10/17 Instance: The Shaw Must Go On

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

10/17 Instance: The Shaw Must Go On

Post by Slarti »

Timelined right after Reacting

<Shaw> Of course, he'd decided to take this ill-advised trip at rush hour, so they'd only made it blocks from home before Sebastian found himself stuck. He tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. After the silence stretched for a while longer, he looked over at Shinobi. He lifted an eyebrow.

<Shinobi> Lounging in the passenger seat, Shinobi remained intently focused on some pointless billboard on the bus stop next to their car. He could feel his father's look on him, which was why he continued staring out the window.

<Shaw> Sebastian took the opportunity to study Shinobi, since the boy was intent on ignoring him. A car behind him honked, jerking Sebastian from his thoughts and making him realize the traffic had moved ahead a few feet and the woman behind him was feeling impatient. Since he was willing to take out his frustration in any manner available to him, he rolled forward with excruciating slowness.

<Shinobi> "You enjoy that, don't you?" Shinobi broke the silence between them without looking at the other man. "Provoking others, I mean."

<Shaw> "At times." He glanced over at Shinobi again, but quickly this time before turning his attention to the road to see if there was any sign of a break in the traffic ahead.

<Shinobi> "Is that the reason we're doing this?" This time he turned his head to look directly at his father.

<Shaw> "No." A muscle in his jaw ticked.

<Shinobi> Shinobi was silent for a moment, once more turning away to look at the people walking by on the sidewalk. "Then why are we doing this exactly?" he asked, his lips barely moving as he spoke. He repeatedly rubbed his chin with his fingers.

<Shaw> "You do need clothing, unless you wish to continue wearing my clothes," he said, inching forward again, but this time without malice toward the woman behind them.

<Shinobi> "Believe me, I have no desire to do that for one moment longer than absolutely needed," he replied, the knuckles on his fingers turning white as he continued to rub his chin. He turned to his father, wearing a crooked smile. "Which doesn't mean I need hand holding while buying clothes."

<Shinobi> "You probably missed that, but I'm a big boy already." Shinobi had no interest in concealing the sarcasm in his voice.

<Shaw> Sebastian hummed. "Oh, no, it hasn't escaped my notice, however I've no interest in releasing you into the city on your own recognizance." Since the traffic again wasn't moving, Sebastian shifted the gear and took his hands from the wheel to look Shinobi over again.

<Shinobi> "Ah, so I'm your prisoner," Shinobi stated, his smile as fake as his friendly tone. This times he kept his eyes Sebastian, studying his reaction.

<Shaw> The corner of his mouth twitched. "Is it a better or worse fate than imprisonment by SHIELD?"

<Shinobi> Shinobi huffed. "What difference does it make who holds my leash?" He gave Sebastian a harsh look. "Please excuse me that I find neither option particularly appealing."

<Shaw> He sighed. "You've had too many holding you on their leash in your short life. I don't want to become another."

<Shinobi> Tearing his gaze away from the window again, Shinobi sneered at Sebastian. "Oh? Then what else do you want to become? The loving father to his lost son?" He uttered those words with unveiled contempt.

<Shaw> "That's what Jessica wants." He pressed his lips together to keep from smiling at Shinobi's bile. The traffic inched forward again and he shifted and inched along as well. "I would like to see you become your own man. In time."

<Shinobi> "I already am my own man," Shinobi replied, sitting up straight in his seat as the muscles in his face tensed. He fixated his father with unblinking eyes. "Even if I weren't, you'd be the last person I'd consider a role model."

<Shaw> "You've been in thrall to Nathaniel Essex and En Sabah Nur, and then had your mind reprogrammed by William Stryker." He let the last comment slide, as that was probably one of the smarter statements the boy had made.

<Shinobi> Shinobi huffed and looked away again, mostly so Sebastian wouldn't see the twitch on his face. "And of course you only have my best in mind," he hissed, before turning to his father again. "Do you think you can just feed me your lies like you do with everyone else?"

<Shaw> "I don't lie to Jessica," he said, looking over toward Shinobi and flashing his teeth. "But I will tell you the truth in this as well - since you're already here, I plan to give you a chance. You spent a great deal of time playing on my name as a route to success, so if you wish to be a Shaw you can be a Shaw."

