11/16 Instance: Stay-Puffed

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

11/16 Instance: Stay-Puffed

Post by Ferguson »

Current Timeline

<Fabian> Fabian wrinkled his nose at the rain coming down outside as he finished his coffee, walking along the bookstore shelves. "It doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon, does it?"

<Fabian> Well, at least books were always a solid form of entertainment. He found his pace slowing as he turned to browse aimlessly at the covers.

<@Cecilia> Cecilia wandered alongside Fabian. "No, I don't think so," she said, staring out at the grey sky. "I'm not fond of snow and I'm okay with rain. But snow and rain? Not fun."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia eyed the travel section. "How useful is Lonely Planet when it comes to Barcelona you think?"

<Fabian> "You don't have fun by going by the guides." Fabian clicked his tongue at the very idea of it. "You'll be with me anyway, you're going to see everything that's good to see, don't worry."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia smiled widely. "Yeah, I am..." She trailed her fingers along the spines of the books as they passed. "Is there anywhere you haven't been?" She asked, curious.

<Fabian> "In the city you mean? Not really, I combed it pretty heavily." He gave a shrug, glancing back towards her and the travel section.

<@Cecilia> "I meant in the world," she laughed. "Is there somewhere we can go someday that would be new for both of us?"

<@Cecilia> Cecilia eyed a book about Tokyo. She wondered if Penny and Noriko would go to Japan in the summer, like they'd been talking about. Maybe...

<Fabian> "Of course, I've not travelled that much. Still plenty to do, plus it's always good to revisit a few things anyway; you always think of something you should have done later."

<@Cecilia> "Mm," she said. She wandered over to the fiction section. "Hey! I remember this!" She laughed, picking up 'The Chrysalids' from the shelf. "I loved this book so much when I was in high school!"

<Fabian> "What is it?" Fabian grabbed another copy, mulling it over as he found that out for himself. "Huh, seems strangely familiar in a way, doesn't it?"

<@Cecilia> "You think?" Laughed Cecilia. "This book saved my life in high school. I manifested when I was fourteen...It meant a lot to read about people like me. Not many books about people like us."

<Fabian> "And if they are they don't exactly stay too true to home. Plenty of superpowers, not much in the way of how things are in the life." Well, there was purchase number one decided then.

<@Cecilia> "I can't believe you haven't read that. What were your teachers giving you to read. Kafka?"

<Fabian> "I chose my own reading lists and yeah, Kafka made it on there. I rather like him as a matter of fact." Fabian didn't particularly see anything odd with that, either. "Have you?"

<@Cecilia> Cecilia raised an eyebrow. "I grew up in the freakin' ghetto. We didn't read Kafka. We did most of the standard stuff though. 'The Outsiders,' 'To Kill A Mockingbird,' 'Catcher In The Rye'..."

<@Cecilia> She shrugged. "Most academic we got was Shakespeare. I liked those. Except for Romeo and Juliet."

<Fabian> "Just because you're in the ghetto doesn't mean you can't walk out and go to a library now." Fabian teased, snorting at Romeo and Juliet. "The only reason I find it to be bad is people insist on finding it romantic when it's just vapid idiots getting themselves killed."

<Fabian> "If no Kafka perhaps Camus?" He held The Stranger out to her, wriggling it temptingly.

<@Cecilia> Cecilia looked it over. "It looks interesting," she said honestly. How many books were about Algerians? Not many. "Yeah, Romeo and Juliet were more interested in screwing each other than anything. I wrote an essay arguing it. I got an 'A.'"

<@Cecilia> "And I did go to the library, Jesus, how do you think I survived?" She snorted. "But you wouldn't find Kafka there either. And even if you did you'd have to put up with written commentary in the margins from the last reader."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia shrugged. "I don't mean to complain or whine. I'm not. The commentary was actually funny sometimes. We just...lived very different lives."

<Fabian> "Books are meant to be written in, that's why they're made of paper. I've always enjoyed when I find books with commentary in them...sadly, it doesn't look like we'll be getting any here. Everything's too shiny and new." That just seemed too bad to Fabian.

<Fabian> "You're going to have to talk me out of writing in the books."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia laughed. "Well, whenever I was given a book my parents wrote in the cover, so I remembered who gave it to me..."

