2/24 Instance: Stewing Concerns

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

2/24 Instance: Stewing Concerns

Post by Slarti »

Timelined at the end of the blizzard

<Hope> Lulled by the candlelight and the warmth of Shinobi's bed, Hope had fallen asleep, completely on top of him. She mumbled in her sleep, snuggling down into her warm pillow.

<Shinobi> This, he had to admit, was much better than wandering around outside worrying about worst-case scenarios. Hope Stark was sleeping in his bed, on his chest, with that bright mermaid hair spread out like a blanket. He had played with it until he was afraid he was going to wake her, and then satisfied himself with burying his hand near the back of her neck to enjoy her warmth.

<Jessica> Jess was working on dinner. She'd rescued some meat that needed eating and a few veggies and had cobbled together a stew. It was almost done and she turned it down to a simmer while she sorted out bowls and spoons.

<Hope> She shifted again, muttering, then smiling. She opened her eyes, starting to realize where she was. She looked up at him, settling into a brighter grin. "Hey."

<Shaw> While Jess cooked, Sebastian kept to himself, quietly playing with Miriam - and Sharky - and restocking their firewood.

<Shinobi> "Hey." He had to crane his neck a little to see her face and returned the grin. "Have a nice nap, Ariel?"

<Hope> "Mmm," she laughed a little, sitting up just enough to look down at him. "Did you sleep at all?"

<Jessica> The kitchen was nice and warm, thanks to a combination of the cooker and more candles but Jess picked up her blanket before she headed down the stairs because the rest of the house was freezing.

<Shinobi> "Sort of. I think I dozed off for a while but then I heard... things." His nose wrinkled.

<Hope> She gave him a confused look. "Things? What kind of things. Is the power back on?"

<Shinobi> "Nooo. I think it was... them..." He'd heard them before, after all. Unfortunately.

<Hope> "Them wha-... oh Ew! Ewww, How? Ew!" Hope wrinkled her nose and buried her face against him. Ew.

<Shinobi> "How? Well... if you don't already know..." Now he was laughing, since the horror was shared.

<Jessica> Jess reached the ground floor, pausing to readjust her blanket and shiver, before continuing to the basement steps.

<Hope> "Ass!" She poked him, making a face at him.

<Shinobi> That just encouraged him, and he shifted his arms around her. "Well now I wasn't taking notes on if they were doing that..."

<Jessica> She knocked on the door at the bottom of the steps, rolling her eyes a little at the conversation.

<Hope> Hope laughed more as she was captured. "I would hope not..." She turned her head at the knock, looking first at the door, then at him.

<Shinobi> His expression clearly said they'd been caught, but he didn't care. "Yeah?" he called, not at all inclined to get up, even if it was Sebastian, which was unlikely, since he'd just break down the door.

<Jessica> "I made some dinner, nothing fancy, just a stew but it's hot and the kitchen's warm if you're hungry," Jess called through the door, "Come up when you're ready."

<Shinobi> "Thanks..." he ventured, eyes still on Hope. What he really wanted to ask was if they had to go upstairs.

<Jessica> Jess turned and headed back up the stairs to the relative warmth of the living room to fetch Sebastian on the way.

<Hope> Hope looked back over at Shinobi, wriggling her hand up to run through his hair. "Are you hungry?"

<Shinobi> He smirked. "That's a loaded question."

<Hope> She couldn't help it. She poked him again for that one, laughing. "For fooood," she clarified, still laughing.

<Jessica> "Dinner's ready," Jess informed Sebastian as she reached the landing below the kitchen, she looked into the living room and offered him a smile.

<Shaw> Sebastian looked up from Miriam, who was stretched out in his lap reaching for one of her crinkly toys. "Ah, thank you, love." He smiled. "Are they coming up?"

<Jessica> "I don't know. I let them know there's food so they'll come up when they feel like it."

<Shaw> "Mmm." Sebastian gathered Miriam and cradled her against his chest, getting up to follow Jess. "Perhaps we should eat here? It's warmer, after all."

