4/18 Instance: The Bro Code

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

4/18 Instance: The Bro Code

Post by Slarti »

Timelined the day after Blondes Have More Fun

<Cecilia> Cecilia wandered down the hall towards the kitchen. She was still fucking exhausted from the constant patrols despite having a nap but she couldn't justify sleeping more today. She had things to do and the longer she slept the bigger chance she had having a nightmare.

<Cecilia> So, something to eat, then laundry and other shit she needed to do.

<Shaw> Loitering in the rec room was something he hadn't done for many, many years. Though all the furniture had been changed over the years, probably several times due to the destructive nature of the students, everything looked more or less the same.

<Shaw> Sebastian picked up the remote control and flipped on the television, then shrugged to himself and flopped onto the sofa.

<Cecilia> Cecilia hummed a little as she took her beer, sandwich and potato chips into the rec room...only to pause as she came across a very peculiar sight. "Holy shit, so you actually do have casual clothes! Here I thought you slept in your suits and lived in the Hellfire club," Cecilia joked, laughing a little awkwardly as she took a seat. "What brings you here and with a body to boot?"

<Cecilia> Shit...she looked really ghetto with her boots, jeans, the studded cross jewelery and the love/hate bling necklace. Thank Christ she'd put on some eyeliner today...well, at least she hadn't been caught in her sweatpants. This was already embarrassing as it was.

<Shaw> "Well, I confess sometimes I find a quiet corner in the dungeons and hang upside down for a nap." He smirked up at her, not inclined to move from his position, as it turned out the worn sofa was fairly comfortable.

<Shaw> In fact, he kicked his legs up onto the coffee table and crossed them at the ankle. "Am I adorning your sandwich today?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia looked a little confused for a moment but quickly caught on and laughed. "Yes, actually. Well, there is lettuce but it's not the lettuce. That particular one was...unserviceable after that night."

<Cecilia> She sat back, frowning a little. He hadn't answered her question, but she figured that was likely deliberate. So she didn't push. Besides, she had more important things to say. "I...may owe you apology - for how I acted the other night at the club. I swear, if I'd known you were still alive I wouldn't have...well, maybe I would've, I was high..." Shiiiit!

<Cecilia> "The point is, I'm sorry for being so goddamn rude. I...made a bit of a mistake and I apologize, though in my defense I did find your head on the porch, so I was not anticipating your reappearance."

<Shaw> He chuckled at her reaction to the joke, then sat up slightly. "Well, yes, I assumed you were all conducting a little experiment in altered states, which happens with some frequency at the club. Think nothing of it." He waved the remote hand in dismissal.

<Shaw> "However, I believe I owe you an apology as well... at least in the interest of polite discourse. That must have been... traumatic, to say the least."

<Cecilia> Cecilia felt a chill creep into her spine and she couldn't help but think at that moment his eyes looked exactly as they did when they were staring back at her from a decapitated head. "You're apologizing for surviving? What're you Canadian?" She laughed.

<Cecilia> She shrugged dismissively. "I've seen far worse. You're not the first body I've found or seen. Hell, you're not even the first person I've known who was murdered. Comes with the job."

<Shaw> "I'm apologizing for the trauma, my dear." He watched her intently.

<Cecilia> She smiled slightly. "Well, thank you. I appreciate it, but I was alright. Not that it wasn't...a shock," she said diplomatically. "But I was fine. Angel was with me. She helped me with the questioning from the police and everything."

<Cecilia> "We didn't just leave you there," she said suddenly, though she was not entirely sure why. "Well, not you, but you get the idea. I...covered the head. I didn't scream...we didn't let them have any satisfaction from that whole production."

<Shaw> "From what I understand, Angel did enough screaming for the both of you." And she had screamed at him in Italian on the phone the next day as well, enough to make him hesitant to seek her out today.

<Cecilia> "She...had a moment," Cecilia admitted. "But she held herself together pretty well considering the situation. She had more right to be upset."

