2/21 Instance: The Prodigal Congenials

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

2/21 Instance: The Prodigal Congenials

Post by Ferguson »

Current Timeline

<Jason> Jason mulled over his choices in leftovers. Pizza, Indian, Mystery. Well, he had enough risk earlier to feel justified in avoiding the mystery. He went ahead and stole the Indian, making for the bar with his pillaged treasure.

<Monet> Monet stretched as she woke herself up by rolling over and immediately paused. She sat upright and concentrated on what she felt. Either she was going insane or the prodigal 'brother' had returned. She slipped her silk robe on after getting out of bed and followed the mental presence to the kitchen. She paused in the doorway and crossed her arms, glaring silently at him.

<Jason> Jason looked up, spoonful of dal makhani hanging midair between his bow and his mouth. That was a glare. That was a scary glare. "...Indian?"

<Monet> "Non." She clipped the word short and couldn't even think past her anger beyond knowing that if she moved he would be dead, so she stayed put. "Où l'enfer vous était?! Aucune note, aucun appel téléphonique, aucun message. Vous avez disparu complètement! Et tout que vous pouvez dire est 'indien'?!"

<Monet> ((Where the hell were you?! No note, no phone call, no message. You completely disappeared! And all you can say is 'indian'?!))

<Jason> "I'm a product of middle class midwestern living, Monet. I don't know French near well enough to even guess in what ways you are telling me you are going to disembowel me."

<Monet> Monet took a few deep breaths and closed her eyes, a sharp pain in her chest making her wince, so she switched to shallower ones. They weren't as calming, but the pain was less. "Where. The hell. Have you been," she said very slowly through gritted teeth.

<Jason> "Egypt." He admitted, going back to eating because he wanted to have a last meal.

<Monet> "Egypt?!"

<Jason> "That's the place."

<Monet> "Merde!"

<Jason> "They just brought me and Raya back, we'd been working since Christmas break."

<Monet> "Oui?" She finally moved from her spot in the door and pulled out a large knife from the butcher's block then got a slab of frozen chocolate from the freezer. Monet moved to the island where Jason could see, set the chocolate down and gave it a hard cut with the knife, sending a piece flying. "Moi? I've only been in a coma for two and a half months," another piece went flying.

<Jason> "...perhaps if you wouldn't threaten my life with sweets we could talk about the particulars of both?" Jason winced visibly as a chocolate shard bounced against his arm.

<Monet> "Oh, I would never kill you, cher!" She gave him a flat stare as she chopped another piece off.

<Jason> "Fine, threaten to lock me in the basement and feed me my toes or something. Let's try to avoid that."

<Monet> "Why?" She tossed the knife onto the counter. "Why should we avoid any of that, darling?"

<Jason> "Because if you'll stop I'll tell you why I was in Egypt."

<Monet> Monet crossed her arms and glared at him silently.

<Jason> "Legacy is manmade. Buckman had employed Essex to make it and Buckman was using his medical supply company to infect the mutant population. He had a contract with dozens of governments to provide the blood work supplies and had every place he could supplied with dirty needles. He did it out of his offices in Cairo."

<Monet> Monet just stared at him for a long time before finally feeling like her legs wouldn't hold her and she sank onto a stool. A man-made virus nearly killed her? That was even scarier than it being just a normal virus. Because that meant someone had the means to kill her and knew how to do it again. She was almost sure all the blood had drained from her face. Her healing factor was supposed to be able to rid her of toxins such as that.

<Jason> "Are you okay?" Now Jason sounded worried as he was pretty sure he wasn't in any danger at the moment as he moved closer to the bar.

<Monet> "No, I am not okay!" She turned a glare at him, "You've just told me that the thing that shut down all of my mutations and came a hair's breadth away from killing me was man-made!"

<Jason> That time he did wince at the glare. "Would you rather I lie?"

<Monet> "Non," nearly all of her anger leaked out of her and she set her elbows on the counter, putting her forehead in her hands and closing her eyes. "Where is this Essex person now?"

