6/17 Instance: Oy Vey

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

6/17 Instance: Oy Vey

Post by Ferguson »

Timelined the day after Q&A

Walt: Walt laced up his boots, threw on his black sweatshirt and shouldered his backpack before making his way out the front doors. The air was crisp this Saturday morning, winter would be here soon, and with it snow.

Walt: He frowned at the expanse of driveway and road. Hopefully someone was hired to clear it or getting to the synagogue was going to something of a trial come January...but that was awhile yet.

Alison: Alison was all ready at the driveway, jogging paraphernalia all assembled as she pulled her hair back and set off on her way towards the gate. Yes, there was singing accompanying her jog as well as her earbuds were firmly put in her ears.

Walt: Walt heard Alison before he saw her. "Morning! Uh...oh," he said, turning and realizing she was wearing headphones. He raised a hand in greeting instead.

Alison: It took Alison seeing a motion out of the corner of her eye to come up to realization. "Oh!" She quickly pulled out the earbuds. "Hey Walt! How are you?"

Walt: "Pretty good n-now that the cross is out of my room," Walt said without thinking. "Uh...err. Sorry, that probably m-makes no sense....erm, so I'm good. How about y-you?"

Alison: He was right, it made no sense. "I'm great! Just out for a morning jog really, getting the chance to explore more out of the school you know. Are you off somewhere?"

Walt: Walt nodded. "Yeah, a-actually. It's Saturday so I'm going to temple," he said. "I'm surprised to see you. I d-don't think most people here get up before noon on the weekend."

Alison: "Oh I don't sleep in really well. I'm one of those people who don't really like sleep so it's hard to get me to go to bed and hard to get me to stay there." Alison shrugged, thus proving that she was truly abnormal in her own way.

Alison: "So you're going to temple? That's awesome, never really been in one."

Walt: "Really?" Walt said. "Oh yeah...I guess you wouldn't h-have the occasion to...would you like to?"

Walt: He winced almost as soon as the words where out of his mouth. God! How lame was he?! Maybe Fabian was right, he could very well be boring. "Uhm...you don't h-have to though if you don't want."

Alison: "It wouldn't be weird? I mean, I'm pretty pro-Jesus." Alison asked just to be certain.

Walt: "Well, I'd be there and I'm as Jewish as it g-gets...well, maybe not, I'm not hasidic or a-anything...but you're not unwelcome," he shrugged. "We're p-pretty pro-Jesus, too. Pretty much the same religion, we just don't t-think he was the messiah."

Alison: Alison arched an eyebrow as she was pretty sure the two religions had a whole new testament's worth of differences but she was okay with that. "I'll be glad to then."

Walt: Walt nodded, lips turning up slightly and jerked his head to indicate the road, walking at a much brisker pace so Alison didn't have to slow down too much. "I've n-never brought anyone outside the community before," he admitted. "No...that's not true. I did once, but I d-don't think she liked it much."

Alison: "Aw, a girlfriend?" Alison teased just a little bit, starting on down the road with him. "Well, I won't be any trouble. If I weren't so blonde I'd go so far as to say I'll blend right in."

Walt: "Err...yeah, she w-was." Walt said, a bit uncomfortably. "My mother is b-blonde you know and she's a Jew as well. Her family's from the Ukraine. Blonde doesn't mean m-much."

Walt: "Uhm...do you mind if I ask you s-something?" he said, looking up at the changing trees that lined the road.

Alison: "Ask away!" Alison replied, seeing no reason to deny such a request. She was an open book, after all.

Walt: "The other day in that truth and d-dare game...did you really think I w-was gay?" he asked, a bit confused as to how he'd given off that impression.

Alison: "Well, I mean, it wouldn't have been a surprise if you were I guess." Alison shrugged. "But then again you only really do your stuttery thing around girls so I wasn't sure."

Walt: Walt frowned. "I'm uh...trying to st-...to stop that. It's harder than I anticipated though," he admitted. "I had a speech impediment when I was y-young. I've grown out of it mostly or learned how to c-cope with it. That's why I don't say much. It's just when I get n-nervous it shows up m-...more."

Alison: "Why on earth is it that every girl makes you nervous though? I mean, we're over half the world." Alison just grinned on, however. "You'll get around it somehow."

Walt: "I'm just n-...not used to them," Walt said with some effort. "The only ones I t-talked to much growing up were my mother, my great-aunt and my grandmother and they're all ol-...old."

Walt: "I had the same p-problems when I talked to my f-...father and when I first meet people. I s-should go away eventually...I think, I h-...hope."

Alison: The idea of not being used to talking to people was absolutely foreign to Alison and it shown plainly on her face. "Well, everything improves with practice, right?"

Walt: "Tell that to my d-drama teacher," Walt said, smiling slightly now. "Some t-things I think. Some...not so much."

Alison: "Well, improves, that doesn't always mean it's going to be good now, does it?" She gave a laugh. "You're never as bad as when you start out, though, so still is true."

Walt: Walt shrugged. "I could l-...live with getting through a conversation w-without sounding like Porky Pig. I w-wasn't planning on b-being the next presidential candidate."