<@Cecilia> She thought a moment. "We can't write in these directly...but we could write something on a piece of paper and leave it in it. That doesn't hurt anybody and people would receive the benefit of our opinions," she grinned.

<Fabian> "...I'd rush you over to the twilight books but the things that need to be corrected in them just will take more than a note." Fabian snorted just thinking about it. "Shall we collect some books and make for the chairs then?"

<@Cecilia> Cecilia nodded excitedly and began rushing through the shelves, grabbing books left and right. "Best idea ever!" She laughed.

<Fabian> Fabian laughed with her, milling around the place and getting a variety of books to work with. "I do try."

<@Cecilia> "Hey, I came up with the paper idea!" Said Cecilia, sticking her tongue out and sitting at one of the tables. Pulling a piece of paper and pen from her backpack. "Okay, which one do you wanna do first?"

<Fabian> "We can take one from your stack first." Fabian decided, sitting down and putting his books on the table in front of them.

<@Cecilia> Cecilia picked up one. 'The Great Gatsby.' "This one has you written all over it, Fabi." She smiled fondly.

<Fabian> "Believe it or not? I'm not the biggest fan of it. It's a bit too relationship oriented for me I suppose but more to the point it reminded me of far too many people I know and find tiresome." He couldn't help but smirk as he grabbed his paper and pen.

<@Cecilia> Cecilia handed the book to him. "Now's your chance to tell the world exactly what you think. Of the book and whoever you had to deal with." She held out a hand, indicating she wanted a book from his pile.

<Fabian> The Brothers Karamazov found it's way into Cecilia's hands. "A bit long-winded so the notes will probably have to be continued later on but that is usually more like the character interactions I prefer to read about."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia flipped through the book. Noting it dealt mostly with the illegitimate children of a buffoon. But also with questions about God, morality and free will. "Heavy stuff," she noted. "...I've never read this one either," she admitted, suddenly feeling not very well read.

<@Cecilia> She wrote 'Typically Russian' on a piece of paper and put it in the book.

<Fabian> "You can have my copy to read then." He snorted at her note, unable to help but crack a grin at it. "That does sum things up nicely there. So what else do we have?"

<@Cecilia> Cecilia held up 'Slaughterhouse Five.' "I like it. But the aliens were a bit hard for me to get past. Do what you will with it."

<Fabian> "I adore Slaughterhouse Five." He snatched the book up and grabbed a new bit of paper, scribbling about a bit pompously about human nature and free will before holding up a slimmer item. "Lady Windermere's Fan for your perusal."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia snorted at the play and wrote 'He's cheating on you. Clear out the bank account and get the hell out of dodge.'

<@Cecilia> "Here," she handed a book to him. 'Catcher In The Rye.' "I was gonna go with emo on that one," she smirked.

<Fabian> "Aw, but there's so much better things to do than just leave with that kind of setup." He shrugged at her note and then pulled a terrible face as he took up Catcher In The Rye. "Do I have to?"

<@Cecilia> "Yes," said Cecilia. "Or I will. In fact, I will." She picked up a pen and scribbled a note. 'Jess stop reading this book and see Dr.Guan.'

<Fabian> Fabian couldn't help but laugh much louder than one should in a book store. "Nothing depressed me like that book. It just reminded me that the world is full of stupid, stupid people who don't realize they're stupid."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia leaned back in her chair and smirked. "I just couldn't handle all the whiteboy angst. God, your life so hard! Prep school and girfriends and films! What a tragedy!" Laughed Cecilia. "What I wouldn't give to give Holden a slap."

<@Cecilia> She picked up 'Pride and Prejudice.' "Another silly one that teenage girls like and I hate," she remarked.

<Fabian> "Does this mean I'm not allowed to angst at you?" he asked teasingly, sliding The Stranger over to Cecilia. "Hey now, I actually have a strange fondness for it...no teasing on that."

<@Cecilia> "You're shitting me!" Exclaimed Cecilia. Wait, was he? "Really? Why?" She asked seriously, keeping her face neutral so that he wouldn't think she was going to make fun of him. This was interesting...

<@Cecilia> "Depends on what you're angsting about. If you've got a legitimate upset then I'm willing to listen," she remarked. "You've listened to me, I'll always return the favour."

