9/26 Instance: Reacting

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

9/26 Instance: Reacting

Post by Svartfreja »

Not long after [Instance]No Escape.

<Shaw> One thing he couldn't fault Jessica's motorcycle on was speed, and he had tested its limits on the way back to the house until traffic stopped him - unless he wanted to wind up buying his way out of jail tonight. Finally Sebastian took to the alleys and even the sidewalks, fuming under his breath, trying to check his phone without losing control of the machine.

<Shaw> It was a miracle he wasn't stopped for riding without a helmet alone.

<Shaw> By the time he rolled to a stop in front of his house, he was expecting mayhem and destruction, but things looked... normal. Unconvinced, he nearly tore the door from the hinges once he cleared his own security.

<Viper> Viper's eyebrows went up at the noise and she looked toward the stairs while the robot burbled in alarm and Sharky skittered to Jessica's side.

<Jessica> Jess winced, "We're up here...." she called.

<Shaw> Glancing toward the door to Shinobi's very temporary quarters, he hit the stairs at a dead run. When he reached the top he saw Jess - and Sarkissian - sitting and drinking tea. "Are you all right?" He ignored Sarkissian for the time being and went straight to Jess.

<Jessica> Jess nodded, "I'm fine... I was never in any danger."

<Shaw> "Are you certain? What happened? It sounded..." He shot a look toward Sarkissian, then crouched beside Jess to meet her eyes. "You're sure?"

<Jessica> "It was my fault... I did the whole... foot in mouth thing..." she wrinkled her nose.

<Shaw> He blew out a long breath and hung his head for a moment before he looked back up. "Where is he? What happened?"

<Jessica> "He's in his room... leave him alone for a little while, okay? He's suffered enough..."

<Shaw> "He doesn't know the meaning of the word."

<Jessica> "He does..." Jess protested, tugging Sebastian away from the stairs and toward a chair. "There was no harm done."

<Viper> Watching the exchange as another learning experience, Viper sipped her coffee.

<Shaw> "I was told he tried to escape," he said, and nodded at Sarkissian before he allowed Jess to steer him to a seat. He stayed at the edge, however. "And later, that he had a weapon..."

<Jessica> "He wasn't trying to escape, he was running away... and he didn't even try to use the letter opener as a weapon."

<Shaw> "Letter opener?!" He started to rise from the chair. "There's a difference between escaping and running away? Armed? Albeit not well armed."

<Viper> "It was a weapon of opportunity. I suspect he picked it up as a means to defend himself if he had to, not with the intent do to any harm," another sip of coffee.

<Jessica> Jess tugged Sebastian back down into his seat, "He dropped it voluntarily."

<Shaw> "You're both being very cagey about what exactly happened here to make him want to run away," he growled, using Jess' term and giving her a challenging stare.

<Jessica> "Because it was my fault." Jess' eyes found the floor, "I wasn't thinking and I said something insensitive..."

<Shaw> "What? What did you say?" His frustration was bubbling over and his voice rose in volume. "I swear, if you don't answer me, and soon, I will rip the truth from my son's hide!"

<Jessica> "No you won't! This was my fault and I fixed it! You don't need to know what was said, it's not important." And she didn't want to discuss how they'd gotten onto the topic because she was afraid he'd use that as an excuse to stay mad at Shinobi.

<Shaw> "Not important," he spat. After a long moment of staring at Jess, trying to sense what was going on through their link, he snarled and got up, turning for the stairs.

<Jessica> Jess grabbed his arm and stuck herself to the floor, "Don't!"

<Viper> "I would do as she asks, stress in her condition is not good for either of them."

<Shaw> "Why? Why should I not know? That implies that he's done even more than attempt to skip off down the street with a letter opener." He stopped moving so he wouldn't force Jessica to strain to hold him in place.

<Jessica> "Because it won't make any difference? And I promised I'd look after him and that we wanted to help him. Don't make me a liar."

<Shaw> "Did you..." He turned to look at her, eyes narrowed. "Did he... try something? With you? Did he touch you?" The implication was clear.

<Jessica> "No. Of course not. Actually, he was helping me unload the car."

<Shaw> Sebastian straightened, blinking. The foyer. There were boxes and boxes, and baby things - clothing, soft toys. He looked at her questioningly.

<Jessica> "I went up to the school... saw Bobby... got our stuff back..." she offered him a smile, "And he gave me a t-shirt." She gestured to the back of the sofa where she'd put it after she'd taken it off.

<Shaw> The glance he spared toward the t-shirt was too fast to process it, and he rubbed both hands over his face. "I hoped to be home before you. I'm sorry. This never would have happened... you shouldn't have been alone with him."

<Jessica> "I can manage... I did manage, with some help. So stop freaking out. I keep telling you, I'm not some weak child that you have to protect all the time..."

<Shaw> "No, you're not, but she is." He rested his fingertips on her stomach. "If he did anything..."

<Jessica> "But he didn't." Jess pointed out stubbornly, "You have got to stop jumping to the worst conclusions every time... give him the benefit of the doubt - for both your sakes..."

<Viper> "You needn't worry, Sebastian. Despite her dislike for it, she won't go unguarded."

<Shaw> "No, she will not. I'd assumed you would watch us like your predatory namesake, and I've taken my own precautions as well." He considered this. "I could simply ask Yukio for her report."

<Jessica> "You could. But that would be disrespecting the privacy that people deserve when they're having conversations with each other. Do you want him to trust us or not? Because it starts here."

<Shaw> He swiveled and skewered Sarkissian with his eyes. Does he know of Oyama? Even the cover story file lists their clan name. If he knows, that's a terrible danger. He could be going to them.

<Viper> She raised an eyebrow at him over another sip of coffee, If you're suggesting Jessica would be stupid enough to tell him all about that, I would hope you wouldn't be stupid enough to accuse her to her face. She has taken great pains to make him feel safe here. Telling him he is a pawn in your scheme to overthrow Oyama would achieve the exact opposite.

<Shaw> Moving away from Jess, he stalked toward Sarkissian. Not her, I mean to know if you told him.

<Viper> Her eyes narrowed on him, When exactly do you suppose I would have done such a thing? And why?

<Jessica> Jess looked between them getting the distinct impression that she was missing something. "You know... that's really rude."

<Shaw> "I'm sorry, but I'm just trying to determine if he thought he'd located somewhere to run." If he knows about Oyama, and makes contact, there is no point in trying to socialize him. This experiment will be over.

<Jessica> "I asked him if he knew where he was going to go. He didn't. And, given that I made a case for us wanting to actually help him, if would be really fucking nice if I didn't feel like you were trying to undermine me at every turn. Give him a break - it's not his bloody fault he's in this situation or did you forget already?"

<Viper> Is it just me or is she angrier these days?

<Shaw> Much, he added with a sigh. Hormones.

<Shaw> To Jess, he gave a long stare, then bowed his head and flung himself into the chair, which creaked in protest.

<Jessica> Jess sighed, pushing a hand through her hair and reaching to pick up her abandoned cup of tea. If he was still sat down in a few minutes, she'd go and let Shinobi know it was safe.

<Shaw> "We're quite lucky he doesn't have enhanced senses."

<Jessica> "Yes we are." Jess sat down again, resting her free hand on the bump.

<Viper> "Currently, he doesn't have any powers." She offered a smirk before taking another sip of coffee.

<Shaw> "None?" He looked up at Viper, his attention drawn from his wife's hand on her belly.

<Viper> "He was being very irritating and ignoring me then walking through walls so I stopped him from being able to do that. I thought it best to keep it that way until you had calmed down some so that he didn't run off again." She raised an eyebrow at Sebastian as if to ask him if he intended to have another outburst.

<Shaw> Walking through walls. Of course. The eyebrow made Sebastian shift in the chair to fully look at her with a lazy blink and a baring of teeth.

<Viper> "Would you rather I turned his powers back on, let you try to hit him and watch him run away again? Then we can see what kind of trouble he might get into and you can explain to SHIELD why it all happened."

<Shaw> With a gusty sigh, he straightened and sat up slightly in the chair. He met Jessica's eyes. "I won't hit him," he said quietly. Unless he gives me more cause.

<Jessica> "Good." Jess offered him a small smile, "Think that means you can go back to wherever it was you were lurking now... if you want to." She chewed her lip, "And I'll go and talk to Shinobi..."

<Viper> Viper inclined her head politely and set her almost empty coffee cup down on the table before getting to her feet.

<Shaw> He caught the scent and realized that wasn't tea. "I need coffee for this, perhaps something stronger." Pushing himself up from the chair, he started for the kitchen but paused. He gave Sarkissian a stiff nod. "Thank you."

<Viper> She gave Sebastian a nod of acknowledgement and went to the stairs ahead of Jessica, pulling her coat on as she crossed the room.

<Jessica> "Take your time," Jess followed Viper, "I'll talk to Shinobi..."

<Shaw> "Not yet," he said, turning to Jess.

<Jessica> "Why not yet?" She frowned, listening to Viper's descent to the vestibule.

<Shaw> He was silent until he heard Sarkissian's footsteps recede. While he was grateful, after a fashion, for her interference, he would need to have the home swept for surveillance again. "I would like to talk to you alone for a moment."

<Jessica> "It can't wait five minutes?"

<Shaw> Eyes narrowing, he crossed his arms.

<Jessica> Jess folded her arms across her chest, setting her stance, the expression on her face reading 'get on with it, then'.

<Shaw> Slowly, his head tilted as he took in her attitude. With a soft huff, he shook his head and turned. "Never mind then," he said, arms dropping as he gave up to go search for coffee.

<Jessica> Jess grumbled quietly to herself and went down the stairs.

<Shaw> He couldn't make out words, so he decided to ignore her outburst and went to get his coffee. After the jolt of fear and the rush home, he felt oddly drained. Mostly, he could admit, due to his reception at home.

<Jessica> Jess said goodbye to Viper and let her out then went to the door to Shinobi's basement and knocked, half listening to Sebastian's movements upstairs.

<Shinobi> As the footsteps that came to the door and the knock itself were both quiet, he assumed it was Jessica. More than a little surprised, he went to the door and only paused a few moments to listen before he opened it. He met her eyes only briefly before looking away.

<Jessica> Jess offered him a small smile, "Thought I'd come down and let you know... Viper and Yukio have gone, Sebastian's home and he's mostly calmed down so it's okay now... and Viper turned off her tech on her way out so you should have your powers back."

<Shinobi> He was surprised he hadn't noticed. A faint crease appeared between his brows as he registered the return of his powers. They had been gone for so long he often didn't think of them anymore, and it bothered him on some level. "It's probably best if I stay here."

<Shaw> The coffee was still hot and he poured himself a cup, taking a drink to test the temperature. Finding it acceptable, he downed half the mug and considered if he wanted to make it Irish coffee. He kept an ear to the conversation two floors down and snorted. "You're damn right."

<Jessica> Jess frowned a little, hearing Sebastian just as clearly as he heard them, "Alright... do you want me to bring you anything? I'll be down again in a little while anyway at the other side - need to wash all those baby clothes..."

<Shinobi> "I don't need anything." He shook his damp hair back. After the close contact with the filthy ground of the alley, he'd showered again and put on the last of his borrowed clothing. His lips twisted at the reminder of his treatment of the baby clothes.

<Jessica> "If you're sure... I could probably have that other suit cleaned while I'm at it... just leave it in there." She gave him another smile, "I might bring some biscuits down anyway... or cake... I bake when I'm stressed... it's a habit I picked up off a friend..."

<Shaw> From upstairs there was another snort.

<Shinobi> "I suppose I shouldn't have scared you." He gestured vaguely at her stomach.

<Jessica> She shook her head, "I'm alright... I wasn't scared... just worried. I don't want you to get hurt or something..."

<Shinobi> "I wouldn't have been hurt." It was the safety of other people he couldn't guarantee.

<Jessica> "You don't know that... Viper isn't the only person with the ability to turn off mutant powers. A lot's changed... I don't know if you've watched the news or anything but there's these Sentinel things..."

<Shinobi> The confusion on his face was answer enough, although he certainly knew about power inhibitors. He had worked for Nathaniel Essex, after all.

<Jessica> "Okay... well they're like these robot things and they have energy blasts that apparently hurt quite a lot... and the ability to turn off powers in a large area. They were designed, if you beliee OsCorp, to protect regular humans from mutant terrorists... but they've just been bought by bigots that hate mutants and they've attacked people minding their own business." Her tone and expression spoke to how much she hated them and the company responsible.

<Shinobi> "...OsCorp." The knowledge took some time to come, but come it did, along with the memory of the times he'd seen Norman Osborn. "Robots... like that one?" He pointed up the stairs to where Widget was hovering, not at all subtly.

<Jessica> Jess looked over her shoulder and rolled her eyes, "Did Sebastian send you down here?" She looked back at Shinobi, "No, not like Widget - nowhere near as cute... and Widget's harmless and has a personality. Those things don't... hang on..." she hurried back up the stairs to pick up a newspaper from the recycling to show him an advertisment inside.

<Shaw> The discussion about Widget made the corner of his mouth hitch up and he sipped his coffee as he went to see what his lovely wife was up to. At the bottom of the stairs he found her scrounging through the recycling, and took in the mess from the broken box.

<Shinobi> He heard the footsteps and moved further into his room.

<Jessica> Finding what she was looking for, Jess spared Sebastian a glance before heading back down the steps and finding the page, offering it out to Shinobi once she located him.

<Shinobi> The page thrust to him caused a moment's confusion, distracted as he was. Once Shinobi took the newspaper, he located what she was talking about. "Osborn... is selling them?"

<Shaw> Deciding to make himself useful since he was getting the silent treatment, Sebastian started picking up the rest of the baby clothes.

<Jessica> Jess nodded, "To anyone and everyone - not just in the US..."

<Shinobi> "All they do is target mutants?" He frowned at the paper, reading the descriptions and glowing testimonials.

<Jessica> "Supposed to put regular humans on a level playing field or some bullshit... It's all there in their PR..."

<Shinobi> "Hmm." He shrugged, deciding to keep his thoughts on the matter to himself, and gave her the paper back.

<Jessica> "It's worrying...." she chewed her lip, "Anyway, just... you know... be careful... you're safe here...."

<Shaw> Sebastian now had a damaged box full of baby clothes and left his empty coffee cup in the hall as he thumped down the stairs and into the room without knocking. He positioned himself in the doorway, gaze flicking from Jess to Shinobi, then back.

<Jessica> Jess sighed silently and fixed her gaze on the floor for a beat or two to school her expression before she turned to look at Sebastian. She wondered if he was going to start shouting again.

<Shaw> "So, I understand you had an eventful day?" He turned his attention to Shinobi and moved in close, invading the younger man's personal space.

<Shinobi> "I thought to take a walk." While he didn't back up, he did phase himself in anticipation.

<Shaw> Sebastian's eyes narrowed.

<Jessica> Jess frowned, putting an arm between him and Shinobi to encourage him to take a step back. She didn't want any more yelling today.

<Shaw> He turned his head just enough to take in her expression. The corner of his mouth curled upward.

<Jessica> Don't start this crap now. I'm really not in the mood for more drama today. She gave him a challenging look.

<Shinobi> Sensing the tension between them, he finally took that step back. He watched them closely.

<Shaw> I haven't started anything I'm unwilling to finish. "Well, as Jessica told you, it's a dangerous world." Sebastian bared teeth in his most predatory smile.

<Jessica> Going to finish it without violence or raised voices? Because, if you're not, I think I'll go for a walk, myself.

<Shinobi> "I know that quite well," he said in his iciest tone, keeping his attention on his father. "Wouldn't you agree that's a lesson I've already learned, father?"

<Shaw> He chuckled darkly. "Best you don't forget it."

<Jessica> "Alright, that's that, we'll leave you to your space now," Jess gave Sebastian a look before she turned toward the door.

<Shaw> Not quite ready to scurry at her command, he moved past Shinobi and was equal parts impressed and irritated that he didn't budge from his place. He set the box inside the door of the laundry room and then moved back to join Jessica.

<Shaw> "Tomorrow, I'll take you out to get you some proper clothing," he said. Shinobi looked like a street urchin, complete with wet hair sticking up in unruly tufts.

