4/23 Instance: Atomic Reversal

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Timeline after Containing the Situation

rachel: Rachel took a deep breath as she shouldered the door to the medlab open, a container of icecream in one hand and spoons in the other. She hadn't been able to get the exact flavor Mara wanted, but she figured it'd work. Rachel made her way over to Mara's room and knocked on the door, shifting uncomfortably as she waited for an answer.

rachel: She couldn't wait for this visit to be over already, which didn't really have much to do with Mara as it did with the cold, sterile medical things.

Amara: Amara looked up, "Hello?" She closed her laptop and put it to one side and smiled as Rachel opened the door, "Hey!" She patted the bed, "Is that icecream I spy?"

rachel: "Hey," she tried a grin that hopefully didn't look too forced and handed the icecream over as she took a seat, "Yep. Not exactly the flavor you wanted, but it has chocolate chips in it."

Amara: "Mmm chocolate." She opened the tub and took one of the spoons, tucking in, "God you have no idea how much I need this." She closed her eyes, "And the company isn't bad either." She winked.

rachel: "Well, I'd hope I'm not bad company. Wouldn't be surprised if I was though," she shrugged, snagging a spoonful for herself.

Amara: Amara smiled and had another spoonful, "No company is bad company right now. But I could think of worse than you." She glanced at her laptop, "And actually you might be able to help me with something..."

rachel: Rachel absently picked at some loose threads, pulling the spoon out of her mouth to speak, "Help you with something? I already smuggled you icecream..."

Amara: "You did, and I'm grateful." Amara nodded, "But this other thing is something that only you can do..." She chewed her lip. "It involves Raya..."

rachel: Her eyebrow raised, "What is it?"

Amara: "I was thinking... about your mutation... and how you can move stuff... like when you made my things disappear..." She frowned, "I was wondering how that worked and if you could some how use that to help Raya? Anything I can do to help, I will... but I don't know what I can do at the moment...."

rachel: "Oh... when I messed with the atoms that made up your arm..." That wasn't really a time she wanted to remember, but it was better than what the medlab reminded her of. "Um, I dunno. Maybe?"

Amara: "Can we try it?" Amara asked carefully, poking the icecream with her spoon, "I really want... no, need to fix this."

rachel: "Depends. What exactly do I have to do?" Rachel didn't really want to make the situation worse...

Amara: "Well you can move atoms, right...? So I thought you could just.... move them apart... turn her back into sand?" She wasn't sure how it worked really but she hoped it was that simple.

rachel: She gave a shrug, "Yeah, I guess I could try. Not sure how I'd get sand from glass though..."

Amara: "It's basically the same stuff... just glass has sodium in in... or something..." she picked up her laptop again and opened it, "See?" she turned it around to show Rachel the pages she'd been looking at all day.

rachel: Rachel shifted to get a good glance at the screen, quickly scanning the contents, "I see. Um, guess it wouldn't hurt to try. If I can't do it, I can always put everything back." She hoped.

Amara: Amara nodded, "Yeah...." She put her laptop aside again and stood up, putting the lid back on the icecream tub, "So... wanna try it?"

rachel: "Yeah, sure..." she agreed, eyeing the tub. "That's probably gonna melt if you just leave it."

Amara: Amara looked at it too, "Yeah... but I don't know what else to do with it... if this works I'll feel like celebrating and I'll eat it all anyway... and if it doesn't work I'll want comfort food... it won't be sat there for long."

rachel: "Yeah. Well, lead the way..." Rachel got up and nodded toward the door.

Amara: Amara took a steadying breath then led Rachel to Raya's cubicle. "She's in here," She pulled back the curtain, glad to see that the blanket was still on her to give her some modesty, "Hi Raya... I brought a visitor....."

Raya: Mara...and Rae! Oh thank God. Please turn me back! She was so ready to be human again, really. Like...now. Really.

rachel: She studied the glass figure that was her former roomie, chewing on her lip as she felt out the atoms. Taking a glance over at Mara, she asked, "What now?"

Amara: "I don't know... you're the one with the crazy atom powers!" Amara reminded her, "I thought you could... figure it out.... Do I need to do something?" She looked at Raya again, "If this works I'll be so glad."

Raya: Oh God so will I! I want to be normal again, please turn me back!

rachel: "It's just teke. Nothing special," Rachel shook her head, "And you're the one that did all the research. Though, pretty sure what you showed me on the laptop was liquid glass..."