Alison: "...I thought Canada had Prime Ministers." Alison frowned, momentarily confused but shrugged it off. "I'm glad you're not Porky Pig though."

Walt: "We do," Walt said. "One of them was Stephen Harper...he took pictures of h-himself with kittens." He shuddered a little at that thought. "When in Rome though, r-right? I'm glad I'm not a p-pig either. They're un-clean animals."

Alison: Well, pigs did like mud so Alison would give him that. "Is there something wrong with kittens?"

Walt: "No, well, I like d-...dogs a bit better but the picture I'm thinking of was sort of c-creepy." Walt gestured. "He looks like h-he's going to eat it." He shrugged. "I'll show you s-sometime."

Alison: "I'll be sure to prepare myself. I'm glad you don't look like you want to eat the cat here." That would be more than a little traumatizing...but, then again, the things she was beginning to hear about this place were pretty traumatizing.

Alison: "So, how are you settled in now?"

Walt: Walt rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah...uh, I think that's not likely to h-happen in this form." As for the other...well, it apparently liked cows, so why not cats? "I think I'm d-doing alright. I've made friends with a few people and I l-like things for the most part. What a-about you?"

Alison: "It's so great! I mean, for a while there I had not much in the way of classes since Miss Guthrie wasn't around and then needed some recovery time but everything's great. I mean...we've not heard anything about the weird bug thing for a while and nobody's blowing up so I guess everything's good, right?"

Walt: "We can hope," Walt said, brow furrowing. "I heard about Professor Guthrie's p-...problem. That's how the cross ended up in my r-room....sort of." He looked behind him as though to check no-one was listening in. Though there was no-one but them on the road. "I d-don't really know what to think of all t-that 'X-Men' stuff," he admitted.

Alison: "I just don't know that I'm going to be much use with a lot of it but I guess I can always start out on the simple trips like recruiting and that sort of thing." Alison just assumed he was having reservations on actually doing things rather than the X-men in general. "Have to start somewhere, after all."

Walt: "You're thinking of j-...joining?" Walt asked, surprised. "Why?"

Alison: "...why, do you think I shouldn't?" Alison asked, confused.

Walt: "I'm not telling you n-not to," Walt confirmed. He wasn't, he wasn't her father or anything. Why would he tell her what to do? "I don't know...it just s-seems like a big risk...I m-mean, have you heard about s-some of the stuff that's happened here? It's pretty t-...terrible. Then look at some of the people here...I'm sorry but my roommate's girlfriend is s-sort of...haunted."

Walt: "It's just n-not something I'd be into," Walt shrugged.

Alison: Alison didn't quite see what Walt was getting at. As she saw it they had all ready taken most of the risk by joining the school considering some of the things she had heard so far. "Cecilia, right? I like her."

Walt: Walt wasn't surprised, Alison liked almost everyone, there were few like her, really. "I...she's nice enough. I'm not s-saying anything bad about her. It's m-more what's happened to her. She does some stuff my grandfather d-did sometimes and he was in Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen. She's not the only o-...one either. Joining the team, seeing that kind of s-stuff, seems to take it's toll."

Alison: "I think she was like that before she got here though." Alison replied with a shrug. She also thought Walt was way overselling his point as well but she wouldn't argue with him.

Walt: Walt shrugged. "Maybe I'm just like t-things to be sort of quiet and peaceful," he admitted. "I'm probably a bit boring as a p-person."

Alison: "There's nothing wrong with quiet and peaceful. Right now is quiet and peaceful...I mean, I won't lie, I like some noise but I prefer music all in all."

Walt: "Well, music's n-never a bad thing," Walt said. "I'm great with m-music. It's just g-giant bugs I'm not so into or being a s-superhero."

Alison: "Well, I'm not that into giant bugs either but I like the idea of helping at least. I'd not call myself superhero material either."

Walt: Walt nodded. "I think your powers would be p-pretty good for the team," he admitted. "It's n-not really a possibility b-...but you'd probably be able to help a lot."

Alison: Alison almost wanted to ask him how her powers would be good for the team but she supposed she'd figure that out on her own. It would probably be more beneficial that way. "Well, I guess you're happy enough, right?"

Walt: Walt nodded. "Oh yeah...I'm happy to be h-here and getting an education. That's enough for me, really."

Walt: He nodded at the horizon. Town was only a little ways away. "I sort of h-...have to walk today...but even if I didn't I would. I l-like it."

Alison: "Why do you have to? As long as you like it I guess it doesn't matter though."

Walt: "It's sort of against the r-rules. There's a bunch of things I can't do on the s-sabbath. One of them is building a fire and that includes s-starting a car or using electricity. Erm...I'm not quite that strict b-but I try to include some sacrifice in my observance...so I walk."

Alison: That was...yeah, okay, it was weird but Alison just smiled right along with it. Things like this were often weird, after all, so why not Walt's? "It's nice, really, gives you more time."

Walt: "At least I really get my r-...rest, eh?" Walt said. Yes! he didn't stutter that time!

Alison: "Exactly! Though I guess with it being Saturday it cuts into the usual social time...or do you just do all of that Friday?"

Walt: "Uhm...well, I don't consider socializing w-work really and there's no rule saying 'thou shalt not have fun,'" Walt said. "Like I said, I'm sort of f-flexible with the rules. I follow them up and until following them w-would be counterproductive, right? So, for instance, some p-people in the community take the 'don't build a fire' rule to mean we can't cook at all, but I j-just use the microwave and stuff. So...I'm not that good a Jew, I guess." He shrugged. "I b-believe in moderation and not shoving my beliefs down other's throats. I'm Canadian a-after all."

Alison: "I more meant if everyone took off somewhere, or does it count when a non-Jewish person is driving? That could lead to a lot of cheating though so I guess it can go either way. I imagine you're a fine Jew." Alison shrugged as she assured him even though she would't know much about it.

Walt: "...You know, I n-never really thought about it, but I guess I could s-so long as me or someone else that wasn't observant wasn't driving." He kicked at a pile of leaves, sending various colour flying everywhere. "I like to think of it as b-being thoughtful. Following the rules is nice, b-but if you just follow them blindly t-that seems sort of...I dunno." He was going to say 'stupid' but that didn't sound very nice.

Alison: Alison nodded at that, quite agreeing with what he was saying. "I know what you mean, I'm the same way. I mean, my mother's family is way into adhering to the rules part of it but I think they miss some of the actual point of things."

Alison: That was...yeah, okay, it was weird but Alison just smiled right along with it. Things like this were often weird, after all, so why not Walt's? "It's nice, really, gives you more time."

Walt: "At least I really get my r-...rest, eh?" Walt said. Yes! he didn't stutter that time!

Alison: "Exactly! Though I guess with it being Saturday it cuts into the usual social time...or do you just do all of that friday?"

Walt: "Uhm...well, I don't consider socializing w-work really and there's no rule saying 'thou shalt not have fun,'" Walt said. "Like I said, I'm sort of f-flexible with the rules. I follow them up and until following them w-would be counterproductive, right? So, for instance, some p-people in the community take the 'don't build a fire' rule to mean we can't cook at all, but I j-just use the microwave and stuff. So...I'm not that good a Jew, I guess." He shrugged. "I b-believe in moderation and not shoving my beliefs down other's throats. I'm Canadian a-after all."

Alison: "I more meant if everyone took off somewhere, or does it count when a non-Jewish person is driving? That could lead to a lot of cheating though so I guess it can go either way. I imagine you're a fine Jew." Alison shrugged as she assured him even though she would't know much about it.

Walt: "...You know, I n-never really thought about it, but I guess I could s-so long as me or someone else that wasn't observant wasn't driving." He kicked at a pile of leaves, sending various colour flying everywhere. "I like to think of it as b-being thoughtful. Following the rules is nice, b-but if you just follow them blindly t-that seems sort of...I dunno." He was going to say 'stupid' but that didn't sound very nice.

Alison: Alison nodded at that, quite agreeing with what he was saying. "I know what you mean, I'm the same way. I mean, my mother's family is way into adhering to the rules part of it but I think they miss some of the actual point of things."

Walt: Walt frowned a little. "How so?"

Alison: "Like if someone were doing your walking thing but wasn't paying attention to the reason behind it and went on about how everyone should do it their way."

Walt: Walt's brow furrowed. "Uhm...so you mean like y-your family's really...strict or something?" Actually the word he was thinking of was 'fundamentalist' but he didn't think that'd be so wise to say. "Would they h-have problems with you being friends with me?" he asked, curious.

Alison: "Well, I don't think they'd have a problem with us being friends but they may have a few choice thoughts about me coming along with you." Alison giggled at what they might say.

Walt: Walt was just imagining how they'd see him. "Well, I'm not going to s-steal Christmas anytime soon, so I think you're safe enough," he said, making a small joke there.

Alison: "Why would you anyway? People celebrate it without religion anyway so I figure you can have a slice of Christmas if you want as it is...I mean you'll still get out of school for both."

Walt: Walt nodded. "I can and I h-...have. My family used to decorate a t-tree and exchange gifts. I think mostly because my parents thought we'd feel left out if we d-didn't. I actually like the trees," he admitted. "I like most things about that time of year though. I'm one of t-those people who actually like snow."

Walt: "We'll just wait and see when it snows who's got the fastest throw, hon. You may be surprised."

Walt: Walt nodded as they entered town and began to walk down the street the synagogue was on. "Yes, m'am."

Alison: She grinned brightly at that. "Now that's the right attitude...so...do I have to do anything special when I'm in there?"

Walt: Walt shook his head as they came up to the doors. "Just follow along. Really, no-one's g-going to know. It's n-not like you have a cross on your forehead or anything."

Alison: Alison did stop to make sure she didn't have any cross-shaped jewelry on...just in case. "Right then, thanks again for having me along."

Walt: "Yeah, you owe m-me," Walt said jokingly.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Re: 6/17 Instance: Oy Vey

Post by Slarti »