5/20 Instance: Not As Expected

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

5/20 Instance: Not As Expected

Post by Ferguson »

After [Instance]One-Trick Pony.

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth was well and truly settled in her new room now, after a few long talks with her friend Martin she'd decided to take the offer and come to XU because this way she was getting the chance to stay in a college. Lounging on her bed playing with a bottle of water she was trying to concentrate on something other then the whispers around her.

<Jessica> Jess found the room that was supposed to be hers now and gave the door a knock. She figured she should at least meet her new roommate and then she could decide what she wanted to do.

<Elizabeth> Looking up for a moment she frowned wondering who would want to come speak to her before she remembered there was the possibility of a room mate. "It's open come in!" Rolling off her stomach onto her side, black PVC trousers squeaking a little.

<Jessica> Jess opened the door and poked her head inside, eyebrows going up at what she found there. Oh Lord. "Uh... hi... Elizabeth?"

<Elizabeth> She head tilted a little as the blond girl stuck her head round the door, this one felt nice to be near. "Yeah I'm Elizabeth.... you my new roomie?"

<Jessica> Jess nodded, "Seems that way..." she moved into the room properly, "I'm Jessica... but you can call me Jess, pretty much everyone else does." Except Bobby.

<Elizabeth> "Hey then." Smiling a little, no need for her to lash out she could do this, all she had to do was be polite. Maybe make another friend. "Do you prefer Jessica or Jess? I know I hate having my name shortened."

<Jessica> No one had ever asked her which she prefered and she'd honestly never thought about it. She gave a small shrug, "Don't really mind... usually people just shorten it without asking so I got used to it." Well, that and for a large portion of her life it was what other people wanted that mattered.

<Elizabeth> "Faaaiir enough." Flipping over she hiked up the bed to sit with her back against the wall, a sleeveless top matching the trousers except for a red band down either side. "So where you from Jessica?" There we go small talk, drown out the background noises and be social. You can do it.

<Jessica> "Oh... all over... but I was born in London... uh, England... as if you can't tell from the accent." She moved to sit on the other bed, "How about you?"

<Elizabeth> "I was born in Southampton, in England, lived in London to for the rest of my life though I've moved about the city quite a bit." Pulling her knees up she hugged them, trying to go for friendly as much as she could here.

<Jessica> "I liked London... I was there a lot over the summer... have a house there now." She smiled, "So what did you do before they picked you up?"

<Elizabeth> "I have a flat I share with my mate and his boyfriend near the Thames." Smiling back faintly before losing the ability to hold the eye contact. "I worked as a waitress in a strip joint."

<Jessica> Her eyebrows went up, "Really?" Huh. "Wow... subtle, Xavier."

<Elizabeth> "It was a fun job." Shrugging at the eyebrow raise. "What do you mean?"

<Jessica> Jess ran a hand through her hair and sighed, "Before I came here... I worked in Amsterdam... in the red light district. I'm sure I don't have to connect the dots for you."

<Elizabeth> "Oh right fair enough." She was a little surprised but then not everybody got the cushy 9-5 desk jobs and a good start in life. "Take it you don't do it now then?"

<Jessica> She shook her head, "Not for a long time... but some people here would probably try to tell you differently. They don't have a high opinion of me... which is fine... it's just the lies I can't stand."

<Elizabeth> "Pffft, there's bitches and liars everywhere, can't get away from scum like that unless you live in the deserts of the world. I'm thinking of seeing if there's any clubs nearby I can apply for a job at, I liked my job back home and it kept me occupied."

<Jessica> "I daresay there's a few in the city... but if you want to avoid the school crowd, don't get a job in a bar called Vito's." Jess advised, glancing out of the window. "I don't know if I'll be here much myself... I have a job in the city and I'm sort of partly living with a guy there that I'm dating..."

<Elizabeth> "School crowd doesn't bother me, I only know the people that picked me up and they haven't spoken to me since we got back. I just need a place that serves cocktails and I'll be set for life." Nodding a bit and realising she'd actually have privacy here. "That's cool, no boyfriend or such for me, don't know anyone with the patience. What job you got?"

<Jessica> "I get paid to talk to old people... keep them company and stuff. Mostly it's a lot of fun." She smiled, "And they're all like surrogate grandparents to me because I don't have real ones."

<Elizabeth> "Social carer then? Sounds like a nice job honestly.... and cool if you're making sort of family out of it." Trying to keep her own opinions on family to herself, she wanted one conversation where she didn't act up or lash out at a random person trying to be nice.

<Jessica> "Yeah... it is nice." She gave another smile, "I'm pretty sure everyone else thinks it's weird but I've never been normal so I'm not sure I want to be now." Even though the bit of normal she had with Sebastian was great. "So... what do you do? Powers-wise I mean?"

<Elizabeth> "I honestly don't know, people from here turned up and told me I was a mutant and I came here after a little persuading. What's her name.... Melati? The lizard girl? Seems to think I have, like, mind reading powers but then she won't listen to my side of things."

<Jessica> "Telepath, huh? There's a few of those around the place," Jess was glad Sebastian had been teaching her how to shield. "And yeah, the lizard girl is Melati. She's fun."