Amara: "Liquid... was it?" she hadn't looked at the pictures, she was more concerned about whether it was possible to reverse the conversion, "Oh... um... you mean I have to melt her...?" her voice trembled a little, "But... she won't look like her anymore... what if it doesn't work? She'll... she'll be... broken...." she looked at Raya's face, biting her lip hard.

Raya: Wait, no one said melting was involved! What are we melting?

rachel: "What if it does work? She'll be back to sand. We're not gonna know unless we try..."

Amara: "But if it doesn't work she'll be all melted...." Amara gave Raya an apologetic look, "And what if she can feel it? I might hurt her...." She ran a hand through her hair, she didn't like thinking about that. "Don't really have a choice though, huh?" she gave Rachel a look.

Raya: We're melting me, um....oh that could go really bad. Just don't like, let me...not get back together? Oh who was she kidding, they couldn't hear her at all.

rachel: "If you wanna try to fix this... not really, no," she shook her head, glancing over Raya again. "Once she's liquid, I can pick out the stuff that makes her... well, glass..."

Amara: Amara nodded, "Alright... sorry about this Raya..." Amara removed the sheet from the girl, "We might need this in one piece." She put her hands on Raya's glass arm and concentrated on heating her up.

Raya: Oooookay, um. It's warm in here now, what is she doing?!

rachel: Rachel moved back and sat down, watching as the glass started to shift. In an attempt to push away the nerves that were coming up, she closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. "Should I try to change her back as she melts or wait until she's a puddle?"

Amara: "Um... up to you?" Amara replied, "Which ever is easier... um... I don't know if it's a good idea to let her get too, er... runny though...."

rachel: "Okay... well, I'll just work on it as you melt her then." Rachel reached out for the atoms with her mind, working on remembering what shape the ones she was supposed to take out were.

Amara: Amara continued to melt the glass down, careful not to get too hot herself and destroy her clothing and part of the medlab in the process. She needed to be a hundred percent focussed on the task at hand.

rachel: She was pretty sure she found the ones she was supposed to remove and hesitantly pulled them away from the other atoms.

Amara: Amara felt the composition change, as she melted the glass, "Something's happening...." she told Rachel, even though she probably already knew that.

rachel: "Something good, I hope..." she mumbled, refocusing on the task.

Raya: Ooookay, something's going on. What's happening?

Amara: Amara kept the temperature constant, unwilling to make the glass any more fluid than it was already. But it should be enough.

rachel: Rachel finished up seperating the atoms with a sigh.

Raya: Raya was incredibly releived when they finally finished separating her silica particles out from everything else, which reformed into skin and bone and everything else without her having to think of it. She must have been really, really tired...

Raya: She drew in a gasping breath first, standing precariously on her feet before passing out on the floor.

Amara: Amara stepped forwards and caught Raya before she hit the floor, to save her from further injury. She looked up at Rachel, the relief and happiness clear on her face. "We did it! We actually did it!"

rachel: She nodded and stood up, grinning a bit, "Yeah, we did. She okay, other than the fact that she was a glass statue for a bit? Well, guess I could go get McCoy. He'd probably be able to tell better than you..."

Amara: "Yeah..." Amara reached for the blanket and pulled it over the unconscious Raya, holding her in her lap, "Can you get him? I wanna stay with her, if that's okay?"

rachel: "Sounds good to me," Rachel went to find the doctor, glad that the whole thing had worked. It meant she hadn't killed someone else, and that she would probably be out of the medlab soon.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

bet it felt all tingly going liquid
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

This is great crack! I was really impressed with how one event brought so many characters into it.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Hate to admit it, but this morning as I was swabbing the decks and then planting cuttings and doing all that Hausfrau stuff ... I kept thinking, "I hope they cured Raya!" Was *waiting* for a chance to plop down and read it.

Well done, ladies! It's odd that they didn't check with anyone in charge first, like McCoy, but kids are like that. (Trust me, I know ... sigh ...) Good ol' Rachel.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

Well done, ladies! It's odd that they didn't check with anyone in charge first, like McCoy, but kids are like that. (Trust me, I know ... sigh ...) Good ol' Rachel.
I thought about that while we were playing and was like 'eh, would probably only tell him if something goes horribly wrong'. :shifty