7/9 Instance: Home is Where the Horror Is

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

7/9 Instance: Home is Where the Horror Is

Post by Slarti »

Timelined for after [fic]In the Belly of the Beast.

<Viper> Viper smiled brightly at Jessica as she gave her the grand tour, "And through here is someone I would very much like you to meet." She gestured along one of the corridors signalling Jess to head down it. "I believe you may have had opportunity to encounter each other before but your paths did not cross."

<Jessica> Oh great. Another cryptic hint. Jess glanced around, suppressing the shudder from all the buzzing noises around her. She'd at least figured out what the first one meant.

<Rott> "I'm with you in a moment," the masked doctor said when the door to his lab slid open. "I'm with a patient at the moment." Said patient was determined to take a bite out of the man's leg, who was busy bashing its chitinous skull with a large wrench. Some more splashes of blood were added to the collection on his once white lab coat.

<Rott> A gargled screech was followed by something lying twitching on the ground. Algernon Rottwell stepped back and cracked his back, wiping some of the goo off his glasses. "There we go." He chucked the wrench over his shoulders and turned to greet his visitors.

<Rott> "Sorry about that." He wiped his gloves on the apron he was wearing. "I didn't know I was expecting too much when I asked a specimen to be restrained, that of course includes all of its limbs, especially for patients with more than four."

<Viper> "Indeed. I will see about having you sent some stronger restraints." Viper glanced around the mess in the room, "How is it coming? I believe I may have someone who can help you keep them under control." She glanced over her shoulder to where Jessica stood in the doorway.

<Jessica> Jessica felt vaguely sick as she looked around the lab and at the man in the formally white coat. "Help...?" She asked, her voice barely climbing above a whisper.

<Rott> "Ah, our latest guest, I presume." Rott pulled off the filthy gloves and removed his surgical mask. "Please excuse the mess, as I wasn't expecting any visitors. Not that I would have cleaned up if I had, but it's the thought that counts, no? After all, you can't do proper science without getting your hands dirty."

<Rott> He tossed the used gloves into a nearby bin. "Bob! Would you be so kind and dispose of my patient?" A stressed looking Hydra agent shuffled by with a broom and a bucket in hands.

<Viper> "Yes, this is Jessica." Viper hooked Jessica's arm to pull her further into the room, "This is the one I was telling you about who could affect my little broodlings."

<Jessica> Jess chewed her lip and shifted awkwardly. "It didn't work very well..."

<Rott> Rott clapped his hands together, looking quite excited at the prospect. "Ah, yes, Miss Drew, from the fabled school for gifted young talents." He tilted his head, studying the young woman for a moment. "So much potential squandered at that place, if you ask me."

<Rott> "Never too late to live up to it, though. Just look at me!" Flashing a grin, he spread his arms. "Would you believe I wasted years as a mere surgeon before I discovered my true calling?"

<Jessica> Jess shook her head, "No... I would never make the mistake of thinking that..."

<Viper> Viper laughed, "So funny." She patted her fondly. "And yes, I have been trying to tell Jessica that she is much better off here but she doesn't seem willing to believe me. Perhaps you can persuade her otherwise?"

<Rott> "Well, I still have have much work to do, but I believe I can leave that to the hands of my more or less capable assistants for a while," Rott replied, gleefully rubbing his hands. "After all, we shouldn't forget that science is more than just creating nightmarish horrors that defy nature by their very existence."

<Rott> He raised a finger into the air. "It's also about enlightening the minds of those willing to learn."

<Jessica> "I'm willing to learn... just not here... I want to go home..."

<Viper> "But, Jessica, this is your home now. I keep telling you that." Viper shook her head. "She isn't very good at listening."

<Rott> "Just wait until you've seen all the delightful things we have to offer here, young lady." Rott stepped past the two woman and led them to another door leading out of his lab. "I was skeptical at first, too, until my benefactor here showed me that is the place where I can be all that I was meant to be."

<Rott> "Here we shape the future, and you can be part of it." They entered a long hallway, one side lined with tall windows, offering a look at the large facility on the other side. Workers in protective suits were handling insectoid creatures of varying shapes and sizes, herding them into massive, sturdily built cages.

<Jessica> Jess stared through the windows. There were so many of them... Even as she watched, one of the creatures broke loose and had devoured one of the Hydra agents' heads before it was subdued.

<Viper> Viper tutted, shaking her head, "They never learn. I keep telling them they need to be fed before they are moved."

