4/24 Instance: Sweet Home Sleepy Hollow

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

4/24 Instance: Sweet Home Sleepy Hollow

Post by Starfish »

Timeline: Sometime after "New Kids on the Block".

Jonas: Jonas licked the ice cream while they walked. "I know it's supposed to be cold outside today... but the sun is killing me, aren't you hot?" he asked. He had his leather jacket hung over his shoulder as he gave the stinkeye at a couple who walked past them.

Cassie: "I'm freezing," the raven-haired girl replied, having spurned the promise of the ice cream in favour of a large mug of coffee - black, strong, and smoking hot. Cradling it between her fingers, she raised it to her lips to take another careful sip. "Is the sun supposed to feel cold on the skin?"

Jonas: "You kidding me, right? I feel like I need some kind of lotion just walking here." Jonas said, then rubbed the back of his hand against his jeans. "Plus I'm itchy... Hope I'm not allergic to ice cream now... think I always liked ice cream." he added, scratching his forehead and adjusting his hat.

Cassie: I feel as if it's leeching the warmth right out of my body." Reaching for her hat as well, she pulled the brim deeper into her face. "There's cold sweat running down my back and my legs won't stop shaking." She gave Jonas a sideways look through squinted eyes. "Have you always looked to hazy?"

Cassie: "Do you think I may have caught something?" She tried to look where they were going, but the sun's rays bathed everything in a blinding glare. "I feel like death is finally catching up with me."

Jonas: "That doesn't sound good." Jonas said, looking very concerned at Dusk. "Maybe we should find a place to sit down... out of this sun." he added, dropping his icecream in the trashbin they were passing. He took his jacket and hung it around he shoulders, "Wow, you are cold. By any chance know of any good places to stay until you feel better?" he asked, looking around them as they got to a corner. He squinted and looked around again.

Cassie: She forced herself to raise her gaze, even though even the indirect sunlight was almost too much. "I feel like I should remember this place," she remarked, a frown on her face. "Have you ever tried recalling someone's name, but it just keeps on slipping away every time you come close?"

Cassie: "This corner store..." Her voice was a hushed mutter, coming from the distant places her mind currently occupied. "I always bought sweets there as a little child."

Jonas: Jonas looked at the store and cocked his head to the side. "Funny... I could have sworn this place was newly opened... yeah, there used to be this old building here, but it was torn down... and this jewish guy opened this store here." Jonas looked around again, "I think... yeah, I think I know where I grew up."

Cassie: All discomfort fell off her for a brief moment, and she turned towards Jonas to beam an excited grin. "You do?" she asked, sounding genuinely thrilled. "That's fantastic! Perhaps we weren't strolling so aimlessly, after all." Taking his hand, she quickened her step. "Come on, maybe we find your home!"

Jonas: "Wait, no, I think it's this way." Jonas said, pulling back and redirecting Dusk. "Yeah, that's familiar, and that place there as well.... not that place though." he said, as they passed a Starbucks. "Come on, I think it's just a couple more blocks down this way."

Cassie: She had to hold on to her hat when Jonas quickened the pace, dragging the befuddled girl behind himself. "I hope you know where you're leading us, because I'm blind as a bat back here." Eyes almost squeezed shut, she tried to recognize the stores, houses, and streets they walked past. "I think down there I stole an apple once."

Jonas: "That's not supposed to be a grocer, that's supposed to be a clothing store." Jonas replied. He came to a quick halt, and stumbled a little when Dusk went into him. "Uhh... now I'm a little confused... I think we must have passed... this way." he pulled her along again.

Cassie: Having lingered to squint through the windows of a familiar looking book store, she almost stumbled off her feet when he suddenly pulled her another way. "I can barely see where I'm going, any my guide is lost," she remarked, while trying to keep up. "I have a feeling we may end up anywhere and nowhere."

Jonas: "Nu-huh, I know where I'm going... I'm sure of it." He said, but felt confused. He could have sworn they were going the right way, but then suddenly he didn't recognize any of the buildings. He stopped and back tracked, then stopped again and looked around. "Here.... it's here... supposed to be here." he said, pointing at a dilapidated building that had police tape on the doors and boarded up windows. "Where's my house?" he asked, now feeling a little panicky.

