3/10 Instance: Empathetic

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

3/10 Instance: Empathetic

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

[Meggan] Meggan stopped outside Xavier's office. She'd never been here before, nor had she really spoken to Xavier - even during classes, she was a little afraid of him.

[Meggan] She knocked on the door. It was her only hope really. He was a telepath, so if anyone knew about shielding, he did and he taught Lizzie so he must be good... plus he'd been reccomended by Dr. McCoy... she waited patiently, listening...

[Dr.Xavier] Xavier snorted, his head shooting up. Had he fallen asleep again? He did a quick scan. Ahh Ms. Jones. He straightened himself up, fixing his rumpled collar. "Please come in, Ms. Jones."

[Meggan] Meggan was surprised he knew it was her at first before she remembered that, of course he did - he was a telepath. She opened the door and stepped into his office. "Um... hi.. sir... um... I was wondering if I could ask for your help...."

[Dr.Xavier] "Of course," he smiled at the girl. "Please come in and have a seat."

[Dr.Xavier] He folded his hands on his desk. "Now, what is it I can help you with?"

[Meggan] Meggan closed the door behind her and crossed the room to sit in front of his desk. "Um... my powers are broken... and they've been like this for a few weeks now. I don't know what's causing it but... if it's my empathy I want to see if I can learn how to shieldl better..."

[Meggan] She paused, "See... um... Lizzie said there was a way for me to only let a little bit in if I want to... not have to block it all out.... I don't like shielding because I have to shut it all out - I feel all alone and-" she stopped herself, that was enough.

[Dr.Xavier] He nodded. "You think they're broken? Hmm, that's a very interesting way of putting it."

[Dr.Xavier] "I agree about shielding being something you should learn. Not that you need to use it, but it would be very helpful to have, to use when you need it.

[Dr.Xavier] "But I'm a bit more interested right now in what you said about your powers being broken. What makes you think they are broken? How did they get that way?"

[Meggan] Meggan sighed, she was getting sick of having to explain this. "I thought I'd mastered my powers long before I came here. When I was learning, my shape-shifting was easilly effected by my empathy and I worked so hard to stop that from happening, just so that I could keep my appearance constant."

[Meggan] "And over the last three weeks or so... all of that... all my hard work, seems to have been for nothing. I can't keep my form 'normal' for five minutes. Something alters, whether it's my hair, eyes or my whole body. It's driving me crazy."

[Meggan] "I can't do most of my homework because I shift into anything I'm reading about so I'm falling behind in everything and... I don't know why it's happened. I though it was because I missed Pietro when he went back to Italy for a little while but he's back now and it's not fixed..." she trailed off.

[Dr.Xavier] "Alright....well, perhaps the case is not that your powers have broken, but perhaps they have changed?"

[Dr.Xavier] "Or perhaps when you thought you had mastered them, you had just made a quick patch. And now in an environment where powers are used freely, that patch isn't going to work anymore?"

[Dr.Xavier] "I think my point, Ms. Jones, is that as important as it is to fix this problem, it is to figure out why you are having this problem in the first place. Once we have that answer, the rest will be easy," he gave the girl another smile. He truly enjoyed speaking with his students.

[Meggan] "Professor... I've had these powers my whole life... I had no choice but to master them early on... my family were afraid of me so I had to block out their thoughts of be being a monster just so that I could look human. That's how my powers have always worked - based on perception of me."

[Meggan] "And now... now nothing's working... my idea of me hasn't changed but something's interfering and I don't know what it is or why it took so long... if it's being here, shouldn't it have started at the beginning of term?"

[Dr.Xavier] "Yes, that's possible, but perhaps it's just over time? Maybe you've grown more comfortable here?"

[Dr.Xavier] "Have you seen Dr. McCoy?"

[Meggan] Meggan nodded, "He sent me to you because he didn't think it was a physical problem..." she sighed, was she ever going to figure out what was wrong with her?

[Meggan] "Professor... what if... what if it's not everyone else? What if it's me? How would I know?"

[Dr.Xavier] He sat for a moment thinking over what the girl was saying. "Well, then I think what we need to do is work on your shields."

[Dr.Xavier] "You say you've had this since birth....have you ever had your mind completely to yourself, Meggan?"

[Meggan] Meggan thought about it, "I... I don't think so... but I like it like that... I'm so used to it. And... it's not just people... I feel everything - animals and plants too... I like the company."

[Dr.Xavier] "I understand that, but I think right now it's quite important that we cut you off. Simply to reel your powers back in. It's not a permanent thing, just so we can see where to go, to find out if its others or yourself."

