4/6 Instance: Making My Cousin Feel Better

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

4/6 Instance: Making My Cousin Feel Better

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

[timeline: current]

Miles: "It was nice of Professor X and some of the others to come..." Miles admitted as they walked out of the cemetery together. "I was hoping some more of my friends from the charter school would show up but,..."

Cecilia: "Why would you invite friends to a funeral?" Cecilia asked, arching an eyebrow. "They didn't know your dad. This kind of thing is a family affair - close family. Why the hell do you think I left Fabian at back home?" She sighed. "It's private."

Cecilia: She cast her eyes over the headstones. Her father had been cremated and his ashes scattered. They hadn't been able to afford a plot and despite the Catholic preference that a person be buried reality had won over.

Miles: "I think our families are different... it's not just a private mourning affair, we wanted to have a celebration of his life. And a lot of them had met him, y'know?" He shook his head. "Whatever, can we just go get ice cream like we had talked about?" He didn't want an argument, not today.

Cecilia: "You can if you like and I'll just watch you," Cecilia said. "Lactose intolerant, remember? Honestly though, I could go for a drink more than candy."

Cecilia: She scanned the streets outside the cemetery. "I wonder if there's anything half decent..."

Miles: "You can get a root beer or something if you'd like... I just really don't want to be around my mom or them right now."

Miles: He looked at her. She looked so unaffected, unbothered. "Are ... are you alright?"

Cecilia: Cecilia gave him a bit of a funny look. "Your father just died and you're asking me?" She laughed a little. "I'm just fine...c'mon we'll see if they have any decent soda then."

Cecilia: With that she walked down the grassy hill towards the streets.

Miles: Miles followed, adjusting his new tie. Normally he would be telling people about how great his tie is, how fly he looked, but at this moment he just wanted to get ice cream and not think for a little bit.

Cecilia: Cecilia strode into the store and eyed the ice cream with distate. This was delicious to most people, but a barf-o-rama for her. "Sweet, Cherry Coke...no wait...there's vanilla too! Dammit, I can't decide."

Miles: "I really want to go to the creamery after this, I'm not a big fan of any of these brands." he tried to sound urgent. "Also, Cherry. Always cherry. And Cherry Pepsi, not Coke."

Cecilia: Cecilia just got a few different kinds, getting a small shopping bags to hold the rest. Fabian might be interested in trying this. No doubt Spain didn't have quite as many flavors. "Right, let's go."

Cecilia: She looked at Miles on the street. She wasn't sure what to say here. She just knew when she'd been through the same thing she'd not really wanted condolences or sympathy or to even talk about what happened, really. But she'd been eleven when her dad died...there was some difference here.

Cecilia: "It gets easier you know," she replied. "At least the guy was caught. You'd think that wouldn't make a difference, but it does. Or at least, I think it would. They never caught the guy that killed my father."

Miles: Miles stayed quiet until they got to the creamery. "How come you never went after him?" he asked, as they went through the doors, the little bell chiming to indicate to the creamery workers a new customer had arrived.

Cecilia: "Never went after who?" Cecilia asked, sipping her coke, thinking about Ed.

Miles: "You never went after the guy who killed your dad?" he asked before leaning forward and ordering two ice creams. "A butter pecan and a black raspberry with chocolate jimmies... yes, thanks."

Cecilia: "No," Cecilia laughed. "Hell no, Miles, I was eleven when he died. I manifested when I was fourteen. What the hell was I supposed to do?"

Cecilia: She sighed and took another sip of her drink. "I wouldn't be opposed to him facing time in jail but he got away. The cops never found him, no matter how much they tried to push me into saying number five in their line-up was him. It wasn't and I wasn't going to condemn a man if I wasn't damn sure he did it."

Cecilia: "But I'm not gonna go looking for him. That's a waste of my time and life. I put that behind me a long time ago, well, as best I could at any rate."

Miles: "Why didn't you go find him? Get a private investigator? I dunno... seems rather open-ended, don't you think?" He shrugged and took a booth, putting one of the ice cream bowls across from him. He stopped Cecilia from sitting there, "Nope. Please, sit next to me."

Miles: He put a spoon in the black raspberry bowl across from him and one in his butter pecan, which he clinked against the edge of the bowl of the black raspberry (as if to say cheers) and began to dig in.

