8/26 Instance: The Right Direction

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

8/26 Instance: The Right Direction

Post by Svartfreja »

Few days after [Instance]Grey Truths.

<Jessica> Jess, despite her location, still enjoyed her early morning tai chi sessions but at Hydra there was one small difference. She had a group of people, a rather large group, that she was teaching the movements to one day at a time. Once the tai chi was done they went into hand to hand training and, although she was now not really in much of a condition to test them herself, she still supervised.

<Shaw> Sebastian, though familiar with martial arts in an academic sense, had occasionally joined her for tai chi. However, his strength and daily stress-reducer and power-booster lay in punching things. Hydra's gym was well-equipped, and he didn't see the harm in Sarkissian's lackeys seeing him destroying the occasional bag.

<Jessica> Occasionally, though, one or the other agent would do or say something stupid and she'd have to teach them a lesson which usually involved zapping them into unconsciousness or throwing them through a wall (conveniently allowing them to test out whatever upgraded body armour they happened to be wearing). Today was a through the wall day.

<Shaw> His own workout finished, Sebastian decided to find Jess and see if she had completed her own slow-motion workout. Things had been somewhat awkward and tense between them still, but improving over the last several days.

<Shaw> Jessica felt irritated through their link, but he didn't snoop into the why of it. Instead, he located her and dried the sweat from his hair with a towel, tossing it into the face of a lackey he passed in the hall.

<Jessica> The subject of Jessica's irritation burst through the wall behind him, also hitting the unfortunate lackey in the face. Jessica dusted off her hands, "Anyone else like to question my methods?"

<Shaw> Already wired from his workout, Sebastian jumped back from the chaos and took a fast moment to survey it. Were they under attack? Then, he heard her voice. "Jessica?" his tone was incredulous and he soon peered through the hole in the wall at her... and the lackeys at her command.

<Jessica> There was a shaking of heads from her trainees and she shooed them back to their mats, taking a seat and glancing out into the hall to check the one she'd thrown had gotten up... then she spotted Sebastian. "Oh! Hi!" she grinned.

<Shaw> "Hello," he said slowly, looking down the hall for the door to the room, then back at the two men groaning in the hall. One was still wearing his towel.

<Jessica> There was movement, they were fine. "Door's that way," she pointed, "Unless you want to climb in through the hole I just made."

<Shaw> "The door is fine," he said, tone still careful. Sparing one more glance at the two men, he straightened and went into the room. "Well, I see you're... keeping yourself busy."

<Jessica> "I have to do something with all this free time and pent up rage." She gave him another grin and offered him a bottle of water.

<Shaw> His eyebrow raised, but he accepted the water, cocking his head and leaning in to give her a quick kiss. "So I see."

<Jessica> "I have minions! How awesome is this?" she gestured at her assigned group of the day practicing different forms of martial arts depending on what colour their mats were.

<Shaw> Sure enough, she had minions. "Yes," he laughed. He could hardly criticize her for having minions, after all.

<Jessica> "Watch what happens!" She picked up a small bell and rang it. They all moved one mat to the right. New colour, new discipline. "If they complain that happens," she thumbed to the wall, "Or sometimes I'm feeling lazy and I just zap them. Viper says it's good for them."

<Shaw> "Oh, I'm sure she does." The lackeys - minions, as she said - switched their sparring styles. "How long have you been doing this?"

<Jessica> Jess gave a half shrug, "I don't know... wait... do you mean today or in general?"

<Shaw> "In general." He unscrewed the lid on the water and took a sip, gaze flicking between Jessica and her minions.

<Jessica> "Since before Julia came here... I was very angry and I kept punching people so Viper decided to give me an outlet where people expected to be punched..."

<Shaw> "Ah." Well, the reason for her anger then was no mystery and truth be told he knew the reason she was angry now as well. "You certainly seem to be good at it," he said cautiously.