<Cecilia> She sighed and lay her head on the back of the armchair. "I hear you ran into a friend of mine," she said, her face twisting at the word 'friend.' "One with pink hair...did he survive the fuse box to the face or is he finally dead?"

<Shaw> "Oh, I shall find a way to make it up to her, I'm certain." Sebastian smirked over at her again, pretending to study the buttons on the remote control. "He was alive when I left him. At the time, I was more concerned with escaping than revenge."

<Shaw> His gaze did wander back to her however, curious at her theatrical reaction. "Friend indeed?"

<Cecilia> "Figure of speech," Cecilia said quickly, not really wanting to open that can of worms again. "He used to hang out here. Obviously we weren't aware of his...sickness. Not until it was too late."

<Shaw> "Ah, of course. What better way to locate potential victims." He shook his head, a faint sneer on his face.

<Cecilia> She had hoped he'd be dead...but she should've known better than to hope. The worst ones always lived. She quiet for awhile, eating her lunch and watching Shaw's television program. "Popular Mechanics?" She grinned. "I should've known. Mechanical engineer that you are."

<Shaw> "Popular Mechanics is rather behind, but interesting nonetheless," Sebastian said, flashing Cecilia a toothy grin. "Jessica has offered up some fascinating but too painful for my liking threats should I tinker with her motorcycle."

<Cecilia> "Well they gotta appeal to the less educated crowd too," Cecilia said. "I agree though, it is interesting. I'm a bit of a science channel watcher myself, though my area of obsession lies in the mechanics of the human body."

<Cecilia> Her expression grew a bit displeased at the mention of Jess but she hid it well. "I don't see why that would be a problem. You're an engineer, obviously you can be trusted with such things. That's a shame." She regarded him curiously. "Do you tinker with things a lot then? Or involve yourself in the designs of the things your company manufactures? I imagine as CEO perhaps you aren't as involved in things like that but still..."

<Shaw> "Yes... I share an interest in the mechanics of the body as well." He gave her a playful leer.

<Cecilia> Cecilia coloured slightly, but she was getting used to smarmy guys who treating flirting like a full-time job. "I'll just bet," she said wryly, raising an eyebrow.

<Shaw> That earned her a grin. "I suspect she fears I might forget to put a few bits back, but I assured her if that was the case it would only improve performance." Sebastian dropped the remote onto the cushion beside him. "I do like to tinker, precisely because I'm no longer as involved in the design process. Executive duties are rather tedious, so I try to get into the lab from time to time."

<Cecilia> Cecilia rolled her eyes, wondering if Jess thought the CEO of Shaw Industries - a mechanical engineer - was retarded or if she just had so many trust issues that she couldn't even let an engineer look at her damn bike - what a sad life. "Oh ye of little faith," she deadpanned.

<Cecilia> "That's what I'd be most afraid of - if I were in the position to head my own company, that is - being removed from what I was passionate about in the first place," she admitted. "But I suppose when the choice is having the final say and being a cog in a much larger machine...something has to be sacrificed."

<Shaw> He caught her jab with a smirk and watched her quietly for a moment. "The trick is to have many passions in life." His eyebrow cocked. "Or none."

<Cecilia> Cecilia smirked and steepled her fingers. "Are we talking about work still?" She teased.

<Shaw> "Perhaps." Sebastian licked his lips and looked down, brushing some lint from his jeans. "Though she may not trust me to disassemble her motorcycle for my own curiosity, Jessica's companionship these last weeks has been indispensable to me."

<Cecilia> Christ, what was this shit? Cecilia didn't care to think about Jess that much, she didn't on a regular basis, not unless they were in the same room really. Why was she getting this chat? "Well, everyone needs someone sometimes," she said neutrally. She took a sip of her beer. She could also think of another place where Jess' presence would've been indispensable - on patrol with the rest of the team.

<Cecilia> But her problem was not Shaw's problem. He wasn't Jess' keeper. Bringing that up would be a waste of both their time. "The top of the world tends to be quite lonely," she said. "Strength comes with a price."

<Shaw> He snorted, still watching her. "Indeed. And even more so after a trip to the bottom."

<Cecilia> Cecilia just regarded him back, meeting his gaze fairly easily. Blue eyes, similar to someone she was deeply fond of. "Has facing your death got you thinking about your life?" She smiled warmly, "It's not so surprising. I had the same feeling when it happened to me. It...changed me."

<Shaw> Sebastian smirked. "Perhaps." Sitting up, he glanced toward the door. "It has certainly given me more to think about."

<Cecilia> Cecilia caught the glance towards the door. Of course, there were always more interesting people than her. Or better things to do. "Making sure your jealous lovers aren't behind you?" She teased. "Or am I keeping you from something?"

<Shaw> "In fact, I'm waiting for Jessica." He smirked.

<Cecilia> "Ah," Cecilia said, taking her sandwich and chewing it thoughtfully. "...Forgive me, but this isn't my favourite topic of conversation." She hadn't wanted it to come to this, but she didn't want to keep hearing about it really.

<Shaw> "Of course," he said, smirk still firmly in place. This was rather entertaining after all. More so than Popular Mechanics.

<Cecilia> "...you're not agreeing with me, are you?" Cecilia teased. "I thought you just said her company was indispensable."

<Shaw> "It is, to me, but as my sex life is not your favorite topic of conversation I thought I'd spare you the details." He tilted his head. "Unless you would like them, of course."

<Cecilia> "I wasn't referring to your sex life when I said that," Cecilia confirmed, still eating her sandwich, though her face was slightly red again. "Though it's really none of my business." She just laughed at his next offer. "I think I'll stick with my imagination, thank you."

<Shaw> "Oh, so do you often imagine this then?" He sat up and leaned forward, lips curled, forearms on his knees.

<Cecilia> "Do you want me to?" Cecilia countered. She didn't really, but this was sort of funny.

<Shaw> "Well, we wouldn't want to make Cortez jealous, now would we?" Funny indeed.

<Cecilia> "Actually I think you've just made him a very happy man," Cecilia admitted. She studied her beer and sipped it. "Some jealousy is healthy. If he felt nothing I'd be concerned, though there's nothing to be jealous about."

<Shaw> He gave her a dirty grin. "Nothing at all, to be sure."

<Cecilia> Cecilia just smiled back, cat-like.

<Cecilia> "If you'd like I can grab another beer for while you wait," she offered. "Or whatever poison you prefer. If you're stuck here waiting for Jess you might as well, right?"

<Shaw> "A beer would be delightful," he smirked. "Thank you." With another glance toward the door, he sat back and sighed. "It would seem she might be a while after all. You women... rather slow in getting ready, though the end result is always worth the wait."

<Cecilia> Cecilia was out and back with another corona shortly. "You're welcome and a woman getting ready is a painstaking and delicate process - much like painting the Golden Gate Bridge or chipping away rock to make the Sphinx - it's nice that someone appreciates it." She flopped down on the couch a small distance away from him and offered him the bowl of chips.

<Shaw> That made him laugh as he took the beer and settled back into the sofa. "Well put, my dear," he said, holding out the bottle to her in toast.

<Cecilia> Cecilia clinked her bottle with his, smiling. "Where're you from again? It's not New York, I can tell by your accent. The obituary didn't say."

<Shaw> "The obituary," he snorted, taking a sip. "Pittsburgh." Sebastian watched her from the corner of his eye, well aware his accent had little to do with Pennsylvania either.

<Cecilia> "My condolences," she said, chuckling. Wondering if he'd get the joke. "I'm from the Bronx, you can probably tell, but I was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. So the rumours that I'm from Africa aren't true."

<Shaw> "Hence why I've worked rather hard to overcome my accent," he responded. "Either Africa or Puerto Rico are more exotic origins than I can claim."

<Cecilia> "What's wrong with Pittsburgh? Other than the name, I mean. Or Pennsylvania for that matter?" Cecilia asked. She snorted at 'exotic.' "I'm not exotic, I'm a slumdog. I was born in the La Perla slum, it's notorious for gangs and drug running. That rumour is completely true."

