12/5 Instance: Cow Tracks.

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

12/5 Instance: Cow Tracks.

Post by littlebamf »

Timelined: Before Laissez Bon Temps Roulez

Josh: Josh tapped his hand idly on the subway car window, whistling some tune he couldn't quite place but had been stuck in his head all day. He looked at his watch. "Our stop should be next," he said to Rachel.

Rachel: "Cool," Rachel leaned against him as she glanced up at him. She was so glad she'd taken a shower. She wasn't sure he'd be as cool about it as Jill and Cess were.

Josh: "I've heard good stuff about this movie. It's about the son of two musicians who didn't know he was still alive, or something, and he becomes this famous musician while he's still a child, and they all try to find each other..." Or something like that. He hadn't really read the synopsis, some dude online had just recommended it as "one of the few movies currently out worth seeing."

Rachel: "Sounds good. Horror and such is more my thing though," she grinned.

Josh: He chuckled and squeezed her with his arm, which was draped around her shoulders. "I know, I hope you enjoy this though. We don't go to the movies very often, I thought it'd be a nice change."

Rachel: "Well..." Rachel trailed off for a moment, trying to remember what she was going to say, "If I don't like it, at least I get to spend time with you."

Josh: "Yeah, that's always a plus, right?" He looked at her out of the corner of his eye, observing her and hoping she wouldn't noticed. "... Are you tired? Sleep badly last night?"

Rachel: "Of course. Then, there's candy and ice cream afterwards which makes it even better. Yeah, I'm fine. Sleep okay, I guess," she shrugged as their stop came up, "Why?"

Josh: "Candy, ice cream, and... you still need that hair dye?" He shrugged. "No reason, just thought you seemed a little quiet during the ride."

Rachel: "Yeah, almost forgot. I can get that after the movies and stuff. So, I talk a lot?" Rachel smirked.

Josh: "You're always running your mouth," Josh teased with a grin. "Nonstop. I can barely keep up. Just kidding." He entwined their hands as the train rattled to a stop. "Time to get off."

Rachel: "Oh, but it's one of my best qualities," she grinned back, giving him hand a squeeze as they got off the train.

Josh: "It certainly makes you skilled at pillow talk," Josh smirked at her, taking care to "mind the gap" as he hopped off the train. "Oh, so, did you get to talk to Sean?" he asked as they maneuvered through the throngs of people up the stairs and out into the city.

Rachel: Rachel pushed some bangs behind her ear, rolling her eyes, "Yeah 'cause I'm so coherent then. I did talk to him. Was looking for you earlier, and apparently you're roomies..."

Josh: "Moreso than me," he replied. "Yeah, I heard. Gonna be weird not having the room to myself all of a sudden, but he seems like a cool dude. He said he had something to ask you."

Rachel: "Damn. You won't have your own room anymore. That sucks." She nodded, "Yeah, he asked me to be the bassist in his new band..."

Josh: "Sucks for us, yeah." He hadn't thought about that. They'd have to search out a new place to be alone together. "Did you accept?"

Rachel: "Yeah, I did. I dunno though...not sure if I want to be all famous and shit. Like, I'm scared I won't be able to deal with everything that comes with it, y'know?"

Josh: Josh nodded. "That makes sense. Well, you don't know it's going to get anywhere. But if it's what you want to do, I guess there's no use in letting a little fear get in the way, right?" He smiled as they crossed the street. "Just make sure I get free admission to your first gig."

Rachel: "Yeah, it is. Can't really see myself doing anything else with my life. I'm also freaking out about the whole stage fright thing."

Rachel: "Oh, I'll make sure of it. Backstage and everything," she grinned. "So, how much further do we have to walk?"

Josh: "Hey, you'll be great. I know it. And we're here." He looked up at the cineplex and led her inside, where it was warm. "I Fandango'd the tickets. Lemme print them out."

Rachel: "Thanks," she smiled. "Awesome." Okay, he hadn't noticed yet, which was good.

Josh: "Y'wanna go get in line for candy and popcorn? I'll join you in a sec."

Rachel: "Sure. Anything specific as far as candy goes? Otherwise, it'll all be chocolate..."

Josh: "Chocolate is good. Orde me a large coke, too. I'll come over to help you carry stuff. Here." He handed her a twenty dollar bill. "My treat, to celebrate your new job."

Rachel: "Thanks," Rachel gave him a quick peck on the cheek before making her way through the crowd to the line for snacks, considering what she wanted before she got up to order.

Josh: Josh watched her stroll over to the snack bar as he waited in line for the tickets. He frowned as he swiped his credit card through the machine. Obtaining the tickets, he met Rachel by the snacks and put an arm around her waist. "Be honest with me. You feeling okay?"

