11/7 Instance: Defrosting the Squirrel

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

11/7 Instance: Defrosting the Squirrel

Post by Svartfreja »

After [fic]Nuts to This Week!

<Doreen> Doreen woke up when her body hit the asphalt of the alley and heard the car she used to be in speed off. "What... the fuck." Her head was spinning and she didn't know what had happened, but her clothes were all torn.

<Doreen> She started to shiver as the cold night air nipped at her exposed skin. "Wh... where am I?" Doreen got up carefully and stumbled out of the alley. She couldn't think of what to do other than call someone that had offered her help if she needed it. Her hands found her phone. "Thank God I still have it."

<Doreen> She dialed Jessica's number and waited for her to answer.

<Jessica> It was late and Jess fumbled for her phone before it woke Sebastian - even though she was across the hall in the nursery, it was still a possibility with his hearing. Sharky heard it too and the small thud of him jumping off the bed to find her made her smile and shake her head before she checked the number. "Doreen?" She answered the call, "Hello?"

<Doreen> "I... sorry I didn't know who to call." Doreen sniffled a little, "I don't know where I am." Her teeth started to chatter a little as she got colder, even with her fur it was cold. "I think I was roofied." Her feet stung as they made contact with the cold asphalt. She was trying to find a place that would at least protect her a little from the wind.

<Jessica> Oh that was bad. "Okay... where are you? Can you see a road sign? A shop or anything? I'll come and get you." She levered herself up and headed down the stairs to get her coat, popping into the bedroom on the way as quietly as she could (flight powers were so handy) to get a blanket.

<Doreen> Doreen found her way to an intersection and told her where she was then went to hide from the wind in a bus shelter. "I'm so stupid." She started to cry a little and pulled herself into a tight ball trying to use her tail to keep herself warm.

<Jessica> "Don't worry about that now, I'm on my way." She hurried down the stairs and picked up the car keys, pulling her coat on and heading outside. She had to wait a few for the windows to unfog and she turned the heaters all the way up so it would be nice and warm for Doreen, setting her phone down on the dash.

<Doreen> Doreen shivered more. "I'm not drinking ever again." She tried to stop crying. "Sorry I woke you up."

<Jessica> "Oh, I wasn't asleep, I don't sleep well at night. Don't worry about it," once she could see enough of the road, she pulled out of their parking spot and headed for the street Doreen had mentioned.

<Doreen> "Oh...okay." She sat still, her teeth chattering loud enough that people would probably think there was an army of squirrels at the bus stop.

<Jessica> The streets were quiet this late so that helped speed up her trip to the intersection, "Almost there," she informed Doreen, "Nice and warm car for you to sit in and a blanket to curl up under."

<Doreen> "Thank god there's no one out here...." She tried to keep herself from crying which just made her sound worse. "People suck...."

<Jessica> "Yeah, they do..." Jess slowed the car and pulled up beside her, leaning over to open the door for her, "Come on, get in... I'll take you home."

<Doreen> Doreen hung up the phone when Jess got to her and got into the car. "It..it's cold out there." She tried to fake a smile even though she knew Jessica could tell she was crying. "Don't tell anyone... Think I said that backwards."

<Jessica> "I won't say anything you don't want me to," she pulled the blanket from behind her seat and wrapped it around Doreen as best as she could before she started the trip home. "Don't forget to put your seatbelt on."

<Doreen> Doreen snuggled up into the blanket and got her seat belt on. "Didn't think this week could get any worse..."

<Jessica> "You having a rough time of it?" She didn't want to say 'I told you so'. In the shelf on her door, she found a candy bar and offered it over to Doreen, "Want to talk about it?"

<Doreen> "Not really..." She sighed. "I'm not drinking anymore, especially not with Cassie. Or guys... guys are assholes."

<Jessica> "Just don't go out drinking on your own... and never accept drinks from guys unless you've watched the bar staff pour it and have received it from them. You can't trust everyone..." she gave Doreen a sympathetic look.

<Doreen> "Yeah... I just wanted to forget about this week." She sniffled a little. "I don't have any friends to go out drinking with me... if it wasn't for you I'd be frozen on the sidewalk."

<Jessica> "I'm sure you could have called someone - even the staff at the school, they'd come and help you if you're in trouble. It's their job, if nothing else."

<Doreen> "Yeah sorry..." Doreen stared down at the floor boards.

<Jessica> "It's alright... I'm glad you called." She reached over to give Doreen's upper arm a reassuring rub, "Do you want me to take you back to the school?"

<Doreen> "Not really..." Doreen fronwed. "There's no where else I can go though."

<Jessica> "Well... you could come back to mine if you don't mind the highest room in the house? The good spare room's sort of occupied at the moment." Sebastian probably wouldn't mind...

<Doreen> "If it's okay." She gave Jessica a genuine smile. "I think I'm starting to see the point you were making...."

<Jessica> "I'm sorry it took this to happen for you to understand..." and she genuinely was, she hated seeing things like this happen to people. "You can stay the night with us and I'll drive you home tomorrow."

<Doreen> "Thanks." She chewed her lip a little. This was weird to her, but in a good way.

<Jessica> "You're welcome," Jess offered her a smile, making the turn in the direction of home.

<Doreen> "C... can I take a shower there?" She frowned a little. "My clothes are ruined...."

<Jessica> "You can take a shower and I'll find you something to wear too... and even feed you."

<Doreen> "Damn.... you're fucking awesome," she admitted with a smile on her face. Her whole body was finally warm and she was feeling a little better.

<Jessica> "I know." She gave Doreen a grin, "And you're welcome.... oh one thing though, don't freak out when we get home because people are sleeping. I know my dog is silver and excitable but he's harmless and adorable."

<Doreen> "Your dog is silver?" She stared at Jessica for a second.

<Jessica> "Yes... and not always a dog. He was a present... he's kind of like Professor Kincaid just... smaller." She slowed down and pulled into the parking space.

<Doreen> "I.... uhmm ok." Doreen was a little scared now. "No other surprises like axe murderers in the closet?"

<Jessica> "No... just the Shinobi in the basement but he'll probably just hit on you. Feel free to shoot him down... that's assuming he even ventures out of the basement."

<Doreen> "Can I kick him in the balls...?" She glared a little. Doreen was done with men for a little while.

<Jessica> "I wouldn't... we're trying to teach him how to be nice and normal... and that might put him off trying." She turned off the engine and opened her door to get out.

<Doreen> "Okay. I'll be good too. Okay so silver dog is nice. Basement man is to be avoided."

<Jessica> "And please try not to wake Sebastian up... it'll be hard because his hearing is almost as good as mine but try..." She got out of the car and closed the door, waiting for Doreen to do the same before she locked it and went to let them in.

<Doreen> Doreen carefully closed the door and followed Jessica. "I'll do my best. I can be sneaky." She was feeling a lot better now thanks to Jess.

<Jessica> "Okay, we'll get you showered first and then get some food in you... unless you'd rather do it the other way around?"

<Doreen> "That sounds good. But won't it wake him up?" She frowned.

<Jessica> "The bathroom you'll be using is two floors above the bedroom and the kitchen is on the floor below that so... hopefully not. He's used to me wandering around the kitchen at all hours. I bake when I can't sleep."

<Doreen> "Oh okay." She followed where Jessica led her. "You're a really nice person, Jessica." She carefully gave her a hug.

<Jessica> Jess returned the hug then took off her coat to hang it up, closing the front door behind them and leading the way up the stairs, past the bedroom and the nursery, past the kitchen and living room and up to the remaining guest room and ensuite. She led Doreen along the hall and opened the door for her, flicking on the light, "Bathroom's just there, I'll get you some clothes while you shower."

<Doreen> "Thank you again Jessica." She went to start the shower and get into it so she could clean herself off.

<Jessica> Jess gathered some loose fitting clothes from her closet to leave on the bed for Doreen then went back down to the kitchen to put the kettle on.

<Doreen> Doreen showered quickly, making sure she cleaned herself completely. She got out and put the clothes on that Jessica left for her and went to look for her. "These are really comfy."

<Jessica> "You can keep them, if you want," she offered a smile, "I would rather they go to a good home than hide in the back of the closet forever."

