3/25 Instance: Out of the Closet

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

3/25 Instance: Out of the Closet

Post by Slarti »

Timelined immediately after Friend of Humanity.

Miranda: Selene! Miranda wasn't sure if thinking really loud really did work or not, but she didn't have any other option. She climbed out of her small car and dropped her keys, cursing under her breath. Finding them after a moment, she nearly turned her ankle on the steps and kicked off her heels.

Miranda: She picked them up and hooked the straps over her wrist, grabbing the ornate knob to knock on the front door. Miranda skipped back a couple steps when it swung open at her touch. "Omigod!"

Remy: Remy was heading down the stairs, books in hand when he saw a very disheveled girl shove the door open and then stare as if it had bitten her. It took a second for him to realize he knew her and he hustled down the rest of them. "Miri?" She didn't look herself, eyes slightly smudged with black from running mascara. "Are y' ok?"

Miranda: Miranda looked up at him for a moment. "Oh! Remy!" She gestured at the door, her shoes flapping against her arms. "It was open. It's not like I was trying to break in or ... you guys have telepaths -- like Selene! -- so you'd know." She bit her lip, hard. "I was looking for Selene."

Remy: "It's alright. Y're welcome here." He took her elbow and helped her inside. "I dunno where Selene is at d' moment though. She's kinda got a timetable of her own. Y' wanna have a drink of water or somethin'? Anythin' I can help y' wit'?"

Miranda: 'Why didn't she just make me forget that I caught you?' Miranda wiped at her eyes again. "Thank you." She looked up at Remy and then around at the foyer. Maybe seeing Selene first off wasn't so great after all? "Um. Yeah! Water would be good. Please?" Miranda let him lead her down the hall, her bare feet making a strange sound on the tile.

Remy: "Sure..." He guided her down the hallway and sat her down at the island on a stool before going and getting her a bottle from the fridge, sliding it over. "So...what brings y' here? Or is it more private an' dis cajun should be keepin' his nose outta it?" He gave her an easy grin.

Miranda: She dropped her shoes to the floor and took the bottle. Miranda deliberately unscrewed the cap, taking a sip before sitting it back down. "Oh, no. It's fine." She rotated the bottle on the counter, then looked up at him and wiped at her eyes again.

Miranda: "I, uh..." What could she say? "Your dean. The Xavier guy? He helps mutants, right?" Brilliant Miri. "Any mutants?"

Remy: "Yeah chere." He leaned against the counter, giving her a reassuring nod of the head. "Why? Your group find some that needs help?"

Miranda: "I guess you could say that." She felt tears welling up again, remembering the stares from the university. Was this what they felt every day? "Um... it kind of turns out I'm a mutant."

Remy: "Oh?" That was somewhat surprising. With her being so pro-mutant he thought she would have just come out about it before now. Seeing the tears on the lower lashes just confused him more. "It's alright, petite. Of course y're welcome." He put a hand on her shoulder and gave a small squeeze. "I jus' didn't know - or we'd have offered before now, y' know? But y' seemed happy at y're school too. So it's up t' y', really."

Miranda: A sob escaped at the touch, but she sniffed loudly and wiped at her eyes, smearing her mascara further. "Thanks..." The black smears on her fingers made her frown and she tried to wipe beneath her eyes again. She was sure she just looked great, flushed and teary.

Miranda: "I didn't know. I just found out before Christmas. I donated blood, a-and I got a letter." She sniffed again, the words just pouring out now. "A letter! They rejected my blood and told me I was a mutant and I needed to register. But they just did it in a letter! You'd think... fuck, I'm not even worth calling?"

Remy: "Merde." His face scrunched up a little in sheer confusion and he turned to find the tissues, letting it settle back into smooth lines. Finally finding them he decided for the whole box and brought it back to her. "Dis may sound like a really dumb question, but I gotta know...how did y' not know y' were a mutant?"

Miranda: Miranda mumbled a thanks and took several tissues. After taking a sip from her water bottle she decided it was helpful for other things too and wet one down to wipe her eyes clean.

Miranda: Finally she looked up at Remy and shrugged. "I don't know. I mean... I still don't feel any different for knowing. Except, for like, scared and guilty..." She looked around the kitchen before she continued. "I don't do anything."

