9/20 Instance: Shinobi Surprise

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

9/20 Instance: Shinobi Surprise

Post by Svartfreja »

Day or so after [Instance]Update the Insurance Policy.

<Shaw> There was another forlorn whistle from the other room and Sebastian looked up from his dusting duties. Dusting. He still couldn't believe he was dusting, but at least if he was reduced to domestic duties it was in his own house. "Yes?"

<Shaw> Another whistle answered his response, this time sounding more frantic, and Sebastian dropped his dust cloth and stepped over some more cleaning supplies on the kitchen counter to hop to the floor. "I'm coming," he said, hearing a sad chirp.

<Shaw> As he rounded the corner heading to the stairwell, he paused. Where was it? He looked down the stairs, then moved around the elevator to look up the stairs to the next storey. "Where are you?"

<Shaw> This time he detected the echo in the whistle and stepped backward to stare at the closed elevator door. "...are you stuck?"

<Jessica> Jess peered down the stairwell from the library space, "What's going on?"

<Shaw> "Nothing," he said, unable to keep the laughter from his voice. Sebastian pressed the button and the elevator door slid open, but he still didn't see the robot. Confused now, he stepped inside. Where was a burble over his head and he looked up. "Well how did you get up there?"

<Shaw> He hadn't been aware a robot could look sheepish, but this one certainly did with its head poking through the access hatch at the top of the elevator car.

<Jessica> "Are you sure it's nothing?" Jess started down, hearing the echoing whistles from the elevator shaft.

<Shaw> "Widget got... lost." He pressed his lips together to keep from laughing aloud at the poor creature.

<Jessica> She came to a stop beside him and peered into the small space, "Huh... shall I go up and help him down? Pretty sure I can still get through there..."

<Shaw> He looked doubtfully at her bump, then back up at the small access hatch. "It would be a trick for either of us to fit, love." Extending a hand, he motioned for the robot to just come through.

<Shaw> Widget shook his head and backed up.

<Jessica> Jess looked at Sebastian again then climbed up the side of the lift and adhered herself to the ceiling of it to poke her head through the hatch, "What's the matter?"

<Shaw> There was a small explosion of whistles, burbles and chirps. Widget clearly had very strong opinions about the matter.

<Shaw> Sebastian chuckled low again and watched his wife stick to the ceiling. It was always fascinating, but doubly so with her pregnant belly.

<Jessica> "Aww, it's okay, you're not in trouble but you can't stay up there all day, can you? It's dirty and you'll get lonely. So, why don't you come down and then you can help me clean the library, okay?" she gave the robot a smile.

<Shaw> There was a sad little chirp and the robot moved back to the opening.

<Jessica> Jess moved out of the way for him but stayed nearby just in case his attempt to climb down resulted in a fall.

<Shaw> Sebastian watched the robot's awkward attempts to figure out his way down and started calculating design improvements. It was an exercise that quickly ended when Widget extended a gangly chrome and gold leg through the opening and slipped with an alarmed squeak.

<Jessica> Jess was prepared and supported the robot enough that he didn't land too heavily and dent the floor. "Whoops! There you go...."

<Shaw> He helped lower the robot and steadied him, exchanging a glance with Jess along with an amused smile. "See, you're fine."

<Shaw> Widget bolted from the elevator and stopped in the hall to turn and burble at them. Sebastian smirked and offered Jess his hand.

<Jessica> Jess took his hand and left the lift with him, giving widget another smile, "Why don't you go on up and I'll meet you there?"

<Shaw> He used the hand to tug her close and steal a kiss, resting his free hand on her belly. Widget grumbled in the hall and started up the stairs and he grinned against her lips. "Soon enough we'll be doing that for a human toddler, yes?"

<Jessica> Jess giggled, "Yeah but at least we get practice this way." She slid her arms around him for a hug.

<Shaw> "Indeed." He squeezed her gently. "Reprogrammable practice."

<Jessica> "Noooo no reprogramming. We're teaching him properly. He's a person." Jess was unmoving in this.

<Viper> She'd never been inside the house before, though she had an idea of the layout from spying. She teleported into the vestibule and glanced around, there was movement upstairs so there was someone home. "Hello?" she called in the direction of the stairs, steering her gift to the small sofa in the room.

<Shaw> "I know," he said with a laugh, then stiffened. An alarm started and from the stairs Widget started chattering. "Christ, now what?" Moving away from Jess, he stopped when he heard the voice and gave Jess an irritated look. "I'll go turn off the alarm."