<Shinobi> Shinobi couldn't entirely bite back his dry chuckle. "And in turn for such generosity you expect me to be forever grateful?" He made it sound more like a statement than a question, fixating his father with a look containing all the smugness he could muster.

<Shinobi> "Or is it my 'mother' you expect to show her... gratitude for this mockery?" He grinned.

<Shaw> Sebastian looked over to Shinobi with a smirk despite the irritation he felt. "Jessica's only part in this is that you treat her with respect -- as someone who already cares for you out of the misguided goodness of her heart, if for no other reason."

<Shinobi> "Rest assured, I have only the best intentions towards your wife." He returned Sebastian's look in a similar fashion, before turning away to let the seconds stretch in silence for a moment. "I'm confident you'll manage to break her heart all on your own."

<Shaw> He swallowed, not noticing the cars in front of him had moved forward again. When he realized his mistake, the car lurched as he shifted gears to move up.

<Shinobi> Shinobi had no intention to hide the sly little smirk on his face. "Careful with the gears," he advised ever so helpful. "Not while you drive a beauty like this. You can't treat her like you treat your women."

<Shaw> That was enough to make him regain his equilibrium and Sebastian shook his head, locating a side street to escape the worst of the traffic. "You believe you know so much. It's quite entertaining, actually."

<Shinobi> "I'm glad you find it entertaining," Shinobi replied, dropping the fake friendliness. "I hope it was worth screwing over the people in your life. Your family." He uttered the last word with a sneer.

<Shaw> He sighed, turning down yet another side street. "Shinobi, whatever you believe you know about me - at least in regards to my familial loyalties - is wrong." He kept his tone even, with effort.

<Shinobi> "And I should believe that?" Shinobi didn't have the same impulse control as his father, his anger distorting his features. "Give me one good reason why I should even consider one word you say. I know you better than you might think, father."

<Shaw> "Would it not have been much simpler to allow Sarkissian to take you, or to simply send you back to SHIELD? Yet here we are, and here we remain, having this pointlessly hostile conversation."

<Shinobi> Shinobi could feel the muscles tighten around his jaw and forehead, his lips forced together to keep himself from spitting out the first insult on top of his mind. "So you expect me to thank you for not throwing me to the sharks?"

<Shinobi> "You are too kind," he added, each word dripping with acidic sarcasm.

<Shaw> "No." Sebastian looked over at the younger man. Thankfully, they were finally in front of one of Jessica's favorite restaurants, so they could order dinner and stop by the men's clothing shop down the street. Parallel parking required a bit of concentration so he met Shinobi's eyes for just a moment and then quickly parked the car.

<Shaw> After killing the engine, he turned in the seat to study his passenger. "You have been mistreated in your life. By Esssex, by Nur, by Fury, by Stryker, and yes, by me."

<Shinobi> Forcing himself to meet the other man's gaze, Shinobi was determined to hold on to his anger and not be swayed by Sebastian's sudden display of understanding. "Then you will understand why I have my doubts about your intentions." It took him some effort to maintain his tone as he forced out the words.

<Shaw> "I do." He kept his eyes on Shinobi's, though he was just as uncomfortable as his faux son. However, Sebastian had more experience with acting. "So, I intend to show you my intent rather than keep talking about it. You can learn the family business, you can accompany us to the Hellfire Club, you can be a Shaw. If you will give it a chance."

<Shinobi> Instead of answering his father, Shinobi averted his gaze, pretending to stare out the windshield. Even though the emotions continued to boil deep inside him, he managed to keep them sealed up tight for now. He did not trust Sebastian, but he was right about one thing.

<Shinobi> He had been taken advantage of too often not to know when he didn't have any choice. After all, learning when to strike and when to smile had kept him alive for all these years. Eventually, he looked back at the older man next to him.

<Shinobi> "I hope you don't expect any friendly family chats at the breakfast table," he said, the closest to a peace offering he could manage.

<Shaw> He smirked, not letting the surprise of his apparent win show. "Of course not. We are Shaws, after all."