<Shinobi> He didn't show the surprise he felt, and instead nodded and watched them go.

<Jessica> Jess didn't stop on her way up the stairs until she got to the level with the kitchen where she fed Sharky and put the kettle on, tapping impatiently on the counter while she waited for it to boil.

<Shaw> Sebastian paused to pick up the coffee cup and then took his time to follow Jessica, giving her time to... do whatever she was doing.

<Jessica> Kettle boiled, Jess poured her tea and fidgeted with the spoon until it was brewed, listening to Sebastian's movements downstairs. She had every intention of retreating to the cupola.

<Shaw> Finally he arrived at the kitchen level. Would you like to tell me what's wrong?

<Jessica> You know what's wrong. She put the milk back in the fridge and picked up her tea to head further upstairs.

<Shaw> I did not raise my voice, I did not use violence. He moved to block her path.

<Jessica> No you didn't but you're being inexplicably threatening towards him... and me, for that matter. She raised her eyebrows at him as he was demonstrating her point rather well.

<Shaw> I'm not threatening you, or at least that is not at all my intent. He frowned and took one step to lean against the wall instead. I was warning him. He knows what is at stake, and that is sufficient.

<Jessica> He knew that before you went in there and tried to intimidate him. Why do you have to do that?

<Shaw> I wanted to make sure he understood, even so he is difficult to read, and difficult to predict.

<Jessica> It doesn't matter! Don't you see that? Don't you think he's struggling at the moment? He doesn't want to show weakness, it's all face. Stop second guessing him all the time and just let him breathe, for God's sake. He's unpredictable because he's reacting like a cornered animal - if you were in his place you'd be just as bad, if not worse. And, even if something goes wrong, apparently that's fine because there are people watching. She headed for the stairs.

<Shaw> He turned to watch her. You didn't know Sarkissian was watching?

<Jessica> Of course she was going to be watching in some way... I didn't expect Yukio.

<Shaw> We discussed keeping her close, on a retainer of sorts. I did not expect Sarkissian to personally stand vigil.

<Jessica> Neither did I but I can't say I'm surprised... and I didn't expect guard duty for Shinobi to be on the list of duties she might be given... and I thought we'd talk about something like that first.

<Shaw> Yukio has no list of duties as of yet, she was just settling into her new apartment. I thought we would talk about her duties, yes, but we hadn't the opportunity due to our surprise guest. As such, I simply told her to watch for anything that looked suspicious.

<Jessica> Great. But you sort of missed my point in all of that.

<Shaw> "How?" The tension between them was causing a pulse of pain behind his eyes, and he pinched the bridge of his nose.

<Jessica> "You. Are. Over. Reacting." She peered down the stairs at him as she said it before disappearing again. Relax! Seriously... it's stressing me out because you're stressed out.

<Shaw> He most certainly was not. Glaring up at her, he winced at her outburst in his mind.

<Jessica> I'm going to read a book or watch the people outside or something.... try and relax... maybe you should try something to relax too and stop thinking of Shinobi as the enemy.

<Shaw> Irritated, he debated things he could go punch to relax. That made him smirk. Perhaps I'll make dinner.

<Jessica> Be my guest... takeout doesn't count as making dinner. She found her favourite book and her blanket and climbed up the last few stairs to her favourite spot to sit down.

<Shaw> It most certainly does. It's how I made dinner for many years, after all. He opened the drawer where he hid the menus to begin his search. Then, a brilliant idea came to him. I could recruit Shinobi to assist me.

<Jessica> If you're going to enlist Shinobi to help... maybe you should order takeout... cooking usually requires knives and I'm not sure I could trust you to do that without supervision.

<Shaw> He didn't rise to the bait. Well then, that settles it. Sebastian closed the drawer, located the keys to the Aston and started down the stairs. We'll make a ... food run is the term, yes?

<Jessica> Yes... just... both of you come back in one piece and not traumatised.

<Shaw> Of course. He smirked to himself as the hard soles of his shoes hit the marble floor of the foyer. The noise was certainly enough to put the boy on alert. "Shinobi!" Quickly he descended into the basement and found his faux son already at the door and peering at him suspiciously. Sebastian grinned. "We're going out. Come."
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6