5/20 Instance: My Guitar Gently Weeps

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

5/20 Instance: My Guitar Gently Weeps

Post by Ferguson »

Timelined after This is F***ing Awesome

<Alison> Walt: Walt lay on his back, staring up at the ceiling from his spot on the bed. It was late but he wasn't quite ready to sleep yet - not after the craziness that was that night out. So he was playing a few songs on his guitar. Sad songs mostly because they were quiet and wouldn't wake anyone.

<Alison> Walt: He hummed a little as he played. He didn't really sing much and despite the compliments today he wasn't going to be changing this anytime soon. "I could sleep, I could sleeeep. I could sleep, I could sleeep. When I lived alone. Is there a ghost in my house?"

<Alison> It didn't take many measures of music before Alison Blaire's head popped in through the open door and her knuckles rapped against it. "I heard a guitar." That was her simple greeting and reason for being here.

<Walt> And this would be someone coming to tell him to shut the heck up. Walt slammed his hand on the strings. "I'm sorry!" he blurted out, rolling over onto his stomach to face the new person. "I -..." It was a girl. "Uh...h-hi. I, err...I'm s-sorry if I woke y-you."

<Alison> "Awwww, don't stoooop." Alison set her bottom lip to do it's job of quivering to get the fellow student to start playing again. She had always believed it was highly effective. "I just came to listen, that's all, and don't you worry, I wasn't asleep, I was just about to get ready for bed but that can wait. I'm Alison, by the way, Alison Blaire, can I come in?"

<Walt> "Um...s-sure," Walt stammered, motioning for her to come in, not wanting to be rude to someone he'd just met. "Uh...I'm Walter. Walter L-Langkowski, but you can c-call me Walt."

<Alison> Alison pounced right in, looking around the dorm room. "Looks like you and your roommate have everything stored away. I'm in the three girl room and I'm afraid my bags are still out; it just takes forever to unpack for me! It's great to meet you, Walt, you can call me Ali if you like."

<Walt> "A-Ali? It's really nice to m-meet you too." God! Why was he such a stuttering idiot around girls?! He could choke himself right now. "Yeah...h-he's out for the night. His name's Fabian. If y-you see a guy with red hair and f-footie pyjamas running around t-that's him."

<Alison> "I'm afraid I've not seen anyone in footie pyjamas. If we're going to have a pyjama party I'll be sure to dig out some of mine because that's something you just can't pass up, yeah?" Alison was laughing, completely oblivious to any problems Walt was currently suffering through.

<Walt> He studied her. Blonde hair, blue eyes and Southern twang colouring her voice. "Um...n-no, I guess not, m-miss." Her clothes were so shiny it was nearly blinding...and her purse. "Uh...that's not r-real fur, is it?" He hoped not, it looked like she'd skinned a muppet to get it. He didn't like the idea of there being a real animal out there that looked like that.

<Alison> "Oh this thing? No, no, but I'd like to meet the animal it'd come off of and hope it could be a pet!" Alison laughed and patted the bag in question. "So, are you going to play a song, honey?"

<Walt> "Um, sure." Walt picked up his guitar again, not wanting to argue with this nice lady. "Do y-you want a-anything in particular?"

<Alison> "Oh no, hon, you just do what you want and I'll just listen here and maybe sing along if you don't mind that." Alison laughed, shrugging and finding a seat.

<Walt> "S-Sure..." Walt thought for a minute. She was from the South so she might appreciate some Tragically Hip. He readied his pick and started to play and sing slightly in a low voice. " Does your mother tell you things - long, long when I'm gone? Who you talking to? Is she telling you I'm the one?"

<Alison> Alison just smiled and swayed a bit, singing a few snatches of lines here and there as he played on. "You're really good, are you here to study music?"

<Walt> Walt loosened his grip on the guitar as he finished the song. "Uh...n-no, actually I'm studying mechanical e-engineering," he chuckled nervously. "This is just...a h-hobby. Are y-you?"

<Alison> "I think I will, I mean, most of my classes for this semester are arts-based so I guess I'm all ready angling towards that but I guess I'm not decided yet...it's what I want to do, though." Alison answered, smiling and stopping her swaying. "I'd probably blow something up in engineering."

<Walt> "Um, well, t-that's actually the p-point of being an engineer," Walt said, the corners of his mouth turning up a little. "To blow s-stuff up."

<Walt> "What c-classes are you taking?" He wondered if they had any in common. Not likely though, he was in mostly science and math courses, unless she was in instrumental music. Then they'd have one in common.