Cecilia: Cecilia just gave him an odd look but didn't argue with seating arrangement, settling herself and her drinks down. "And look for what? Guy's gone Miles, there weren't any cameras in the area at the time, he never got caught. It's over. Lotta murders end that way - unsolved - that's just life."

Cecilia: She frowned. "I wanted to move on...just forget about the whole thing. I did too. I did everything in my power to forget it. While I can't forget some things 'cause of the PTSD though I've made an effort not to think about it. Hell, I never told anyone what happened in detail till last semester. I wanted to keep going. My father died, but I didn't. Life goes on."

Miles: "Life shouldn't be all tragedy. My dad would've told you that. He also would've told you people treat the Nets right, but... whatever."

Miles: He ate some more ice cream and looked up at the slowly melting black raspberry. Sighing heavily, he stuffed a few more spoonfuls into his mouth. "Dad's favorite flavor." he murmured.

Cecilia: "I don't think he was wrong," Cecilia said. "Life's as good or as bad as you make it, to an extent. I have hope for my future but I also like to think I'm realistic. I'm not gonna lie about the gravity of a situation, but I'm not gonna become an emo kid just 'cause my father died. Lotta people lose a parent, hell, Clarice lost both." She sighed. "Sorry, that sounds terrible, but you can appreciate your luck. My mom's still alive."

Cecilia: She eyed the ice cream. "I dunno what my father's favourite was. I don't think he had one. There's a lot of things I can remember about him but some stuff's faded over the years."

Miles: He didn't think comparing situations was the solution, but he didn't fight it. "Maybe you should find out... talk to your family and see if they can give you an idea of the kind of man he was." He finished his butter pecan and looked at the black raspberry. "... I can't eat that."

Cecilia: "Well, don't look at me." Cecilia said. "If I eat that it's gonna come up on the pavement." She sighed. "I don't like to re-hash shit. If it comes up naturally I'm alright with it, but I'm not gonna keep pressing a bruise. They were all hurt as much as I was. I don't wanna remind them of that."

Miles: "Well... I'm going to eat my dad's ice cream." He grabbed the bowl and forced a spoonful in his mouth. His expression contorted. "You're sure they don't want to talk too? Jeez, Catholics man..."

Cecilia: "Are you really sure I wanna talk about it?" Cecilia shook her head. "My mother keeps his things and they all mention him occasionally but for the most part we just let him rest. Notice I've not once spoken his name? There's a reason for that."

Cecilia: "And your mother was almost certainly one at some point if she grew up on the island, it's kinda hard to avoid there."

Miles: "Why do you think she left?" he asked, snorting. "Religious people are silly."

Cecilia: Cecilia's expression darkened. "Oh really. Then I suppose you think I'm silly, then?"

Miles: He thought about it. "Yeah." he said, forcing himself to eat another black raspberry bite. "Let me ask you something, when people go back to their holy scriptures, their churches, they usually have a grimace right?"

Miles: "They're just miserable. Want nothing to do with any of it. They feel forced to go. Now some peopel say it makes them feel good, but that's an obvious cover, they had to suffer a lot to get that point of acceptance. Everyone starts off hating church, be it just a thing they do as kids or throughout life."

Miles: "They force themselves to go, just like I force myself to eat this ice cream. They force themselves to believe something they know has no reasoning or logic, just the way I stomach this nasty, purple-goop." He looked at the trash can and tossed the ice-cream in. "I did that for my dad. I'm never doing it again."

Miles: "Love? That's real. Hard to point to and touch, but it's real. Memories? Real. God? Religion as a whole? Total sham. I'm not going to stomach it no more than I'm going to stomach that goop."

Cecilia: Cecilia shook her head, laughing. "I can't fucking believe this. No, not usually after a certain age. 'Cause by then people have decided whether they wanna continue going or not."

Cecilia: She stood up abruptly. "I stopped going and refused to be confirmed 'cause I was angry. Not 'cause I didn't believe. I don't know what I believe, but I'm not gonna sit here and listen to you spit on something I held sacred for most of my life."

Cecilia: She turned and walked off. "Enjoy the rest of your day."

Miles: He frowned. "You too, bitch." he put on his headphones and walked out the other door, ignoring the scene. Using his web-shot he zipped up to the rooftops and away from her.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS