1/19 Instance: Don't Lose Your Head Now

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

1/19 Instance: Don't Lose Your Head Now

Post by Starfish »

Timeline: Current.

Erik: The cup of coffee stood cold and forgotten on his office desk, the news reports flashing across Erik's screen keeping his attention captive. His expression remained unmoving, but the slight, continuous shifting of his jaw betrayed the man's tension. He had muted the sound, but the images alone were enough to portray the chaos and mayhem.

Carol: Carol didn't bother to knock, simply opening the door and marching in (it wasn't like he could fire her). "We have a problem." She deposited the robot head on his desk.

Erik: Erik blinked, first at the metallic head on his desk, then at the woman who had brought it in. "Obviously," he stated, turning around in his chair. "Someone dumped a pile of trash on my desk."

Erik: He picked up his cup and put it out of the way, then looked at the mechanical thing in front of him. "All joking aside, I already heard the news." He nodded towards the screen. "I think everyone did."

Carol: "It's worse than you think it is." She sat down uninvited and leaned back in her chair. She hadn't even had time to get a cup of coffee since they'd gotten back - she'd been on the phone with Fury. "There's some things I've been keeping from you guys until I knew more, I mentioned the suits to you a while back. The only thing I knew about them was the department they worked for."

Carol: She sighed, "The Sentinel Department. These are the same guys that have been keeping you and SHIELD out of mutant related crime scenes and off your own property. The same guys that have cleared out equipment from the Westchester site. And they have backing from some areas of the government."

Erik: "We have our own share of secrets, so don't sweat it," Erik replied as he got out of his chair. He grabbed the cup and stepped over to the counter by the wall. "Coffee? You look like you need one - and I know I do."

Erik: Without waiting for the young officer's answer, he began to prepare the coffee machine. "And as much as I'd like to say that I'm shocked by this revelation, I already feared something like this would be the case."

Carol: "Coffee would be great. It wouldn't even have to be good coffee at this point." She ran a hand through her hair, not really caring about the machine oil all over it from the head. "Right now, Fury's got people looking into it but we have to be careful. We can't dig too deep without getting SHIELD in a lot of trouble and if we get in trouble, that puts this place in hot water too."

Erik: "Are you trying to tell me that electing our mutant sympathising playboy as president didn't bring about acceptance of our kind everywhere overnight?" Erik looked over his shoulder and chuckled darkly. "So we've got a bunch of bigots in Washington and law enforcement agencies targeting mutants - what else is new?"

Erik: He turned around, his gaze lingering on the robotic remains on his desk. "Aside from the toys they use."

Carol: "The toys are the problem. They're billed as defensive but the energy they put out? Not so much. If I wasn't gifted with the ability to absorb their energy I'd probably not be sitting here to tell you this right now. They're dangerous. Fortunately we kind of proved that they're not as awesome as he was making them out to be because Bobby and I took care of them by ourselves but he'll fix that."

Erik: While the coffee machine sputtered behind him, Erik leaned against the counter and watched the severed head, his arms crossed in front of his chest. "An arms race between evolution and engineering," he muttered, then held out his right hand. The metallic head on his desk began to stir, slowly rising into the air.

Erik: "I presume this was bound to happen someday," he said, rotating the damaged hardware to inspect it from all angles. "Sooner or later, they would try to close the gap between them and us. The drugs and devices to suppress our powers were only the first step."

Carol: "Don't take it apart, I want to keep it as a souvenier." She watched it slowly spin around, "I might let Sebastian look at it, I haven't decided." She got to her feet, "The power suppressants aren't all bad, they at least have a use for us. These things are dangerous and they're going to generate fear on both sides. Not just here, either. There's already overseas interest."

Erik: "Hardly surprising," Erik replied, gently putting the head back down. "If these things can pose a threat to mutants, imagine how effective they have to be against regular humans. And unlike planes and tanks, its design allows it to walk freely amongst the population. The perfect weapon of terror for an age where rulers fight their own people."

Erik: "I can ask Doctor McCoy and his little assistant to lend a hand." He nodded and turned back around when the last drops of coffee dripped into the two cups. "We need to know exactly what we're dealing with here and what these things are capable of. Sugar or milk?"

