5/30 Instance: Those Lovely Shark People

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

5/30 Instance: Those Lovely Shark People

Post by Slarti »

Current timeline

<Shaw> "So, whenever you come upon a question that seems entirely made of data and you have no idea where to begin, the most productive first step is to determine the units of measure for the answer," Sebastian said, fiddling with the laser pointer in his hand and pausing to clear his throat. "Then shape that pile of data until the units match the units needed for the answer."

<Shaw> He smirked and clicked off the pointer. "You'll need that insight, as I expect you all to have completed sections three through seven by the end of the week." He sniffed. "Dismissed."

<Mayday> Mayday jotted down the last few notes, brow furrowing at the sound of 'sections three through seven'. The last thing she wanted was more homework, which was a strange thing for her - or, more accurately, 'old her' - but she wanted to spend time with Janet doing things that weren't math problems.

<Mayday> Her personal wants aside, she was also having trouble with understanding the basics of psychic defense. Sure, it was easy to teach a 'psyker' how to do it, they already had the basics down. But what of someone with next to no psych-based powers?

<Mayday> "...saaaave for Spider-Sense." She hummed aloud, clicking her pen off and closing her book - technically, she thought, that counted. Waiting until the class was mostly vacant, she raised her hand, standing slowly, "M-Mister Shaw?"

<Shaw> Sebastian hadn't bothered watching the students file out, but he could feel Hope's glare. He smiled to himself. Looking up at the voice, his eyebrows rose. "You're still here."

<Mayday> Nodding, Mayday lifted her books, throwing her bag over her shoulder and approaching him. "I ah...I have a few questions."

<Shaw> "Oh.... good." Sebastian's upper lip curled only slightly, since that was what he was here for after all. Teachers had to do this sort of thing. He attempted a smile, since after all she'd been to the club. "Yes, Miss Parker, what can I help you with?"

<Mayday> "Well, I just..." Mayday sighed, running a hand through her hair. "...um, look, I'm just gonna be straight with it, my mom's a member of the Hellfire Club and I just wanted some advice on, like...i-is it expected of me that I follow her? Are there any perks? Does...is she even telling the truth?"

<Shaw> "Is she?" His head tilted and he tried to recall Mayday's file. Sitting down on the edge of his desk, he toyed with the laser pointer a bit, then looked at the girl surveyingly. "What's her name?"

<Mayday> Leaning back on one of the desks behind her, Mayday nodded. "Yeah, her name's Mary-Anne Webber." She shrugged, "I don't know if, like, you've met or..."

<Shaw> "Oh." Sebastian's eyebrows rose in surprise. He really needed to read these files more closely. "Yes, yes, she is indeed a member."

<Shaw> Now, he looked at Mayday for an entirely different reason. "I remember her well, and now I realize I should have noticed the family resemblance as stunning redheads have always stood out in my mind."

<Mayday> Mayday laughed nervously, blushing despite herself, and then quickly shaking her head - was she seriously falling for the 'Shaw charm'? Or...was he complimenting her mother!?

<Mayday> "...d-did you two know each other?" she asked, unsure whether she wanted to hear 'yes' or 'no' to that - the idea of him trying to charm her was one thing, the idea of him possibly having some 'shenanigans' and 'goings on' with her mother was something else entirely.

<Shaw> He watched her blush with a smile. Ah, and now the stuttering. "Oh yes," he said, dropping into a suggestive tone. "I knew her quite well."

<Mayday> Shuddering, Mayday made a face - it was what she thought. "...oh, but I hope she tasted good!" She cringed at her own joke; Sebastian Shaw proximity was clearly what prompted it.

<Shaw> Sebastian's surprised laugh was loud in the nearly empty room. "She was delicious," he said with a slight leer.

<Mayday> "Fan-freakin'-tastic...." Mayday groaned, rubbing her face - had she seriously expected anything less from that comment? She frowned a little at him. "So, you slept with my crush and my mom...gotta love this bonding!"

<Shaw> "It would appear so, yes." So, she really had been attempting to complete with him that evening at the club. How adorable. He grinned, showing far too many teeth. "It's a strong basis for a working relationship."

<Mayday> "What, sleeping with everyone the other party knows?" Mayday shrugged. "Seems you're off to a better start, what, you have two to my...." Humming, she raised an eyebrow, "...hell, you probably don't even know 'em."

<Shaw> "You might be surprised." If anything, his grin got wider at that.

<Mayday> Mayday shuddered. "Man, I hope not." She couldn't help but smirk back, wry as she'd ever done. "Look, I...heard that if my mom's a member, then I am too. What exactly does it mean to be one? Save for....you know...the group-cest..." Shuddering again, she pouted a little - that was a subject she wanted less of.

