5/19 Instance: Canadian Politeness

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

5/19 Instance: Canadian Politeness

Post by Ferguson »

Current Timeline

<Walt> Walt grunted as he hefted all his worldly possessions over his shoulder and trudged down the hall towards his dorm room. It was late in the afternoon, he was dog tired and he was ready to set all of this junk down.

<Walt> Why did I think taking the train all the way from Alberta to New York was a good idea? He thought as he fumbled through his pockets for his room key, balancing his things precariously. Other than the fact I couldn't afford it. Life was so unfair.

<Fabian> Fabian, meanwhile, was all ready in the room with his computer playing music, door open and just enjoying an amusing move in day. It was mainly amusing because he had discovered that he had one of the most annoying songs saved for the flight and now was blasting through the school.

<Fabian> "This is fucking awesome." He sang along amusingly to himself as he hoped Cee could hear it on her end of the school and scowl.

<Walt> Walt hmphed as he realized belatedly that the door was already open...and what the heck was that awful music? It was rap...and not good rap either. That must be his roommate then. He sighed, steeled himself and opened the door.

<Fabian> Drinking from the bottle Lukas had produced when he went to see where his room was, Fabian turned and raised it to Walt. "Hello, new Sean, you're less ginger than original Sean, this is probably a good thing."

<Walt> Walt blinked behind his thick glasses. Not entirely sure how to respond to that or the fact that his roommate was drinking alcohol straight from the bottle. "...I'm sorry?"

<Fabian> "Are you?" Fabian looked confused at that before he held out the bottle. "Would you care to join me in starting the karaoke night buzz early?"

<Walt> That...was a good question, actually. "Um..." He had no idea what to say to that. So he just moved onto the next question. "No, thanks. I don't - well, I can't drink."

<Walt> He looked at the empty side of the room. "Uh...can I come in? You're Fabian, right?"

<Fabian> "That's depressing. I'll do it for you and sing extra because of it." He took another drink before setting the bottle on his dresser. "And yes, that would be me, Walt, right? It's your room, I don't give you invitations, yes?"

<Walt> "Err...no, I guess not." Technically he didn't, but Walt was used to living in a youth shelter where he was the mutie and everyone therefore had precedence over him. He had been waiting to see if this guy would assert his dominance over him and give him the usual 'don't touch my stuff or I'll kill you' talk.

<Walt> Apparently this wasn't going to happen though... that was a nice change. "Yeah, I'm Walt," he said, dropping his gym bag and guitar case onto the floor before flopping on the bed. "Nice to meet you."

<Fabian> This one seemed like a twitchy one. Fabian didn't know quite how he was going to live with some twitchy guy after living with Sean who's secondary mutation may as well have been mellowness. "It's a pleasure." That worked both ways, actually, which is pretty much on purpose.

<Fabian> "You pack light or is this the first round?"

<Walt> "...I'm sorry?" Walt said, a little confused. "Oh! Uh, no... this is everything I own." He looked over at Fabian's side of the room. There was a lot more stuff. Expensive stuff too. Obviously his roommate was quite privileged.

<Walt> He sat there awkwardly for a long while, trying to think of something to say. "So...you're not Hispanic." GOD! Did he actually say that out loud?!

<Fabian> "It's everything you need then, huh?" Fabian shrugged that all off as he wouldn't be bothered by such things. The following question earned a good, sharp laugh from him, however. "I'm from Barcelona."

<Walt> "Oh..." Walt studied his roommate. He thought Spanish people looked Mediterranean looking. This guy was pretty pale and he had red hair. If it weren't for the accent he would've thought he was an American. "I'm from Edmonton," he offered. "That's in Alberta...uh, in case you've never heard of it."

<Walt> "Y'know...Canada."

<Fabian> "Don't worry, I did study geography enough to be able to figure that much out. Canada's pretty hard to miss...although I'm afraid I can't think of anything too exciting about Alberta so there's that." Fabian moved to his closet to start putting away his shoes.

<Walt> "Well...it's not," Walt admitted, watching Fabian put things away into his closet. He had really nice clothes - tailored it looked like - with lots of bright colours. Shiny shoes, too. Oh...his roommate was gay then. Hm. "There's the Calgary Stampede and Banff -" he cut himself off there. "I liked it."

<Fabian> "Well hey, as long as a place is entertaining." Fabian admitted though he was pretty sure things sounded pretty dull on that end. "I've stuck with here so far so it's not gotten boring by any means yet."

<Walt> "I like the property," he admitted. "It's quiet out here...it's nice not to wake up to the sound of somebody's leaf-blower and that lake...." He smiled to himself. "Bet I could get some fishing done there before the summer ends."

<Walt> "I thought living here would be really terrible but so far it looks okay...there's not too many weird things."

<Fabian> That...also sounded woefully boring. "Terrible? What were you expecting?"

<Walt> "Oh..err...y'know. The usual stuff people say when they talk about mutants...that sort of thing," he said awkwardly, uncomfortable all of a sudden.

<Fabian> That merely earned a confused look from Fabian. "People say a lot of things, most of it's crap."

<Walt> "Oh...that's good," Walt said, a little relieved. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. I look pretty normal and I'm a mutant so..." He chuckled nervously and got up to start putting his things away.

<Fabian> Fabian hid his frown at Walt's words, not approving of them whatsoever from what he was assuming. "Well, not everyone's obvious."