Rachel: She ordered the snacks and waited for Josh, grinning when she felt him wrap an arm around her, "Yeah, I'm fine. Do I really seem out of it?"

Josh: "I don't know. I'm probably overthinking. Your eyes do look a little red, though." He almost said more, but didn't want to fight. Especially if he was wrong. Instead he kissed the back of her head and, as the clerk brought their snacks, gathered up his drink and candy.

Rachel: "...I'm fine, really." Shit! She hadn't thought about the eyes thing. Rachel grabbed her stuff and walked to the person that takes the tickets, then in the direction they were pointed to.

Josh: "Rae," Josh hurried to keep up with her, balancing his soda in one arm. "Come on, now I can't believe that." She'd paused before answering. Pauses were bad. "Just tell me what's going on."

Rachel: "Where do you want to sit?" Rachel repressed a sigh. She felt kinda bad for not telling him, like something was tearing up her insides. What was that feeling again? Ah, right...guilt.

Josh: "Rachel." Josh scowled at her in the dim light of the theater. "Dancing around the issue isn't going to make it go away. Why won't you tell me?"

Rachel: "Because I'm pretty sure you won't like it, and you'll freak out about it. And, I'm trying to not ruin tonight. Need anymore reasons?"

Josh: Josh's jaw worked at that. "Fine," he snapped icily. He slid into a seat and dropped his drink into the cupholder, then stoicly faced the ads blinking across the screen.

Rachel: Rachel let out the sigh and dropped into the seat next to him, resting her elbow on the arm rest as she pinched the bridge of her nose, "Josh..."

Josh: He turned his head just enough to see her and raised an eyebrow. "Rachel."

Rachel: "I guess, I'll tell if you promise you won't make a big deal out of it..."

Josh: He relaxed a little as the thought occurred to him that, since he'd last seen her, it wasn't like she could have gotten into any trouble or had any repeats of last Christmas. He was probably anxious for nothing. But he was concerned for her, and he was hurt that she didn't want to confide in him...

Josh: Yet he probably shouldn't have pushed. Too late to back off now. "If it's not worth making a big deal about, then I won't," he mumbled, staring blanking at the back of the chair in front of him.

Rachel: "I'm stoned," she admitted. Rachel slid down in her seat a bit, trying to get comfortable, and propped her feet on the chair in front of her.

Josh: Josh let that sink in for a minute. "Oh," he said at least. "I thought you didn't do that anymore."

Rachel: She shrugged, "I don't really. Sean offered it earlier..."

Josh: "I see." He wasn't sure what to say to that and squirmed uncomfortably. "I just... do you really think it's a good idea to screw with that stuff again?" After all the stories she'd told him... wasn't it right he'd worry?

Rachel: "No, it's not. Worst part is I know I shouldn't have had it. I'm fine...just slow," Rachel watched him for a moment.

Josh: OK. Well, he'd be a hypocrite to fault her for doing something she knew she shouldn't. She knew all about his stash of booze, but she didn't know how often he had to refill it. We've all got our secrets, Josh thought, letting out an audible sigh.

Josh: He reached over and massaged her shoulder, then running his hand down her arm and taking her hand in her lap. "All right. Sorry. I wish you hadn't, but - you can do whatever the heck you want. And I guess if you were just hanging with Sean... it's not like a big thing." He risked glancing at her and tried to smile.

Rachel: She laid her head on his shoulder, running her fingers over his knuckles, "I dunno. I think I'd rather you stop from doing it," she grinned.

Josh: Josh took a breath and laughed. "Yeah..." He shook his head then. "All right, then. I'll do that." As he spoke he reached his arms as best he could over the seats and startled to tickle her.

Rachel: Rachel squirmed, trying not to make any noise, "Josh. Need I remind you that we're in a movie theatre where it tend to be quiet?"

Josh: "You see any movie playing yet?" The screen was still flashing ads for used car companies and trivia about various celebrities. "It's not crowded either. There's like, four other people here. You're just trying to escape my wrath."

Rachel: "No, it's not. And what if I am?" she poked her tongue out at him and grabbed some popcorn, tossing it.

Josh: Josh caught the popcorn in his mouth and chewed it quickly. "This again? Why don't we forget the popcorn war and skip right to the making out?"

Rachel: "Well, I'd throw the candy at you, but it'd be a waste of chocolate. So, you were plotting. Just dragged to a movie, so we could make out? Lovely."

Josh: "It's a good movie," Josh protested. "The making out is only an alternative if it gets boring..."

Rachel: "Well, there's no monsters, serial killers, blood, guts...shouldn't take long for me to get bored," she smirked.