<Alison> "It is? Well, maybe I'll pick it up next semester and see if I can't set the fire alarms off!" Alison laughed, rubbing her hands together feindishly at the idea as she joked. "Lets see, I've got cosmotology, fashion design, dance, theater, music, remedial math and gym."

<Walt> "Oh, w-we're in two classes t-together," Walt said. "I'm in music for my art c-credit and gym for an e-easy one. I, uh...I'm in math as w-well but I'm in the r-regular class."

<Alison> "Yeah, I'm really bad at math...which just isn't right since people go on and on about how musically inclined people are supposed to be good at it."

<Alison> "I'm glad we're in classes together! We can totally team up for gym and stuff."

<Walt> "Y-Yeah," he said, a little nervous at the idea of pairing up with a girl in gym. Oh God...please don't give me an anxiety attack.

<Walt> "You're n-not?" Walt said, he was good at both so he must fit the stereotype really well. "Um...well, i-if you need help or something I c-could always s-show you a few things." Holy crap. What the heck did he just say?!

<Alison> "That'll be great!" Alison clapped happily. "I'll let you know whenever I need help. I mean, I figure I can at least manage this math but just in case it's always nice to have some help, you know."

<Walt> Walt nodded. "S-So...um..." He tried to think of something else to say. "You're a f-freshman too, right? Uh...how do y-you like the school so f-far?"

<Alison> "Oh I love it so far! What about you?" Alison asked promptly.

<Walt> "Uhm...it's o-okay," Walt said. "Better than m-my last home. So t-that's something, r-right?"

<Alison> "I guess so, what is your home like?"

<Walt> "Uh...well, I lived in a y-youth shelter before I came h-here," he admitted. "So it was c-crowded and t-there were a lot of t-tough people...I, uh...I'm n-not a deliquent or anything." He hoped she didn't think that about him. "My p-parents um...don't really l-like mutants."

<Walt> Well, he didn't either and it wasn't not liking mutants as much as it was they were afraid of him, but he didn't need to tell her that.

<Alison> Alison looked at him as if he was telling her how he actually used to be a puppy and people just went about kicking him. "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to bring that up."

<Walt> Walt frowned. "Oh, uh...it's f-fine, really. It w-wasn't so bad." Well, it was pretty terrible at times but he'd made it through. "I'm a-alright now. It w-was only for t-two years. I don't...I had a pretty n-normal life before that."

<Walt> "W-where are you from?" he asked, quickly changing the subject. He didn't mean to upset her.

<Alison> "I'm actually from Long Island but I live down in Nashville...which explains how I talk now but I've learned how to live with it." Alison joked, deciding she wouldn't make him talk about his stuff anymore.

<Walt> "T-That's the place with all the country m-music, right?" Walt said. "That m-must've been really nice growing up there."

<Alison> "It's great, you should come visit sometime, I bet you'd love it since you're here plucking away at your guitar and everything!"

<Walt> "M-Maybe I will s-someday," Walt said, smiling slightly for the first time since he got here. "I n-never really got out of Alberta much."

<Alison> "Well, you now have an open invitation." Alison assured him. "And you're clear out of Alberta now so looks like you're travelling around."

<Walt> "Y-yeah, next time I won't take the train though," he chuckled. That was not an experience he ever wanted to repeat. Three days of sheer boredom and lugging his stuff across the continent. Never again. "Um...do you w-want me to keep playing u-until you have to g-go to bed? Or you could p-play something -" he offered the guitar "- if you like."

<Alison> "Don't let me keep you up now, if you need to go to bed or anything you just let me know, okay, hon?" Alison wanted to make sure that was out in the clear. "And I'd hate to mess with your guitar, I'm sure you're probably particular about it like a lot of players so you just go ahead."

<Walt> "I don't t-think you could mess it up more than it already has b-been," Walt admitted. He could've punched Stan for cutting the strings with an exacto knife. There was still a string missing that he hadn't replaced. "N-no problem. I-I'm good to stay up." Well, not exactly but Alison was the nicest person he'd met here by a long shot so far. He didn't want to alienate her.

<Alison> She had a while before she would start her night routine anyway so...she suppose she may as well stay perched. "Maybe a few more songs then, your turn to pick and I'll be sure to sing out."

<Walt> Walt thought a moment. "Do y-you know any Beatles?" Those were quiet ones and fairly easy to play too, in his opinion. "How about 'Here Comes The S-Sun?'"

<Alison> "Of course I do." Alison laughed at that even being a question. "And that sounds perfect."