2/4 Instance: In the Deep Freeze

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

2/4 Instance: In the Deep Freeze

Post by Slarti »

Timelined about the same time as Lights Out

<Jessica> Kitchen cleaned and breakfast well and truely over, Jess headed back down the stairs to take a shower. On the way to the bedroom, she paused at the nursery to check on Miriam and found the crib empty. There was a moment where she was frozen in one place by the fear then she bolted for the bedroom to try and find Sebastian, reaching out for him with her mind at the same time.

<Shaw> He jumped awake from a doze. That panic wasn't his and he very nearly sat up, then stopped himself at the last moment since he had a peacefully sleeping baby cradled on his chest. What's wrong, love? he managed.

<Jessica> Where's Miriam? She burst into the room, still in a panic and stopped half way to the bed.

<Shaw> Helpfully, he raised one hand and pointed down to himself.

<Jessica> I see that now! You couldn't have said something? She was still a bit mad at him from the day before and it was probably a bit unfair to be this mad at him about cuddling his own daughter but still.

<Shaw> Well... He was still half asleep, and now irritated. I didn't know you were looking for her. Miriam made a snuffling noise and burrowed in under his chin. Sebastian made a soothing sound and rubbed the baby's back, watching his wife warily.

<Jessica> I thought she'd-... I don't know what I thought! She covered her face with her hands, turning her back to him and taking in a few deep breaths to try and calm herself down.

<Shaw> Then, he realized. She'd been taken? I'm sorry, he sent, this time with real regret. She was restless after I got out of the shower so I thought to bring her in here. Sebastian freed a hand again and reached out to her.

<Jessica> You should have said something - you knew I was up... I have to know where she is... She pushed her hands through her hair, clenching them into fists when she realised she was shaking. The weather's not helping at all...

<Shaw> Sebastian made a sympathetic noise. Come here. I'm sorry.

<Jessica> She was still mad at him but she went to him anyway, climbing onto the bed and curling up beside him. I hate storms...

<Shaw> I know, and this is a bad one. To make his point for him, the building creaked at a gust of wind and the power flickered.

<Jessica> Jess curled up tighter and groped for the blanket to hide under. Fuck showering.

<Shaw> Carefully, he turned toward her and shifted Miriam again so he could slide his arm around her. It will pass.

<Jessica> Before or after the house blows away? She was still mad. She rested a hand on Miriam's back for a moment but worried she'd pass along her anxiety so she withdrew it again.

<Shaw> The house will not blow away. He picked up her hand and kissed it. Part of what Hope and I worked on last night was a bypass of the power grid. It is... partially finished. So we'll have emergency power, if need be.

<Jessica> So that's where you were all night... obviously didn't feel that bad then.

<Shaw> I needed time to think. He kept her hand pressed against his lips, watching her face.

<Jessica> And what did you think about? She met his eyes, her gaze steady.

<Shaw> Yesterday.

<Jessica> What about yesterday specifically? And it better feature the word 'sorry' very strongly.

<Shaw> You were right. I shouldn't meddle. He sighed and kissed her hand again, then folded her fingers under his and rested their joined hands on his chest beside Miriam. My concerns are for both of them, truly, but I can't forbid them from seeing one another.

<Jessica> Of course I was right. She rolled her eyes, I'm worried about them too, of course I am... but I also want them to be happy and if they think they can be happy with each other we owe it to them to let them try... I mean, God, do you have any idea how many people told me I shouldn't date you?

<Shaw> I'm aware, but they have some... additional complications. The eye roll amused and irritated him in equal part.

<Jessica> Well don't we all? I'm not pretending this is going to be easy... but it'd be a lot less fucking difficult if Yukio could have just listened when I told her to leave him alone.

<Shaw> I want to be clear here. I did not ask her to do that. It had been a tempting, but passing thought.

<Jessica> No but you put the idea in her head when we were over there and she wouldn't drop it and leave it alone.

<Shaw> Yes, and we'll be having a chat about that after the storm, but I don't believe it will be a problem again. Sebastian sighed, looking past Jess to the window and the white-out conditions outside. They're both quite attached, I think.