<Rott> "Their numbers grow too quickly," Rott remarked, pacing down the hallway at a leisurely pace. "The last shipment of cattle was devoured almost as soon as it was delivered. Unless we want to risk chaotic infighting among the horde, I suggest we find another outlet to quell their numbers to a more manageable level soon."

<Rott> He looked over his shoulder at his employer. "Maybe have them eat a small town or two, that should do."

<Viper> Viper nodded, "Yes, I do think that will have to be our next step... and it would be nice to let them out to stretch their wings properly." She watched the broodlings getting situated in their cages for a little while longer. "But we need a more foolproof method of controlling them before I can allow them loose in the world. We want them to come home, after all." She eyed Jessica.

<Rott> "Yes... while I admit it can be quite satisfying to engage in wanton destruction every now and then, what good is a weapon that you can't properly aim?" Rott turned and fixed Jessica with a sly little smirk. "This is where you could come in, Jessica. You could help Miss Viper here to turn them into a more... precise tool."

<Rott> He shrugged his shoulders and put on a goofy grin. "If not, I guess we'll just have to let them run loose in populated areas again, no?"

<Viper> "It is fun to watch them chase things." Viper agreed. "But I would like them to be more controllable... perhaps we can work something out... with Jessica's cooperation, of course."

<Jessica> "Oh so this is actually my choice? And you're not just pretending like with the part where I can leave if I want to?"

<Viper> Viper raised an eyebrow at her outburst, her expression just this side of dangerous.

<Rott> "Well, you could either help us control them, for which we would be very grateful, and have them only harm those Miss Viper here intends to hurt, or you leave us to it." Rott rolled his head from one side to the other. "Which would eventually lead to the same results, just with a lot more collateral damage."

<Rott> "I would call that choice," he added with a nod.

<Jessica> "Not much of one..." Jess protested.

<Rott> "If it were an easy one, where would be the fun in watching you squirm over it?" Rott chuckled, before he turned to continue his little tour, approaching the armored door at the end of the corridor. "Don't worry, though, maybe you'll just need a little more... incentive."

<Rott> The large doors slid open with a rumble when the three of them approached, revealing a larger and far cleaner laboratory than the one before - if one were to overlook the numerous brains floating inside of transparent tubes, interconnected through intricate wiring.

<Jessica> Jess stopped in the doorway, "What the fuck....?" Brains. They were brains. "What the hell is this?!"

<Rott> "My personal side-project, if you want to call it that." Rott announced with quite some pride, holding out his arms as they proceeded into the eerie room. "As interesting as an army of genetically engineered killer insects may be, harnessing the power inherent in your kind's flesh and blood still is where my expertise lies."

<Rott> "The mutant growth hormone, discovered with some help by our late cannibalistic friends, opened the door to sheer unlimited possibilities. It allows me to transfer the abilities of a donor to any number of suitable recipients - consent optional in either case." He stepped up to the larger jar in the center of the room.

<Rott> "Thanks to the unique gray matter of a mutual friend of ours, I was able to progress from manipulating mere viscera." Rott tapped the glass containing the single brain. A fake pink mohawk had been glued to the top of the jar. "Now the realm of thoughts has become my playing field."

<Jessica> Jess' hands went up to cover her mouth at the realisation of whose brain that was. "Oh my God..." she shook her head, "I get to keep my brain in my head, right?"

<Viper> Viper laughed, "Oh, Jessica darling, I already told you that I have no intention of harming you."

<Rott> "Besides, your brain is far more useful to us inside that pretty little head of yours," Rott commented, turning around to show their guest a grin. "Unlike Mister Quire here, who has lost nothing of his usefulness - only his irritating mouth. So I consider that an improvement."

<Rott> The faint shape of a psychic hand materialized in front of the jar and flipped the doctor the finger. "As you can see, he lost nothing of his attitude, though."

<Rott> "In any case, this shall only serve as a reminder that should you not come to see things our way, my mind-machine here might help you... gain another perspective." His smile became predatory.

<Viper> Viper raised an eyebrow at Rott at the half threat where Jess couldn't see. "You will come to see things our way, Jessica. I promise it's all for the best." She gave her a pleasant smile.

<Rott> Rott responded to that with a wry smile. "Why yes, I'm sure she will," he said quickly. "She hasn't seen half of our exciting little projects. Shall we?" He motioned them back to the exit. "How about we pay a visit to my colleagues from the Facility? Last I've seen, they did some intriguing things with that silver putty."

<Viper> "Oh that is an excellent idea!" Viper looked positively gleeful, "I haven't visited my babies today!"

