10/27 Instance: Family Dinner

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

10/27 Instance: Family Dinner

Post by Slarti »

Timelined right after The Shaw Must Go On

<Jessica> Jess had sat up in the cupola for a long time but had eventually grown hungry and ventured down to the kitchen for a cup of tea and a biscuit to stave off the hunger. She hoped Sebastian and Shinobi would get home soon though because she was sorely tempted to make dinner, pretend she hadn't eaten it, and eat whatever they brought back with them. She played with Sharky to pass the time and distract herself a little.

<Shaw> Sebastian popped the trunk of the Aston and looked up at the cupola of the house as he stepped out of the vehicle. He could sense Jessica inside, and her impatience. "I'll take the food up, if you can manage your bags?" He leaned into the back to take the bag with the food, then glanced across the street toward Yukio's apartment.

<Shinobi> He did not miss his father's sudden interest in the building across the intersection and made sure he saw he'd noticed.

<Jessica> Jess felt Sebastian in her mind again and went to the stairs, Sharky getting the hint and bolting ahead of her yapping excitedly. Jess was nowhere near as fast as she wanted to be.

<Shinobi> Disgusted with Sebastian's grandstanding, he snatched up two of the bags of clothing. "There's no need to alert your watchdog. You have me right where you want me already, don't you?"

<Shaw> He sniffed, catching Shinobi's eyes and holding the contact with a faint smile.

<Shaw> "Time will tell on that count," he said, deciding he would help carry the clothing bags after all, and picked up a bag containing new shoes. Sebastian didn't wait for Shinobi to open the door and enter the foyer. Sharky's excited yipping greeted him. "Where's your mother?"

<Jessica> "She's coming," Jess called down, "I'm just slow... and really hungry. You took forever..."

<Shaw> "There was traffic." He checked over his shoulder for Shinobi. The boy seemed to be behaving, so he set the shoe bag by the basement stairs and started up toward his wife. "You needn't bother, love, I'll come up."

<Jessica> "Oh good...." Jess carefully turned around and started back up to the kitchen. "What did you bring?"

<Shaw> "I brought you grilled salmon." He caught up to her easily, weaving around her dancing pet, and slipped one arm around her waist to steal a kiss.

<Jessica> She smiled, happily giving him that kiss, "You spoil me."

<Shinobi> Shinobi closed the front door and turned in time to see his father move back from an obvious kiss. He pulled a face and moved the bags to the basement steps.

<Shaw> "I've told you that's the idea," he replied. Smiling, he rested his hand on her back as she climbed the steps.

<Jessica> It was much easier to move around when she wasn't on a narrow staircase and she headed into the kitchen for plates and glasses. "Did you have a successful shopping trip?"

<Shaw> "Shinobi has a small but serviceable wardrobe now, and we had a bit of a chat." He started unpacking the food containers and was pleasantly surprised they were still warm. "I told him we will get him fitted for a proper suit and a winter coat tomorrow."

<Shinobi> His hearing may not be as good as theirs, but he could hear them talking about him perfectly well. Was he hungry enough to bear more of his father's company tonight?

<Jessica> "So it didn't go so badly that you want to run for the hills? That's good," she smiled at him, "I'm glad you're trying..." and she'd mostly calmed down now.

<Shaw> "I told him he can be a Shaw, if he acts like one." Sebastian returned the smile and leaned in close again to run his hand through her hair. I will tell you more later, he added with a mental caress.

<Jessica> "Oh why did you tell him that? Now he's going to hit on all the women he meets and go on massive benders..." Jess wrinkled her nose.

<Shaw> He laughed. "I can see my absence greatly improved your mood." Hooking the back of her head with the hand in her hair, he stole another kiss. "Also, touche, love." He nuzzled her affectionately. "I suspect he doesn't need instruction to do that anyway."

<Jessica> She grinned, "Probably not... it must be genetic.... Oh God that's a horrible thought. We're microchipping the child."

<Shaw> "Of course we are, but it won't matter, as I won't be letting her out of my sight until she's thirty." After their days of arguments, he was enjoying this moment of closeness. "Perhaps."