Josh: The room suddenly went dark, and an annoying voice came out of nowhere reminding the viewers where the exits were and to keep their cell phones on vibrate. Then began a series of previews... five minutes... ten minutes... how much longer could they last!?

Josh: "I'm starting to get bored," Josh whispered, leaning towards Rachel, tracing light circles on her arm.

Rachel: "That's nice," Rachel shrugged, glancing between him and the screen.

Josh: Josh shrugged and leaned the other way. Well, I guess 101 Dalmations, the 200th sequel, would have to be more interesting than me.

Rachel: She leaned back in her seat, grinning. This could be amusing. <Not really,> she sent to him.

Josh: Josh almost jumped out of his seat in surprise. As it was, he gave a little yelp (which amused a group of junior high boys in the audience, since he'd yelped during a commercial for a new Barbie movie), and whirled around in his seat to look at her wide-eyed. Wh... wh... <did you just...?>

Rachel: Rachel was just as amused as the guys sitting near them, <Of course not...> She gave him an innocent look.

Josh: He scrunched up his lips and pouted. <That's not fair, catching me out of the blue like that. We're not all as adept at picking people's minds as you, babe.>

Rachel: <Neither was tickling me,> she pointed out, sipping at her soda.

Josh: <You started it,> he countered.

Rachel: <No, I didn't.>

Josh: <Yes you did.>

Rachel: <How?>

Josh: <By being so damn sexy.>

Rachel: <I'd say I try, but I don't. Your movie's finally coming on, by the way.>

Josh: <Is it? I was too distracted by your sexiness to notice.>

Rachel: She rolled her eyes and nodded towards the screen, "Just watch your movie, you can stare at me later."

Josh: He grinned and finally turned back to the screen, popping an M&M in his mouth.

Josh: By the time the credits were rolling, Josh's mood had mellowed out. It was a good film, though he hadn't been able to really focus on it. He stood as the lights came back on and brushed popcorn from the seat of his pants. "So... like it?'

Rachel: Rachel blinked at Josh's voice. Oh yeah, movie. Rubbing at her eyes, she stood up, "It was okay."

Josh: "Just ok? Aww." Awkwardly he slipped into the aisle and waited for her, wondering what kind of turf he was treading on now. After he'd bullied the truth out of her, they'd flirted and stuff, but she'd just had a while to brood (like heck she was watching the movie) and he was prepared for any kind of fire or waterworks.

Rachel: "Yeah, just okay. Did you like it?" She followed him to the aisle and grabbed his hand. Rachel had given up on keeping track of what was going on at some point and decided a nap was more favorable.

Josh: "Hah, I gotta admit it wasn't really my thing. A few bits were interesting though. Did you know you snore?"

Rachel: "I do? Well, I'm not in trouble for sleeping through it then since you didn't really like it?"

Josh: "Well, you would be in trouble if the sight of you snoring and drooling on your jacket hadn't amused me so much."

Rachel: "Nice to know I don't have to be awake to amuse you. I'll keep that in mind. So, ice cream?"

Josh: "Now it comes out - the real reason you submitted to the idea of going to a non-horror movie." He was smiling though, and pointed down the street. "To the left, that's Dad's Best Ice Cream. If it doesn't knock your socks off, you get a refund date."

Rachel: "Of course. I got a nap and am getting ice cream. Doesn't get much better than that," she grinned.

Josh: "Why, Annie, how you abuse me! Here I spend good money on a movie and all you can think about is birthday cake ice cream, and phish food and rocky road and creamsicle and sorbet..."

Rachel: "Ugh, I thought of another reason to hate that name. It reminds me of Annie and how she throws condoms at us," she shuddered. "And yeah, I'm hungry. You ate all the snacks while I slept."

Josh: Annie throws condoms? "Abundant and free? Why would that bother you?" he teased. "I didn't eat all the snacks. See?" He produced a single yellow M&M from his pocket.

Rachel: "Yes, she does! Pfft...I haven't needed them until now." She looked at the M&M for a moment, debating how safe it was to eat. She took it from him and popped it in her mouth with a shrug.

Josh: He blinked at her, then shook his head. "Brave woman." He wasn't going to tell her what lurked in the depths of his pant pockets (aside from lint, lint, and more lint.)

Josh: He held the door to Dad's Best Ice Cream open for her. It jangled as it swung. "Not too crowded, nice." It was a small, cheery-looking place with murals of grazing cows on the walls.

Rachel: Rachel slipped past him, "Well, I wasn't going to let it go to waste. What are you getting?"

Josh: "Cow tracks," he smirked at her. "None of your 'moose tracks' nonsense here."

Rachel: "You don't know what you're missing out on."