<Shinobi> He captured the offending finger and wrapped his hand around hers. "Yeah, I am, but it's... better down here." Drawing her hand closer, he nuzzled her wrist, then turned her hand to give her palm the attention.

<Jessica> "It's quite cozy in the kitchen now, actually - I can't cook wearing a blanket," she smiled over her shoulder as she climbed the stairs ahead of him.

<Hope> Hope was glad the candlelight hid most of the blushing. Was what this blushing shit? She needed to get a grip. She couldn't help but grin at him, leaning in to kiss him softly.

<Shinobi> He watched her face, and was more than happy to meet her for the kiss, guiding her hand back up to his hair as an additional distraction.

<Hope> Shinobi's tactic worked. She played with his hair, forgetting about food momentarily.

<Shaw> "True enough." He followed his wife, admiring the view, as blanket obscured as it was.

<Jessica> "I hope the power comes back on soon though... water takes too damn long to boil for a cup of tea on the stove." She went straight to the bowls to ladle stew into two of them.

<Shaw> "Well, point of fact, Hope was working on the generator to bypass the electrical grid earlier, but I doubt she got terribly far in her state. Perhaps I'll take a look at it after dinner." He shifted Miriam to help her a bit.

<Jessica> "Maybe you should have built one before there was a blizzard on the horizon rather than trying to do it now in the near-dark with cold hands." She smirked a little and leaned to press a kiss to his cheek.

<Shinobi> Breathing eventually became a problem, and so he broke the kiss, his own hand back in Hope's hair now. He kissed her forehead, eyes still closed as he held her there to enjoy the moment.

<Shaw> "Maybe I should have," he said, with mockingly narrowed eyes and a smirk of his own. "I'm sure Widget would agree."

<Hope> Keeping her own eyes closed, Hope lingered in his touch. Her stomach, however, betrayed her desires to stay put by grumbling at them.

<Jessica> "Of course he would. He always agrees with me. He's a mommy's boy." She laughed, picking up both bowls and taking them to the small table.

<Shaw> Sebastian sat down, baby still resting against him, and decided he could eat with one arm. "That he is. You've ruined him well," he teased.

<Jessica> "Improved, you mean." She deposited a spoon in his bowl as she took her own seat.

<Shaw> "If by improved you mean taught to bake and color coordinate and to wear aprons." He nodded and thanked her, stirring the hot stew with his free hand.

<Jessica> "Yep." She grinned, "He's useful now."

<Shinobi> He laughed at the sound, rolling to flip her onto her back. Moving downward, he kept his eyes on hers with a cocky smirk, then paused over her stomach and tilted his head to listen. "I think we better get you some food."

<Hope> Hope was easy to flip. She laughed as she landed on her back, hands resting on him as she watched him move over her body. "I think we should too."

<Shinobi> "Well then, what are we waiting for?" Frankly, he could think of a half dozen reasons to stay downstairs, but instead of dwelling he ramped up the smirk, slowly lowering his head, and pressed a kiss to her clothed belly.

<Hope> She grinned at that, sitting up carefully and slowly to give him time to move. "We should probably blow out all the candles though, yeah?"

<Shaw> "Useful is a relative term," he snickered, scooping out a bite and taking a careful sniff before he realized he needed to blow on it.

<Jessica> "Well what use did you plan on putting him to? Other than just being a fun project and a distraction?" She blew on her own spoonful of stew before taking a bite.

<Shinobi> "Probably, unless we think we might need to make a fast retreat." Shinobi took a moment sitting up, taking a deep breath before standing.

<Hope> Shuddering at both the sudden cold and the idea, Hope held out her hands for him to help her out of the nest of a bed they had made. "We might. Maybe leave one lit."

<Shinobi> "One it is." He took her hands and pulled her into a sitting position, then decided he could do better than that and let go of her hands to scoop her up.

<Hope> Hope grinned and wrapped her arms around his neck. He was still warm, and she was quite content to stay in his arms. She kissed his cheek happily. "Thanks!"