<Jason> "He got away, got a truck out before we could do anything. His lab is destroyed and we got a good deal of useful stuff out of it. I believe the people more medically inclined are piecing things togther quickly.

<Monet> "Who sent you to Cairo?"

<Jason> "The Hellfire Club. Well, more specifically Shaw than the club because things would have leaked back to Buckman if too many people had known."

<Monet> Monet was silent for a long time before slowly pulling her hands away from her face and turning to him, "Take me there."

<Jason> "To the Club?" Jason was a bit surprised. "What do you want to do there?"

<Monet> Monet arched an eyebrow, "Why do you care?"

<Jason> "Why wouldn't I care?"

<Monet> "You never care."

<Jason> "Oh yes, that's why I went halfway across the world in order to spy on someone making a virus I don't have."

<Monet> "You were likely paid extremely well."

<Jason> Jason's demeanor shifted as he frowned at Monet. Well now he was offended. "I could have stayed here and taken at least five jobs while I was doing that one and make the same money while not running the risk of being an experimental lab rat if caught."

<Monet> Monet laughed, "Five as opposed to one? You are the lazy one, remember?"

<Jason> "What, you think this job was somehow easier than what I normally do? Spying on a mad scientist? Not advisable!"

<Monet> "Well I could have told you that one, cher."

<Jason> "I didn't need telling, that is what I'm saying."

<Monet> "So then why did you do it then? That was incredibly stupid of you."

<Jason> "...are we having different conversations here again?" Jason shook his ead. "Think back, what are you arguing against me doing."

<Monet> "Possibly getting yourself killed and figuring out that there is indeed something that can kill me and is made by humans. That is extremely unsettling and I definitely could have lived without knowing that." She glared, "Oh, and disappearing off of the face of the planet for nearly three months."

<Jason> "No, exact words, think exact words that you used, Monet." Jason crossed his arms and glared right back.

<Monet> Monet arched an eyebrow at him, a little confused, "We might be having different conversations after all. Because I'm still angry that you disappeared even if you had a 'good reason'. Which isn't all that good in my opinion if you didn't get anywhere or catch the man responsible."

<Jason> "Fine then, shall I just go and tell the people working with what we brought in 'never mind, the cure you're working on isn't good enough for Monet because it doesn't come with the head served on a platter?'." Jason stood up, putting the leftovers back. "You want to go to the club or not?"

<Monet> Monet arched an eyebrow, "You never said anything about a cure." She looked down at herself, wearing lingerie and a robe. "Well certainly not now, no."

<Jason> "What the hell did you think I was talking about Hank and them piecing together? A jigsaw puzzle?"

<Monet> "Jason. I just woke up, I'm incredibly ill, and incredibly pissed. Do you really think that a cure was the first thing that came to my mind when you said, and I quote 'the people more medically inclined are piecing things togther quickly'? What that lead me to believe was that they were figuring out how he created it." She felt like smacking herself. Which of course would lead to an antidote. "Why are you up so early?"

<Jason> "I'm sorry you're currently too dense to follow what I'm saying then, I'll spell it out for you next time. Maybe I'll even use pictures." Jason snapped back and, yes, it did lead straight to that question. "So am I flattering myself in thinking that you're up right now specifically to bitch at me and completely miss the point of what I'm saying as well as how you've managed to piss me off?"

<Monet> "I woke myself up when I rolled over, but felt your mental presence, so yes, that is why I'm out of bed currently. To bitch at you. And when have I ever given anyone the mistaken impression that I care if I have managed to anger them?"

<Jason> "Oh you're so close I feel like I should give you a cookie or something. Go back to bed, Monet."

<Monet> "No." She stood up and took his hand, pulling him into the rec room. "You're going to watch whatever cheesy movie is on at this horrid hour and then you're going to make me breakfast in a few hours. You have to be punished somehow for letting me believe you were either dead or kidnapped. Or something."