<Doreen> "Thanks. So uhmm... How are you?" Doreen didn't know what to say. For once she was at a loss for words.

<Jessica> "Other than sleep deprived?" she offered a good natured smile, "I'm good. How are you feeling now? And, more importantly, what do you want to eat?"

<Doreen> "Better. Uhmm, funyuns?" She chewed her lip.

<Jessica> "... I don't even know what that is. How about I make you something light, just in case it doesn't sit well with the alcohol? You're not vegetarian or anything?"

<Doreen> "Anything's fine. I usually just grab a bag of chips when I'm hungry. Or fast food."

<Jessica> "Ew," Jess wrinkled her nose, "Well, I fixed that in Sebastian... mostly, I'll fix it in you too. You're having real food." She went to the fridge to get started.

<Doreen> "You should see the stuff they called food at the last home I ran away from. I swear I saw it moving on it's own."

<Jessica> "That is awful." Jess found some chicken, salady things and put a small amount of rice on to cook. "You need starch to soak up all the bad stuff in your system and a bit of protein and some vitamins never hurt anyone."

<Doreen> "Yeah?" She leaned up against a counter not knowing what to do.

<Jessica> "Yes." She gave Doreen a smile, well practiced hands preparing the chicken and setting it on the grill before she went to wash her hands and get a fresh knife and chopping board for the vegetables.

<Doreen> "You're really good at that." Doreen watched as Jessica worked. "I never learned how to do any of this stuff."

<Jessica> "I had nothing better to do growing up so... every country we went to, I learned how to cook like the locals. I got very good at it and I still enjoy it... I love food."

<Doreen> "Oh... uhm, sounds fun? I can mow a lawn really well." Doreen frowned a little bit.

<Jessica> "Learning how to cook is one of the best things you can do. It amazes me how few students at the University know how to fend for themselves beyond calling for take-... I think I know what I want to do."

<Doreen> "I can cook over a campfire if you don't mind black things. My smores are awesome but my hotdogs might be more charcoal than meat."

<Jessica> "I will fix that. For every one of you that is in dire need of a lesson in real food. I will teach you. And all the rest."

<Doreen> "I hope you don't mind the smell of smoke." Doreen giggled a little.

<Jessica> Jess laughed softly, shaking her head and going to take out two plates, neatly arranging equal amounts of salad on both. "I can handle it."

<Doreen> "Does that mean I have to learn to cook now?" Doreen caught a whiff of the heavenly aroma that was home cooking. "Mmm that smells amazing."

<Jessica> "You don't have to, but you should," the tell-tale thump and skitter of Sharky on the stairs made her turn toward the door, "Hey, shhhhh, don't wake Sebastian!" she hissed. Sharky gave a soft yip and trotted up to Doreen to say hi, tail wagging.

<Doreen> Doreen flicked her tail up to avoid the dog. "Hi there little evil thing. Please don't try to eat my tail...."

<Jessica> Sharky yipped again, hopping from paw to paw excitedly before running to get his ball. "He won't, he likes you - he loooooves people." And he was so going to wake Sebastian up.

<Doreen> "Yeah..." She avoided the dog as best she could. "But dogs love squirrels."

<Jessica> "It's alright, I promise," she smiled as Sharky came back and dropped his ball at Doreen's feet, "He just wants to play catch." Sharky yipped again, then looked over at Jess, "Yes, you're making too much noise. Shh!"

<Doreen> Doreen carefully reached for the ball and rolled it away from them, not wanting to anger the beast. Her feral disposition to avoid dogs kicking in.

<Shaw> Sebastian was already awake, and he'd looked for his wife, discovered her missing, roused Shinobi, reviewed the security footage, then realized she'd gone off on her own of her own free will. Shinobi had gone back to bed, but Sebastian had not. He'd activated the tracking tech on her phone - just in case - and was deciding on a course of action when she returned... with a guest.

<Shaw> He'd heard enough of their conversation to realize who it was, and something of what had happened, so he bode his time.