<Rott> "Maybe it would help convince your young friend here if she got to keep one of the puppies for herself," Rott suggested with a laugh, leading the way.

<Viper> "Oh yes! Would you like a pet, Jessica? You can have any of them that you want! They are quite charming!"

<Jessica> Jess was very worried what to expect from anything Viper described as 'charming'.

<Rott> Taking another route through the sizeable complex, they passed large industrial halls where unusual weapons were tested and vehicles of obviously military nature were being worked on. "As long as they get their daily ration of fresh meat, I've found them to be quite manageable, in fact." Rott commented. "Just remember not to hand feed them."

<Viper> "It is entirely possible to hand feed them if you are careful." Viper corrected, "Of course, if you fear them they know this and will take advantage." Viper was the first through the door and went to greet her favourite of the silvery assassins.

<Rott> The doctor and his guest didn't get a nearly as cheerful greeting as Viper did, silver heads turning to inspect the newcomers with menacing growls. "Good... doggy?" Rott wasn't sure what the creature once had been, not transformed into a frightening chimera covered in liquid metal. "I'm glad they seem to have made those advances in conditioning them as they had promised."

<Viper> Viper patted the head of her favourite fondly as it followed her to the fridge where the raw meat was stored. She took out a choice cut, held up a finger to her pet and waited for it to sit patiently before feeding it. "They have shown a remarkable capacity for learning." As she had clearly demonstrated.

<Viper> She left her favourite to eat and went to one of the smaller models, taking it out for Jessica to look at. "How about this one?"

<Jessica> Jess blinked and eyed the creature she was being offered. "For what?"

<Rott> "Well, it looks big enough to ride on," Rott remarked from the sidelines. "Of course, this is only what I might attempt too."

<Viper> Viper laughed, leading the creature over to Jess, "For you to keep.... of course there are other even smaller versions if you would prefer something more like a lapdog for a guard dog?" She cocked her head on one side, "They can change their shapes you know. They can look quite harmless when they want to."

<Jessica> Jess eyed the creature again, sincerely doubting that. "Oh yeah?"

<Rott> "They rarely want to, however," Rott remarked, stepping up behind Jessica. "By the way, should you wish for any help with tending to it, I could always lend you one of my assistants. Bob doesn't appear to be very happy with his current position, anyway, not since one of our specimens nipped him in the rear."

<Jessica> Jess chewed her lip, deciding she should just at least try and make the woman happy. Maybe she'd let her go if she kept doing things for her? "O-okay... maybe a little one?" she pointed to the smallest of the creatures - it was a little larger than the average house cat.

<Viper> Viper was a little a disappointed that she hadn't been bolder but she supposed there was time for her to change her mind later. "Excellent!" She went to retrieve it, holding it out to Jessica for her to take. "Perhaps Agent Bob can help you get him or her situated in your room? I am sure you would like the time to bond, yes?"

<Jessica> "Uh... okay....?" Jess was more than a little unsure about taking a creature that clearly had a taste for raw meat into the room she had to sleep in. She held the wriggling silver mass in her arms and waited for it to settle down.

<Rott> "It looks like you've got your hands full at the moment." Rott chuckled at the young woman and her new pet. "So, unless you still need me as your hiking guide, I would like to see what Harkins and Geddiman are working on back there - and hopefully mock it." He thumbed over his shoulder towards the control room at the end of the hall.

<Viper> "Oh please do!" Viper smiled at him, "Perhaps tomorrow we can see about letting Jessica meet some of my broodlings and let her talk to them." She moved to the door, her favourite silvery pet following at her heels. "Come, Jessica, let us find you some toys and a bed for your new pet."

<Jessica> "Okay..." Jess chewed her lip some more, looking down at the thing in her arms. It seemed to have settled now into some sort of spikey otter shape though the spikes were at least not sharp.
TechPrincess
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Little BABY!! Fairy <3
Nightscrawlearth Character: :jean :emma :husk

Re: 7/9 Instance: Home is Where the Horror Is

Post by TechPrincess »

This is why you don't go off meeting strangers alone, Jess!
Paige :husk -------- Emma :emma -------- Hope :jean
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I'm sorry, but all my attention just went to Agent Bob!
TechPrincess
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Little BABY!! Fairy <3
Nightscrawlearth Character: :jean :emma :husk

Post by TechPrincess »

Well he is Deadpool's friend.
Paige :husk -------- Emma :emma -------- Hope :jean
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Sebastian draws the line at her bringing home the killer silver otter.