<Jason> "And why would I do that." Jason's eyebrow quirked up and he leaned against the counter, showing absolutely no intentions of moving.

<Monet> She narrowed her eyes, "Because you know very well how much damage I can do to you physically. So it's this or I get to use you as a human punching bag."

<Jason> "Right, I'm going to bed." Jason started for the door.

<Monet> Monet arched an eyebrow, "What on earth is your problem? You're not the one who should have any issues here."

<Jason> "You're right, I shouldn't." Jason put on a smile at that. "After all, it's not like I could possibly care. So you shouldn't care one way or the other if I was here or not, should you?"

<Monet> "Oh, is that what this is all about? You're upset with me because I've said you don't care." She gave him a flat look, "Jason, when have you ever put anyone before yourself that I've been witness to?"

<Jason> "Hell, I'll do you one better. I've got a time I put you specifically before me. And believe it or not, it does happen once in a while. I just get reminded, especially by you, that I was incredibly stupid in doing anything of the sort."

<Monet> "Oh? And when was that? You can't expect me to believe that you took this job specifically because of me." She crossed her arms under her chest. "Putting yourself in that much danger for just a large sum of money is stupid, Jason."

<Jason> "I do have other friends other than you. Good night, Monet."

<Monet> "Well there you go then." Well, damn. This was quite the opposite of how she expected this to go when she got out of bed. "You don't have a time you've put me before you."

<Jason> "When you came to me after that incident with Mayhem."

<Monet> "And you turned me down for sex because you couldn't think of me as more than a sister? Oh, oui, that's entirely for me," she rolled her eyes.

<Jason> "I like that you 'know' I don't care but also 'know' I'm always truthful." Jason just cracked a wider grin.

<Monet> Monet frowned at him, "Alright, fine. So you don't think of me as a sister. However, I was incredibly ill and you threatened to lysol me every time I got too close. Hell, you did once. So that's still all for you."

<Jason> "Right now, if I were an apple on some guy's head and you were William Tell I would really feel sorry for the guy." Jason grinned though. "You're missing key things in there."

<Monet> "So then just lay it out for me then, if I'm being so dense then, Jason." She sat on a stool and crossed her legs, arching an eyebrow. "What 'key things' am I missing?"

<Jason> "We'll see if it comes to you eventually, I'd hate to rob you of some sort of epiphany." Jason sighed, looking tired but a little bit happier. "Okay, what horror movie are you going to punish me with?"

<Monet> Well that was disappointing. She stood and offered her hand to him, "Since you gave in much too easy, you're going to be punished with some horribly made black and white 'chick flick'. That is, if I can find one."

<Jason> "Black and white? We're going old school even? Do I get snacks?" Jason took the offered hand.

<Monet> Monet arched an eyebrow and led him to the couch. "Non. But you may feed me snacks. Or you may feed me breakfast. Your choice." She sat down and picked up the remote, flicking on the television to search for a movie that was at least half-way decent.

<Jason> "Breakfast it is then." Jason flopped down more than sat down tired from the events and tired from dancing around word choice.

<Monet> "Bien!" She settled back into the couch and glanced over at him. Monet paused in her channel surfing to pluck a piece of concrete from his collar and held it out to him. "Starting a rock collection, cher?"

<Jason> "I've taken up the very thrilling hobby of blowing buildings up. Rock collecting is like keeping a memento of every one you set off."

<Monet> "Oh." Monet set the chunk on the coffee table and reached up to brush dust from his hair, just now noticing how awful he looked. "That does sound more exciting than my new hobby of pretending to care about cage fights to figure out why people are being killed in them." She turned back to the television and frowned, "This will do. Miss Congeniality, I believe."

<Jason> "I don't think either Raya or I will get many opportunities to blow anything else up which is a pity because I developed a taste for it." His eyebrow did quirk slightly at the cage fights. "I take it I missed a good deal."

<Jason> "Isn't it slightly ironic for us to be watching anything called Miss Congeniality?"

