5/19 Instance: Re-Animation

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

5/19 Instance: Re-Animation

Post by Starfish »

Timeline: A day after the game "Had a Dream".

Cecilia: Cecilia studied the shiny 'Pryor for President' button with a huge smile on her face even as she wrote the paper that Cessily had asked for. The Martin Luther King of their time...that had a nice ring to it.

Cassandra: With several books already tucked under her arm, Cassandra paused her stalking through the tall shelves when she spotted the other girl sitting at one of the tables. Sneaking up from behind, she leaned forward to take a peek over Cecilia's shoulder. "What are you doing?" she asked, a wry smile on her lips.

Cecilia: Cecilia leapt up wildly, slamming her thigh on the table and twisted around sharply, pen raised in a stabbing position. "For fuck's sake!" she grit out. "Don't sneak up on me again! God!"

Cecilia: She relaxed her position into a more casual one and threw the pen down on the table. "Jesus..."

Cassandra: "Almost! Except that it didn't take me three days to rise from the dead." Cassandra cracked a grin and raised her finger, before she became a tad more serious. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." After a brief pause, she shrugged her shoulders and let out a sigh. "Okay fine, I did, but it's true I'm sorry."

Cassandra: "I'm not." she admitted a moment later and rubbed the underside of her nose.

Cecilia: "You would be if I'd actually hurt you," Cecilia scowled, rubbing her thigh. It was a real risk now with her PTSD back full force. "Jesus was ressurected - not re-animated."

Cassandra: "Is there a difference?" Cassandra asked, clutching her books in front of her body. Her question was only partly in jest, making her sound genuinely curious about the matter.

Cecilia: "A subtle one, yes," Cecilia said, sitting back down and offering the other girl the seat opposite. "Ressurection is to restore someone to life completely - as if nothing ever happened. Re-animation implies something less...intact."

Cecilia: She frowned. "I'm sure you don't want to talk about this though." She sure as hell didn't. It was unnerving to see Cass like this. To watch her laughing, walking, talking when she should be rotting. It felt...unnatural.

Cassandra: "You shouldn't be so sure about that," Cass replied, placing her book on the table as she took the offered seat. "Because neither am I." She pulled up her legs and tucked her feet underneath her thighs, ending up in a cross-legged position. "All I can tell you that brooding alone over my own thoughts isn't helping much either."

Cassandra: "And you know what? You may have a point there." She offered Cecilia an uneven smile, while holding up her left hand to place two of her fingers against the inside of her wrist. "Because I was pretty sure I've had a heartbeat before that whole mess happened."

Cecilia: "I'm pretty sure you did too," Cecilia said, disturbingly fascinated all of a sudden by the lack of vital functions. How was she walking? If I could study that... But that would make her much closer to Essex and Rott than she cared to be. She put that morbid desire away. "Well...if it's any consolation life has many definitions depending on who you talk to. Danger doesn't have a heatbeat either but she's sentient. I'd even go as far as to say she's alive. Though some wouldn't."

Cassandra: "Or Miss Kincaid," Cassandra added. "The professor basically is one walking, talking thermometer, but I don't think anyone would seriously claim she's not alive." The girl shifted on her chair, slender fingers fidgeting with the stack of books. "Anyway, if it's any consolation for you, Dr. McCoy assured me that there's little risk of me hunting after your brains anytime soon."

Cassandra: "And before you think about burning me at the stake or stake me with sanctified wood, he's also quite sure that no black magic or mad science has been involved in my resurrection. Excuse me, re-animation." She smiled at the other girl. "While certainly unusual, my ability to reconstitute myself is not unheard of among mutants."

Cassandra: "Apparently Mr. Drake is capable of doing something similar," she explained.

Cecilia: "I'm not afraid of you," Cecilia said, raising an eyebrow. "Unnerved slightly but that'll pass, I think." She studied the campaign button slightly nervously. "You have to understand...it's very hard to accept this. I was on the squad that recovered your body...the damage was... extensive."

Cassandra: "Oh, believe me, I know," Cass said, a half-smile faintly playing across her features. "I was there for most of it. Until Kraven cut out my heart, anyway, but he kept the best piece for the very last. And the dear Dr. Rott made sure I wouldn't slip off into dreamland."

Cassandra: Leaning forward, she rested her chin on interlocked fingers. "I'm sorry you had to find me like this," she told Cecilia, sounding quite sincere. "The least I wanted was to make you all hurt."

Cecilia: "I suppose karma came into play there," Cecilia said ruefully. "I don't know about Rott but Kraven...he suffered a similar fate. Only he didn't have any powers to bring him back." Ed...God, how had it come to that?

Cecilia: Cecilia just laughed. "You're apologizing to me for being murdered? Are you Canadian or something?"

Cassandra: "Not to my knowledge, though I won't guarantee our family tree doesn't have any maple leaves on it somewhere." Cassandra chuckled. "And if we're going with cultural stereotypes, I would be much more likely to swindle you out of car and try to sell you a fake watch."

Cassandra: Chewing on her lower lip, she glanced down to inspect her fingers for a moment. "I know it may be foolish, but I feel partially responsible for all you've had to go through. Hadn't I been so cocky and gotten myself killed, none of this would have happened... including Eddie."

Cecilia: Cecilia's expression turned cold. "Ed had a darkness in him all along - your death had nothing to do with it. It wouldn't have mattered who was killed. He didn't do what he did 'cause he's some tortured hero seeking justice, he wasn't looking for that, he was looking for an excuse."

Cassandra: "You may be right about the darkness within him," Cassandra conceded, folding her hands on the table. "With the exception that he's as much a victim of it as those he hurt." Looking up, she showed Cecilia a small smile. "Though, let's not call it darkness. After all, some of us get along with it quite fine. How about plain old evil?"

Cecilia: "No-one suffers as much as those who have a crime perpetrated against them," Cecilia asserted, thinking of Mel. "Evil is a better word, too."

Cassandra: "Speaking of, I've heard he hurt you, too." Her words sounded more like a question than a statement, and she resumed to biting her lip as she studied the other girl's expression. "Among others."

Cecilia: "Not as much as others," Cecilia said darkly. "I'm fine...well, as fine as I can be, I suppose."

Cassandra: "Hey, that makes two of us already," Cass replied, holding up her hands as she showed Cecilia the most encouraging grin she could manage. "Though, do you think Mel will be, too? No one told me bluntly what happened to her, but I'm not so clueless that I couldn't guess it."

Cassandra: She fidgeted with a strand of her long, black hair. "Now I wonder if I should try to cheer her up somehow, or if that would only lead to me getting clawed."

Cecilia: "She was sexually assaulted," Cecilia said bluntly. "Or so I heard...I also heard she had her limbs torn off and I know her eye was put out. I went to see her shortly after... I'm not sure how she's holding up. She's pretty stoic. I'm sure she'd appreciate the distraction though."

Cassandra: Raising her eyebrows, Cass tilted her head. "Yes, one can always count on good old Cecilia to go straight for the sucker punch instead of beating around the bush," she replied, Cecilia's detailed description bringing back the memories of her own ordeal, which had been frighteningly similar. She couldn't help but wonder if Eddie was aware of that.

Cassandra: "I've never shied away from a challenging performance, so I'll see if I can think of something to bring a smile to the grumpy lizard's face."

Cecilia: "At least people know where they stand with me," Cecilia shrugged. "I'm only as brutal as the facts dictate. If I were talking about a nice evening out I'd sound a lot different. "I hope you can...don't tell her this but I worry about her."

Cassandra: "Fear not, my lips are sealed," Cass quickly assured the other girl, the cheeky grin returning to her face. "I'll keep your reputation as snarky sourpuss intact." She snickered and showed Cecilia a wink.

Cecilia: Cecilia snorted. "Snarky sourpuss? Well, that's putting it mildly." She let it go though. "Here, you asked what I was doing." She slid the campaign button and paper over. "This concerns us both."

Cassandra: She picked up the button and scanned the paper with a quick glance. "The Martin Luther King of our time?" Cass asked, a wry smile on her lips as she looked up at Cecilia. "Yes, there seems to be nothing else on the news anymore since yesterday. Sorry for skipping the tour, but all that sunlight would only have made me moody."

Cecilia: "Could be," Cecilia noted. "Too predictable? I'll admit Cess probably will see it coming since I'm black...I'm afraid I never really inherited my father's talent for writing."