<Shaw> "Well, you know he is tied to the home security systems, and runs the entertainment system, but I've not tinkered with him for some time... I should make some time for that. He certainly could use a balance upgrade." Sebastian took a careful bite and smiled at Jess. "Quite good, koibito!"

<Jessica> "Only quite good? Am I losing my touch?"

<Shaw> "Quite wonderful, especially considering you were working with leftovers and no light," he chuckled, taking a sip of water. "I would think Hope would approve, since it seems appropriate for this indoor camping adventure."

<Jessica> "Well that remains to be seen... she's like you before I claimed ownership of your kitchen."

<Shinobi> "You're welcome." Just as the other times he'd picked her up recently, she was so light. "Ready?" He decided they probably needed some blankets, and nodded toward them, bending so she could grab them.

<Hope> She scooped up the blankets and held onto them, stealing a kiss to his cheek while she could. "Ready!"

<Shaw> "At the mercy of a good carry-out restaurant with flexible hours and a variety of menu options," he agreed. Miriam made a noise and he paused to fuss with her.

<Jessica> "And she has no desire to change it... it's like she thinks healthy food will burn her... or turn her inside out." She shook her head.

<Shaw> "She's a Stark, love," he laughed. "It very well might."

<Jessica> "...what if I put booze in it?"

<Shinobi> Shinobi phased, taking the express route upstairs, stopping at the living room to drop off the blankets. It's quiet right here at least. He stole a kiss and set her on her feet.

<Hope> Blankets deposited, Hope grinned and kissed him again as she steadied herself on her own feet. Very quiet.

<Shaw> "That might do the trick. Or, at least season it with just a touch to lure her in." Sebastian took another bite, cocking his head to listen to some movement.

<Shinobi> If they weren't in the kitchen, I would say we should steal food and retreat. He smirked. I did that for weeks, after all...

<Hope> While I am loving that idea, we should make an appearance. She broke the kiss, taking his hand securely in her own.

<Jessica> "I'll bear that in mind... maybe when we have power I'll make a steak and ale pie."

<Shaw> Sebastian looked up with a smile. "Well, now you have to, and not just for Hope's sake."

<Jessica> She laughed, "Alright, I'll make one. I like making pies."

<Shinobi> Their fingers tightly interlaced, he took a deep breath and led the way.

<Hope> Hope kept a tight grip on him, cringing the closer they got to the kitchen. She did not want to deal with Sebastian. Jess she could handle.

<Jessica> The appearance of Hope and Shinobi made Jess smile again and she dropped her spoon into her bowl, getting up to get a helping for each of them.

<Shaw> Sebastian stirred the bowl, turning his head just slightly to watch their entrance. He nodded in acknowledgment.

<Shinobi> His eyes were already on his father, just waiting for the explosion.

<Hope> Hope looked between Shinobi and Sebastian. She sighed and moved to the stove. She needed scotch.

<Jessica> Jess knew that look and leaned to mutter to her, "If you spike my cooking I will end you."

<Hope> Blinking, Hope stared at her. "I like my alcohol straight, thanks."

<Jessica> "Mmhmm," Jess passed her a bowl.

<Shinobi> Unfortunately, now he was alone with Sebastian just a few feet away and giving him the side eye.

<Hope> Hope took a seat on the counter, poking at the food a bit. Well, she was hungry... She took the spoon and scooped up a bite, sampling it.

<Jessica> "Hope... go sit at the table..." Jess sighed a weary sigh.

<Hope> "You are a thief of joy." Hope told her around the spoon as she hopped down and slumped into a seat at the table.

<Jessica> "And your ass is a thief of counter space." She picked up the bowl for Shinobi and set it down in the space beside Hope, gesturing for him to join them. They were going to sit and eat together.

<Hope> "You aren't cooking anymore," she pointed out in argument. And Sebastian was being weird. And quiet. And weird. She wanted back on her counter.

<Shaw> And Sebastian sensed she was looking at him, so his attention turned to her as he took a slow bite of the stew.

<Shinobi> He wasn't going to be able to get out of this, so he went around the table via Jessica, not wanting to get too near Sebastian, and thanked her quietly. After a beat, he waited for Jessica to sit down.

