01/27 Instance: Music for the Heart.

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

01/27 Instance: Music for the Heart.

Post by littlebamf »

timeline sometime after Surprise

Ben sat at the piano plinking away at the keys. He was trying to find the right note, and it was difficult as hell. He hated, absolutely hated trying to figure out songs for piano. It was ten times harder than the banjo.

Rachel gave a small frown at someone being in the music room. She'd wanted to sing, but person. Well, it was Ben, but still. She didn't sing in front of people often and didn't really want to.

Ben turned around as he heard someone enter the room. It was Rachel. "Oh thank God you're here!" He spun the stool around and faced her. "I need help with a song I'm trying to write, I need help. Feedback."

"Oh?" she raised an eyebrow. Having the ring back in it felt a bit weird. She'd decided to keep the one out of her lip since she'd bitten a few times waking up from nightmares.

"I can try to help, I guess..."

"Sweet." Ben spun the stool back around. "I'm writing it on piano but I'm gonna do the next part on my uh...other insturment." Ben cracked his knuckles. "I'm not the best singer." He started to play.

"Out my life, out the door. In comes my friends, their love they pour. Don't worry it's not over, the world is never over."

"That's it so far."

"Well, it's good," she gave him a grin. "Not much to work with though..."

"Right...well that's where you come in. Where should it go from there?"

"Ummm...I dunno..." she gave a shrug, pulling a stool over before going to grab her bass. "Anything else you have that I can work with?"

Ben stood up and walked over to his black case. "Well I already wrote the part for my uh..." he figured it didn't matter and he undid the latches and opened the case.

"This..." Ben said... "Is my banjo."

"Okay, cool. So lets hear it then?" Rachel made a face as she picked a string. Her bass was so out of tune.

Ben started to play and hummed along with it. When he was done he looked up at her. "Is that to fast?"

"Yeah. Slow it down some," she frowned at the strings as she worked on getting them to sound decent.

"Okay..." Ben stopped. "I'm sorry I've been so into my music... you okay? How've you been lately?

"I'm alive. Not getting a lot of sleep..." she plucked the strings again. Much better.

"It's hard to get sleep after... bad stuff..." Ben didn't know how to see. "Talk to me." Ben said. "Tell me what you're thinking about at night."

"Nightmares. I'm sick of waking up, waking Josh up. I don't sleep, neither of us get them," she shrugged, staring at the guitar.

"Try me." Ben said. "The more you talk them out the more they make sense...usually."

Rachel ran a hand through her hair, "Electrochock, changing, him...just what happened. I give them to Josh sometimes. It's annoying."

"Sounds pretty fucked up." Ben thought about it. "I think you're just having a case of post-traumatic disorder. Your mind is reliving the event."

"Probably. I don't know." She sighed, deciding to run through a few scales before attempting anything. "I'm just grumpy. Didn't sleep, had a shitty phone call, plus everything..."

"Hey look on the bright side." Ben said. "You're in a room with Benjamin Reilly writing music and you're all freaky colored anymore. And most importantly you're safe and home with friends."

"As for the phone call... what kind? Like... I'm not saving all sorts of money on my car insurane bad news phone call?"

"The kind from my family..."

"Ouch." Ben said. "I know that one. Everytime Mom calls I'm afraid Cletus is after her again. So what was up?" Ben stopped hismelf

"Or am I not supposed to be asking?"

"No, you can. It's fine."

She glanced up at the word mom. Yeah, she was glad her mother didn't call. "My dad called. I had to tell him, and it was just peachy."

"About what happened... getting captured by that psycho?" Ben inquired

"Yeah. He didn't take it very well. Didn't really expect him to," she gave a shrug.

"Isn't that ...good? When a father is concerned about his daughter."

"Not when he decides he's going to come for a fucking visit..." Rachel tried to keep the annoyed tone out of her voice. "Sorry. Not you. Just have issues with my family."

"So he's coming?" Ben asked.

"Apparently. He said he was...even though I told him not to..."

"Well...just give him the wrong address." Ben smiled

Rachel shook her head, a small smile tugging on her lips, "I just...I try to avoid family stuff. Always end up arguing..."

