4/23 Instance: Memorabilia

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

4/23 Instance: Memorabilia

Post by Ferguson »

Timelined after La Muerta

<Cecilia> Cecilia winced at the stitches holding together the fingers on her right hand - they were still somewhat numb, but they were slowly regaining feeling, thank God. She sighed and lay back on the bed. McCoy had put her through another battery of tests, as well as a scolding, when she'd come down this morning and told him she'd passed out after she'd left the medlab last night.

<Cecilia> She looked at her watch. 9 AM. The train was in a few hours so they should have enough time to catch that despite the extraordinary length of time this was taking.

<Miles> Miles knocked on the glass of the medlab and waved to her, hoping she wasn't in such a foul mood that she would turn him down. He held up the (poorly) wrapped birthday present just in case.

<Cecilia> Cecilia's eyes drifted to Miles and the very beaten up package he was holding. "What's the occasion?" She said hoarsely, sitting up a little to get a better look.

<Miles> "... Your birthday?" he said flatly, coming through the door. "You know, that time when we celebrate you being in our lives?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia blinked. "Oh yeah...I keep forgetting that's today..." she admitted, face falling. "It doesn't feel like there's a lot to be happy about."

<Miles> "Well... you can celebrate the fact that my science project kept from me joining you guys on the mission." He admitted glumly.

<Cecilia> "It was probably best you didn't come...Venom killed Kraven and then he..." she blinked a few times, trying to recall exactly what it was that happened between him tearing apart Kraven and running off. "Something...I can't remember..."

<Cecilia> She shook her head. "Anyway, it wasn't a good scene. Mel was badly injured - legs and arms torn right off. I was swarmed and accused of being a cannibal and I found the Quent guy I made friends with under a pile of corpses. Apparently he outlived his usefulness...so yeah, that was my shitcake."

<Miles> He reached for a hug and kissed her on the cheek. "It's fine... it's over now. And I have a gift for you."

<Cecilia> Cecilia raised her eyebrows. "Is it a book on 'How to Lose Friends and Alienate People'?" She said wryly, lips turning up a little. She tore the wrapping paper.

<Miles> "No... that's a movie, already. And a book I think too. But no, this is better than that." He smiled, hoping she didn't' scream too loudly.

<Cecilia> Cecilia ripped off the last of the wrapping. "Oh my God..." she said, looking at the double picture frame. On the left was a very old, very faded photograph of two boys in their early teens - one taller with an angular face, jet black hair and a wide grin and the other shorter with brown hair, sad almond shaped eyes and crooked smile - and a slightly younger girl with dark hair.

<Cecilia> On right was a picture of her and Miles, a very recent photograph by the looks of things. "This," she said, pointing to the older picture. "This is my uncle and my father...Oh my God...I've never...I've only seen a few pictures of him at that age. His parents destroyed everything when they disowned him."

<Cecilia> "Is that your mom?" She asked. "That's Pelar, right?"

<Miles> Miles nodded. "Yeah, mom was digging through photos to find old wedding pictures of her and my dad for his funeral. She found these, so I asked her to set 'em aside so I could give them to you for your birthday. There's a few others. One of him very small, holding a toad, and licking it." He pointed to the back of the frame, indicating that it came off to reveal others.

<Cecilia> Cecilia blinked back tears as she looked through photograph after photograph. "I knew they had a lot of family..." she said, indicating the multiple cousins in the photographs. "I saw a few when I was very little but they wouldn't talk to us. I think they were afraid of her," she said, pointing to a Latina woman in a photo with long curls. "That's my abuela."

<Miles> "Well, I'm glad you like it cousin." He said happily. "I've also decided something..." he sat down on the edge of her bed and took her hand. "And it's sort of a big decision and I'd like your support on it."

<Cecilia> "Oh God, you're not coming outta the closet are you?" Cecilia joked weakly. "Seriously, why does everyone come out to me? I know I have....what, four LGBT friends, but that doesn't make me tolerant or nothing!" She laughed. "Okay...I'm listening."