<Shaw> Chuckling, he shook his head; now thoroughly amused. "Yes, you would be a member as well, my dear. Save for the, as you say, group-cest, it is an apparatus for networking and, of course, socialization." He flashed another smile. "You can be as involved as you wish to be with this social aspect. Some attend nearly every night, though even I can't stomach that for long."

<Mayday> "Too much free water bad for the lovely shark people?" Mayday jibed. "Seriously, like...what are the benefits of it - not that, you know, I want to even associate with it...just seemed like a bunch of know-it-all sexual deviants who thought they were somehow above everyone else..." She bit her tongue, "N-no offense..."

<Shaw> "None taken," he snorted, running his tongue over his teeth and planning a pop quiz for the next class. "As I said, networking is one of the main benefits. In some situations, who you know in life is as important - if not more so - than what you know." Sebastian considered that.

<Shaw> "Not to underplay the importance of my courses," he smirked. "Does that seem an appropriately teacherly thing to say?"

<Shaw> "The club can also offer a degree of protection by association, such as exception from the Registration Act for our kind."

<Mayday> "It does," Mayday assured him. "And...hm. So, you're saying if I did become a member and I got the right friends there, then it could benefit me in the long run. Depending, you know, on what strings could be pulled where?"

<Shaw> "That is exactly what I'm saying, my dear." He tilted his head to watch her, studying her face. "Much of what you see there night to night is simply theater. The club is old, and its traditions are somewhat colorful."

<Mayday> Smiling with curiosity, Mayday hummed, nodding slowly. "I see...so if anything, it could work to my benefit if I dance the right dance. 'When in Rome', right?" She smirked, "Oh, God, I'm having the most fun picturing myself as Carmen Sandiego right now..."

<Shaw> "Yes," he chuckled, smirk back in place. "If the fancy strikes you, you can even dress as Carmen Sandiego on fantasy nights."

<Mayday> Mayday laughed dryly. "I think a line has to be drawn somewhere, but thanks anyway." She scratched her head, still feeling a little awkward, but far more comfortable than she did. "...listen, can I ask you something just, you know, outright?"

<Shaw> "Of course," he said, studying her again. "I believe we're likely past formalities at any rate."

<Mayday> "Do you...like...are we, ah..." she sighed. "Are we cool? Like...you know, I always figured you were...you know, that you kinda thought I was a moron. Which I am so not, I'm one of the best in your class, that's just a fact."

<Shaw> "Do I like you?" His head cocked in a manner more predatory than curious. "Why, Miss Parker, I thought your interests lie in the fairer sex? I'm flattered."

<Mayday> "Aw, that is-!" Mayday laughed, shaking her head. "Oh, you cheeky bastard, you know what I meant..." She grinned. He was...he was okay. Cheeky, but okay. "I meant would you say we were friends, but if you're gonna g'ahead and insinuate stuff..."

<Shaw> "You seem quite a bright girl, Miss Parker. I've seen no cause for concern in your work." He nodded, clicking the pointer a few times. "I would say we're cool, as you say." This time the smirk was back at using her term. "And if you'd like to claim your membership to the club, all you need do is tell me and I can arrange your official initiation."

<Mayday> Mayday's smile faltered slightly. "...i-initiation?" Her brow furrowed somewhat. "What, like...some kind of weird cult thing? I've...kinda had my fill of cults this lifetime..."

<Shaw> "It's just another piece of theater, to symbolically bind you to the club." He waved his hand dismissively. "Another excuse for a party, essentially. Though there are robes."

<Mayday> "What, like Hogwarts?"

<Shaw> Sebastian thought about this for a moment. "Yes, I suppose so." After a beat, he licked his lips. "Fewer owls."

<Mayday> "Yeah, it's old crows I need to watch for, huh?" Mayday snorted. "...not that I mean you, I mean...aahm..."

<Shaw> He laughed, shaking his head. "Yes, old crows in robes, so precisely like Hogarts."

<Mayday> With a grin, Mayday nodded. "You know what? Sure, let's...let's just go for it. What the hell? Always wanted to have a 'Sorting Hat' event in life, so hey, could be fun!"

<Shaw> "As you wish then - I'll make the arrangements." He inclined his head in a slight nod and flicked the pointer off and on.

<Mayday> "Awesome." Mayday clapped, almost dropping her books, "A-anyway, I should probably go; my girlfriend'll be wondering where I am. Toodle-pip, Mister Shaw." She waved, smiling as she left.

<Shaw> "Have a good afternoon, Miss Parker." He considered a comment on her statement, but since he'd already received one friendly warning on sexual harassment he refrained.

<Shaw> Instead, he targeted the laser pointer at her retreating back, a smirk in place. "Yes, indeed."