04/20 Instance: Musical Interlude

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

04/20 Instance: Musical Interlude

Post by steyn »

time: current

rachel: Rachel sat at the piano and bit down on her lip, flinching at the horrible noise that was produced as she hit the keys. She took a deep breath and started on the scales again, slightly relieved when they sounded a little better. She needed to start practicing regularly again...

Pietro: Pietro walked down to the music room, deciding that he needed a break from working and worrying. He stopped at the door when he heard someone playing the piano and debated whether or not to go in. He opened the door a crack and stuck his head in.

rachel: She smiled slightly as the sound improved even more. A few more times, and she might be ready to attempt a song. One that she liked, not the classical stuff that Josh always had her practice.

Pietro: "Hi Rachel..." Pietro called, stepping into the room, "Sorry to disturb you." He stood in the door way. "I was going to practise but you were here first so I'll go if you want..."

rachel: "Hey," Rachel paused and shrugged a bit, "It's cool. Doesn't bother me. I haven't done anything in a long time, so I figured I'd try."

Pietro: "Too busy or too lazy?" He smiled at her as he closed the door and crossed the room to pick up his flute.

rachel: "I want to say just busy, but it's a bit of both," she gave a grin.

Pietro: He chuckled and started to put his flute together, "Well it's okay, I won't tell anyone... to tell you the truth, I haven't played in a while either. Haven't really felt like it." He set the flute on its stand then went to look for some music.

rachel: "I know that feeling, too. I used to play a lot. Well, I used to play bass a lot and a little guitar." She debated sheet music or just listening to a song and taking a stab at it. It'd probably be nicer on Pietro's ears if she went with the music... "Josh taught me piano when we met."

Pietro: "I started out on the piano," Pietro told her, selecting some music and putting it to one side while he set up a stand for it. "Flute's easier to carry around."

rachel: "I can believe that," Rachel grinned, "So, you play anything else?"

Pietro: "I tried the violin but my father decided he didn't like the teacher so he got fired...." He shrugged, "That happened to a lot of my music and arts teachers, actually..."

rachel: She nodded, "Yeah, my mom wasn't very supportive. I don't think she was expecting a garage band when I asked for a bass. I also don't think she considered a lot of it music. Then, I kinda stopped practicing when I started tattooing."

Pietro: Pietro laughed, "Yeah, it's amazing how unsupportive parents can be at times." He put the music on the stand, "Though I think in my father's case it was more because he was hoping I'd be more interested in his job. But I'm aparently too much like my mother."

rachel: "Sometimes I have to wonder if I'm adopted," Rachel smirked as she looked through the music on her mp3 player. Which song should she horribly butcher today?

Pietro: "Is that wondering or hoping?" Pietro grinned at her, "And I'm sure your parents aren't worse than mine."

rachel: "I'll get back to you on that when I figure out the answer," she shook her head. Not finding a song on piano, so she was going to just move onto the guitar. It was way more fun. "And, probably not. They just drive me insane sometimes, which I guess is normal."

Pietro: "Well if you want a second oppinion on normalcy, I'm completely the wrong person to ask." He picked up his flute, "Though I might be able to manage an educated guess."

rachel: "Yeah, well, at least you're not the only one who'd have no idea," she laughed as she worked on tuning the guitar, "So, what kind of music do you like?"

Pietro: "I have no real preference." Pietro told her, "As long as there's a decent melody anyway. I was raised on classical music..." he gave her a small shrug.

rachel: "That's pretty much the same as Josh. He has, like, nothing but classical music. It's torture."

Pietro: "Eh, it could be worse, at least I admitt it. Acceptance is the first step on the road to recovery." He gave her another grin, "And you can feel free to indoctrinate me with whatever music you like, I'm not really one for complaining."

rachel: She practiced a scale and smiled, "Cool. I listen to rock, metal, stuff like that..."

Pietro: Pietro frowned a little in consideration, "Well... I'll try anything once." He smiled at her, "And the last time you introduced me to something new it didn't go too badly so I guess I'd be willing to investigate."

rachel: "Glad to know the video games weren't painful," Rachel snickered a bit at his expression, slightly wishing the guitar wasn't an acoustic, "I'll have to find some stuff. Well, guess I could play it, but it wouldn't be as awesome."

Pietro: "Well if we're going to practise in the same room, I'd suggest picking something I could join in with." He looked behind him at the music books, "There's gotta be something in there you wouldn't mind playing."

rachel: "You can just pick something, and I'll deal," she shrugged.

Pietro: "Coward." He grinned again then put the flute down to look through some of the books, "I'm going to assume you don't want something classical?"

rachel: She stuck her tongue out, "Doesn't matter to me. Josh made me play classical all the time when I was learning piano."