<Jessica> Sharky skittered after the ball and brought it back, tail wagging more than ever, "I promise he won't bite you. You're not threatening my safety in any way so there's nothing to worry about." She went to get the rice onto their plates and take the chicken out of the grill.

<Doreen> "Okay..." She rolled it off again. "As long as he doesn't try to nibble my tail."

<Shaw> His temper was under control, so he ascended to the kitchen level to investigate the situation.

<Jessica> Jess heard the feet on the stairs and chewed her lip as she plated up the chicken. Maybe she should have made extra.

<Doreen> Doreen played around with the dog a little. "You sure he won't bite...? I mean the name sounds a little... bitey."

<Shaw> "Only because he's named after me," he said, taking in their visitor... who was wearing some of Jessica's old clothes. "Good morning." Sebastian's eyes drifted to Jess.

<Jessica> "Hi... sorry, did we wake you?" Her nose wrinkled and Sharky looked guilty.

<Shaw> "No." He gave her a pointed look. "You didn't."

<Jessica> Oh. Right. She cringed a little, "Sorry... I thought you could use your sleep and I was only going to pick up Doreen and come back..."

<Doreen> "H...hi." She backed away from what was possibly going to be yelling.

<Shaw> This caused his attention to focus on the young woman with the tail and he gave her a small smile. "Hello, Miss Green. Are you all right?"

<Doreen> "Y...yeah." She bit her lip and looked away. "I've been through worse," Doreen lied, not wanting to talk to him about it.

<Jessica> "She was stranded in town and it's freezing out there so I brought her back here to warm up rather than drive all the way to the school," Jess decided to help out.

<Shaw> Jess was still a fairly terrible liar, so he bent down to greet Sharky and hide his slight smirk. After a moment, he managed a more friendly expression for their guest. "Well then, I'm glad Jess was able to assist you."

<Doreen> "Y...yeah. I'm just glad I didn't have to walk home..."

<Shaw> Now that he was looking at her, he saw the fading marks. Sebastian stepped closer. "You will be safe here," he assured her, after another long moment of assessment.

<Doreen> Doreen stepped back away from Sebastian. "Th..thanks."

<Jessica> "Here..." Jess offered Doreen's plate to her and her own plate to Sebastian in an attempt at a peace offering. "Eat up."

<Shaw> "No thank you, love." Sebastian gently pushed it back to her. "I'm not hungry, and I'm sure you are." He smiled, though it didn't reach his eyes.

<Doreen> Doreen took her plate and moved next to Jessica to hide a little. "Was he always this scary looking." She whispered.

<Jessica> She was, but that was normal these days. She nodded to Doreen's question, raising an eyebrow at her.

<Shaw> "...you realize I have enhanced hearing, yes, Miss Green?"

<Doreen> Doreen jumped a little. "Now I do..."

<Shaw> He smirked.

<Jessica> "We both do," Jess clarified, "But he's just mentioning it to intimidate you and he should stop it because you're a guest."

<Shaw> His gaze shifted to his wife and the corner of his mouth twitched.

<Doreen> Doreen took a little bite of the food Jessica made for her. "God this is amazin...."

<Shaw> It broke the tension and he chuckled. "I'll leave you ladies to it." With a nod at the younger girl and a more genuine smile at his wife, he clucked his tongue at Sharky and turned to go back downstairs. The silver dog skittered at his heels.

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "It's not that good... jeez, my roast chicken would knock you over. But, you're welcome." She watched Sebastian leave and rolled Sharky's ball after him. "Let's go sit in the dining room while we eat, better for your digestion than standing up... and I'll stay up with you if that's what you want."

<Doreen> "Thanks Jessica. For everything." She would have given her a hug if it wasn't for the plate in her hands. "I should have learned how to make this instead of making spam edible..."

<Jessica> "Don't worry, plenty of time for that later. I will impart my knowledge on the deserving and the desperate," she tossed Doreen a grin, leading the way to the dining room and sitting down.

<Doreen> Doreen followed Jessica into the dining room and took her own seat. She wasn't going to let food get cold.

<Jessica> Jess let the comfortable silence continue while they ate and tried not to think about the probable argument she had to look forward to later. For now, she was happy to have made a friend and that she'd been able to help her.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6