<Fabian> "Well considering I've all ready passed over Lady Windemere's Fan I don't think I can hide enjoying books of manners and satire. I'm not saying it's a particular favourite but I don't hate it."

<Fabian> "Lucky for us both I don't angst about much things...I'd hate to be Holden Caulfield."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia nodded. "I don't think I've got the temperment for romance. I don't like all those silly declarations of affection...I don't think you should have to say those things. Either you know or you don't." She wrote 'Don't let your parents define you.' Well, it seemed suitable considering the themes of the novel.

<Fabian> Fabian took the book back to scribble a few words on class and reputation below Cecilia's notes. "The romance in these things is simply the tacked on ending in my opinion, can take it or leave it." Though considering how much a kiss had confused Cecilia Fabian didn't feel he should comment further on that.

<Fabian> "You know, I've decided that Holden Caulfield is just a poor man's less interesting Meursault. No wonder I don't like the book."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia studied 'The Stranger.' "Algeria, huh? You know I've noticed your interest in North Africa. You're very fond of Moroccan food. Have you been to Marrakech? Or Casablanca?"

<@Cecilia> Ceciia held up the book. "If I get this will you sign the cover so I can remember you gave me this? Well, I'm not going to forget," she clarified. "I just...I dunno. Sentimental, I guess."

<Fabian> "Marrakech and I adored it. We went a few times since it wasn't overly far away...I considered over last summer just saying fuck it to all and settling there instead of coming here."

<Fabian> Sentiment and The Stranger? Now that was a strange combination. "After you've read it you're not going to be weirded out by that, are you?"

<@Cecilia> "Why?" Said Cecilia, looking sad. "Were things really that bad?" She didn't much like the idea of that. "I'm glad you didn't...We'd never have met if you did."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia eyed the book. "Call me crazy. But no. I don't think so." She laughed. "I guess I'm a bit odd, hm?"

<Fabian> "I just hadn't decided what I wanted to do yet. I decided that it was too early for me to even think of settling somewhere though so school over here it was in spite of what it might get me but things've worked out."

<Fabian> He thought about it and shrugged, taking the book and opening the cover. 'This is possibly the worst first gift a girlfriend could get without a heartbeat -Fabian' found itself neatly written along the top.

<@Cecilia> Cecilia read the inscription and smiled brightly. It was obvious that she didn't care at all if it was 'the worst first gift.' This book was going to become one of her favourite posessions. "Thanks, Fabi!"

<@Cecilia> "So wrong, but so right..." she teased.

<Fabian> "You say that now." He just grinned. "Do you have any more books then?"

<@Cecilia> Cecilia nodded, grinning. Pulling out a cheesy romance book. "I had to, I'm sorry," she chortled.

<Fabian> "Oh god, I'm afraid." Fabian picked it up almost as carefully yet repulsed as he had with Catcher in the Rye. "What am I to do with it?"

<@Cecilia> Cecilia was having a lot of trouble controlling her laughter. "Here, give it here," she managed to get out, taking the book back and flipping through the pages.

<@Cecilia> "It was a dark and stormy night..." she began, managing to keep her laughter under control for a few sentences despite the horrific writing before closing the book, her face red. "God, I can't...it's so bad!"

<@Fabian> "So this book's main purpose would be to be cut up for letters if I ever needed to send a ransom note, yes? Or to get drunk and read it over the intercom?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia laughed. "My God, I think everyone in the school would be dumber for having heard it!"

<Cecilia> She set the book aside. "Go on then, wow me with more of your literary treasures that I have not read yet," she grinned.

<@Fabian> Fabian innocently nudged another set over to her. "I might've combed the place for Spanish authors who weren't Cervantes."

<Cecilia> Cecilia picked up one of the books. "I've read this, it was really good," she said, picking out 'Shadow Of The Wind.' "It's even set in Barcelona."

<Cecilia> "I hope I don't build it up too much in my head- I've wanted to go for a long time." She hestitated a moment. "És tan gran com diuen?" She asked, trying to push down her Puerto Rican accent as she formed the words.

<Cecilia> ((Catalan: Is it as great as they say?))

<@Fabian> "I absolutely love that book...and if you liked it you'll want The Angel's Game and The Prisoner of Heaven next to continue the series." He pulled those two out of the stack for her. "You know I'm going to give you a biased answer to that question."