<Jessica> Jess put her hands on her hips, standing beside her chair. She would give Sebastian a moment to stop doing that thing and Hope one to stop whining and then she would sit down.

<Shinobi> His hand on the back of the chair, he began to fidget with the wood.

<Hope> Hope leaned in a bit to Sebastian, eying him in return.

<Jessica> "Can we just have a meal where no one yells and no one grrs and no one threatens to run away?"

<Shaw> Sebastian raised an eyebrow, giving her an assessing stare and a slow blink.

<Hope> Biting back her comment, she smirked at Sebastian and went back to her food.

<Jessica> Jess sighed and took her seat, picking up her spoon again and slouching so low her nose was level with the top of her bowl. Why did she bother?

<Shinobi> He quickly slid into the chair, pretending to shift it forward and dropping his hand onto Hope's thigh instead.

<Shaw> "Of course, love," he said, his response only slightly delayed. Noticing Jessica's posture, he closed his eyes. This was difficult, for many reasons.

<Hope> That quickly brought Hope back to where she was. She smiled at him and took another bite of the dinner, watching Sebastian a bit while she chewed and thought.

<Shinobi> Ah, another awkward family dinner. How charming. Shinobi realized he was hungry, however, and took a bite, deciding to ignore Sebastian.

<Shaw> The tension could fairly well be cut with a knife, and so Sebastian sat up and resettled Miriam, who was gumming his shirt collar now. "Perhaps later we could work on the generator again?"

<Hope> "You took my engineering supplies." She pointed out, glancing at him as she took a bite.

<Shaw> "You seem to have gotten one essential component back already." His eyes slid to Shinobi and then back, his eyebrow raised. "Surely the other is no longer required?"

<Hope> "Given present circumstances of such repairs? Yes. It is definitely needed." Her hand slid to Shinobi's hand resting on her thigh.

<Jessica> And now they were talking in metaphors. Jess couldn't decide if this was better or worse than openly rowing.

<Shinobi> Interlacing their fingers again, he smiled at the bowl, but then decided since they were talking about him, in a not at all obvious manner, that he would watch them do it.

<Shaw> "Is it really?" He watched the both of them curiously.

<Hope> Hope looked Sebastian up and down. "Yes. Perhaps more supplies are required as well. The state is rather... slow. And laborious. Temperamental."

<Shaw> Sebastian laughed, shaking his head.

<Hope> Hope smiled and gave Sebastian a soft shove, going back to her food.

<Shaw> He rocked from the shove and made a show of shielding Miriam. "Tsk."

<Hope> "Oh she's fine," She dismissed his show of protection with an eye roll.

<Shinobi> Shinobi looked at Hope and then Jess for answers, slowly picking at the bowl of stew.

<Jessica> Jess felt eyes on her and looked at Shinobi over the rim of her bowl, eyebrows raised. She didn't understand them sometimes either.

<Shaw> "Are you?" He asked the baby, smoothing her hair, and then went back to his own dinner.

<Shinobi> Well, at least he wasn't the only one at a loss. One corner of his mouth ticked up and he shrugged a shoulder at his stepmother.

<Hope> Lacing their fingers back together, Hope looked over at Shinobi with a smile.

<Jessica> Jess' eyes wandered between Hope and Sebastian. Was it safe to straighten up again now?

<Shaw> He cleared his throat. "Well, I am quite serious about working on the bypass."

<Hope> "I'm quite serious about all of it," she informed Sebastian, taking another bite. "But I am so over this indoor camping. Let's get this done."

<Shaw> Inclining his head in agreement, he decided to turn his attention to his faux son after another slow bite of stew and a sip of water.

<Jessica> Jess tentatively straightened up in her seat.

<Hope> Hope took the opportunity to really look at the little family she was sharing the table with. She smiled to herself, squeezing Shinobi's hand in her own and taking another bite. They were cute.

<Shaw> "Shinobi," he started, taking a deep breath, "I find myself in a rather uncomfortable position this evening."