<Monet> "You missed a great deal. Which is part of why I am so upset with you. I wake up from a coma to find you gone without even so much as a note to say that you've gone somewhere top secret and you may or may not return. Who was I supposed to talk to about anything?" Monet put the remote on the table, "At least you've made it back for the fallout of the most recent break-up."

<Monet> She tucked her legs under her hip and arched an eyebrow, "Oh I don't know. I believe both of us can be congenial when we really choose to be. Like right now for instance."

<Jason> "We weren't expecting to be there for so long...and couldn't contact." Jason sighed, propping his feet up on the coffee table. "Would've if I could have done so." He gave her a confused look though. "Most recent?"

<Jason> "I like to think that we're acquired tastes."

<Monet> "Mayhem had to go back to England. His father had a seizure and fell off of a ladder, resulting in a broken leg. Not even two days ago, did I come home from said cage fights to find a voicemail telling me that he wanted to talk. He's decided he wants to stay. Not just to help his father. But stay as in not come back here." She shrugged, "He knows that I cannot travel to Europe and needless to say that made me very angry."

<Monet> "Mmm. Acquired tastes. I have yet to find anyone who is acquired to us besides ourselves."

<Jason> "We're fine wine that we don't have to worry about being sold out then." He shrugged. "Well, I can certainly see how that one would definitely make you angry. Would you like for me to go blow something up?"

<Monet> "Now how would that make me feel better? Shouldn't it be me doing the blowing up?"

<Jason> "Well, I couldn't get one head on a platter, could get another." he shrugged. "But if you want to do the blowing I would be glad to assist."

Monet: "Just because he's angered me doesn't mean that I necessarily want his head on a platter. I just don't want to see him again. He lived up to the expectations that I've set for the whole of society. I'm not sure why I'm so surprised." Since that phone call, she'd kept a strong mental block up on her end of their link. At least until she could figure out how to sever it. "I've already burned things of importance to him. No explosion

Jason: "I missed the burning too? Well damn." Jason sighed disappointedly, glancing at the movie. "So, she's infiltrating a beauty pageant? That can't be a very hard challenge. Don't need to train, just pay off people to stay in."

Monet: "That's hardly infiltrating, darling. To properly infiltrate, you need to become one of them. No one can know who you truly are so that you can find out what's really going on. Just like what we're doing with the cage fights. However, they do know who I am... Thankfully I fit in."

Monet: She leaned her head on Jason's shoulder, "She has to learn how to become a proper woman. She's disgusting. And then, once she does, the male detective realizes that he's in love with her." She looked up, "Have you seen this before or did I just ruin that part for you?"

Jason: "No I haven't seen it and no you didn't ruin anything I couldn't have guessed as soon as the proper characters were introduced. And that is a horrible premise."

Monet: "Non. This is a romantic comedy. The premise isn't supposed to be outstanding. And I did warn you that this was your punishment." Monet made a face as the woman started to eat the Snickers bar. "She is wonderfully disgusting."

Jason: "But still, nobody will be interested in you until you conform and trot around answering to Gracie Lou Freebush? Hell, I can all ready tell you right now I'd probably rather have this person around as she is right now compared to how she will be at the end of the movie."

Monet: "You've completely got the plot skewed, cher. The point isn't that she changes for the person, which, technically, she changes only for the infiltration purposes, but that she discovers more about herself and decides that maybe a little better hygiene and manners make her more into someone she loves. You have to look deeper than the surface, darling."

<Jason> "But what I'm getting at is the fact that he can't take any interest in her until she has her," and here Jason even used ridiculous hand motions "beautiful swan transformation. Now you tell me, what kind of shit is that?"

<Monet> Monet laughed, "Well, he couldn't take any interest in her because she didn't want him to. She had this whole facade up to repel anyone who seemed even remotely interested." Oh, that sounded eerily familiar... "But once she started to grow comfortable with who she was behind the mask, he sat up and took notice."