<Cecilia> "So long as you don't give me a dirty joke!" Snorted Cecilia. "I just realized how wrong that sounded."

<Cecilia> She scribbled a note and placed it in the book. 'It is as great as they say.'

<@Fabian> "It would be the same answer either way." He shrugged, happy with that. "I dare say we're going to have to come back and do this again, most of the notes we made are more specificially to one another."

<Cecilia> "Hell, I'd do this again. Only next time we got to put it in the school library. Someday I wanna see someone open a war history book and find one of our notes. Or find out other students have found them after we've left. Our advice would be cherished among generations of mutants!" She smiled at that. She liked the idea of there being more mutants in the world.

<@Fabian> "I look forward to both helping and hindering the rest of the student population with snarky yet insightful notes in all of the books then." Fabian raised one of his books up in a mock toast. "Sounds like a plan."

<Cecilia> Cecilia laughed, then looked a bit thoughtful for a moment. "You know...I was going to kiss you back in the library that day when...everything went to hell," she confided. "I didn't know it then. But looking back I realize I was going to..."

<@Fabian> "I figured." Fabian prodded her shoulder with the book that time. "What can I say, even when things go to hell I'm pretty damned awesome."

<Cecilia> "You took that snow in the face like a champ," she smirked. "I'm sorry I choked...both times."

<Cecilia> She looked at his books. "You want me to sign your book? Just tell me which one."

<@Fabian> "Hmm, which one do you want me to read the most?" He waved his hands over their stack. "When we tell that story to other people...we don't talk about me taking anything in the face like a champ."

<Cecilia> Cecilia snorted and indicated The Chrysalids. "And who will we be telling that story to?" She asked, very curious as to who she would be.

<@Fabian> "People are nosy." He shrugged, taking the book up and passing it over to her. "You've been at this school long enough to know that."

<Cecilia> "Mmhm," said Cecilia, smiling. "Oh I know it. But I don't kiss and tell. You'll find I like to keep some stories just for myself. I'm selfish that way."

<Cecilia> She held the pen to the cover. "Is it bad of me that I kinda want to troll future you and write something incredibly stupid like 'I'm so gay for you' or 'To my little ginger cookie'?" She chuckled, referring to Mayday and her trolling of Fabian awhile ago.

<@Fabian> "...little ginger cookie?" Fabian just looked confused at that, giving Cecilia a very wary eye.

<Cecilia> She didn't. She wrote 'To the man who taught me to say 'YES' instead of 'no.'- Cecilia.' She laughed. "Mayday's got a good sense of humour," she said cryptically, smirking a little.

<@Fabian> "...I'm going to have to talk to her about her and her nickname suggestions." He took the book and stood up, offering an arm. "As the rain has stopped shall we make our way back home?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia took his arm and leaned her head against his shoulder, throwing her back pack over the other shoulder. "Don't be too hard on her. She's just...happy for us. It's not a crime..." she said, gently.

<Cecilia> "You have to admit it's pretty funny," she smiled.

<@Fabian> "Ginger. Cookie."

<Cecilia> "My God. Have I actually found something you hate more than Montague?" She laughed. "I'll never let this go."

<@Fabian> "I'll just see what horrible nickname I can think of to call you." He warned, leading the way up to the counter. "We can both play this game."

<Cecilia> "You'll have to compete with 'new girl', 'psycho' and 'crazy bitch.' That's what most people call me. I doubt you'll be anywhere near as cruel," remarked Cecilia, paying for her share of the books.

<@Fabian> Fabian arched an eyebrow, reaching over and patting her hair. "My darling Puff-puff."

<@Fabian> "Don't challenge me like that, it's going to end badly each time."

<Cecilia> Cecilia's eyelid twitched. " Darling ? Oh hell no ," she said, her voice dropping back into the accent she had a home for a second. "I'll challenge you for the rest of your life. You know you like it," she smirked.

<@Fabian> "Funny, I figured it would be Puff-puff you'd have a problem with." He was a bit proud of the fact he earned her home accent with that, however. "I guess we'll just find out at that, huh?"

<Cecilia> "I'm up to the challenge if you are," said Cecilia, her accent not going away all that quickly. "I hate Puff-puff too, Monty."

<@Fabian> "Then that is a job well done."