Cassandra: "Why change what fits so nicely?" Cassie smiled and pushed back the paper. "I would keep that title. It's daring, flashy, and catches the attention of your audience. And if I've learned anything during my time performing at the circus, those are qualities you can never have enough of."

Cecilia: "Pryor certainly ascribes to your philosophy," she said, thinking of the bold speech. "She was...well, I was impressed. It takes a lot to come out as a mutant with just a few people but on-stage on national television? I really admire that."

Cecilia: "I wish I could," Cecilia said, wistfully.

Cassandra: "If it helps you in any way, I don't need to tell you I've never shied away from being the center of attention, or even made a secret out of my unusual abilities, but I've never come out and clearly told anyone I'm a mutant, either." Cassandra's smile took on an uneven edge.

Cassandra: "Perhaps I wanted to maintain the mystique of my true nature, and was afraid it would be replaced by all too mundane reality." She chuckled to herself. "Maybe the people cheered for me because they could pretend I'm something else than what they hate and fear."

Cecilia: "You wanted to be special," Cecilia said, feeling this to be an apt description. "I want to live in a world where my children won't suffer as I have...maybe we'll get to with this Pryor woman." She smiled slightly. "It's worth a shot, I think."

Cassandra: "It seems to be a good start at least," Cass replied, leaning forward as she propped her elbows up on the table, resting her chin on the palm of her hand. "Maybe this Pryor can show the world freaks like us don't belong only in the circus. Though, if you think about it, I guess politics are just another kind of circus. Only with more clowns."

Cecilia: Cecilia cringed at the word 'freaks.' "There's a lot of back-room shit involved with these things...I wonder if Sebastian has some insight into this?" It might be worth asking if she saw him at the club sometime.

Cassandra: "Oh, that's a good idea," Cass said, extending her index finger to point at the girl sitting across from her. "We should interview him." A suggestive smile played across her lips. "I've wanted to pay him a visit since finding out he's jumped off the cannibals' knife, as well."

Cecilia: "I think you'll be wasting your time there," Cecilia said, arching an eyebrow. "He's with Jess now."

Cassandra: A frown showed itself on Cassie's forehead. "As in, only with her?" she asked, giving Cecilia a confused look. "That would be so unlike him. Are you sure they didn't actually get his head?"

Cecilia: "I found it but apparently it was one very unlucky son of a bitch that took his place." Cecilia laughed. "Exclusive if the rumour mill is corrrect...it is unusual, I'll admit. Then again, people said the same about Fabian when we got together."

Cassandra: "Not so unusual when you think about it," Cass replied, an impish smirk curling the corner of her mouth. "As if anyone would ever dare to cheat on you and bring down your wrath upon them." She laughed.

Cecilia: Cecilia chuckled. "If anyone wants to leave they can. I won't stop them. If they don't wanna be with me then it's their loss. I'd find someone else. I highly doubt Fabian would leave me like that though."

Cassandra: "That's because you trained him well." Cass continued to smirk at the other girl. "I don't think I would even want a boyfriend who's faithful to me. That would only make me feel bad. To each her own, though."

Cecilia: Cecilia laughed. "Trained?" If Cass said so, she'd never really felt like she was holding anyone's leash. "I don't think I'd like that. It's human to be jealous...maybe there are more forgiving people than me though."

Cassandra: "That's one way of putting it." Cassandra snickered and sat back up in her chair. She glanced down at the paper lying on the table between them. "Anyway, I think I've held you up long enough. Unless you want me to help, of course. I'm supposedly quite good at coming up with flowery phrases."

Cecilia: Cecilia snorted. "I think that's what I'm supposed to avoid...English and art are easily my worst subjects but I know that much. I guess I'll see you later then?"

Cassandra: "I was done haunting the library anyway." She untangled her legs and rose to her feet, snatching up her books from the table. "The kitchen would be my next stop. Perhaps you would care for a cup of tea of something else? It would be no big deal."

Cecilia: "If you make that coffee then it's a date," Cecilia said, picking up her books and smiling. "You still get hungry?"

Cassandra: "Now that you mention it, not particularly," Cassandra replied, an uneven smile on her lips. "That doesn't stop me from tasting whatever delicious treats I'm in the mood for, however." She nodded at Cecilia. "One coffee, coming right up. I even promise not to startle you this time."

Cecilia: "Sounds good," Cecilia said. "Hot coffee in the face is not the way to go through life."