<Jessica> "Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll get my immunity to booze?" She was going to cling to that beacon of hope. She slid her arms around his waist for a cuddle.

<Shinobi> He was hungry, so he had to venture upstairs, and when he did he was treated to an additional disgusting display and stopped on the stairs.

<Shaw> "That could be a benefit, or could simply lead to her challenging her suitors to drinking contests to better humiliate them." Sebastian heard Shinobi, and ignored him to continue teasing the tip of his nose over Jess' ear and hair.

<Jessica> Jess giggled, "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't guilty of that..."

<Shinobi> While he couldn't hear exactly what they were saying, the giggle and the way she clung to Sebastian and curled into his touch was horrific. He forced himself to continue up the stairs and went to the food containers. "Don't let me interrupt," he said in an acid tone.

<Jessica> Jess turned her head and pressed a quick kiss to Sebastian's lips before she straightened up to arrange the plates. "Don't worry, we have plenty of time."

<Shinobi> He watched Jessica from the side of his eye and bit back a sarcastic comment.

<Shaw> "You're right." He smiled. "Remember, I said thirty years."

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "Yes... but hopefully more than that... though not for her because I think she might strangle us both."

<Shaw> "Well, we have a lifetime," he agreed, stroking a hand over her belly and then moving to get silverware. "Shinobi?" He smiled slightly at his faux son. "Would you like wine?"

<Shinobi> His eyes narrowed at this new and irritating friendliness.

<Jessica> Jess went to the fridge to get juice, wine was not on her list of options. "Put food on my plate, get wine after."

<Shaw> "Yes, ma'am." He laughed softly and did as he was told, scooping out a portion of her salmon and vegetables onto a plate. After sorting the remaining containers, Shinobi snatched his order.

<Jessica> Jess grabbed her plate swiftly, once she'd poured her drink and headed for the dining table. "Thank yoooou!"

<Shinobi> Deciding he didn't need a plate, he followed Jessica. He plonked his container onto the table and pulled out a chair for her with an appreciative smile.

<Jessica> Jess returned the smile, setting her food down before she took the seat, "Thank you, too."

<Shinobi> "You're welcome," he said as he sat down, still smiling. Oh yes, he had the best of intent for Jessica Shaw.

<Shaw> Sebastian ran his tongue over his teeth and readied his own plate. He could be civil. He could.

<Jessica> "Feel a bit better now that you have your own clothes?" She glanced at Shinobi after taking a sip of her juice.

<Shinobi> "I can't get out of these quickly enough." He plucked at the fabric of the shirt he wore and took a bite of his stir-fry beef. It was surprisingly excellent, and he lost himself for just long enough to make a small sound of pleasure.

<Shaw> Sebastian's ear perked at the odd sound, but he let it slide as he opened a bottle of wine and poured two glasses.

<Jessica> Jess smiled, taking a bite of her own food with an 'mmm'. "My favourite restaurant. I'd know their food anywhere."

<Shinobi> He smirked, toying with his fork. "It seems you aren't the only one in this house with a taste for Asian."

<Jessica> She gave a small laugh, "Yeah... in fairness though, it's mostly the food... I like food - cooking it... eating it is nice but not as fun."

<Shinobi> Head cocked, he watched her curiously, then took another bite.

<Shaw> He'd heard the comment and stifled a sigh, carrying the wine glasses into the dining room first. "As you didn't tell me your preference, you can try this Languedoc with me." Sebastian slid one of the glasses across to Shinobi, smirking when he caught his eye for a moment.

<Jessica> "Ignore me, I'm babbling... I do that, pretty sure Sebastian just tunes it out now." She looked at him for confirmation of this.

<Shaw> "I would never," he said in his most wounded tone and kissed the top of her head, then went back for his food.

<Shinobi> He frowned at this new display. "Surely he realizes this farcical show of benevolence does not sway me."

<Jessica> "It's not farcical. He's a sweetie... and has totally mastered the 'yes dear' so I refuse to believe there's no tuning out." She took a bite of food, "Don't protest that you're a sweetie either, you'll lose."