<Jessica> "You know I'm technically qualified to teach, right? I never took any formal exams but I know all the stuff... Viper says she can fix that but I haven't decided what to do with it yet..."

<Shaw> "Yes, I did know that, and I believe I've offered to assist you with that before as well." He found himself unaccountably wounded she'd accept Sarkissian's help over his own.

<Jessica> "Yes... I know... but she actually knows the people that taught me and where they are... kind of need that information. But anyway that's not the point," she waved it off, "I don't know if I want to teach or not... this is like a trial run sort of..."

<Shaw> "Ah," he said again. Taking a swig of water saved him from a further response.

<Jessica> "I can try out any profession here... I should think of more..... Ooooooh I could cook all day! I need to look into this."

<Shaw> Sebastian reminded himself he had no room to criticize anything and nodded. More water seemed in order.

<Jessica> Deciding that now was as good a time as any to look into the prospect of cooking all day, Jess got to her feet. The trainees looked hopeful until she picked up a tablet and waved it in the air, "I'm still watching."

<Shaw> She had them cowed, and he had to admit he was impressed. Casting an eye over the group, he moved closer to Jessica to see what she was doing.

<Jessica> Rather than go all the way down to the kitchen and ask in there when they were probably already busy with preparing lunch, Jess decided to go into one of the offices along the hall and borrow a phone. She found an empty one, poked a few buttons on a console then zapped it and smiled triumphantly when the door opened to admit her.

<Shaw> Sebastian followed her like a dark, sweaty shadow.

<Jessica> Jess set the tablet down on the desk and picked up the phone, dialing Viper's extension number and plonking herself down in one of the comfy seats.

<Shaw> Snooping didn't seem to serve him terribly well, as there was nothing of interest in the office, so he watched the minions spar on her tablet. "So, have you thought to subvert their loyalties to you instead of Sarkissian?"

<Jessica> Jess raised an eyebrow at him, "Why would I want to do that? Where would I put them?"

<Shaw> He shrugged and flashed her a predatory grin. "It never hurts."

<Jessica> "But where would I keep th- Hold that thought. Hi, I have a question, is now a good time... no that wasn't the question."

<Shaw> She was missing the entire point, and so he tsked and picked up the tablet to watch, sitting on the edge of the desk as he sipped his water and listened in.

<Jessica> "Is there space in the kitchen for me to cook? Please don't fire anyone, I just want to bake..." she chewed the corner of her lip, "Well... maybe more than just today.... maybe a little bit? ... really? Yay! Thanks!" she beamed and put the phone down and tried not to bounce.

<Shaw> "Sensei today, chef tomorrow?" Her excitement made him grin and Sebastian offered her his hand.

<Jessica> She took his hand, "Yes! And maybe all the days, she's going to talk to them about me making the desserts. I like making desserts."

<Shaw> "Sweets for the sweet," he smirked, pulling her closer and giving her a swift kiss.

<Jessica> She returned the kiss and wrapped her arms around him for a hug, then got distracted by the tablet and hit a button on it that made a bell ring in the training hall.

<Shaw> He returned the hug happily and laughed at the reaction to the bell. "You have them well trained, love."

<Jessica> "Of course! Good discipline and respect for your sensei are the first lessons." She nodded sagely.

<Shaw> "Domo arigato gozaimasu," he said, bowing his head slightly as he smirked.

<Jessica> She grinned and pressed a kiss to his cheek, "Okay, let's get out of here before whosever office I stole comes back...."

<Shaw> "Agreed." He laughed and gave her a squeeze and a pat on the rear before he let her go and got to his feet. "Are you finished until your tour begins in the kitchen?"

<Jessica> "Well I should really keep them going another half hour... buuuut I can set this on a loop and they won't know the difference...."

<Shaw> "That's the spirit! The proper management of minions is quite important, after all."

<Jessica> She giggled, finding the buttons that did just that, "You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

<Shaw> "Yes, I really am!" He took her free hand after she set her marching orders for her minions.

