10/27 Instance: Cocoa and Kisses

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Timeline: After "Christmas Cheer"

There was one thing in particular about this ice rink that Josh liked, and that was its broad glass dome roof. Open to the sky, sunlight streamed in during the daylight hours, and at night you could skate through the constellations. The air was starkly chill, but bundled in his scarf and jacket, Josh was enjoying the crisp air.

He laced his skates and ventured out onto the ice, taking tentative babysteps, getting a feel for the smooth, polished with a shine ice. After testing his balance for a moment, he slowly circled back towards the edge and flashed Rachel a bright grin. "I gotta be honest with you, Red," he admitted, "I haven't skated in quite a while."

Rachel shook the bangs out of her face as she focused on lacing the skates up. She hadn't done anything for her birthday in years. She also had never been ice skating before, so this should be intresting and quite possibly amusing for Josh. She pulled her hood up and eyed the ice as she hesitantly stepped onto the ice.

She glanced at him and smiled, "Yeah, well, at least you can somewhat skate, unlike me."

"Here," he said, gliding over to her, "keep your hand on the wall in the beginning - it'll help you keep balance. I'll spot you, grab me if you think you're slipping. Don't worry about cutting off my circulation or anything," he added with a wink. "We'll just go around the rink by the wall first, ok?"

"Okay," Rachel put a hand against the wall to keep her balance and started to slowly make her way around the rink. "I'm probably going to fall on my ass at some point..."

"If you fall, I'll catch you," Josh reassured her, and grinned as he sang, "I'll be waiting, time after time." He glided near enough to Rachel so she could hold onto him if she needed, but not so close that he was in her face. Skating easily like this jogged his memory, and he was gradually becoming comfortable again on the ice.

"You'd better," she smirked as she grabbed his arm to regain her balance, trying not to squeeze too hard.

Josh bit back a chuckle, but couldn't resist smiling as he tried to remain still so she could steady herself. "You're doing great," he said as the rounded the half-way point. "Want to try moving away from the wall a little?"

"Umm...sure," Wow. This was sad. Little kids could skate better than her. Rachel moved away from the wall, "It's been forever since I did anything for my birthday...thanks."

"Well, 20 is a landmark. You've been alive for two decades. That's long enough to experience peace and war, pop and hip-hop, tamagatchis and the iphone... It calls for a celebration." He watched her skating, observing her footing improve. "Looks like you're getting the hang of it."

Rachel snickered, "Yeah, kinda, I guess. I'm amazed I've made it to 20 with all the stupid stuff I've done." Her gaze flicked to him, "So, what are you doing over break?"

"Well I, for one, am glad you did," he offered with a small smile, and lightly patted her hooded head. At her query he took a breath and folded his arms behind his head. "Ah, winter plans. I don't have much in that department. I guess I'll look for whatever fun turns up. Still want to go skiing - and usher in the New Year of course. But I'm not leaving the U." The corners of his mouth grew tight.

"Wish I was staying at school. I have to go home for a few days," she tried to duck his hand and slipped, grabbing his arm again. If she was falling, then so was he.

"And I bet your folks are fun fun fun." Josh struggled to keep himself up right as she lost balance. He reached out and wrapped an arm around her waist, but his own lack of practice worked against them, and they dropped to the ice with an "oomph." Josh quickly extracted his arm from around her and sat up. "Oy! You okay?"

"Yeah," Rachel looked up at him from her spot on the ice, slightly disappointed he moved, "Are you?"

"I think I broke my nose," he said, rubbing said spot in emphasis. He shot her his best innocent-little-me-glance. "You just ain't light, girl," he teased, standing and offering his hand.

She took his hand and got up, "Oh really?" She raised an eyebrow, smirking as he rubbed his nose, "Guess that means no more skating."

"Don't push your luck," he smirked. He grabbed her hands and pulled her forward, not too quickly as to make her fall, but let her find her balance first. He started skating hand in hand with towards the center of the rink. "You gotta pass the test before you can be rewarded with hot cocoa and your feet free of heavy skates."