<Shinobi> Shinobi's expression told her what he thought of this proclamation.

<Shaw> Sebastian returned a moment later, biting his own tongue, and finally joined them at the table. Well. This was... domestic.

<Jessica> "Which part are you struggling with? Because you can ask Sebastian - I always win."

<Shaw> "Yes, dear," he parroted, flashing her a patently false smile that still managed to melt into something more sincere. She was, unfortunately, right.

<Shinobi> "He did say your optimism was misguided," he said conversationally, looking away from them to take a bite of his beef.

<Jessica> "Pfft," Jess waved it away, "A lot of people have accused me of being misguided about plenty of things. I like proving people wrong."

<Shinobi> "And what was it, again, you said you wanted from this... arrangement?" He picked up the glass of wine and gave it a sniff, then swirled the glass and sniffed again.

<Jessica> "We're a family, I want all of us to get along and enjoy it."

<Shinobi> He looked up from the glass and waited for her to meet his eyes.

<Jessica> Which she did, because she was serious. She even offered a smile.

<Shaw> Sebastian watched this exchange, sipping his own wine.

<Shinobi> His father's movement drew his eye and his expression shifted. "You really believe that could ever be possible?"

<Jessica> "Yes. It won't be easy but it's doable... as long as everyone is willing to try, everyone has to want it to work." She looked between them both, "Because otherwise someone will sabotage it."

<Shaw> "Shinobi knows my feelings on this now." He lowered his glass and smiled slightly at his clone. "And what's at stake if there is sabotage."

<Shinobi> He could only look down, though it was the last thing he wanted to do.

<Jessica> The reaction made Jess frown and she wondered what threats had been made. She was going to have to ask about that later. Falling into silence, she had a few more bites of delicious food.

<Shaw> Sebastian lifted his chin and gave Shinobi's food container a meaningful look, then ate another bite of his own food.

<Jessica> Jess turned her concerned frown on Sebastian, What's going on?

<Shinobi> He gave a irritated, soft snort and turned his attention to his dinner.

<Shaw> What do you mean? He gave Jess a genuinely questioning look and took a sip of wine.

<Jessica> Things just got weirdly tense. I feel like I missed something...

<Shaw> No more than it was, I don't think. Actually, what you told him was very similar to what I said in the car.

<Jessica> I don't know... what did you tell him was at stake? She took a sip of her juice.

<Shaw> That he must abide by our rules, or there is the potential of return to SHIELD custody. He met her eyes over the glass.

<Jessica> And what rules did you lay down?

<Shaw> He must respect you, make no more escape attempts, continue counseling sessions - as the heavens know he needs them for many reasons. He must try. Sebastian smiled at her. In exchange, I offered to help him continue his education, to learn the family business, to attend functions at the Hellfire Club...

<Jessica> Uuuugh the Hellfire Club... her nose wrinkled, That'll be a headache and a half.

<Shaw> Especially as he's already been there, parading as my son, while he worked for En Sabah Nur. Sebastian looked down at his plate and pushed a bit of beef across it with his fork. I was living in Pittsburgh during my mother's last years.

<Jessica> Well and we're still cleaning up the mess from before... Seems like we just step out of one and into another...

<Shaw> Indeed. He took a long drink from his wine glass and checked on Shinobi, who was watching them. Closely.

<Jessica> Jess was alerted to the fact she was being watched over their link and coughed, narrowly avoiding inhaling a piece of her fish.

<Shinobi> "Careful, mom," he said with a smirk. "Do you need any assistance?" Helpfully, he edged closer to her.

<Jessica> She shook her head, taking a sip of her juice, "No, thanks, I'm fine..."

<Shaw> Sebastian watched this exchange, lips twitching. He knew she was fine, thanks to the link, so firmly told himself not to overreact. I thought I was quite civil to him during our little outing. After fiddling with his fork, he speared another bite. For the most part.

<Jessica> She offered them both a smile and continued with her meal, and her conversation, For the most part?