<Jessica> "Are you impressed that I can be bossy?"

<Shaw> "I knew you could be bossy, but I thought it was limited to me." Cocking his head, he tugged her toward the door.

<Jessica> She shook her head, going to the door, "Nooooo of course not, I bossed the President. No one is safe."

<Shaw> Sebastian grinned. "I do love an assertive woman."

<Jessica> "Hooray for me! Another thing to add to the list of reasons I am awesome."

<Shaw> They were barely to the hall, so Sebastian pulled her back inside the door and closed it, backing her up against it. "You are magnificent." He took in her face for a moment, then angled in for a kiss, his hands quickly finding her jaw and hair.

<Jessica> Jess was a little taken by surprise but she adapted quickly, throwing the tablet at a chair and hoping it didn't bounce right back off again and onto the floor. It did. Oh well.

<Shaw> Smiling into the kiss, he really could care less about Sarkissian's tablet.

<Jessica> [Time Passes]

<Jessica> The interlude had been fun (even that slightly alarming part when someone tried to open the door) but now she was hungry and Jess was wondering how to break the news to Sebastian who looked pretty comfortable where he was.

<Shaw> Sebastian was comfortable, and fairly certain he'd broken the desk, and where were his pants? The search took him to the other side of the desk, where he also picked up the tablet and checked it over before handing it back to Jessica. "I will grudgingly admit that seems of solid construction."

<Jessica> "Excellent," she giggled and took it, "You can't say anything bad about the tech, it'd be a lie."

<Shaw> "Perhaps, but there are many truths in life." He gave her the side eye as he yanked his pants up and zipped. "Mine is as good, if not better, of course."

<Jessica> "Except I don't get to play with all of yours and break it without disapproving looks. No one here gives me disapproving looks - they run in fear."

<Shaw> "Would I give you a disapproving look?" He pretended innocence and leaned in to kiss her again as she dressed.

<Jessica> "You know you would... and then you'd act all offended when I zapped you for it."

<Shaw> He huffed in protest and moved toward the door, reaching for the handle.

<Jessica> "Don't pretend you wouldn't." She prodded him in the back as she came up behind him.

<Shaw> "I'm offended you think me so fickle," he laughed, dodging the poking and twisting to catch her hand and lead her to the hall.

<Jessica> "Not fickle... aloof." She gave him a cheeky grin.

<Shaw> "Aloof?" He managed to drip disdain in one word.

<Jessica> She laughed then, leaning against him, "Yes."

<Shaw> Sebastian scoffed and slid his arm around her waist, his hand resting on the bump of her belly. "We'll need to agree to disagree."

<Jessica> "That's okay, sooner or later you'll realise I'm right anyway."

<Shaw> He chuckled, turning his head to kiss her temple. "Of course." After taking a moment to nuzzle her, he sighed. "So, however shall we pass the time until you commandeer the kitchens?"

<Jessica> "Um... go back to our room and drink all the tea? Or we could shower... we should shower."

<Shaw> "Tea and a shower it is," he said with a nod and started off. "And perhaps a snack from our stash," he added with a chuckle. And coffee.

<Jessica> "Yes, food and tea and cleanness." She smiled sliding an arm around his waist to walk with him.

<Shaw> He enjoyed the comfortable silence as they strolled, and even a few pokes from the passenger in his wife's belly. That made him smile again.

<Jessica> Jess opened the door when they arrived, going in ahead of him and bending to pick up the excited silver corgi that hopped off the bed to run and greet them.

<Shaw> Sebastian gave the dog a scruff over its ears and went to the small kitchenette to put on his wife's kettle and his own coffee pot.

<Jessica> "Okay, Mommy has to go shower," she gave Sharky a final cuddle before setting him down again. "Won't be long..." probably.

<Shaw> His eyebrow lifted and he watched her walk by, then turned to follow her.