<Jessica> Jess raised her eyebrows at him in response to the look - it wasn't her fault. She started down the stairs, putting on a smile for Viper, "Where were you today? We wanted to say goodbye..."

<Viper> "Oh I had an errand to run," Viper went to meet her at the bottom of the stairs so she couldn't see the lump on the sofa. "Sebastian is here, yes?"

<Shaw> "Where else would I be?" he said, thumping down the stairs a few moments behind Jessica. He flashed Sarkissian a toothy smile. "This is an unexpected pleasure."

<Viper> Viper bestowed a smile upon him too, "Excellent. I have a gift for you." She moved back so that they could finish coming down the stairs and see what she'd brought with her.

<Shaw> That quickly got his hackles up, but he gave Jess a questioning glance and took her hand as they descended.

<Jessica> Jess was also curious but apprehensive and gave Sebastian's hand a squeeze, pausing then and turning to where Viper gestured.

<Shaw> On the sofa, still in a red SHIELD jump suit and with a slightly stunned expression on his face, sat his "son." Sebastian's mouth dropped open slightly.

<Shinobi> Shinobi's eyes tracked slowly from the coffee table in front of him, to the green-haired woman, then to the couple that had just appeared. "...well I wasn't expecting this."

<Shaw> Sebastian rounded on Sarkissian. "What did you do?!"

<Viper> "I think this speaks for itself, does it not?" She gestured at the heap of Shinobi.

<Shaw> He took a second look at the boy. "Yes... what did you do to him?"

<Shinobi> Noticing the other woman, he gave her an appreciative if somewhat sloppy smile.

<Viper> "He got a little upset when I blew the lock to his cell so I had to drug him a bit." Viper gave a shrug, "He'll be fine in a few minutes, it should have almost worn off."

<Jessica> Jess gave Shinobi a small wave and a slightly unnerved smile back.

<Shaw> Sebastian raised an eyebrow at Jessica, then rubbed a hand over his face. "Why?"

<Viper> "You can hardly use him as a bargaining chip when he's in SHIELD custody where just anyone can get their hands on him," Viper pointed out, "The solution was obvious. I thought it would be faster to act on this myself because you would spend too long discussing it and talking yourself out of it."

<Shaw> He closed his eyes and counted to ten.

<Shinobi> It had taken him a moment to catch up to the conversation. "What's wrong, father? You don't seem happy to see me."

<Viper> "I don't think he likes surprises very much," Viper observed helpfully.

<Jessica> Jess was watching the entire exchange with a mixture of confusion and amusement.

<Shinobi> "He doesn't like me you mean." He was returning more to himself now, and slowly straightened up in his seat. "I really should be more offended to see you than you should be to see me. You don't call, you don't write, you don't visit. Really, you're a terrible father."

<Viper> "Oh now, be fair. He's been living with me for the last little while and it hasn't been safe for him to visit anywhere in some time, I'm afraid." She gave the kid a winning smile.

<Shinobi> He looked at the woman more closely. "And who are you again?"

<Shaw> Counting was not working. He opened his eyes and looked at Jess.

<Viper> "My name is Viper. I am associated with Hydra," she glanced at Jessica, "However, I have my reasons for wanting to aid your 'father' and his wife."

<Jessica> Jess gave Sebastian a helpless shrug, then turned to the kid on the sofa, "Hello, Shinobi.... my name's Jessica."

<Shinobi> "Oh, well..." Shinobi's grin was predatory and familiar and he stood up, brushing the wrinkles from his prison uniform. "Mom!" he said with amused enthusiasm, extending his arms wide as if for a hug.

<Shaw> "You will not touch her," he snapped, moving between the two and raising a hand to point at Sarkissian. "And you and I will talk. Later."

<Viper> Viper inclined her head in acknowledgement, wearing her trademark smirk. "Of course. But, for now, I will leave you to get acquainted. I can always return for him if you are worried about space."

<Shinobi> "No? But... I always wanted a mother, almost as much as I wished for a father. Well, you know, a real one." He wasn't restrained, he realized. This was excellent news. Reaching for his powers, this time his smile was real as he took a few steps toward Sebastian and Jess.

<Shaw> His attention was on Shinobi creeping up on them until Sarkissian's words sank in. "You're leaving him here?"

<Viper> "Of course, he's your property." Viper raised an eyebrow, "Unless you would prefer I looked after him?"

<Jessica> The smiling was getting disconcerting and Jess took a small step back.

<Shaw> Sebastian wasn't sure which option sounded worse, although they were both awful.