Carol: She shook her head, "Neither.... and I'm pretty sure we can get the specs now that they're on the market." She held a hand out for the coffee, "They have gliders too to ride around on - Bobby has one of those. He can't steer worth shit but I guess that's practice."

Erik: "Then I hope he practises far away from my car," Erik remarked, placing one of the cups in front of Carol and the other on his side of the desk. "And while that will undoubtedly prove very helpful, what I'm really worried about is what they might come up with in the future. You said they're working on these things?"

Carol: She picked up the coffee, taking a sip, "After what happened today? I wouldn't be surprised at all. We showed them up pretty bad so they'll want to fix that or no one'll buy the damn things."

Erik: "In other words, should we have to deal with this Sentinel Department again - and I guess you share my suspicion that we will - we best be prepared for some surprises," Erik said, giving the woman across from him a lopsided smile as he sat down. "This could become problematic."

Carol: "It's already problematic. Look, the reason I'm telling you all of this is because I think other people need to know now. It's getting dangerous and the kids need preparing. I'm not saying tell the kids but at least tell the staff what we know and I'll try and help in any way I can with more information. I think it's about time I call to check up on my brother."

Erik: Erik picked up his own cup and took a careful sip, smiling around the edge. "I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if those kids didn't already know more than we do," he replied with a soft chuckle, turning serious once more an instant later. "You're right, of course. We need to discuss how to best prepare ourselves for this new situation."

Carol: "I don't know, a lot of them are very... distracted." She could so be diplomatic. "So let's not assume anything about what they know. Better to just lay it out there and if they know more then they can tell us. I'll tell you what I find out when I have it."

Erik: Erik nodded, tapping his chin as she leaned back in his chair and looked back at the severed robot head on his desk. "I guess it's too late to reconsider my position as headmaster of this school, no?"

Carol: "Probably... I don't think anyone else'd want it, anyway." She sat back down again, "This is such a mess."

Erik: "When isn't it?" Erik did his best impression of an encouraging smile, the warm cup cradled between his fingers. "We've weathered other storms before." He took another sip of coffee. "They just keep getting stronger."

Carol: "Then I think it's a good job we have allies for you guys. We'll help you as best as we can just... as long as you understand that, with some things, my hands will be tied."

Erik: Erik's smile grew bigger. "No worries, Colonel, we appreciate any help we can get," he told the young woman. "And while I can assure you of my deepest gratitude for all that you've already done for us, I'm afraid I must ask you for one more little favour."

Carol: "I'll do what I can... what is it?"

Erik: "When you leave, could you please take that thing with you?" He nodded towards the robot head, flashing a wry grin as he raised the cup to his lips.

Carol: "Oh sure!" She laughed, "I'm going to keep it in my office. It'll be nice for when I get off the phone and want to hurl abuse at something."

Erik: "Remind me to never agree to having my office moved too close to yours." Erik laughed, before his gaze returned to the destroyed machine in front of him. "You know, we should probably look into who exactly made these - and how. Technology like this isn't something you except to see paraded downtown."

Carol: "I know and I'm all over it... and pretty soon it will be paraded downtown by people afraid of mutants that are stupid enough to buy them."

Erik: "If it really comes to that, let's hope they at least fix the problem with the going randomly berserk issue," Erik remarked and took another sip of his coffee.

Carol: "Yeah, not sure that was a bug but that's a whole other issue..." she shook her head, wondering what SHIELD had done with the would-be bomber. "I guess I'll go and leave you to it now..."

Erik: Erik nodded. "I'll arrange a staff meeting as quickly as possible, and then we'll see about how to best inform the students." He put down his cup and smiled at her. "Good luck in your research, Colonel."

Carol: "It's not my research you need to worry about so there's probably not a lot of issues there." She got out of her seat again and picked up the head, "My brother's pretty useful in that department."

Erik: "Well, then be so kind and give him my thanks, yes?" Erik leaned back in his chair and grinned at the colonel, his hand reaching for his cup again.

Carol: "I will do that," she gave him a smile then let herself out. More phonecalls.
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Re: 1/19 Instance: Don't Lose Your Head Now

Post by Slarti »

I think we need to see more of headmaster Magneto. :shifty

And you guys are gonna make me google Carol's brother, aren't you?

SIGH.