<Elizabeth> "Honestly, Jessica, I don't think I can read minds, I'm just a good judge of people. I don't really believe I'm a mutant either but, fuck, not going to turn down an offer like this." Rubbing the side of her face before checking the time on her phone.

<Jessica> "Well we can easily test if you can read minds or not. Right now, even." She gave a grin.

<Elizabeth> "If you really want to, wouldn't know how to do it on purpose anyway.... but can't hurt to try." Now bigger question, do you tell her you probably can't hear what she's thinking over what you hear anyway or would that freak her out to much?

<Jessica> Having had a great deal of practice at projection over summer, Jess lowered her own mental shields and focused on a clear image of her house which she pushed at Elizabeth.

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth didn't actually get anything for a few minutes, even bothering to take her medication while she waited for anything to happen. Then, as her mind wandered, her body seemed to pause, eyes widening as she caught the house in her head. How the door handle felt, what it smelt like...

<Jessica> Jess had to concentrate on not letting her mind wander too much because she kept straying back to what she'd done in it over summer.

<Elizabeth> "I...... I actually think it's working 'cause I can't stop thinking about a house now.... and tea, strangely....." Scrubbing her face with her hands and nails, leaving a few red trails down her skin.

<Jessica> "That's my house," Jess smiled at her, "And yeah... tea. Lots of tea.... now I want some." She laughed a little, "Think that settles it."

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth laughed as well though hers was more of a nervous one. "Wow yeah....... guess this means Melati wasn't having me on the other night then.... apprently I can hear people's thoughts a little bit." Reaching for her drawer and getting some pills out to take with the bottle of water.

<Jessica> "One to be careful with, I think." Jess worked on getting her mental shields back up again, "One of the other telepaths should be able to teach you how to shield your mind so you can tell the difference between your thoughts and others."

<Elizabeth> The house faded from her mind as she nodded then, staring at the floor and wondering which would turn out to be more scary - hearing others thoughts by accident or putting the walls up and finding silence because the pills could do their job? "Yeah guess I better go ask or something then, eh?"

<Jessica> "It's a good idea... not everyone's great with the idea of their thoughts getting overheard."

<Elizabeth> "I know I'm certainly not but then it's not like I walk past people and hear shit randomly like *I could really go for a sandwich right now*, may I only hear stuff if people can think it loud enough?"

<Jessica> "Maybe... but you might get better at it and then hear more stuff. Better to be safe than sorry, right?" she gave her a friendly smile, cocking her head on one side. "You don't have to learn but it's probably a safe option for sanity."

<Elizabeth> "Bit late for that..." She murmured to herself before nodding. "Guess you're right, plus I probably don't what to traumatize myself with what all the people in this place are thinking when someone they like walks past right?"

<Jessica> "Oooh definitely. You don't want to be in a room that has me and Jack in it. I dread to think what goes through his head, poor guy, never mind the rest of the people in the building." she laughed and shook her head.

<Elizabeth> "Who's Jack? Sorry kind of been hiding in my room since I got here, never been much of a people person." Chuckling a little and rubbing at her neck.

<Jessica> "Oh you'll know him when you see him... but here's the hint, he has really big ears." She nodded sagely. "And he's a sweetheart and very petable." She wondered if Jack was still pink and glittery.

<Elizabeth> "Haha cool I'll keep and eye out for him then." Forcibly making herself put her hands down to stop scratching and rubbing at her skin.

<Jessica> Jess chewed her lip, "You don't have to give me a straight answer but... are you alright?"

<Elizabeth> The way her head came up to look at Jess then was oddly jerky before she made herself smile. "I'm fine, think I'm just reacting to my new moisturizer or something, my skin is all itchy." It wasn't the truth but she had to try and make friends here not scare people off with the *I'm actually crazy* bit of her life.

<Jessica> Jess wrinkled her nose a little and offered a sympathetic look, "If it bothers you too much, I'm sure one of the doctors can help you out... there's like three of them and one of them has magic hands." She yelped suddenly and jumped up, sticking her hand in her pocket - her phone was vibrating. "Goddamn! I have got to turn that off..." she shook herself. "Not going to ask what I can do?"

<Elizabeth> "I'll just stop using it, see if the itching stops. Never been allergic to anything before." Laughing at Jess's reaction to her phone going off. "If you don't mind telling me, I'd like to know. Aside from what I've seen on TV, I'm honestly not sure what to, well, expect out of mutants right now."

<Jessica> "Mostly I do this..." she jumped straight up and stuck herself to the ceiling. "But I also fly... and I can shoot people with electricity. There's a couple of other things too." She smiled at the other girl from her upside down perch.

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth sat back on the bed to stare up at Jess with slack jawed amazement. "That is pretty damn weird..... cool.... but weird.... mind you, at least you aren't doing it exorcism style." Eyes wide as she watched the other girl on the ceiling.

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "No... that would be creepy.... also disgusting." She dropped down from the ceiling again, hovering for a few seconds before she set herself on her feet. "My codename is Arachne - Greek for 'spider'. There's another spider mutant here too... she can make webs. I can't do that."