<Shaw> "Oh, nothing I suppose, for most, though it's entirely too close to Appalachia." He took another sip of beer and glanced at her. "Humble beginnings can simply make the drive to succeed even stronger."

<Cecilia> Cecilia sucked her teeth. "Too close to Appalachia, as if the ground you were born on or walk on shapes who you are. Lines exist only in our minds and in immigration offices." She smiled at him. "Any advice for someone who's started out that way and thoroughly doesn't know her place?"

<Shaw> "Not knowing your place is a good start already, Cecilia," he said with a grin, taking one of those chips.

<Cecilia> "No 'Miss Reyes,' Sebastian?" She said, quirking an eyebrow.

<Shaw> "I do believe we're a bit beyond that now, wouldn't you agree?" He smirked, biting the chip in half.

<Cecilia> "Be careful," she said wryly. "People'll talk and I don't really enjoy getting punched in the face - though it happens more than I'd care to say."

<Shaw> Her comment and the implications made him chuckle as he finished the chip. "I would say I would be more likely to receive that honor, but Fabian knows better."

<Cecilia> "Fabian knows best - about me that is." Cecilia said, lifting a finger philosophically. "Better than anyone, maybe even myself."

<Cecilia> She just laughed. "So many said that, but one person has that honour. So...you do the math."

<Shaw> "Well then, Fabian is quite the lucky man." He smiled, taking a pull from the bottle to think about that.

<Cecilia> "He is," Cecilia agreed. "And I'm a lucky woman. It's not often you find someone who's your match in life. An equal and opposing force. But I have."

<Jessica> "Lucky for what now?" Jess appeared in the doorway with her bag - including her tattered back pack - and her plush spider.

<Cecilia> Cecilia turned slightly. "Hey, Jess. Would you care to join us?" She grinned widely.

<Jessica> "I... um... join you for what?" she cast her eyes around the room taking in Sebastian's relaxed appearance, the beer, and the show on the television.

<Cecilia> "Don't be so hesitant, I'm not gonna bite," Cecilia chuckled, watching her take in the surroundings. "Sebastian and I were just having a nice chat."

<Shaw> He took in the spider with a raised eyebrow. "Cecilia has been kind enough to keep me company during your absence."

<Cecilia> "I don't know if kind's the word," Cecilia said, raising an eyebrow. "I come to the club all the time, it'd be rude to not say hello while you're here."

<Cecilia> "But thank you."

<Jessica> "Oh..." she put her bags down by the door and headed over to join him on the sofa, bringing the spider with her. "That was nice of her."

<Shaw> He sat up to make room for her, then changed his mind and pulled her into his lap. Spider.

<Jessica> She made a small sound of surprise at being pulled into his lap but laughed and made herself comfortable, leaning against him.

<Cecilia> She eyed Jess' bags. "So I guess I shouldn't expect you out on patrol with the rest of us then, should I?" Cecilia took in the lap cuddle with a great deal of amusement. "I don't suppose I could convince you to spend some time out there? We're stretched thin as it is and with you gone all last week it's just been that much harder."

<Jessica> She rolled her eyes. "I told you. Call me if you have any leads and I'll come. I'm not doing anything else. So you can stop trying to guilt trip me."

<Shaw> He slid his arm around her waist, taking a sip of the beer.

<Cecilia> Cecilia frowned. "So I should do all the work and then you come in to reap the benefits?" She shook her head. "I think not."

<Shaw> "I was unaware you operated on a point system," he said, tilting his head.

<Jessica> "Well fine then you can't need my help that much." She folded her arms loosely over Sebastian's. "So stop bitching about it."

<Cecilia> "Not really," she said to Shaw. "More we operate as a team with everyone pitching in and pulling their weight - unfortunately, as of late - we've been under some strain due to lack of manpower. We're on constant patrol, almost every day I have a shift. We're reaching the end game here."