Cassie: "Perhaps it moved to a better neighborhood," she joked, looking cheeky with that smile across her face. Shielding her eyes from the sun, she looked down one way of the street, then the other, and finally at the ruined building in front of him. "A lot of things seem to have changed since you've last been here..."

Jonas: "Yeah..." Jonas didn't know why he was so sad, especially for a house that he can barely remember, much less who else lived inside of it. After a while he took a breath and exhaled, "Come on, let's find a place for you to get better." he said sullenly. "You remember where you-". His sentence got cut off as a large, black van stopped right in front of them.

Cassie: Loud music was the first thing to come out when the doors opened, soon followed by one burly guy after the other, each doing his best to look cooler and more menacing than the rest. The sight brought an exhilarated grin to the girl's face. "Oh, look, it's the street clowns again," she exclaimed. "And they brought their own clown car this time."

Jonas: Jonas was not in the mood. He clenched his fists before holding up a hand, "Look, I already beat your friends up last time... him included." he said pointing at the one guy with the bruised face. "I'm not in the mood to do it again, leave now, or I'll kick your behinds across town."

Jonas: The threat didn't do anything except make the bruised guy pause for a moment, while the rest advanced on Jonas and Dusk. "Fine, you asked for it." he said, making a fist, and giving the front guy the hardest punch Jonas could manage. "Ow," the pale pointy eared mutant said, cradling his hand.

Cassie: "Now don't say you broke a nail," Dusk commented, watching from the sidelines as the angry pack of mean looking thugs moved in to surround Jonas. For now, she went mostly ignored. A fact which made her put on an irritated expression and hold up her hands. "Hey, what's with the machismo?" she demanded to know.

Cassie: "My friend here may have an excuse to be old school, but since when are thugs these days scared of hitting a girl?" With a taunting look on her face, she crossed her arms in front of the chest.

Jonas: Jonas tried hitting them again, and again, and the only one he was able to hurt was himself. "Grab him." said the one guy. THe two behind Jonas each grabbed an arm, while the three in front of Jonas started taking turns using the pale mutant as a punching bag.

Cassie: "And someone shut up his little tramp already," the same guy added, pointing straight at her, which caused Dusk to look left and right over her shoulder. "What tramp are you talking about?" she asked, faking a puzzled look, even when two weasely looking guys moved in on her.

Cassie: The excited grin found its way back onto her face, and she raised her eyebrows. "Ooh, you want to play some more, yes?" She sidestepped them as they tried to grab her arms, relying on her grace and lithe form to slip out of reach.

Cassie: "Well, If you insist, I shall give you that encore," she said, bringing up her arms to strike out with the darkness she commanded. Except that instead of forming powerful limbs, the shadows wilted like dead flowers in the sun.

Jonas: "This is too easy," said the one guy, already getting tired punching Jonas, who was struggling to stand, blood dripping from his nose and mouth. "Can't believe this was the guy that beat the shit outta you," the same thug said, now looking at the bruised guy.

Jonas: "Man, he wasn't like this, I'm telling you. He was like kung fu fighting jackie chan style, you know, making things look easy and shit." Came the reply, which only caused an outburst of laughter from the others.

Jonas: Jonas, on the other hand, was panicking and in pain, unsure how he was able to have beaten people up, but now could barely hit someone properly. "Dusk," he managed to say before he got punched in the gut.

Cassie: "No worries, I've got this," she assured him, not sounding confident, at all. The girl barely managing to stop the advancing man by creating a black sphere to protect herself. He pushed and punched, and before long, tears and holes appeared in the dark shield. Its edges frayed out, seemingly dissolving under the merciless rays of the sun.

Cassie: "Not pulling any tricks today, aren't you, witch?" the taller of the two men teased, grabbing her wrists from behind. Inky tendrils swarmed across her arms, curling around the offender's hands, but their struggle was as desperate and weak as hers. "Ready for your spanking, little girl? We'll teach you for trying to play games with the big boys."