"Darn. Wait, what test?"

"The one where you skate all by yourself." And with that, he released her hands.

Oh shit. Okay, she'd be fine. She just had to keep her balance, "Uh, Josh, slight problem. I don't know how to stop."

Oops... "Um, don't worry about it. Just glide with your feet together, and turn your toes inward. Oh, and bend your knees!" he called as she floundered along. Pushing himself forward, he veered after her just in case.

Rachel did as he said, wondering if it would just be easier to run into the wall. "So, do I pass?" she asked once he'd caught up, coming to a halt.

Josh had to admit, he was impressed. "Absolutely, though, you know, I was kind of hoping you'd fall. I wanted another chance to sweep you off your feet." He took her hand again. "Ready to call it a day? I'd say your first skating lesson was a success."

"Don't need to fall for you to do that," she gave him a smile, "Yes. So, hot chocolate..."

"Sounds good," he said, taking the lead towards the edge of the rink. He kicked off his boots and undid his scarf, feeling a bit too warm with it on after the exercise. "There's a cafe over there where we can get cocoa and croissants or something," he said, gingerly slinging an arm around her shoulders.

Rachel gladly took the skates off. She was happy to be on ground where she couldn't slip and fall...well, couldn't slip and fall as easily.

"Yeah, that sounds cool," she grinned, leaning into him.

He gave her a light squeeze and steered them towards the cafe. Once they had steaming cups of cocoa in front of them (Josh also ordered an egg salad sandwich), he asked, "So how's it feel to be twenty?"

She took a sip of the cocoa, "The same as it felt to be 19?"

"I guess twenty is a pretty boring age. Still too young to drink legally. Not that that stops us from drinking. Already been old enough to vote for two years. You could drink twenty shots of tequila, but it might be against your better judgment," he remarked.

"That's what I have a fake ID for," she smirked, "I could..."

He sniggered at that. Then fell into an awkward pause. To fight the silence, he took a bite out of his sandwich. After a minute spent chewing and swallowing, he still couldn't bring himself to say what he wanted. "So..."

"So?" Rachel watched him, taking another sip of her drink.

He reached back and rubbed the back of his neck. "This... was fun," he stated. "For me, at least. I mean... it might not have been so much fun spending so much time on your butt. Thouh I hope you had fun. 'Cause I did." He was rambling and he knew it. Heat filled his gold-skinned face and he pursed his lips. Enough stalling.

"Listen, Rae... this... thing, between us." One finger tapped nervously on his plate. "I dunno about you, but, I think I like it. So I wanted to ask you... like, to be official." His eyes flickered up to meet hers. "Would ya want to go out with me?"

"No, it was still fun. Hanging out with you always is," Rachel grinned as she stared at her cup. She was pretty sure her face was turning red. "I think I'd like that, so yeah..."

He felt a little less embarrassed when he saw her face color up - quite prettily, too. "Oh," he replied, slightly stunned by her answer, though why he was he couldn't imagine. "Okay, that's good."

He sipped his cocoa, eyes darting back and forth. Finally he glanced at her again. "Oh, heck." The cup went down, and Josh leaned across the table and pressed his lips against hers.

Rachel was slightly stunned for a moment, but kissed back, mentally cursing the fact that the table was in the way.

Josh disliked the table too. Very much in fact. He broke off the kiss with a frown and scooted his chair closer to hers. There. Much better. His hands reached for her face as he observed her stoically. Then he suddenly smiled. "You're good at that," he said. "But I bet take two would be even better."

"So I've been told," she smirked and wrapped her arms around him, kissing him this time.

Ahh, see... that is even better, Josh thought, before he wasn't thinking any more.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

D'Awwwwwww :D
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

D'awwwwwwww!!! :D :D
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Awwww!!!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

Awwwwwwww!
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

You guys are so profound. ;)
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young