<Shinobi> Oh, and she was pregnant! This was just too perfect, so long as the brat in her belly was his father's of course. Shifting his density, he passed straight through Sebastian and stopped in front of the busty brunette. He caught her hand and gave it a kiss.

<Shaw> His shout of surprise when Shinobi went intangible was strangled and he spun, already preparing to take a swing at the boy. Oh no, he had Jessica. Sebastian froze in place, swallowing nervously.

<Jessica> Jess blinked at the uncannily familiar gesture. "Uh..."

<Viper> Viper watched Sebastian's reaction with interest, she wasn't worried about the risks - she was always prepared after all.

<Shinobi> After bowing over her hand and making a show of the kiss, he smiled up at her. "My, he does have excellent taste in women." Straightening up, he pretended he wasn't three-days-unshaved, unshowered, and in a prison jumpsuit. "I'm Shinobi, by the way. Shinobi Shaw, in case my father was negligent of telling you about his eldest..." He smirked.

<Shinobi> "He likes his secrets, after all," he said, lowering his voice conspiratorially. "Like the name of his plastic surgeon, because he's far too well perserved." Shinobi openly assessed Jessica's face. "And he likes to rob the cradle, obviously." He reached his other hand toward her belly and let it hover. "Rob the cradle, and fill it."

<Shaw> "Step away from her," he warned, watching the situation.

<Jessica> "I... um... thanks? I think...." she put both her hands over her belly protectively, "It's okay, Sebastian... sorry, I'm not really comfortable with strangers touching me.... Maybe when I know you better...."

<Shinobi> He smirked. "I won't be a stranger for long." Looking over his shoulder at Sebastian, he bared teeth. "Right, dad?" Whatever this was, he was going to make the most of the possibilities for entertainment. "I always wanted to have siblings," he said, turning his attention back to Jessica.

<Shaw> Sebastian had been moving closer, and finally made it to Jess to put a protective arm around her.

<Jessica> "Well you're going to have a sister... and you have an uncle too," she offered Shinobi a small smile.

<Shaw> He wasn't sure if he was proud of her composure, or alarmed she was playing along with this.

<Shinobi> Shinobi's smug expression slipped slightly and he tilted his head.

<Jessica> "I have a little brother, his name is Broo and you're likely to meet him if you're going to be staying here with us.... Do you want to stay here or would you rather go back with Viper for a few days? Because we've just moved back in and we're still cleaning... you could help though, if you want?"

<Shaw> Sebastian pinched the bridge of his nose. "You realize we'd be harboring a fugitive terrorist from SHIELD, yet we work with rather too many employees and officials of that ever-so-understanding organization. While they overlook Viper, this might be one step too far."

<Jessica> "If it's a problem then we'll work something out but I think it should be up to Shinobi where he lives for now," Jess focused on him, "After all, he's the one that has to live there."

<Shinobi> He opened his mouth to insert a pithy observation, but realized his father looked... conflicted. Perhaps that was a far better punishment than his commentary. So, he attempted to look innocent.

<Shaw> Sebastian's lip curled in disgust.

<Viper> "Well, don't keep us in suspense. I am a busy woman," Viper prompted.

<Shinobi> "You drugged me," he pointed out to Viper, then looked at his father. "But then you've tried to choke me out before." He pretended to consider his options. "But I think I like my new mom." He smiled at Jessica. "Thank you, I'll stay here... if I can take a shower and get some real clothes."

<Viper> "I drugged you in the nicest possible way," Viper protested, "It could have been much worse. But I will leave you in their capable hands. Jessica knows how to contact me if you change your minds or need to chat." She stiffened then as Jessica surprised her with a hug.

<Shaw> Sebastian shifted uncomfortably at the hug and ended up exchanging an equally uncomfortable glance with his non-son. He sighed. This day had started out so well, too.

<Jessica> "Thank you for all your help," Jess gave Viper a squeeze, "I really appreciate everything you've done...." She released her because she knew the hug was uncomfortable for her, "We'll be in touch..."

<Viper> Viper offered a small smile and inclined her head politely, then teleported away before any more attacks on her person.

<Shaw> "Well, not everything," he muttered.

<Shinobi> Shinobi gave him a familiar, shark-like grin.

<Jessica> "You might not, but I do." Jess prodded Sebastian in the chest, "Now, I'm going to get tea and biscuits."

<Shinobi> It was the mention of food that, despite his wishes, made his stomach grumble.

<Shaw> Hearing the noise, he glanced at their guest and sighed. "I'm going to go reset the alarm."