Jonas: "Dusk!" Jonas yelled out, spitting blood at the guy in front of him. He struggled a little before the guys propped him up again for another couple of punches. "My knuckles are getting tired punching him." said the one guy before the other took over, "Yeah, let's get them out of here before the cops get here." said another.

Cassie: "Working on it, but this is a slippery one," the one holding Cassie said, having his hands full with the girl trying to squirm out of his grip. "Uhm, just one second," Dusk called back, kicking the second guy into the groin as he moved in to help restrain her. He bent over with a groan. "Dammit, she's just a kid! Get her in the van already!"

Cassie: Liquid shadow curled through the air, forming chaotic patterns as Dusk pushed the constructs to lash out, only to have them arc away from the bright light ineffectively. "Gah!" She hit something, after all, a black hook catching the man behind her in the inside of his cheek.

Cassie: Much kicking and flailing later, they ended up carrying the struggling girl to the van, veritably pushing her through the open door. "Nooo, I don't want to go to school yet," she complained, holding on to the frame.

Jonas: Jonas couldn't struggle anymore, he was just dragged along the ground. It only took one guy to pick him up and throw into the van, landing against Cassie. "Unmngfnm..." he managed to say.

Cassie: The gang of thugs quickly climbed back into the van and took their seats in a circle around the two pale kids, lying in heap on the floor of the vehicle. As they closed the door and took off with screeching wheels, she managed to raise her head and offer him a cheeky little smirk. "Nice to meet you here," she said. "Going in the same direction?"

Cassie: "Laugh as much as you can now, little girl," one of the large man said, leaning forward to give her an upside down look. "I can promise you won't get any chance for it later."

Jonas: In the shade of the van's interior, Jonas felt like he could breathe a little better. He was able to open his eyes a little more and focus on to the people around him. His one hand shifted a little to hold on to Dusk, his head leaning into her as well. "...scared..." he breathed out in a whisper.

Cassie: As the men laughed around them, warmth flowed back into her body. With the light of the sun blocked out, she found her vigor restored underneath the dark's comforting blanket. Looking up, she found the small raven perched on the headrest above. Haven't you lingered enough? the question echoed in her mind.

Cassie: Come now, it's time to continue our journey. A faint smile on her lips, she responded with a slight nod, before looking back at Jonas. "There is no reason so be," she assured him, her smile and voice comforting. "What do you say, shall we take our leave now?"

Jonas: Jonas clutched tighter on Dusk's arm, and managed a smile, all his teeth discolored red with blood. He felt a reassuring coolness from her, creeping up his wrist and up his arm, he felt the tickle crawl down his back and legs.

Cassie: "Gentlemen, it's been really fun, but I'm afraid we can't stay for the tea." What she said was directed at the mean men around them, looking confused for a moment and apparently trying to decide whether they should love at the girl or not. "Alas, we have places to be, so... tah da!"

Cassie: Bidding her farewell with a mischievous grin, an instant later it became hidden behind a flowing black curtain, the shadows drawing near from every corner. Once they dispersed, the strange girl and her pale companion had vanished.

Jonas: It felt like an embrace, all around him. It was only for a small moment, but any moment being surrounded by pure pitch black darkness, was a moment of blissful exhilaration. By the time he opened his eyes, he was clutching on to Dusk, the taste of blood lessened in his mouth, and the throbbing pain all over his body having subsided to a memory.

Cassie: The endless sea of darkness welcomed her back like an old friend, and the moment she felt its familiar embrace, she knew that something important, something vital, had returned to her life. She basked in the sensation as long as it would last, which was brief enough, before the world was unveiled once more.

Cassie: At first, the surge of light blinded and blurred her vision, but the tall, gnarled tree underneath which they stood cast its protective shadow over them. Gradually her senses regained their clarity - as did something in her mind. As the old house and its untended garden was revealed to her, a stunned look froze on her face.

Jonas: Jonas took a deep and much relieved breath, before he pushed himself up, cringing a little at the slight pain here and there. "Where are we?" he asked., staring at the house.

Cassie: Where we wanted to be, the little black bird perched on her shoulder whispered in her mind. "A place like no other to me," she told Jonas, an ethereal smile playing across her lips. "This is where I grew up... I'm home."