<Shaw> For the most part. The grin he shared with her was a purely mental one.

<Shinobi> "And are you always this silent at meals?" He looked from one to the other. Although, he remembered he was the one who'd said not to expect friendly chats over the breakfast table.

<Jessica> Mmhmm... "Sometimes... other times we've been busy doing separate things all day and we have a lot to talk about... Sebastian already knows all about today."

<Shinobi> "Yes, I suppose so." He turned his attention back to his food. He was not asking to be excused.

<Shaw> I was, he protested, still amused. He said he has the best of intentions for you.

<Jessica> I'm sure he does... "If you'd rather we talked, I'm sure we can think of something."

<Shinobi> He looked up from his contemplation of the plate. "No... there's something going on here."

<Jessica> Jess raised an eyebrow at him, "What something?"

<Shinobi> "Between the two of you..."

<Jessica> Jess cocked her head on one side, "What makes you say that?"

<Shaw> Sebastian had tensed at Shinobi's first comment, something he was sure the younger man wouldn't miss.

<Shinobi> "He's suddenly... competing for cliche television father of the year." He gestured at Sebastian with his fork then looked at Jessica. "And the two of you are... unsettling. Together, like this."

<Jessica> Jess' eyebrows went up, "Unsettling? Why?" she laughed a little.

<Shaw> "Tell me, Shinobi," Sebastian cut in. "How did your abilities first manifest?"

<Shinobi> The change of subject drew him up short, surprised.

<Jessica> That was the most unsubtle subject change ever.

<Shaw> It was meant to be, he responded, keeping his eyes on Shinobi. Perhaps he shares more than my DNA.

<Jessica> How's that? Her eyes flicked between both of them, waiting for Shinobi's answer.

<Shinobi> He stalled by stabbing at his food, then dropped the fork with a thunk into the container. "I... don't remember," he said, looking into the remains of his dinner until he reached sightlessly for the wine glass.

<Jessica> Jess chewed her lip, "Well... I think that's better than remembering and wanting not to, if that helps."

<Shaw> "Indeed," he agreed, tone sympathetic.

<Shinobi> He suppressed a reaction and drank his wine.

<Jessica> Jess watched Shinobi for a long moment, head tilted to one side, trying to read him. "Are you okay?"

<Shinobi> Irritated he had allowed himself to get sidetracked, he frowned. Now, however, he wasn't sure he cared anymore about their behavior. "Wonderful," he muttered over the rim of the glass.

<Jessica> Jess frowned in return, glancing at Sebastian. She wasn't sure she believed that.

<Shaw> Eyebrow raised, he just sipped his wine now and watched.

<Shinobi> "I believe I'll go ... remove tags from my new clothes." He stood and picked up his half-empty wine glass and his mostly-eaten food, speaking to Jessica with barely a glance at his father.

<Jessica> "Okay..." She chewed her lip, maybe he'd feel like talking about it sometime in the future.

<Shaw> "Good night, Shinobi," Sebastian added in a light tone. "I'll pick up my new shirt later."

<Shinobi> "Of course." It wasn't as if he could really stop him from forcing his way in on some false errand, after all. "Good night," he added after a long pause, and headed down the stairs.

<Jessica> Jess sighed, dropping her fork onto her plate and leaning back in her seat. Everything was so complicated.

<Shaw> "Are you okay?" he asked, setting down the wine glass with a click to reach over and take her hand.

<Jessica> She shook her head, "I don't know... today has been absolutely horrible... and it started out so well..."

<Shaw> "It has been quite a long day," he observed.

<Jessica> "Yeah... I'm exhausted. Can we just eat in silence and go to bed? I don't have enough energy for much else..."

<Shaw> He cocked his head and leaned over, bringing her hand to his mouth to kiss the back of her knuckles. "That sounds like an excellent plan."

<Jessica> "Okay... awesome..." she offered a small smile, "Thanks... tomorrow we can talk about duckies."

<Shaw> "Duckies it is," he said with a surprised laugh. It had been a long day.