<Jessica> "Okay... I think I'll make lunch, actually."

<Shinobi> "Do you want me to help?" He looked at Sebastian, then back to his young wife. He grinned again. "Mom."

<Jessica> "You want to help?" She paused half way up the stairs to look back at him.

<Shinobi> Without checking for Sebastian's reaction, he started up the stairs behind her. "I'd love to."

<Shaw> Sebastian's reaction included more muttering and watching them climb the stairs before he started up after them.

<Jessica> "So what do you like to eat?" Jess glanced back at Shinobi as they climbed past the floor with the bedroom, "I love to cook so I can make pretty much anything and we restocked the cupboards on the way home."

<Shinobi> "I haven't had anything but prison food for more than a year." He smoothed the red jumpsuit again, then his hair.

<Jessica> "I know that... but there has to be something you missed the most. What was it? We'll see what we can do."

<Shinobi> "I... haven't had barbecue for..." He shook his head. "I can't remember, but I always liked it and they certainly didn't have it in that prison."

<Jessica> "Well it's not the weather for real barbeque but I'm sure we can rig something up in the oven or on the grill," she tossed him another smile and stepped out onto the landing, turning for the kitchen.

<Shinobi> He watched his father's wife, curious about this entire situation and how he'd really come to be here. "Thank you," he said stiffly, then looked around the floor they'd found themselves on. "You actually live here?"

<Shaw> Sebastian met Widget on the stairs to the next level, sending the robot to watch them while he continued on to reset the alarm system and, apparently, to add a recognized resident.

<Jessica> Jess nodded, "Yep... I know the layout is weird but we like it, it's different." Another smile as she flicked the kettle on on her way to the fridge.

<Shinobi> "I thought he lived in New York." He went to the counter and picked up a bottle of cleaning liquid, giving it a sniff.

<Jessica> "We used to but.... some stuff happened and we had to move... it's nice here though."

<Shinobi> He opened a cabinet and looked inside, recalling one of the last conversations he's had with his father. "Did you move before or after he found you?"

<Jessica> "Found...?" She gave him a curious look for a moment before shaking her head to clear it of the confusion, "After."

<Shinobi> "My father came to see me several times after..." He trailed off, unwilling to bring up the ugly matter of the assassination, and still unsure of his own memory of it. "He showed me photos. You're Jessica Drew."

<Shinobi> "He said you were missing," he added, remembering well Shaw's threats. At least this was one crime he'd been sure he had no part in.

<Jessica> "It's Jessica Shaw now... but yes I was missing... Viper had me, actually...."

<Shinobi> Things had gotten no less complicated in the last year, he could see. "He stopped coming before Christmas."

<Jessica> Jess chewed her lip, "Yeah... he would have... that was when we had to move and it was a difficult time for all of us and we haven't had very stable lives since..."

<Shinobi> "But stable enough to get married," he observed.

<Jessica> "That took us several months - we were married in May. We'd planned it for sooner but... it didn't work out... so in the summer we decided planning things was a bad idea and just went and did it... pissed a few people off because no one was invited."

<Shinobi> "Ah, I assumed my invitation had just been lost in the prison mail." Shinobi picked at his jumpsuit.

<Jessica> Jess giggled, "Don't worry, you're in good company with the non-invites and we're supposed to do it all again with actual festivities but drama and this," she pointed at her bump, "has slowed that schedule down a bit."

<Shinobi> "When is it due? She. You said she?" So, his father allowed him to rot in prison while he started a new family. His mouth twisted.

<Jessica> "End of January, begining of February... best guess anyway..." she lined up ingredients on the counter, "So long as everyone stays out of trouble it'll be fine..."

<Shinobi> He was quiet, wondering where his father had gone, and scratched at his stubble.

<Jessica> She glanced at him again, "Going to help me with this? After we eat I'll show you where the bathroom is so you can shower and find you some clothes...."

<Shinobi> "Yes," he said after a moment, and picked up a box though he wasn't sure what to do with it so he fiddled with the corners and pretended to read the instructions. There was silence for a time, then he looked back up at her. "Why am I here?"

<Jessica> Jess blinked at the abrupt question and didn't want to tell him that he was supposed to be some kind of pawn, it wasn't fair and she didn't like it anyway so she told him what she'd rather the reason be, "Because you're family."

<Shinobi> He frowned, but nodded slowly and accepted the lie. For now.

<Jessica> She gave him another smile, "So let's get cooking so you can put the memories of terrible food far behind you."
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6