<Elizabeth> "Just a little bit..... cool we get codenames here? Or is that just for the actually like superheroes?" Looking thoughtful as she considered the powers her room mate had and nodding in admiration. "Bet flying is awesome."

<Jessica> "I think you have to be on the team but I'm not sure..." she gave a small shrug, "Flying is awesome." she grinned, "So awesome."

<Elizabeth> "Fair enough with that then, not sure what I think about being on the team yet but I guess I better find out if I'm going to be a useful mutant or not first." Face mixed about the flying thing, she hated planes but free flying could be cool. "Scary the first time or not?"

<Jessica> "Um... not really... I mean it was scary in that I fell off something but after that it was fine." She smiled, "Falling off things was not something I was used to... still not - I've been able to stick to things since I was very little. I've always liked climbing."

<Elizabeth> "I'm not one for flying so if it ever happened to me I'd be screwed as it'd be the one power I'd fuck right off my mutant resume." She liked Jess, the girl was nice and easy to talk to, now she'd got going, she wasn't sitting there expecting to have to defend herself.

<Jessica> "Well if it's something you learn you can do later, I promise I'll catch you 'til you get the hang of it. How's that?"

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth properly laughed then at the idea, face warming up for the first time in the conversation. "I'd appreciate that, though you'd have to get me willing to fly first."

<Jessica> "Oh that's the easy part," Jess waved it off with a laugh. "I'm good at convincing people to do things they don't want to do... it's getting them to stop that's the problem."

<Elizabeth> Chuckling she shook her head. "The moment I'm crashing through windows that's when I'll be doing it too much or doing it drunk."

<Jessica> She laughed again, "You'll definitely be safe with me. I never fly drunk because I can't actually get drunk."

<Elizabeth> "I'm not supposed to but it hasn't stopped me so far." Catching herself before she started scratching at the feeling under her skin that wasn't really there. "Also please never let me fly drunk.... I'm not a good drunk at the best of times and the ability to fly plus being drunk does not sound safe for me."

<Jessica> "I promise I won't let you if it ever comes to that," she giggled again, "I physically can't get drunk so I try to avoid those that are anyway. It's awkward being the only sober person in a room full of the inebriated."

<Elizabeth> "I've gotten over that awkwardness, it's called working as a waitress in a strip joint, everyone's drunk and having fun and you're the boring one taking keys off people." Chuckling as she stretched out on her bed and relaxed.

<Jessica> "You'll have to teach me how... you don't want to get too used to the other thing." She shook her head, "I can't teach you anything that'll help you there."

<Elizabeth> "Pretty much I look at them, see what a mess they are, and be glad it's not me throwing up and making a complete idiot of myself, then walk away with a smile on my face."

<Jessica> "I guess it helps with the tips if they're so wasted they can't remember if they tipped you already...." she mused, leaning back on her hands.

<Elizabeth> "Oooooh yeah.... the drunken ones tip the actual dancers, forget they've done it, and then end up tipping the bar staff like me on top of everything. I swear, some nights I can pay a month's rent because of idiotic tip leavers."

<Jessica> "That is a good job. You should definitely get that job again." She nodded sagely, "And you don't even have to pay rent here so think what you can do with that money."

<Elizabeth> "That.... that right there is a brilliant point, no rent and allowance money... a job on top of that and I'll be rolling in i, especially if I can get a job at another strip joint....." Joining in the nodding as it hit her how easily she could save up money then for whatever she wanted.

<Jessica> "That is the best part about going to school here. You can save up for a proper start when you leave." And she'd really needed that. "Or, you know... find someone to help out with that while you're here. That also works."

<Elizabeth> "Yeah just a bit. I mean, I thought I was lucky just getting into a place on genetics alone, somewhere willing to put up with me but, day by day, this is looking to be such an amazing opportunity even if all I can do is tell if someone nearby is craving tea."

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "Yeah, speaking of, that hasn't actually gone away..." she moved to get up, "So I think I'm going to go and make a cup before I have to go and change for work."

<Elizabeth> Elizabeth stopped for a moment before laughing and shaking her head. "Alright then, maybe I'll see you later if you don't go see your other half?"

<Jessica> "Well I need to go tell him that my fears about my roommate were unfounded so probably not tonight... but tomorrow for sure, I might move some stuff in so I can stay here sometimes." She ran a hand through her hair.

<Elizabeth> "Worried you were going to end up sharing a room with a really weird mutant I take it?" Nodding and stretching back out on the bed to tap on the foot board. "Have fun at work then."

<Jessica> "Not so much the weird part, no... I like the weird ones." She smiled, "It was nice to meet you, hope the job search goes well." She headed for the door and opened it up.

<Elizabeth> "Think I might start tonight actually, need food first though. " Giving her new apparently non-scary room mate a friendly wave. "See you round then."

<Jessica> "See you later," she returned the wave as she started down the hall, calling over her shoulder, "I also cook!"

<Elizabeth> "You're my new favourite person!" She called after her new roomie laughing before rolling off the bed to go close the door, then taking a moment to stare at the room, she ended up curling up by the door and starting to scratch 'til the feeling under her skin went away.