<Miles> He frowned. "... No, I'm not coming out to you. Cecilia, seriously. This is a big deal. I've... I decided to leave XU."

<Miles> "I'm going to go do something for myself, leave the X-Men. I love you guys and this school, but it's not for me. I'm outta here. I'm going to go make my dad proud, go do the vigilante thing somewhere else and then contribute to the real world with a real job."

<Miles> "I'm dropping out."

<Cecilia> Cecilia blinked. "I..." she opened her mouth and closed it a few times. "...I wasn't expecting that!"

<Cecilia> She looked him, concerned. "Are you sure that's what you want, Miles?"

<Miles> "Absolutely. I don't fit in here. I'm... it's not even that I'm too young. I'm not one of you guys. I don't handle tragedy well, I don't handle personal tragedies well. So rather than let this place poison me any further, I'm going to leave before I die and cause more damage to my mom or you." He shrugged. "Never know, maybe I'll be back."

<Miles> "I'd like to come back, when I feel ready. Not right back, not to where I was when I left, but I'd like to finish school here. And maybe make my way back onto the team. If I can. I'm more concerned with finishing my life though, before saving everyone else's." Miles squinted to see if he could judge her reaction.

<Miles> "That sound okay?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia nodded, some tears coming to her eyes. "I understand...things haven't been good lately...it's been really rough for awhile now for a lot of people...hell and I wasn't even here for the Apocalypse thing!" She laughed. "You'll...you'll be careful, right? Out there, I mean. It's...it's a hard world."

<Miles> "It'll be fine." he said, reassuringly. He felt a tear come as well and reached for a hug with his cousin and friend. "Everything will be fine."

<Cecilia> She nodded and sniffed, giving him a squeeze. "Don't be a stranger, alright?" She said, breaking away after awhile. She smiled at the picture frame, "It's a great gift, Miles. I loved my father so much...but sometimes...I forget what he looked like," she admitted sadly. "I was eleven when he died. These kinds of things are all I have left...thank you for it."

<Miles> Miles couldn't help but smile through the streaming tears. "I know, and on your birthday, after everything that's happened, you deserve such a great gift. I'm glad I could find those for you." Sniffling, he chuckled at how ridiculous he looked.

<Miles> "I don't really want a bunch of good-byes... I'm still trying to get over how upset I am my personal hero is gone... so, I think I'm just gonna leave tonight. Okay?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia nodded. "I don't like goodbyes either..." she said, sniffing a little. "I understand and I'm so sorry I didn't...that I couldn't bring John home. I am."

<Miles> "It's not your fault." he shook his head furiously. "It's on Rott and the others, that has nothing to do with you. You're... you did everything you could."

<Cecilia> "Thanks," Cecilia said hoarsely. "That means a lot, really...some don't appreciate it as much as you." She smiled shakily. "So, since I hate goodbyes, I'll see you around, yeah?"

<Miles> "Sure." he said, hoping it wasn't a lie. "I hope you all will. Hey, for 4th of July, I'll try to come out, huh?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia nodded. "If I'm back from Puerto Rico by then, yeah, come on by." She waved, smiling a little better now. "I hope everything works out for you!"

<Miles> "Me too." He got up and pecked her on the head. "Bye, Cee." He waved and walked out of the lab, up the steps, picked up his three duffel bags, and left through the two large main doors of XU. With a sigh of relief, he waved to the building and stepped out into the night.

<Miles> The chirpy crickets filled the evening air with their screechy song and he walked the brick path from the campus to the exit-gate for the last time.

<Cecilia> Cecilia watched him go, wondering if she too should get up and leave now - quit while she was still ahead and alive - but snorted at this thought a second later. She wasn't going anywhere and she knew it. She'd come too far to throw it all away now, this life was too extraordinary to leave and one thing she'd always wanted was to be extraordinary.  

<Cecilia> "Nos veremos de nuevo," she said, laying her head back on the pillow. She would be, she would be extraordinary and one day everyone would see her and know that they had been wrong about Cecilia Reyes. That they had been wrong about everything.

<Cecilia> ((Spanish: I'll see you again))