<Jason> "I can hardly believe you're defending this." Jason admitted with a laugh. "Of course, I can hardly believe you would watch this on your own volition but still. She was humiliated by her co-workers, pretty much devalued as a human, and we're supposed to like it because it at least will only be half of her therapy bill because she's realized how to use a shower?"

<Monet> "You mean you didn't realize that I like to watch people get devalued as human beings?" She sat up to arch an eyebrow at him and then leaned over to grab a blanket, draping it over their laps before resting her head on his shoulder again. "And beyond that, I love movies. The acting fascinates me." And that was more than even Mayhem knew. Jason should feel special. "And it's fun to watch her taunt the man who likes her," she smirked.

<Jason> "There we go, just wanted to make sure I knew why you liked this." Jason chuckled and relaxed. "And taunting never gets old, really." Those were at least values that he would accept and not argue about.

<Monet> Monet grinned, "And by the way, cher? You want to huuuug me. You want to kiiiiiiss me. You want to loooove me." Dieu, she felt like an idiot mocking that portion of the movie, but it would be fun to see his reaction. "Either that or you're gay and you hide it well."

<Jason> I'll...pretend that I understand that reference?" Jason quirked an eyebrow at Monet. "and we all ready know I do bad enough without cutting a whole gender out of my selection process."

Monet: Monet smirked, "You'll understand shortly." She turned her attention back to the movie, pleased that she knew she was right even without his admission. "Oh, your aura is oddly colored. Thought you might like to know that."

Jason: If Jason's look before wasn't saying 'wtf' before it sure as hell was now. "My aura?"

Monet: "Oui. Apparently, the Legacy Virus awoke a new power in me that had yet to manifest. Yours is a bright yellow color... But it has some haze over it. Brown and grey. Apparently those are called aura overlays." She sat up to look at him, studying his aura for a moment, "Oui... Oui, bright yellow with brown and gray."

Jason: "Oh, so I'm literally yellow? Fitting. What's that supposed to mean anyway?"

Monet: "How the hell should I know? I just found out that that's what they are to begin with. And it seems I can only see those of mutants. At the cage fights, the normal humans didn't have one."

<Jason> "It's called the internet, research that shit."

<Monet> "Forgive me for working on catching up in my classes before I research auras." She shifted to lie down, putting her head in Jason's lap and covering her arms with the blanket.

<Jason> "Hell, I need to actually make my schedule. Not that I doubt something could be worked out considering this school. Not a big deal."

<Monet> "And we're back to the not caring portion of your life."

<Jason> "If I didn't care I would be asleep right now instead of watching Sandra Bullock being coached on how to walk."

<Monet> "What does that have to do with your school work?"

<Jason> "That has to do with me not caring again as you seem to want to harp on that." Jason pointed out, shifting in his seat to get more blanket.

<Monet> "Well, school work is a big deal." She shifted to slip more of the blanket to him. Monet watched the movie silently for a few minutes, just enjoying it. "Why do you care as much as you are trying to lead me to believe?"

<Jason> "If it's difficult maybe." He shrugged. Hey, more blankets, excellent! "Trust me, if I knew why I would probably be able to be asleep right now"

<Monet> The corner of her mouth twitched up slightly, "Well don't stay up on my account. But if you wake up with horrible things done to you and I've gone to bed, you may not blame me."

Jason: "You see? I can't even trust you. What would you do?" Jason was laughing, trying to imagine what mischief she could get up to.

Monet: "Who me? Nothing. You should know better than to believe I would get my hands dirty. Oh no, someone else would do it."

Jason: "It doesn't have to involve dirt. Hell, a well placed bowl of water would serve just as much."

Monet: "You know what I mean, cher. I would more likely pay someone to do something and never tell me so that when you come to yell at me, I won't be feigning ignorance, it would be real."

Jason: "But I still know better." Jason pointed out. "Plus really, when have I come back to yell at you for things like that?"

Monet: "When have I done something like that where it warranted being yelled at," Monet countered.