<Walt> "No...I see that now," Walt said, quickly emptying the contents of his bag and arranging his few books in a neat manner on his desk shelf. He checked the clock. It was six o'clock. Time for his medication. He reached into his bag and pulled out the jar of pills, shaking out a few and throwing them back dry. "So...err...what can you do?"

<Fabian> "Power amplification, what about you?" The frown slipped out but at least it was merely curious as he looked at the bottle in Walt's hand.

<Walt> Walt put the bottle into the drawer of his bedside table. "...I'm a metamorph," he said, instantly regretting asking the other mutant about his powers, of course someone would ask what he could do in return, he should've anticipated this.

<Fabian> "Nice power, you'll have more than a few types of shapeshifters about." He nodded, going back to his own packing for a quick moment as he opened his last suitcase. He decided to just ask. "So what are the pills for?"

<Walt> Walt hesitated. How much did he tell this guy? It was always a risk telling people what he did - often people were afraid of him. Best to be truthful (as always) but cautious, he decided. "To make sure I don't transform against my will," he said.

<Fabian> Fabian's eyebrow just crept ever upward. "O...kay?" That was weird and Fabian didn't bother to hide the fact that he found it as such.

<Walt> Great, now his roommate thought he was some sort of drug addict. He reached into the drawer and pulled out the jar again. "Here," he said. "You can have a look. I'm not hiding anything."

<Fabian> "Didn't say you were. It'd be pretty pointless anyway, we're living together for a year so you're going to learn all sorts of shit you don't want to know about me." Fabian took the bottle though, giving it a read.

<Walt> Walt unconsciously averted his eyes as his roommate stood over him reading the jar. Hoping he wasn't being judged too much for having such heavy tranquilizers...surely he wasn't the only mutant here that couldn't control their powers though. There had to be someone else with the same problems.

<Fabian> "...how the hell is being half asleep going to help you control anything? It's doing it for you, isn't it?"

<Walt> Walt frowned. "No...it's helping me." He tried to think of a good way to say this but there wasn't one. "I can't control my other form or the transformations at all. Everything about me...disappears when I'm that thing."

<Walt> "Um...don't worry, as long as I have those I won't transform. You're perfectly safe... really." He held his hand out for the jar. "Department H would never have released me back into society if they thought I was a danger to anyone."

<Fabian> "How often have you transformed?" Fabian laughed a bit as he asked, wondering if perhaps he was going to need to by a cattle prod. "Wait, what?"

<Walt> "Once...when I was sixteen. Apparently I'm a late bloomer," Walt said, more than a little troubled. "Then a few more times in lab settings in the next couple of months and that's it."

<Fabian> "...right, so they were teaching you how to control it and basically gave you happy sleep-time pills when they gave up?"

<Walt> "I don't think so..." Walt said, frowning. "I think they were just trying to get an idea of what I could do. They put that information down in your file when you're registered in Canada."

<Walt> He put the jar back in his drawer. "They didn't give up. I'm out here, aren't I? The pills just make sure everyone around me is safe."

<Fabian> "But you said you couldn't actually use your power, it just happened."

<Walt> Walt blinked, a little confused. "I'm probably oversimplifying this. Uh...no, I couldn't control it. I won't ever be able to - not according to Department H."

<Fabian> Fabian arched an eyebrow and tossed the bottle back to him. "Bullshit, they just decided to do this instead of send you out with a collar and a tag."

<Fabian> "Lucky you're here now, huh? You'll actually get a chance to learn how, eh?"

<Walt> Walt frowned. Collar and tag? He didn't much care for his roommate's choice of words. "I'm a 'feral' mutant," Walt said, a little ashamed. He didn't like that word either. All of them made him feel like an animal. "The other form's not sentient...it can never be controlled."

<Walt> "I'm not transforming, ever. I'm just here to study engineering."

<Fabian> "You realize that's pretty stupid, though? What about when those things aren't going to work for you anymore or when they start messing with you?" At this point Fabian was just confused. "Better to learn how so you can keep yourself from transforming rather than try to keep yourself sedated."

<Fabian> "It's a whole lot more reliable in the long run, that's for certain."

<Walt> Walt shook his head. He'd heard some of these suggestions before...from himself two years ago while he was detained in Ottawa and still believed he could live a relatively normal life. "They've worked fine for two years and if they stop I'll just get another prescription. It can't be controlled and I won't risk anyone else's life trying to. It's better for everyone this way."

<Walt> "...I appreciate the concern though," he said, not wanting to insult the other guy.

<Fabian> Concern was putting it a bit strongly and Fabian couldn't help but have a chuckle at that. "I'll just leave you to bury your hand in the sand then." He picked up his bottle and swung his jacket over his shoulder. "I leave you to your moving in, then."

<Walt> Walt frowned at that. Where the heck did this guy get off? He wasn't a scientist like Huxley or Haddock. How would he know anything about his mutation? "Err...right. I guess I'll see you later then...nice meeting you," he said politely.

<Fabian> "The mini-fridge is stocked so you're welcome to it. I'm off to Lukas' room to see if this is the only bottle he brought back at home, hope not." With that Fabian was gone down the hall.

<Walt> Walt nodded and waited till the other guy was gone before flopping back down and sighing heavily. He had no idea who this Lukas was...or where the kitchen was...well, things were off to a great start.