5/9 Instance: Given Up

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

5/9 Instance: Given Up

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

timeline: after 'Tis But a Flesh Wound

Laura: Laura had finished her training and made her way back to the bedroom, taking her usual spot in the middle of the bed after a quick shower. She found a spot on the wall to study intently as she made mental notes of what to work on during her next session.

Jessica: After she was sure Danny would be okay, Jess made her way back up to her room. She stepped inside and closed the door behind her, leaning back against it. "So.... what the hell?"

Laura: She turned her gaze to Jess and blinked, not exactly sure what the answer to that question was supposed to be.

Jessica: "What made you think it was okay to stab Danny in the shoulder?" Jess clarified.

Laura: A look of realization briefly made an appearance before Laura schooled her expression again, answering, "He said to do my best."

Jessica: "Right, okay... but he's trying to recover so maybe making his recovery time longer wasn't what he meant...?"

Laura: Recovering. His sloppiness made more sense now. "He should have clarified."

Jessica: "Yes he should have and I don't know why he didn't but you must have seen he was hurting...."

Laura: "I noticed that he was not as good as he usually is."

Jessica: She rubbed her forehead a little, "It's not okay to stab people, Laura..."

Laura: "But he said..."

Jessica: "I know what he said... but he doesn't heal as fast as you and you have to take these things into account when you're sparring..."

Laura: "I did not really try my best on him," she reasoned, "If I had, he would not have a throat."

Jessica: She wrinkled her nose a little, moving to sit on her bed, "Well... that's nice..."

Laura: "It is," Laura nodded.

Jessica: Jess ran a hand through her hair, "Next time.... maybe ask about claws or no claws?" she suggested.

Laura: She tilted her head slightly, "For which set of claws?"

Jessica: "Both?"

Laura: Laura thought that over and eventually gave a nod, "I suppose."

Jessica: "It'll just be easier for everyone involved if there's no stabbing...."

Laura: "For everyone else."

Jessica: "And for you too. How can you prove you're the best if you have such a distinct advantage?"

Laura: "The advantage obviously means I am the best."

Jessica: Jess shook her head, "Or it means you're cheating. Wouldn't you rather win on skill?"

Laura: Laura frowned as she took that into consideration, "It is not cheating. It is using my resources to my advantage."

Jessica: "This isn't battle, Laura. It's competition. And in a fair competition, every starts on a level playing field."

Laura: "There is nothing that is fair," she shook her head.

Jessica: "There is," Jess argued, "Like I said, competition not a battle."

Laura: Laura gave a frown, brow furrowing as he worked out her response. "There is not. If the playing field were level, we would all have to be on the same level to start with, which we are not because everyone here has a different ability that gives them some sort of advantage."

Jessica: "So then make a rule where you don't fight with powers."

Laura: "That could not always work."

Jessica: "Maybe not but then they're cheating and you need to be the bigger person."

Laura: "I do not know what that means..."

Jessica: "It means you should show you're better than they are by sticking to the rules anyway."

Laura: "But I do not need to be bigger in order to prove I am better."

Jessica: "It's got nothing to do with outside appearance."

Laura: "Then, why would say it does?"

Jessica: "It's just an expression..."

Laura: Laura continued to frown at that, not particularly satisfied.

Jessica: "It means bigger inside... it's hard to explain..."

Laura: The frown deepened at that. People didn't just get bigger inside...

Jessica: Jess lay down on her bed and rolled onto her back to stare at the ceiling.

Laura: Slowly shaking her head, Laura eventually decided to just let that one go because there wasn't any way she could rationalize it. She decided to get back to their previous topic, "It was not that bad."

Jessica: "This time...." she looked over at her, "Don't do that again, okay? Please..."

Laura: "I will not do it to Danny again."

Jessica: Jess considered that and eventually decided it would do, "Fine... thank you."

Laura: "You are welcome."

Jessica: Jess went back to looking at the ceiling.

Laura: Laura's brow furrowed as she eyed her roommate.

Jessica: Jess didn't even need to look, "What now?"

Laura: "Why do you care?"

Jessica: She looked over, "Something's bothering you. What is it?"

Laura: "No. I meant why do you care?"

Jessica: "Why wouldn't I care?"

Laura: "I do not know. That is why I asked."

Jessica: Jess turned back to the ceiling and put her hands over her face. "You're giving me a look which leads me to assume it's something about me that's bothering you."

Laura: "You would not care if I had stabbed anyone else?" Laura ventured.

Jessica: "Of course I would... why wouldn't I? Well, I mean... unless that person healed or something...."

Laura: "Yet you agreed when I said I would not stab Danny again."

Jessica: "Well yeah... it's better than nothing...."

Laura: Laura decided that answer was reasonable enough and gave a nod, uncurling to swing her legs over the side of the bed.

Jessica: Jess frowned now instead.

Laura: She caught the expression and raised an eyebrow.

Jessica: "Why did you ask me that?"

Laura: "Clarification."

Jessica: "Of what?"

Laura: "Of whether it was just Danny, in particular, you cared about or everyone."

Jessica: Jess raised an eyebrow at her.

Laura: Laura considered the expression before asking, "What?"

Jessica: "What would that have to do with anything?"

Laura: "On whether I answered correctly or not."

Jessica: Jess sat up and looked over at her again, "The correct answer would be not stabbing anyone, but I accepted not stabbing Danny again because he definitely doesn't need that right now."

Laura: Laura cocked her head to one side, "And, I accepted that answer..."

Jessica: "But then why does the other thing matter?"

Laura: "I was curious as to what the answer would be."

Jessica: "But why?"

Laura: "In an attempt to understand why stabbing him mattered to you."

Jessica: "Because you stabbed him! That's why!"

Laura: "I did..."

Jessica: "Stabbing people is not okay!"

Laura: "Why?"

Jessica: "Because it hurts and they might die!"

Laura: Laura gave her a blank look.

Jessica: Jess facepalmed. "I give up."

Laura: "Give what up?"

Jessica: "Jesus..." she muttered, rolling her eyes, "Never mind." She opened up the window and climbed out of it.

Laura: Frowning, she stood and started for the door. She required food, which meant she had to endure a trip to the kitchen. However, it gave her time to ponder what giving up Jesus had to do with anything.