[Meggan] Meggan didn;t like that idea. The very thought of having that ammount of silence scared her. "H-how long?" she chewed her lip, she wished she hadn't said anything now...

[Dr.Xavier] "Not terribly. Long enough for you to understand the difference between "you" and "them". Does that make sense?""

[Meggan] Meggan nodded. She still didn't like the sound of it but she knew it had to be done. Just so she knew what she felt all by herself, without outside influence. "What's it like...? To have that silence?"

[Dr.Xavier] "Soothing. Private. It may be a shock, but I think you'll get used to it."

[Dr.Xavier] He steepled his fingers. "Now, the question is, would you like me to do it for you, or would you like to build your own shields? The reason I ask, is that because you are having such issues, I don't mind stepping in to help."

[Dr.Xavier] "I don't usually offer this. I think it's important for everyone to put their work in. But even if I did do it for you, we'd still need to work on building your shields, for when I removed my shield."

[Meggan] Meggan nodded, "I think... I think I'd like you to help me.... I don't know how long it would take me on my own, it's taken me long enough as it is...." she sighed,

[Meggan] "I-I think... I think I'm scared... I don't want to feel... all alone..." she bit her lip, she had to get over this fear. It was the last hurdle from her childhood, she had to beat it.

[Dr.Xavier] He reached out and placed a hand over hers. "You'll never be alone Meggan. I promise that."

[Dr.Xavier] "Would you like to do it now? Or do you want to wait, maybe until tomorrow?"

[Meggan] Meggan smiled, slightly, It's now or never. "I think... if I put it off, I won't come back..."

[Meggan] "What do I need to do?"

[Dr.Xavier] "Just relax," he said, reaching his mind into hers. "Can you feel me there?"

[Meggan] Meggan concentrated for a minute, "Uh... I think so..." she wasn't entirely sure if she was all that pleased to have a teacher in her head...

[Dr.Xavier] "Alright.....just relax, Meggan," he concentrated, trying to find the part of her mind that controlled her empathy, that recieved and processed the emotions of others.

[Dr.Xavier] It was quite a jumble, but he managed to round these bits up. He worked at constructing a shield around them, trapping this within, not allowing anyone else's emotions to influence her mind.

[Dr.Xavier] It took some time, but finally he had it done. Now, to make sure. "What do you feel now, Meggan?"

[Meggan] Meggan sat staring into space. This didn't feel good at all, "I don't like it..." she looked around. Outside she could see the trees, the grass, birds... but she couldn't feel it. There was nothing...

[Meggan] "It's... It's... not right... how do people do this every day?" she didn't understand, how could anyone function without the constant stream of feeling from everything around them? It was so empty.

[Dr.Xavier] "I'm sure we'd ask the same of you if it were reversed. I know it's not pleasant, but it's important you learn to recgonise your own emotions."

[Dr.Xavier] "I would also like to have regular meetings with you about this, as well as shielding lessons."

[Meggan] "I... um... do I have to go without my empathy til then?" Meggan felt like part of her was missing. She didn't want to feel her own emotions if she had to put up with this silence. No matter how much she wanted to know how she felt, she didn't like this at all.

[Dr.Xavier] "Yes, you will. This is a very important exercise. It may be difficult, but what you get out of it will be well worth it."

[Dr.Xavier] "We can start as soon as tomorrow. But I want you to really take this time to explore your mind, and take note of what you feel."

[Meggan] Meggan felt like her heart could have stopped right then. "Ok..."

[Dr.Xavier] He gave her a sympathetic smile. "It won't be all bad. And in the end, it will be better than it was."

[Meggan] Meggan wasn't entirely sure she believed Xavier at that moment and it wasn't as if she could check he was being sincere either... she sighed heavily. "Professor... I don't think I can get used to this... T-tomorrow... when I come back... can I have my empathy back?"

[Dr.Xavier] He sighed a bit sadly. "We can talk about that tomorrow. But first I would prefer we get a shielding lesson in."

[Dr.Xavier] "But we can talk about all that tomorrow. Relax tonight, Meggan. Do something with a friend. Have fun."

[Meggan] Meggan nodded biting her lip hard. Which friedn was she suppossed to do something with? Alex was sick and Pietro wasn't talking to her. She closed her eyes taking a deep breath and swallowing the lump in her throat. She forced a smile, "I'll... I'll do my best...."

[Meggan] She stood up shakilly, "Thank you, Professor.... I think..."

[Dr.Xavier] "You're welcome," he gave her a small smile. He knew this must be a shock for her. But it was so important. "I will see you tomorrow."

[Meggan] Meggan nodded. Totally forgetting her manners, she left the office without another word and closed the door behind her. Leaning her back against it, she slid down to the floor. So alone...
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€