<Cecilia> Cecilia raised an eyebrow at the 'bitching.' "I am 'bitching about it' 'cause I don't appreciate being left to do all the work while you do whatever it is you do and you can bet there're plenty of other people on the team who don't either. It's beyond unprofessional, Jess."

<Jessica> "Well you know what. It's not my job. I don't get paid to be an X-man. It's voluntary. And I'm not volunteering for any more trauma. I'm allowed to take time out to preserve my sanity, thank you very much for caring."

<Cecilia> Cecilia's expression darkened. "No-one is doing well right now. We're all traumatized but we're all still looking for John and Jamie. I'm struggling with my PTSD and it's not my job either but somehow I managed to rise to the occasion."

<Jessica> "Well that's lovely but everyone deals with things differently, Cecilia, and you can't expect everyone to deal with it the same way as you. And you have absolutely no right to bully anyone into it!"

<Cecilia> "Don't. Shout. At. Me." Cecilia said carefully and precisely. "It's incredibly rude."

<Jessica> "And what you're doing isn't?" Jess raised an eyebrow in challenge.

<Shaw> "Well... as an interested outsider, I would suggest if it's an issue, it should be taken up with your leadership instead of arguing amongst yourselves."

<Cecilia> "What - telling you like it is? That's not being rude, that's being truthful. If it hurts, well, that's just life." Cecilia sighed, obviously she'd get no defense here. There was another party here with interests that didn't coincide with her or the team's. "You're right," she said to Shaw. "And I'm sure they'll say it's all voluntary, but of course, it'll be remembered."

<Jessica> "Oh just stop! Leave me alone! I don't have to put up with this." She got to her feet. "And you wonder why I don't want to be around here. I'm sick to death of being judged by you people."

<Cecilia> Cecilia stood up, she was done here. She'd washed her hands of this woman - complete waste of space that she was. "Save your energy, you'll need it. Sebastian, it was lovely speaking with you but I have some things to take care of. I hope your resurrection continues to be delightful."

<Shaw> "Have a good day, and thank you for the conversation... it was most enlightening." He smirked, watching the two women.

<Cecilia> Cecilia's lips quirked up mischievously. "If you thought that was something you should've seen us with the jello last semester," she said wryly.

<Jessica> "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Jess glared at Cecilia for her energy comment.

<Cecilia> "Jess isn't a fan of jello," she informed him.

<Shaw> His eyebrow quirked. "Jello, indeed?" Oh my. He suppressed the smirk.

<Cecilia> "Yellow jello in an Olympic sized swimming pool," Cecilia laughed. "Courtesy of Fabian and John. It was hell for them to clean up but it was fun to jump on."

<Shaw> Oh, so this was what he was funding? He snickered.

<Cecilia> Cecilia raised an eyebrow at Jess. "That you shouldn't waste your time shouting at me."

<Jessica> "Well obviously not because you never bloody listen anyway. Nothing matters to you except your own bullheaded opinion and damn anyone else's feelings because you're the only one that matters to you." She headed for her bags.

<Shaw> Well, since it appeared they were leaving, Sebastian got up smoothly. "Cecilia," he nodded at her, a smile tugging the corners of his mouth.

<Cecilia> "Nice of you to notice," Cecilia said flatly to Jess. "I care about plenty of people, but it's wise to give the most shits about yourself. But you already know that, don't you?"

<Jessica> "I'm all I have!" She snatched up her things and shot Cecilia another tearful glare before heading out into the hallway.

<Cecilia> She inclined her head towards Shaw. "Sebastian." And with Jess storming out she took her leave. "Enjoy the rest of your day," she said to him. "If I haven't single handedly wrecked it, of course. Nos veremos de nuevo!"

<Cecilia> ((Spanish: I'll see you again!))

<Shaw> He watched Jessica go with raised eyebrows and looked back to Cecilia, then finished off his beer. "In tempi migliori con la speranza." Helpfully, he handed her the empty bottle before he followed Jessica. ((In better times, with hope.))

<Cecilia> Cecilia stared down at the bottle then tossed it in the recycling bin along with her own with a basketball dunk.