<Shinobi> The bite he was taking very nearly went down the wrong way.

<Jessica> Jess looked at Sebastian out of the corner of her eyes and considered sinking back down to table level again.

<Hope> That brought her attention right back to Sebastian. She blinked, then leaned back in her chair, hand still on her spoon. It was easier to throw at him if it was at the ready.

<Shinobi> "Yeah?" He was expecting the absolute worst from this, and his hold on Hope's hand tightened again. Feigning indifference was going to be impossible.

<Shaw> "Yes." Sebastian tapped his own spoon on the bowl, pausing to meet Jessica's eyes before he looked back between the young couple. They were fooling no one by keeping their hands below the table.

<Hope> Hope couldn't handle the wait. "And what... position is that?"

<Jessica> On the sofa if this blew up again.

<Shinobi> Deciding to meet this head on, he drew himself up to stare his father down.

<Shaw> He smirked. "It was not my intent to upset you earlier when I brought up your... legal situation-"

<Shinobi> He snorted. "Right."

<Jessica> Jess shot Shinobi a warning look.

<Shaw> "It was not." He sniffed, observing his faux son. "I'm told I can be... a tad brusque." Clearing his throat, he continued. "At any rate, as Jessica told you, I am pursuing legal avenues to clear your record. I will continue to do so."

<Hope> Hope relaxed her hold on Shinobi, smiling. Sebastian was being civil, so she had no reason to fling cutlery at him.

<Shinobi> "And what are the conditions for your assistance?"

<Shaw> His eyes flicked to Jessica for a moment, then back. "There are none, per se. Only the continuation of our previous agreement -- that you would try." Sebastian shifted, giving Shinobi a slight smile. "Which, you have been."

<Hope> "And?" Hope questioned.

<Jessica> "That's all," Jess threw in, "Nothing else."

<Shaw> He looked between the two women with a smirk. "Quite."

<Hope> "Then I have a condition for my help with Tony." She set her spoon down, looking directly at Sebastian.

<Shinobi> Shinobi's eyes narrowed and his eyes never left Sebastian's face. He didn't buy that. Hope's words made him look at her questioningly.

<Shaw> "Oh?" He grinned, all teeth. "And what is that?"

<Hope> "You have to stop being meddling in his relationship. Ours… whatever."

<Jessica> "He'll stop," Jess assured her.

<Shaw> "I was not... meddling." He sniffed at the implication. "I was simply showing concern for you both, as I've made adequately clear."

<Hope> Hope just stared him down, waiting for him to realize she wasn't backing down on this.

<Shinobi> "I've survived for most of my life without your concern, so don't feel you need to do me any favors." It came out before he thought better of it.

<Jessica> Jess tossed her spoon back into her bowl and sat back in her seat.

<Shaw> The look he gave Shinobi was exasperated. "No, no more meddling."

<Shinobi> There was no way he believed that, but he nodded stiffly anyway.

<Hope> Hope left Shinobi so she could wrap her arms around her second father, mindful of where the tiny human in his arms was.

<Shaw> Sebastian found himself hugged, and smiled a little, returning it with one arm. "You're going to have to help me with Tony, little Stark."

<Hope> "I know. But if you aren't on our side, it doesn’t matter what I say to him." She smiled a little, ruffling his hair as she reclaimed her seat.

<Jessica> Jess watched this exchange carefully, eyes flicking to Shinobi. She really hoped it didn't all implode.

<Shaw> "As Jessica has pointed out to me, there are parallels between your relationship and our own, so, I know how I would have reacted to such interference."

<Shinobi> Shinobi watched Hope and Sebastian, looking down into his bowl. He wasn't sure he was hungry anymore. Tony Stark was going to be an impossible task.

<Hope> Hope leaned on the table, thinking about that. “I guess you're right, or rather she's right."

<Jessica> Jess turned her head slowly to stare at Hope. Pod person!

<Shaw> Sebastian laughed, tempering his volume when Miriam jumped and wailed.

<Jessica> Jess held her hands out for Miriam, "Here..."

<Hope> She made a face at the wailing. Babies were loud.