Pietro: Pietro pulled out a few books that had duets for flute and guitar and flute and piano. They ranged from classical, to folk (clearly provided by Anna judging by the state they were in) and some other more 'alternative' titles.

rachel: Rachel just grabbed one of the books and flipped to a random song, "This one?"

Pietro: "Sure why not..." Pietro pulled out the flute book that was slipped inside and set it on the stand after flicking to the right page. "Testing my sight reading skills..."

rachel: "It'll be a nice test for mine, too," she grinned, "I usually just play by ear."

Pietro: "Well then, after you." Pietro picked up the flute again, "Hmm, hope we're in tune...."

rachel: "Guess we'll find out," Rachel took a quick glance over the music before starting.

Pietro: Pietro counted in his head then joined in, playing the melody. His mutation, as usual, helping him to stay a step ahead and fortunately they were in tune so it sounded okay too. He turned the page.

rachel: She bit down on her lip as she focused on the music, careful not to mess up as her eyes scanned the music. It'd been way too long since she'd played with another person. Well, it'd been too long since she'd played in general.

Pietro: "Well that wasn't too bad," Pietro said, when they were done. He smiled at her.

rachel: "Yeah, went better than I thought it would," she grinned, setting the guitar aside.

Pietro: "You should practise more then you woulnd't expect the worst." He returned the grin and put the flute down, "And then maybe I'd be encouraged to practise just to keep you company."

rachel: "It's just habit to expect the worst," Rachel shrugged, "I guess I'll have to make time, then."

Pietro: "Expect the worst and you'll always be plesantly surprised?" he hazarded, "And definately try to make time, at least until summer. It's nice to have more options for distraction."

rachel: "That's one way of putting it," she smirked, "Until summer works. I'll probably start to get busy around then."

Pietro: "I'm taking a vacation." Pietro sat down, "Getting far far away from this place."

rachel: Rachel nodded, running a hand through her hair, "We're moving out."

Pietro: He raised an eyebrow, "Really? The crazy finally get too much for you? I can understand if that's the case - I kept my appartment for that very reason."

rachel: "Pretty sure, and that's part of it. I don't want to deal with all the drama, and I could go without being taken again," she gave a shrug, "Where are you planning on vacationing?"

Pietro: "Europe." He replied, "Far far away." He said again, "My family's from there originally, figured I should at least take a look around... haven't decided whether or not to go alone yet though."

rachel: "Cool. I've been to England. It wasn't bad."

Pietro: "That's encouraging." He shook his head, "Not going there anyway." He sighed, "Though the vacation hinges on my not finding out where my sister is. If I know where she is, I'll be going to get her instead." Sophie took priority. He, Emma and his mother were all keeping their eyes peeled for any spec of information on the whereabouts of Magnus.

rachel: Rachel nodded, "That... sounds like fun..."

Pietro: Pietro looked at her for a moment then shook his head, "Sorry... it's just on my mind a lot lately. Didn't even know I had as sister til a few weeks ago - a couple of hours after I met her our father shows up and they both vanish." He frowned, "It's riddiculous, all this trouble over a photo album...."

rachel: "Nah, it's cool. I don't mind listening. You know how I am with advice though," she gave a slight grin, "It's kinda cool that you have a sister, then not with the whole disappearing act."

Pietro: "I'm not sure any amount of advice would help here," Pietro told her, "So don't worry about that... And I'm not all that worried about Sophie actually, from what my mother's told me about her... he's gonna have his hands full." He smiled, "I just want to know where they are... it bothers me that I don't know where he is in case he gets it in his head to come back here... he really wants that album - enough to threaten Emma."

rachel: Rachel took a few to think over what he'd said, "So, it's like not knowing where Essex is. Well, that's what I can relate it to anyway."

Pietro: "Yeah, exactly." Pietro frowned out the window for a moment, "Or worse... he could send one of his pets here instead."

rachel: She made a face at the idea of one of Essex's minions being sent here again, "Yeah, that'd suck."

Pietro: "The really stupid thing is, I don't have the album. I didn't even know it existed til he came asking for it. Someone else has it and they won't give it to me." He rolled his eyes, "It's such a mess...."

rachel: "I'm sure it'll work out eventually." Rachel tried another grin, "So, about my music... wanna go listen? I'll even let you pick the CD."

Pietro: He gave her a small smile, "Sure, why not? A distraction works." He got to his feet, "But can we stop by the kitchen?"

rachel: She snickered and shook her head, "Yeah, sure. I could use a drink."