<Jessica> I tried to explain that to Yukio... She sighed, nestling against him and squeezing her eyes shut against the sound of another strong gust of wind attacking the building.

<Shaw> Am I forgiven? He held her closer, quite content to have his family together right here.

<Jessica> Until you do something else to piss me off, then who knows... She nuzzled his shoulder, turning her head to press a kiss to his neck.

<Shaw> Sebastian chuckled quietly. I shall endeavor to behave myself then. At least for a while.

<Jessica> You better... She wrapped an arm around him and cuddled him, less angry now.

<Shaw> Yes, ma'am. He grinned up at the ceiling.

<Jessica> Jess shifted to prop herself up on an elbow and kiss him. Then the power flickered out.

<Shaw> Sebastian was nonplussed and gave her a quick kiss anyway. "It's fine. We'll see if it comes back on."

<Jessica> Jess bit her lip, hoping that would be the case but, as the seconds ticked by, her anxiety levels rose steadily.

<Shaw> "It's fine," he repeated, sensing her alarm, and stroked her back. We're going to have to tell him soon, you realize, and Hope believes it should be you, or her. Distraction was always a solid idea.

<Jessica> Jess nodded, I'll do what I can... try and be gentle.... There was really no good way to tell someone something like that but she was determined to do better than Viper had done with Broo... although Broo took it rather well.

<Shaw> Point of fact, she said anyone but me. This still amused him, although he knew it was true.

<Jessica> Well things are always a bit tense around you two....

<Shaw> I've tried to make an effort to alleviate that... Mostly. But I never foresaw this... attachment developing.

<Jessica> Because you forget how to think like a human most of the time. She smirked a little, reaching to brush his cheek with the backs of her fingers.

<Shaw> He gave her a wounded look. "I am not a robot. I thought we'd covered this."

<Jessica> I know you're not... but sometimes I think you like that other people think that.

<Shaw> Of course I do. His tone was amused. But truthfully, I didn't expect this of Hope. "Tony is going to want my head on a pike," he said aloud, remembering this implication anew once again.

<Jessica> "No he isn't. He'll forget alllll about it because I'll make sure to talk him round. What else am I for?"

<Shaw> "Quite true, my beautiful queen." He grinned and craned his neck to give her another kiss.

<Jessica> She smiled and returned the kiss, "Come on... if the power doesn't come back we'll get cold so better light some candles to keep the heat in the rooms." And add more layers than her nightdress and robe.

<Shaw> "Well, and I did stock wood for the fireplace. That just means we'll need to relocate to the living room. I can move Miriam's crib there. At least she'll stay warm." He reached for his phone and frowned. "No service."

<Jessica> "Not surprising..." She sat up, "I'm going to change... and find all the spare blankets."

<Shaw> Sebastian sat up slowly, moving Miriam to his shoulder. The girl grumbled and squirmed, trying to raise her head. "Ah, and Miriam has decided to join our party."

<Jessica> "Well she'll have to wait if she wants feeding..." She groaned when she thought about the contents of the freezer, "Crap we'll have to eat everything... or I guess I could carry the freezer outside."

<Shaw> "The freezer will wait for a while." Miriam made a whining noise, that he was sure would quickly escalate into a cry. "I can get it later as well."

<Jessica> "Nope - you've done all the heavy lifting for months. I am done being waited on." She bent to kiss the end of his nose, "I love you but I can pick up and throw a car. I can manage a freezer."

<Shaw> "Very well. I'll hold the baby and you may throw the freezer." He smirked, standing up carefully. Finding a shirt would be more difficult with his passenger, but he could hardly complain.

<Jessica> Jess laughed, hurrying to take a quick shower while there was still hot water. "And I will enjoy every minute of it!" she called.

<Shaw> Sebastian laughed and turned his head to kiss Miriam's fuzzy hair. "After we find a shirt, we'll go find your brother and sister, yes?"

<Jessica> "And you'll knock!" Jess added before she closed the door to the bathroom in an attempt to retain the heat.

<Shaw> "And we'll knock." He smirked at the door. After all, it wasn't as if he couldn't hear exactly what was going on in that basement.