Jason: "You make the fatal mistake of thinking that it would have to be warranted." Jason pointed out. "It's me that's more guilty of those things anyway."

Monet: "So you wouldn't yell at me then? Hmm. Interesting." She shrugged one shoulder and rolled on her back to look up at him, reaching up to pat his cheek twice, "Oui, cher. You are quite the juvenile prankster."

Jason: "Of course I am. It's part of my very well-hidden charm, I assure you."

Monet: Monet laughed and rolled her eyes, turning back towards the movie. "Darling, you have your charm so well hidden that you can't even find it."

Jason: "It's there! I swear it is! It'll pop out when you least expect it!"

<Monet> She fought the laugh at his enthusiasm. "And which of us are you trying to convince, amour?"

<Jason> "I have to choose only one person?"

<Monet> The laugh bubbled to the surface and she shifted to get more comfortable on his lap. "Non."

<Jason> "Excellent, I am polycharming!" Jason announced his victory in charming quite happily. It earned a fistpump.

<Monet> Monet's eyebrows went up at the fist pump and she just stared at him in bemusement for a moment before hearing what was going on in the movie, "Oh, the best part. The taunting."

<Jason> "This had best be an artform of taunting. I want to be envious and perhaps feel the need to take notes." Jason turned his attention back to the movie.

<Monet> "Nothing that spectacular. Although it is highly amusing." Monet smirked as Sandra Bullock said nearly the exact words she'd said earlier. "So what are you going to make me for breakfast then?"

<Jason> "At this point? Cheerios."

<Monet> Monet frowned and pushed to sit up so she could look him in the eye. "Cheerios? Non. I would be better off ordering out." She pulled the blanket onto herself and curled up against the back of the couch. Cheerios. Ha!

<Jason> "You may get better if I feel so pulled."

<Monet> "That was part of your punishment remember? I should not have to persuade you."

<Jason> "You never said what I had to make." Jason stretched and snuggled into the blanket.

<Monet> Monet frowned and pulled the blanket away from him. "Not cereal."

<Jason> "I was teasing you." Jason whined, grabbing onto the blanket too.

<Monet> Monet jerked on the blanket and laid down the opposite way, pressing her feet against his thigh as she curled in the blanket and held on. "Don't tease me about breakfast. That is the meal that makes me some semblance of polite for the rest of the day."

<Jason> "I'll even take requests if you give me some of the blanket back. And it must be a fine, fine veneer of polite." Jason half mumbled, but smirked.

<Monet> Monet held up a portion of tha blanket in an invitation for him. "Very fine," she agreed with a grin.

<Jason> Jason took the invitation, making himself comfortable and definitely claiming his half of the blanket. "So be thinking of what you want."

Monet: Monet snuggled back into Jason and pulled the blanket up to her shoulders. "Well, it has to be something you're good at making. I don't want to die from being poisoned by horrible food."

Jason: "I'll have you know that none of my poisonings are ever accidental. I assure you." Jason stifled a yawn, glad to be laying down and getting a blanket. "...damnit, now I'm tired and hungry."

Monet: "Well at least you're not still on Egypt's time clock. You said Raya went with you, oui? That had to be highly unpleasant. The girl is a wretch."

Jason: "Oh I'm still on the clock. I've just not slept properly there either. The jet is comfortable enough but sleeping is difficult." He shrugged. "And Raya and I had a nice time, actually. She didn't have nearly as many hangups as I would have thought."

Monet: "Mmm." Monet reached out and took the remote, switching off the television and closing her eyes. She turned to face Jason and leaned up to kiss his cheek. "Sleep then, cher. You may make me breakfast when you wake up."

Jason: "Get some sleep too." Jason managed a smile. "And there'll be a giant breakfast in the morning."

Monet: "That sounds delicious." She curled into him and closed her eyes after making sure the mental block was still up. "Bonne nuit."

[Edited on 22-2-2010 by Slarti]