8/1 Instance: Little Helper.

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

8/1 Instance: Little Helper.

Post by littlebamf »

Timeline about the 8th

Laura skimmed the corridor on her Heeleys and came to a practised stop outside Dr McCoy's office and knocked on the door lightly and stood, fidgeting slightly while she waited to be summoned in.

Hank looked up from his lab reports. "Yes, come in?"

Laura poked her head through the door and beamed toothily. "Hi! Can I see you? You're not like busy or anything are you?"

"Ah, Laura!" He grinned and indicated she sit down. "No, I'm never too busy for you, my dear! It's good to have you back! I know your father is happy to have you back."

She gave a grin and scooted in. "I was thinking...And, like, I want to donate stuff. Like m blood and everything." Laura started, deciding to get straight to the point.

"Cause, I've been testing my healing factor and I think that's what'll make me good at it. I still haven't been able to do anything that I can't heal."

Hank blinked at her rapid fire, but one thing jumped out to alarm him. "Testing your healing factor? And how have you been doing that?"

She pulled her slightly battered Hello Kitty notebook out of her pocket and passed it over. "Um. Sitting at the bottom of the pool. Jumping out of windows. That kinda thing."

"Laura!" He accepted the notebook, leafing through it. He whipped off his glasses and started polishing. "Laura, my dear, I know you can heal from most things... just like your father. But what would possess you to go out on your own, without a controled environment, and try to harm yourself?"

"Like I said, I've been testing. And no one seemed interested and I got bored in the vacation..." she shrugged down in her seat. "Like, I knew you wouldn't be happy, but I want to help people. What's the point of being able to regenerate if I can't do something with it? Other than wear a dumb leather outfit..."

"But... I'm sure if you had gone to your father, or me, we could have at least performed the tests in a safe, controlled environment." He sighed and set the glasses back on his nose, flipping more pages. "However... your results have been impressive."

"Okay, well, like test me! You got a scaple?"

"Now, Laura, Lambchop! My dear!" He blustered. "I-I just can't cut you open just to time how fast you heal! I understand you want to help, but let's think about how to approach this. Okay?"

Rolling her eyes she scowled a little. "Okay...So, what should we do? And I like only meant to cut my finger. Not my tummy or anything!"

"I've seen your father's healing at work, so I have a fair idea..." But he was relieved she wasn't completely insane. "I think we should schedule a time for some tests - get some concrete numbers on the rapidity and extent of your regeneration."

"I must admit the possibilities are fascinating." He had a thought. "Have you spoken to your father at all about this?"

Laura sighed. "Well...Not really. He'll just probably say no or something, but I do really want to do this. I saw on TV about how not enough people give blood or body bits - like, then I read on the internet about how sometimes a person only needs a little bit of liver. Like, what if my liver can grow back if you take a chunk out? I could seriously help really sick people."

"Yes, you could," he softened. "And while I commend you, I think we need to approach this cautiously, and carefully. If our research extends into practical testing, however, I believe even though you are of legal age, it would be best for you to speak to your parents... they would like to know, I'm sure."

"I know, I just like, want to know from a Doc that it'll be okay to see if I could before I test otherwise Dad'll just say no for sure and Mom'll just get all weird."

"All right, Laura, I think that's reasonable. Why don't we schedule some labs for later this week, and then we can work on a plan for our little project."

Her face broke into a grin. "Really? You think it's okay? I promise I won't jump out of the windows unless you say I can!"

"In that case, I think it's certainly okay." He blinked. "And, Laura, I do think you have a good theory here. We'll work on it together, all right?"

Nodding she grinned wider. "Thanks! Like, you can keep the book but I said Scott could look at it as I said to him about it, so if I forget could you say you have it and I say it's okay?"

"It's real nice to be taken seriously about this, thank you!" she beamed and skipped up to go give Dr McCoy a big hug. "I totally owe you twinkies!"

"Ah, my dear, if this works, the world may owe you Twinkies!" He returned the hug, patting her back. He'd have to have a chat with Scott though, if he knew about this.

Stepping back she clasped her hands behind her back. "So like, when do we start? Tomorrow? Or like, the day after?"

"I think we can schedule some time after class tommorrow, if that works for you. No jumping out of windows until then." He winked.

"Alrghty! And don't worry, I won't!"

[Edited on 1-8-2007 by Slarti]