<Shaw> "I'm sorry, love..." Sebastian adjusted his hold on the girl, humming to her softly and carefully getting up to circle the table.

<Shinobi> Shinobi's lips pursed at this display, though this annoyance did serve to distract him from his anxiety.

<Jessica> "She's probably hungry..." Jess pointed out.

<Hope> While distracted by Sebastian's humming, Hope snapped back at the mention of feeding the baby. "I think that's our cue, yes?" Please? she begged Shinobi.

<Jessica> "I'm not going to feed her at the table," Jess rolled her eyes.

<Shaw> "Not interested in the stew yet, are you love?" He knelt beside his wife to pass Miriam to her.

<Shinobi> I'm more than ready to get away from here. He watched his father with his family and swallowed.

<Hope> Getting to her feet, Hope held out her hand for him.

<Jessica> Jess pushed her seat out from the table before she took Miriam, "You've barely eaten anything..." She looked at Hope and Shinobi.

<Shinobi> Conflicted, he took Hope's hand, but looked at Jess. We do at least need her on our side, right?

<Hope> She already is, but yes. Hope answered, watching him.

<Jessica> "At least take some with you if you have to go back downstairs..."

<Shaw> "There's no need for you to go." Still stroking Miriam's hair, he sighed. "I'm not so blind I can't see the way each of you seem happier when you are together. There is no reason to fight that."

<Hope> There was nothing more Hope wanted than to escape, but she paused. She looked down at Shinobi instead. What did he want?

<Shinobi> He stared at Sebastian, searching for the trick. "Jess... didn't have to make anything for us, but she did...." Looking up at Hope, he tugged her hand a little. I'm tired of letting him push me to run.

<Hope> Relenting, Hope kept her sigh in her head and sat back down. You can't turn everything into a power struggle with him.

<Jessica> Jess smiled at them both, "I'll be back in a few minutes... help yourselves to more if you're still hungry when you're finished, there's quite a lot left..."

<Shaw> "That she did, and it's wonderful." He helped Jessica up and gave her a quick, soft kiss.

<Hope> Hope did sigh and poked at what was left in her bowl. She needed a vacation.

<Jessica> "It's not poisonous, Hope..." she smirked in amusement and rolled her eyes, "It's good for you. Eat up."

<Shinobi> I've let him win too much. He rested their joined hands on his thigh and brushed his thumb over hers.

<Hope> She turned her head to smile at Shinobi a little, relaxing at his touch. I only pick battles I know I can win or that are worth fighting for. Like that comment? Ignoring her. I did eat her health food.

<Jessica> Jess carried Miriam out and headed down the stairs to the warmth of the living room to feed her.

<Shinobi> He gave her a bemused look and took a bite of the stew. It's not bad. Definitely better than prison food.

<Hope> I ate it. She pointed out. It didn't mean she had to like the food. She smirked and flicked some of Shinobi's hair out of his face.

<Shaw> Sebastian finally had both hands to himself and so decided to top off his own bowl while it was still hot and leave them to their... coupling.

<Shinobi> That made him smile, turning slightly to look at her. Thanks.

<Hope> With Sebastian distracted, Hope stole a kiss. You're welcome.

<Shaw> Sebastian smirked, turning around just in time to catch them.

<Hope> As the kiss ended, Hope settled back in her seat, holding onto Shinobi's hand. "Are you going to help us fix the power?"

<Shinobi> He managed not to stiffen up when he saw his father watching them, but only just. "I assume you mean me helping the two of you fix it." Because that wouldn't be awkward at all.

<Shaw> "Indeed. I believe we should all finish off a bit more of the excellent dinner Jessica was so kind to make for us, and then work on it, yes?" He put his own bowl back on the table and gave theirs pointed looks.

<Hope> Hope passed Shinobi her bowl. He could have what was left if he wanted. "Sounds... kind of like a perfect day," Hope admitted.

<Shinobi> Since she was offering, he wasn't inclined to pass it up. "It'll only be perfect if it ends with electricity."

<Hope> "Challenge accepted."