<Jessica> Maybe she would be a little while. She grinned over her shoulder at him.

<Shaw> [Time Passes - yes, again]

<Shaw> Even now that they were clean he hadn't bothered to locate a shirt. The water was more than ready for Jessica's tea, so he set it to steep and poured his own coffee, burying his nose in the cup so he could breathe deep. It was a rather good day after all, he supposed.

<Jessica> Jess settled against the counter beside him once she'd gotten most of the moisture off of her hair with the hairdryer and she wasn't dripping everywhere. In her hand, she held an envelope.

<Shaw> Sebastian gave her a kiss on the temple and put his arm around her again, then noticing she had something in her hand. "Is that...?"

<Jessica> She nodded, turning it over in her hands, "I think... it's time we opened it."

<Shaw> "I would like that, if it's what you want to do, love." He set his coffee down and turned to take her in his arms.

<Jessica> She chewed her lip and her hands were shaking but she was determined, "I'm ready."

<Shaw> "Would you like to do it?" He nuzzled her hair and used their link to share his reassurance.

<Jessica> She shook her head, pushing the envelope at his chest, "My hands are shaking too much..."

<Shaw> "All right, love." Sebastian took the envelope and settled her against his chest, taking a moment to cross his arms over her for a gentle squeeze before he slipped a finger under the flap to unseal the paper.

<Jessica> Jess slid her arms around him, resting her head on his shoulder, but her eyes never left the envelope.

<Shaw> He took the paper from the envelope and swallowed hard, his own hands shaking as he unfolded it. "Are you ready?" he whispered.

<Jessica> She nodded again, moving a hand to turn the paper toward them both and read what was on it.

<Shaw> Sebastian read it once, twice, three times, then laughed and squeezed her, his free hand moving to her belly. "Hello, little girl."

<Jessica> Jess burst into tears.

<Shaw> Shushing her, he crushed the paper to tuck her head beneath his chin and rocked to soothe her. "You're fine, love, and you're both fine."

<Jessica> "I know... I know..." she clung to him and buried her face against his neck. "I just... I can't go through that again...."

<Shaw> "You won't, love, we're safe here and she's healthy," he said, stroking her hair and her belly. "We'll be fine, and we'll be a family soon."

<Jessica> She nodded, taking a deep breath and trying to pull herself together.

<Shaw> He closed his eyes, hoping he'd told her the truth.

<Jessica> "We'll be okay..." she repeated to herself.

<Shaw> "We'll be okay." As if in response, he felt a thump against his hand and barked a short laugh. "I believe she agrees," he said, following the movement across her stomach.

<Jessica> Jess laughed too, putting her hand on her stomach as well, "Well let's hope she's right..."

<Shaw> "Of course she is." The tapping against their hands continued and his answering grin was bright. "She's a smart little girl."

<Jessica> "Yeah... kinda making me paranoid now..."

<Shaw> That made him laugh again and kiss her temple.

<Jessica> Jess shook herself and reached for her tea, "Aaaaaanyway... at some point we should probably think about getting that stuff back..."

<Shaw> "Ah yes, all the ducks." He loosened his hold and picked up his coffee, leading her to the sofa while Sharky danced around their feet.

<Jessica> "Yes all the ducks..." she gave a small smile, "But I suppose we need to know where to put it all too..."

<Shaw> He sat down and helped Jessica perch in his lap. "Well, I hope we'll be able to go home soon." He sipped his coffee and leaned his head against her.

<Jessica> "Really? Is there news?" She settled against him and sipped her tea.

<Shaw> "Yukio hoped to simply slip in and out, but instead she had to work to infiltrate the Lord Imperial's staff... she reported today that she believes she soon will be in position to complete her task."

<Jessica> "Good..." even though she was still a little upset that she didn't get to punch him.

<Shaw> "Very good," he said with a sigh, his hand again wandering to her belly.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6