8/21 Instance: Dumb Luck

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

8/21 Instance: Dumb Luck

Post by Svartfreja »

Concurrent to the first half of [Instance]Detention!

<Carol> The return trip to Earth had gone off without a hitch which was something at least, but it would have been far more enjoyable from her perspective if she wasn't pissed off, worried and trying not to hurry so the ship didn't burn up in the atmosphere. Once back at the school, she left the kids to supervise themselves taking off all their equipment and went up to the main building at speed.

<Carol> She didn't knock when she got to Cessily's office. "We have a problem."

<Cessily> "Yes, I know," Cessily replied, taking the sudden intrusion much better than the kid sitting across from her. "Nothing a little sign couldn't fix, though." She smiled at the officer who had just barged into the privacy of her office. "Unless you're not talking about people just waltzing in on a confidential counselling session."

<Carol> "Sorry..." Carol frowned, "But no... I wasn't talking about that.... something else entirely that's potentially going to get me in a lot of trouble... with Fury...."

<Cessily> Her shiny smile wavered. "Speaking of things best discussed in private..." The silver school counsellor turned to the young mutant in front of her when she noticed the purple boy perk up at Carol's words. "Would you mind if we took a break here and picked up another time?"

<Cessily> "I'm terribly sorry, but I'm afraid this is a really urgent matter that can't wait, so if you could excuse us for now, I promise to find more time for you as soon as possible." Cessily's kind words and Carol's barely contained anger were enough to convince the student to pack up his things and leave.

<Carol> Carol watched the kid leave then closed the door behind her, pushing her hands through her hair. "You know I had that space thing today?"

<Cessily> "Oh yes, how did that go?" Cessily rose from her chair to properly greet Carol, but her shiny face took on a shocked expression when an inevitable thought intruded on her mind. "Oh my God, please tell me we didn't lose any of the kids up there..."

<Carol> The look Carol gave her said that was just what the problem was. "Everything was fine, even when Broo ripped his suit open on one of Warren's wings - turns out the kid can breathe in space. But with all the solar energy and everything, Warren had to discharge before we got back on the ship and then Tyrone decided to be a dumbass and started teleporting around. There's no gravity up there to direct yourself properly and... he decided to try teleporting back down."

<Cessily> Cessily stared at Carol, silver eyes wide with horror, chewing on her lip as she listened to the young officer's story. "And he..." she began, stumbling over her words as she felt her fingers start to tremble. "You wouldn't be here if it worked as planned..."

<Carol> "The comms don't have the best range... he could still be okay but he's not here and I have no idea where to even start looking. He could literally be anywhere... here or... out there..." She bowed her face into her hands.

<Cessily> "Oh no..." The young counsellor followed her instincts and promptly hugged her girlfriend, her metal fingers gently squeezing the officer's shoulder. "This is bad. Very bad. But not hopeless."

<Cessily> "I mean, maybe he's just lost." Leaning back, Cessily met Carol's gaze, trying her best to reassure the both of them. "He could still be alright, no?"

<Carol> Carol hugged back tightly, herself starting to shake, "I don't know what I'm supposed to do now... I don't know how to find him... if he'd have just listened to me when I told him he couldn't teleport all over... why don't they listen to me?"

<Cessily> "Because they never do," Cessily replied. "And why should they? I mean, look at us! We probably have to be the least responsible role models you can find." She ran a hand through her crimson hair as she paced through her office. "We have to do something. Anything..."

<Carol> "I know what I should do... but I also know what'll happen if I do..." Carol found a seat to collapse into. "It'll be taken out of my hands, I'll be taken off duty and probably have a disciplinary coming my way.... pretty sure they'll have no trouble finding people to tell them how irresponsible I am and how this was always bound to happen...."

<Cessily> Cessily rushed to Carol's side and crouched down to take her hand. "This isn't your fault, Carol," she insisted. "Yes, maybe our Moon adventure was a little reckless, but definitely not more irresponsible than expecting these kids to fight dangerous criminals as vigilantes."

<Cessily> The redhead paused, a frown forming on her silver forehead. "And maybe we really shouldn't be teaching anyone," she continued. "But you can't blame yourself for someone doing something stupid. And don't say you should have known better. We all underestimated the levels their stupidity can reach in the past."

<Carol> "You're familiar with how the military works, right? They're not going to care that it was the kid's fault for being a dumbass. All they're going to see is how much I nagged them for this opportunity and promised them that nothing would go wrong and that I failed to keep the promise. I'm the one that's going to catch the blame for this because they're kids and I should know better... and I'm pretty sure his parents will have a few things to say too..."

<Cessily> "I know, I know." Cessily held up her hands. "I'm not that naive, you know?" She cracked a faint smile, before letting out a sigh. "But beating up yourself isn't going to help you either." Now the smile returned in force. "Besides, we're only wasting time better spent on finding Tyrone before we have to tell Fury."

<Carol> "I think I might need SHIELD resources to find him... that's where I hit the problem... I was thinking about this all the way down... We need access to satelite tracking..."

<Cessily> "You're probably right," Cessily said, trying to keep her thoughts focused on finding the student, not on all the terrible things that could have happened to him. "I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for him."

<Cessily> She paused her pacing and turned to Carol. "Maybe one of the psychics can help us."

<Carol> "...." Carol just stared at her. "You know the only one with any range is completely loopy, right?"

<Cessily> "I'm only trying to help," Cessily replied. "I know it's not the best idea, but you gotta admit our options are limited." She leaned against her desk and hung her head. "I'd say anything we can think of that might help us find him is worth a shot, no?"

<Carol> Carol nodded, sighing heavily, "I really don't want to think about what happens if we don't find him..."

<Cessily> "I know, but... don't do that to yourself." She stretched her arm so she could reach out and squeeze her girlfriend's hand. "Not while there's still hope."

<Carol> "I can't help it, my tendancy is to expect the worst because, with my luck, that's what often happens..." she scrubbed her face with her free hand then pulled a face when her phone started ringing. She really didn't want to deal with phonecalls right now but she dug it out of her pocket anyway, eyebrow raising at the caller ID.

<Cessily> "I don't know, they say the biggest idiots often have the dumbest luck," Cessily remarked, before watching Carol handle her phone.

<Carol> Carol answered the call, "This better be good because I'm really not in the mood right now.... What do you mean you know? ... He's where?!" Carol let out a string of curses, "If I thought I could make it there and back in time those things would be aimed at his ass! ... No, I got it..." She hung up the phone. "I'm going to fucking kill that kid myself!"

<Cessily> Cessily blinked, before sending Carol a grin from a safe distance away. "Hey, that's great news! Means he's still alive, right?"

<Carol> "Oh yeah that's great except for the part where he's on a Russian military ship and has just fired missiles at the school."

<Cessily> The grin faded from her face, replaced by the blank stare of horror. "He did what?"

<Carol> "Yeah... hold this..." she shoved her phone at Cessily, "I gotta go catch them."

<Cessily> "Okay, have fun," Cessily said before she even knew what was happening. She then looked at the phone in her hand. "And whoever that is, tell them to stop shooting at us!"

<Carol> "It was Tyrone. That little delinquant... if Pietro calls back, I'm on my way." She gave Cessily a quick kiss then darted out the door.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6