Post by wingyding » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:42 am

Name: Sage
Given name: Tessa Nikolic
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 187 lbs.
Skin: light tan
Eyes: blue
Hair: deep brown
Powers: telepathy, perfect (eidetic) memory, ability to sense mutant latency in others and bring it to fruition.

Tessa grew up in the Balkan Islands as part of a gypsy family, her blue eyes only emphasizing what she wasn't: part of the family. Never treated as an outcast, though, she came into her own as an established member of the group, until she received a letter from a school she'd never heard of.
And life at Xavier's started.

If it's too short I'll add some.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Tessa Nikolic

Post by steyn » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:49 am

pfft, I'm pretty sure there were shorter bios before yours. Like Slarti's Namor once mentioned, keeping it short then you can do more stories later on to bring more of her background into view.

Hmm... does that sentence make sense? I just woke up and that pretty much made sense in my head.

Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Tessa Nikolic

Post by Freak » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Oh my...no living on (and partly off) the streets, no crazy maniac pulling her strings, no weird scientific experiments... :shifty
One could start to think we've got a normal school here :D

And I agree with Steyn: There were shorter ones...and that sentence doesn't make sense...
:freak :andreas They're fighting!

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Tessa Nikolic

Post by wingyding » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:41 pm

Oh, I just haven't posted the weird scientific experiments yet. They come later.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Tessa Nikolic

Post by wingyding » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:12 am

**because it occurred to me that no one could see inside my head to know just what the chain of events I had planned was.

Never Say Never
"Tessa, concentrate. You have to try and keep me out." Iannis ruffled his daughter's hair, making her wrinkle her nose at him.
"Papa, it's hard. I'm never going to keep you out." She pouted.
"Try hard, Tessa, and it will come naturally to you."
"I'm trying, but you're better at this than me..." She batted his hand away from her and set a firm look on her face. "I'm ready." She wouldn't get beat this time; he wouldn't be able to see inside her head.
Iannis chuckled. She was stubborn like her mother...which would serve her well in the years coming. Greece may not be America, but there were hateful people everywhere. And that hate would only be exploited further because she was Roma. Another stick in the wood pile. "Here it comes, Tessa."
He concentrated on the image of her mind, trying to invade it in a mock attack. She had to learn to shield herself if she wanted to stay sane in this world. He found her barriers and pushed at them, exploring around, trying to find a weakness.
Ah, there....have to do better than that, zaharee! He pushed hard against the chink in the barrier, widening it by a fraction, coming closer to the goal he sought. And then...it was as if the whole thing had reversed. Now he was pushing her out. This shouldn't be happening! She should be on the defensive...
Tessa laughed inwardly. Now Papa will lose! He always won at this game, trying to help her build protection around herself.
But something was wrong...Iannis should be cracking her defenses, not her cracking his! Tessa, stop!
No! You want to win again!
She pushed at the block once more with a strength she hadn't expected to have.
Tessa! Te... Tessa felt the connection shatter and the call of her name die away. Ha! I won! There wasn't an answer.
Papa? Still nothing, and the trepidation mounted to the point where Tess stepped to the prone body. She felt the sides of his neck, though to her inexperienced fingers there was no way of telling whether or not he was conclusively dead.
But he was.

Yes, I'm aware that it's short and sloppy. It was written in the span of forty minutes, start to finish. To be expounded upon later.

Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Tessa Nikolic

Post by Starfish » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:31 am

Nah, it's not sloppy. It's very good actually. Very touching and believable. :)

And poor Tessa. :cry
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Tessa Nikolic

Post by wingyding » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:03 am

To your understanding, what is the nature of your mutation?

I can remember everything, and yes, I mean absolutely everything; I can see your mutation gene and tell you what it does and if it's fully developed; and if it's not, I can jumpstart it for you. As far as I know.

How did you come to discover yourself as a mutant? What made it clear?

Oh, it was fairly obvious to me when I started to hear things people weren't saying to me. That and being able to tell that some people were really quite different genetically at first sight is a bit of a shock the first time it happens.

What was the reaction of those close to you, family and friends?

Let's see, my mother and sister don't talk to me and my dad is dead because of it. My brother is pretty much the only one who doesn't really care, and that's stretching to get to that conclusion.

Have you ever met/known other mutants before enrolling in Xavier U?

My dad, and my cousin.

If so, what was the nature of the relationship? Were you aware of their powers?

Well, they're related to me, and yes, I knew of them.

Had you ever met a physically obvious mutant before arriving at Xavier U?

Nope. Can't say it particularly bothered me much, though.

What are your feelings on those with obvious mutations? How do you fit them into the way society regards mutation?

Let's start that one off by saying the way society here regards mutants is really shitty. But, two of my closest friends are fairly obvious. One's entirely silver and the other one can turn big and blue at will. I'd say I like them.

In your opinion, how does society regard mutation?