Josh: "Pfft. Wait till you see this thin. Then you'll see." He stepped up to the counter and said to pig-tailed cashier, "One cow tracks, and..." He look expectantly at Rachel.

Rachel: "Uh...same, I guess..."

Josh: "These things are monsters," Josh told her as they waited. A few minutes passed, and the cashier handed them two 5x5 styrafoam boxes. Inside was mint chocolate chip ice creamed smothered in whipped cream with little chocolate cows "grazing". "God! Pure heaven," Josh exclaimed as he took a bite.

Rachel: Rachel observed it for a moment and took a bite, "It's good," she agreed.

Josh: "Want to sit? Or go look for your hair color?" Josh asked.

Rachel: "Sit. We can get it later, and I don't neccessarily need it," she grinned. "So, think you can deal without the red for awhile?"

Josh: He looked at her with a mischievous glint in his eye. "Actually, I'm looking forward to it. It'll be like dating a whole new woman."

Rachel: "You really think it'll make that big of a difference?" she snickered.

Josh: He shook his head. "Not in any sense except that, depending on what color you choose, your hair and my skin might not clash so badly."

Rachel: "I'm definently getting black, so that won't clash. I dunno what else. You suggested blue," she took a bite of the ice cream.

Josh: "It would look cute." He shrugged. "Whatever you like. Your hair would look pretty to me if you wore it in a beehive."

Rachel: "Yeah, not happening."

Josh: "Good to know. What do you think of a three-colored mohawk?"

Rachel: "For you?" Rachel raised an eyebrow.

Josh: "For me, anything, right?" Josh finished with a smirk.

Rachel: "...Maybe?"

Josh: "Ha! Well, maybe we'll work up to it." He wiggled his brow and dug into his ice cream. He was already almost finised. "Most decadent treat ever."

Rachel: "Maybe," she grinned, "I still like moose tracks better."

Josh: He held up his hands in mock surrender. "Truce?"

Rachel: "Truce? What're the fun in those?"

Josh: "Ok, you have a point, but until I can taste these alleged 'moose tracks,' we really can't be sure, can we?"

Rachel: "True. There should be some at school unless someone ate it, which is likely."

Josh: "Really? Then I'm glad I still have room for more," Josh said as he swallowed his last bite of ice cream.

Rachel: Rachel looked at the rest of her ice cream, "Want the rest of mine?"

Josh: "Sure," Josh the bottomless pit responded a bit too eagerly, quickly reaching out for the remainder of Rachel's cow tracks.

Rachel: She held it just out of his reach, "You sure?"

Josh: Josh pouted. "You tease." He stretched himself over the table and made to snatch the box.

Rachel: "I figured you already knew that," she held the box a bit further away from him.

Rachel: "You'll have to come to get it."

Josh: He groaned. "You're going to make me work for it!? I paid for the movies," he whined, even as he slid around the booth until he was on the other side, nose-to-nose with her.

Rachel: "Of course," she wrapped an arm around him, keeping the ice cream in her other hand.

Josh: "You," Josh said, brushing his lips deliberately against her neck as he reached around her, "are definitely evil."

Rachel: "Oh, I know. Also, know that you're trying to be distracting..."

Josh: "Not a bit, lover," Josh objected as he surreptitiously trailed kisses along her jaw. One the cashiers was eyeing them as she counted change.

Rachel: "You couldn't do this earlier when I was almost bored to death by that movie?" Rachel caught his lips with hers, not really caring about the girl watching. Kissing wasn't as bad as some of the things she'd done in public before.

Josh: "You were sleeping. I didn't want to disturb you. I was being friggin' respectful," he smiled as he kissed her, and managed to snatch the ice cream. "Ha!"

Rachel: "It wouldn't of been disturbing," she gave up the ice cream and sat back in the booth, watching him.

Josh: "Well, I'll know that for next time. Who knows, maybe I'll disturb you sometime tonight." He took a bite of the ice cream and kissed her with mint chocolate-chip lips.

Rachel: Rachel ran her tongue over his lips, running her fingers through his hair despite her mind telling her this was really not the place. "Sounds like fun."

Josh: The cashier was definitely glaring daggers at them now. Josh gave her an awkward wave. "Right... fun as this is, I think we should get going, yeah?"

Rachel: "Aww. I was just starting to have fun messing with the woman, but yeah. There's always ice cream at school," she shot him a wicked grin as she slid out of the booth.

Josh: He took her hand as they sauntered out of the shop. "So. Where do you usually go to get funky-colored hair dyes?”

Rachel: "The grocery store, shampoo aisle specifically. Let's go get it, go back to school, and I'll dye it. Then, we can do whatever."

Josh: "As long as 'whatever' is disruptive to your sleep... it works for me." Josh smirked.