"Isn't that every family?" Ben asked. "You know what, I'm getting obnoxious with this." He put the banjo down. "Why don't you ask me some personal questions for once?"

She ignored the question. "Umm...I dunno..." Rachel thought for a moment, a smirk finding it's way onto her face, "...So, you kissed Rogue?"

Ben blushed. "Yeah." He smiled and laughed, "it was through some silk scarf. Pretty awesome actually. I'm trying to think of a way I can work my abilities but I don't want to get her lips sticky and I don't think it would work anyways." He frowned. "I can touch her when she's liquored up, but I'm an alcoholic, it's a complete conundrum."

"Well, get her drunk then?" She ran a hand through her hair, "Okay. That was bad advice. Don't listen to me."

"Well, the thing is... we haven't gotten all that physical so it's weird to discuss that bit with her. But I'm afraid of the day it happens and she wants to get drunk and touch a cheek...or something...it's an alcoholic thing...it sucks."

"Yeah, it does suck. I'm sure you'll figure something out though. I'm sure it was a better first kiss than mine and Josh's."

"What'd you guys do, get locked in a freezer?"

Rachel coughed, "Well...that's...one way of putting it..."

"Bobby's room?" Ben cracked.

"Against Bobby's dresser, specifically..."

"What's wrong with that?" Ben thought. "Were you caught?"

"Um...no. I guess it wasn't as bad as sex in Alex's bathroom with Vic..." Oh fuck. She said that aloud, didn't she?

"Wow." Ben said. "Image... burning....burning I tells ya!"

"You know what? I'm not talking anymore," Rachel could feel her face and ears burning.

"Hey," Ben said. "Don't worry, it's just the image of..." Ben tweaked his head a little. "The Vic part..." He looked up at her. "God I hope Rogue and I get stuck in a bathroom sometime..." Maybe he shouldn't have said THAT outloud.

"Yeah, well...yeah..." Rachel snickered and quirked an eyebrow, "Okay. Talking about you and Rogue is safe as long as I don't let anything about Josh and I slip besides that I'm sure Remy would lock you in a closet with her, like he did to us."

"I doubt that." Ben grumbled. "I like Remy, but I doubt he'd be up for throwing me and his ex in a closet."

"I dunno. Remy's pretty cool and now he's even more fun to laugh at since he's bald," she grinned.

"What's up with that?" Ben asked. "I'm assuming it's ... related to the events of recent?"

"Yeah, brain surgery. Anyway, back to you and Rogue. Have you asked her out?" Remy was a topic that should be avoided at the moment.

"No..." Ben said. "I don't know...asking out seems so... high school..." He smiled. "I wrote a song instead."

"So, that's why you need my help?"

"Nope." Ben said. "I wrote it already. This song is about someone leaving you. Actually it sort of came to me back when we were in the library."

She nodded. "Ahh, okay. And asking someone out isn't that bad...unless you get rejected." She added, "Not that you would."

"I wouldn't?" He asked. "And how in sam hell do you know this?"

"Pffft. Are you doubting me?" she smirked. "Actually, I don't. I was just trying to make you feel better."

"Well I did...until you said THAT." Ben smirked

"Josh asked me out on my birthday," Her grin faded slightly, and she went back to staring at the guitar, "I miss him. I don't even know how. We live in the same damn house and see each other everyday."

"Then go for it." Ben said. "Go back to him, because the longer your apart the more it'll eat you up. If the two of you want eachother so much, and don't tell me he doesn't feel the same way I can see it, he does, just GO for it."

Ben sat back down at the piano and cracked his knuckles. "Wanna turn this into a song about Josh?" he asked. "I'll give you full credit."

"I can't," she shook her head, "We have stuff to work out...and I can't even remember all of it."

"Sure, if you want," she shrugged," And, I don't need credit."

Ben cracked his knuckles and began to play again. "I like that as a name by the way. I Can't Go Back."

"Okay, well...lets see what we can do. I haven't played anything for a while so should be fun."

Ben began to play and closed his eyes. He would ask her the next time he saw her...maybe.