Remy: That had him tipping his head. "Well dat's kinda d' definition of mutant - y' gotta be able t' do somethin'...or look weird." A small smile cracked his face again. "And cherie, y' don' look weird."

Miranda: She smiled a little at that and shook her head, tucking her hair behind her ears. "I don't though. I've tried to do something weird -- anything weird. Aside from rolling my tongue I don't seem to have any special talents."

Remy: He bit his tongue to keep from making comments on her tongue thing. "Yeah, well, maybe y' jus' haven't figured it out yet. Or haven't had it triggered. Most d' people aroun' here seem t' have had it come out when dey were stressed out." And wouldn't it be ironic if hers came out from being stressed at finding out she was a mutant? "We got a doctor here dat can help y' wit' all dat."

Miranda: Miranda gave a panicky little laugh and scratched compulsively at her neck at his stressed out comment. "I would think I would have blown up half the school like that Alex kid by now if it was triggered by stress."

Miranda: Right, the doctor. "Do you think he could test me again? I suppose the test could have been wrong, a-and I could tell Graydon that it was all a mistake but he was still a fucking asshole king." That would be rather satisfying.

Remy: Giving a more appreciative laugh than she had he nodded "Yeah, it may have been. I mean labs screw up don' dey?" How she mentioned Graydon raised a bit of concern in him. "Y're boyfriend? Dis is why y' had t' come here?"

Miranda: "Oh, he's so not my boyfriend anymore." She took another sip of water, telling herself to calm down. "He hasn't been for, like, a while. I hadn't even seen him for weeks, until today. Then he thought it'd be a fucking great idea to announce I was a mutant in front of a room full of people."

Remy: His eyebrows went up. "But dat ain't a bad thing is it?" Realizing he wasn't particularly clear there he continued. "T' be a mutant I mean..."

Miranda: Her eyes went wide. "Nonono, that's not what I meant." Then she thought about it. "Well. It depends what you mean by bad."

Miranda: "...the way everybody was staring at me after he said it made it feel bad."

Remy: "Ahh." He nodded. "Yeah, dat's a bitch alright. People think y' got cooties. So basically what y're sayin' is he outted y' in public."

Miranda: "And said I'd been fucking with his head... which, like, hello?! I so can't do!" She made an irritated noise. "He was acting crazy. He's not coming to any of the FoH stuff anymore. Said he's not so sure about it anymore and like that was all my fault!"

Remy: "Wait. Wasn't he d' one dat founded dat club?" He took her hand before she could get really worked up and stilled it, giving her a smile. "Miri, y' know dat's bullshit right? Only he can decide what he wants t' do or not."

Miranda: "Yeah... we all got into it because he thought it was cool." Miranda's eyes fixed on their hands. "Yeah. I suppose." She bit her lip and looked back up at him. "Do you think anybody would mind if I just... sort of stayed here for a while? Until I can see your doctor anyway?"

Remy: "Hell, no. Dere's plenty of room. Y' can stay in a guest room till things get sorted" He nodded his head in the vague direction. "Did y' bring anythin'? Can find y' stuff t' use if not."

Miranda: "Thank you." She sniffed, twisting her hand to give his a squeeze. "No... I just kind of came here. I wanted to get away. I needed to talk to somebody, and I hoped Selene would be..." She sighed. "But thanks. It's good to finally tell somebody."

Remy: "Hey, well, welcome t' d' club I suppose." He chuckled again. "Y' wanna go pick out y're room? I can bring up some clothes for y' too - Rahne left some when she moved out dat are practically new. Dat way y' can at least have somethin' t' sleep in an' wear tomorrow. Or I can drive y' back t' get y're stuff. Or Selene could. Jus' a matter of findin' dat girl. She don' run in usual circles y' could say."

Miranda: “I think for now... I'm not ready to try to go back.” Graydon still had a key to her room, after all, and she was tired. Suddenly very tired. Miranda slid off the stool and gathered her shoes while Remy threw away her trash. She let him lead the way into the quiet mansion.

[Edited on 25-3-2009 by Slarti]