going to get fun."

Bishop: Lucas listened with interest as the talk turned to actually registering. Maybe he should talk to Chuck a little about the reactions of the students and all the issues...

Summers: "Me either. It's ridiculous and I didn't vote for it. Why should I have to do something that could hurt me or my family?"

Cessily: "Did they already say what will happen to those who don't register," Cessily asked, glancing back at the screen. "I mean, those of us who they can't simply throw out of the country."

Remy: "Oui. Well, I have t' register or disappear, non? D' people at home know me, know my family an' know we're mutants. Ain't like I can keep doin' d' work I am an' not register."

Summers: He shrugged. "I don't think so - but it can only get worse." He gave Remy a small smile.

Elizabeth: Her control waning, Lizzie quickly typed out a text, sending it before she changed her mind. She just hoped Shaw wouldn't think she was being clingy. "Well there were those outlines at that rally back in February."

Cessily: "Yeah, that's understandable." Cessily nodded, a weak smile on her lips. She reached out to gently stroke through Johnny's hair, careful to not disturb him. "Besides, it's not as if you could hide him forever. He deserves a normal childhood."

Remy: "Yeah. An' dere's no children for him either. He needs dat." His lips firmed again as he remembered Rahne and the fact that it wasn't well known. Who knew where that child would end up though.

Jason: Jason arched an eyebrow at Lizzie as she dialed out a message, looking a bit conflicted as she did so. "And judging by the outlines and knowing that it was probably sugarcoated nothing good will come out of it."

Elizabeth: "Of course not..." she nervously twirled the phone between her fingers. "It's just how soon that no good'll come..."

Summers: "Of course nothing good will come. It's like the Nazi's forcing the undesirables to conform to certain rules and restrictions, that got worse and worse over time. I'm willing to bet all my money that this is just a very small start with big plans in the wings, waiting to show up on cue."

Cessily: Cessily gave Scott a look, then nodded slightly. "That's what worries me the most. Now they made the beginning of treating us differently than everyone else. Each further step to isolate us even more is going to be that much easier now."

Jason: "Well, as long as we're all on the same page..." Jason watched the twirling phone curiously.

Remy: "Dere's no sense in worryin' about it now. Y' look too far ahead in fear, y're gonna miss d' good stuff between it all." He shifted his son again and stool. "I gotta get my son t' bed. An' we're gonna get up tomorrow like nothin' happened an' play wit' his cars an' stuff. It's all y' can do in life."

Elizabeth: Looking up, she gave Remy a slight smile. "Have a good evening," she waved a touch as he walked out of the door.

Cessily: "See you, Remy." Cessily gave him a smile and a wave of her hand. "And take care, you two." She turned back, again fidgeting with her phone.

Summers: He rolled his eyes at Remy. You could never worry too much. "See you, Remy."

Jason: Jason half waved. "Never been much of a stop and smell the roses kind of person but enjoy."

Bishop: "Y'just gotta make the best of things. Anyone watchin' the rest of this?" he asked, waving the remote a little.

Cessily: Cessily tapped her hand against her phone and looked between the others. "I guess I'll keep on watching for a bit," she replied. "Maybe they'll interview some critics of this law later, and I'd like to see that."

Summers: "Me too."

Jason: "They'll just be lambasted if there actually were interviews." Jason still watched though.

Elizabeth: Lizzie's phone went off with a loud blast of music and she quickly flipped it open, reading the message. "I might for a little bit longer...Going somewhere in a bit."

Elizabeth: "And critics of the law? More like the supporters."

Jason: Jason glanced back as the phone went off and arched an eyebrow. "Being called away?"

Elizabeth: "Invited, more like," she smirked at Jason. "It's more polite."

Jason: "Ah, sorry, I think we've established that politeness is ever so slightly foreign to me."

Elizabeth: "Yes. Did you ever get that smoothie out of your nose?"

Jason: "I managed somehow, yes."

Bishop: "If you've been wrecking my kitchen girl, you better hope they deport you!"

Cessily: Cessily chuckled and momentarily looked away from the tv screen. They were just interviewing the politicians in support of the law for the moment. "Do you think we should go and tell the others of this," she asked, looking around. "I'm sure some of them would like to know. Not that this won't be repeated up and down in the news all day, but still."

Jason: "I imagine the bad news will spread faster than we can tell it." Jason shrugged but decided he could definitely do with something other than watching.

Summers: He watched the bastards on the TV for a few minutes before pushing the chair back. "I've had enough of this bullshit. I think I'm gonna call my parents before they overload my cell."

Elizabeth: "Most people'll know by now anyway, you'd think. Bad news and such. Worried parents ringing up..."

Cessily: "Yeah. I wonder when mine will call." Cessily glanced down at her cell phone.

Elizabeth: "Mine won't. My brother will when he catches CNN, I expect."

Jason: Jason made a face as he imagined his parents calling up. "Well, hope to avoid that at least."

Jason: Jason made a face as he imagined his parents calling up. "Well, hope to avoid that at least."

Bishop: Heading to the front of the classroom, Lucas left the remote near the tv. "You guys just shut the set off when you're done. Gotta staff meeting to be heading to."

Jason: Jason eyed the remote as Bishop left. "Am I right in assuming everyone else is quite tired of this?"

Summers: "Yeah."

Elizabeth: "I have to leave anyway," she got to her feet, grabbing her coat. "Need to head into the city."

Cessily: "Well, yeah," Cessily agreed. "I had hoped for a more balanced coverage." She sighed. "And no matter how long we're going to stare at this screen, the result won't change." She turned to wave at Lizzie. "Okay, see you later."

Jason: "Enjoy." Jason got up and turned the television off. "Balanced? I'm not sure you even get balanced television coverage from cooking shows, let alone the news."

Summers: He stood and picked up his racquet. "I should go, too. They'll be anxious to hear from me."

Cessily: "I should call my family, as well." Cessily stood up from her chair. "They'll probably want to know what I'm going to do now, and have tons of more or less good advice for me."

Elizabeth: "I should call mine but I'm not going to," fastening her coat up, she stuck her phone in her pocket. "I'll see you all tomorrow maybe."

Jason: Jason found himself incredibly tempted to make the phone ring but started out. "Good luck with that then."
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I think the MRA would have gone better if it were pitched like an organ donor's card. Register yourself if you want to help your fellow man. The government needs you!
Love das flockige
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Love das flockige »

:rainy

It was inevitable. But very well handled! Great instance everyone!
Support Love's business, visit Kinosei: Plushies by MG

http://plushiesbymg.wordpress.com