Didn't I already answer this? It's shitty. They're afraid of us because they don't understand us and they'd rather be afraid than actually accept us for what we are--the next step on a scale bigger than they are.

Is there a difference between mutants who are not visibly different, and those who are?

To me, no. To some people I suppose there would be. We're all different, but it doesn't make it any easier to be that way just because people can't spot you from twelve paces. You still feel alone.

How have others, outside of Xavier U, reacted to your mutation?

Yes, they have. It sucked.

What do you see in the future? How has your role in society changed, if at all, since discovering yourself to be a mutant?

Well, to answer the first, I see things for mutants getting a whole lot worse before they get any better. And to the second, yes, it has. It dropped from bottom-of-barrel to subhuman real quick to a bunch of people.

If you could change your mutation, or do away with it, would you?

Depends on my mood, but an overall answer would be no. I am who I am, and if you don't like it, that's your problem and I suggest you take it up with someone who cares.

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Tessa Nikolic

Post by wingyding » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:01 am

FYI--because it needed to be done.

Tessa has epilepsy, a condition which has its roots in the function of the brain and how the synapses in it fire. Tessa's particular mutation affects the way her brain works, especially the speed at which it processes, and the change from normality when she manifested set the stage for epilepsy with myoclonic absences, resulting in a type f seizure that is not the tonic seizure, more commonly seen in young children, but what is referred to as tonic-clonic, in which the muscles tense, then appear to jerk, and then relax.

During a tonic-clonic seizure, the person is unconscious, and is usually unaware of their surroundings immediately preceding and following a seizure. Cyanosis--the turning blue of the skin around the mouth and nose--may occur. Tessa does take a controlling anticonvulsant--trade name Luminal--to reduce the frequency and severity of these attacks, but she still does break through from time to time, able to be triggered by the fast change between light and dark, and also severe stress.

She can and often does exhibit the warning sign of experiencing a simple or complex partial seizure, though at times it can appear that she does not and goes straight into the tonic-clonic phase. A simple partial seizure is categorized by traits that seem very similar to a migraine headache: Twitching, numbness, sweating, dizziness or nausea; disturbances to hearing, vision, smell or taste; and a strong sense of deja vu. A complex partial seizure is a little different, and characterized by plucking at clothes, smacking lips, swallowing repeatedly or wandering around. The person is not aware of their surroundings or of what they are doing.

There are a few guidelines that she carries on an epilepsy card in her wallet that tell the basic 'things to do' when she goes into a seizure: Remove jewellry, cushion the head, turn the person gently onto their side to aid breathing once the attack has fully subsided. There is also information on what not to do in the case of an unexpected seizure: do not restrain the person, put anything in their mouth or attempt to 'bring them around' In most cases, the attack victim is so deeply unconscious that this would prove futile.

Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Tessa Nikolic

Post by Scumfish » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:27 pm

Nice one on the Epilepsy write up :) Poor Tess :(
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Tessa Nikolic

Post by wingyding » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:58 pm

She's had it for a long time, so she's used to it. I used the web for info and just made it sound all sciency. go me.

Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Tessa Nikolic

Post by Scumfish » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:19 am

lol. Well yeah, you do get used to it after a while but still. It's a real bitch to have >< Good to see the research etc. in it and stuff though, and it sounds good :D
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Tessa Nikolic

Post by wingyding » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:37 pm

Addendum to FYI and info on coma patients.

Right now, Tessa is in a coma. She falls under level I on the Rancho Los Amigos Scale, seemingly in a deep sleep, but as per her mutation also has symptoms of Level IV, though the traits are not visible. She does still retain her higher brain processes, though she is beginning to experience the sensation commonly known as jamais-vu, so named for the feeling of not knowing persons or places which should be familiar to the observer.

She will eventually wake, but will not go through the common shifts of levels displayed with non-mutant patients. On the Glasgow coma Scale, commonly used to classify and asses patients in a coma-like state, she is classified at the moment as severe, having a score of less than eight. She does not move in response to a painful stimulus, and does not open her eyes, but she can make slight noises, though they by no means should be assumed voluntary or comprehensible.

It should not come as a surprise to many that given the nature of both her mutation and the condition of her epilepsy, being non-medicated at the time of the seizure, that upon her waking she will likely not remember anything or -one familiar to her. However, as her mutation will permit her to remember any information told her both when she wakes and while she is still in the coma, she may seem to remember some things that have been said loud enough for her to hear and process, though onlookers will have no way of knowing this.

Glasgow Coma Scale: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Coma_Scale
Rancho Los Amigos Scale: http://www.abihelp.org/NABIS_Informatio ... _Scale.htm

Keep in mind when using these links that the GCS is used to monitor and keep track of changes in non brain-trauma patients, while the RLAS is used primarily to monitor and sasses those patients who have sustained head trauma. It is simply easier to understand the different scales in different situations.

[Edited on 7/1/08 by wingyding]