6/15 Instance: Dropping Shinies and Spy vs. Spy

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

6/15 Instance: Dropping Shinies and Spy vs. Spy

Post by Ferguson »

current timeline

Illyana was sure that that room had always been a bathroom. She was positive. However now it looked like a broom closet. She pouted a bit and kept looking through the halls, trying to find the elusive bathroom. This was worse that that room in that Harry Potter book.

"Marhaba," Jason was standing alone in one of the conference rooms in the top level, talking to several Egyptian gentlemen looking back at him from the screen. After the " he didn't bother with languages anymore, knowing full well that Buckman had never learned the language. "I trust reconstruction is on schedule?" He never thought he'd be inquiring about that considering he was a big part in blowing the complex up in the first place.

Illyana heard voices and headed that way. She paused when she saw who that was and she ducked to listen more without being seen.

"Excellent." Jason approved of the answer he got back, glancing down at what papers he had assembled from what he still had of the required records. "And what of Dr. Essex's research has been recovered?"

The man closest to the screen answered. "We have recovered samples of what the Doctor was working with from his lab, as well as note fragments."

"Samples?" Illyana mouthed to herself. Why was that name familiar? Had she read it in Pietro's notes?

"Well, that will do, considering what has been recovered on this end as well. When might I expect the samples to arrive to my office?" The answer was a bit longer than Jason liked and that showed on his face. He could learn how to be patient however.

Illyana chewed her bottom lip. What were these samples and would he make Pietro deal with them? This didn't sound good at ALL.

Jason, however, was all smiles as he closed his meeting. "Thank you for your cooperation. I'm very glad to be getting our head branch in Africa back in working condition." And very glad he had kept up a disguise when he infiltrated the place not too terribly long ago as he recognized at least half of the men he was instructing.

Illyana took her earring off and set it on the floor: a backup plan just in case she was surprised. She strained her ears to hear even more of what Jason was up to.

"Illyana?" Jason looked down as he was stepping out of the conference room, eyebrow quirked high at the unexpected sight. "Usually this floor is empty this time of day."

"I uh hi Jason... I was looking for the bathroom and then my earring fell." She was so glad that she had placed it just far enough away to look like she was actually looking for the tiny thing. "Can you see it?"

He looked down, glancing about until he found the offending little bit of shine. "Here we are." He gave her a smile, picking the earring up and offering his hand to help her up. "Shall I walk you to the bathroom as well? Just in case?"

Illyana swallowed and took the hand, getting up, then putting her earring in her earlobe. "So... do you go in there to nap then?" She gave a playful, though nervous smile.

"Oh, no, I just prefer to have the conference calls that are just me and none of the staff for this complex up here. It cuts down on interruption possibilities, especially when compared to my office. Plus it's nice and quiet up here, peaceful."

"It is peaceful up here, yes. Though did you pull a prank on me?"

"Pardon?" He looked confused at that.

"I think a bathroom turned into a closet..."

"I think you're probably just not used to this floor. It's a bit of a different layout. I actually considered remodeling it when I was appointed here but decided Shaw's funding gift could be put to better use."

"Maybe that's it." Illyana gave him a friendly smile. "Escourt a lady the right way then?"

"What kind of a gentleman would I be if I didn't?" Jason offered his arm again, wondering if that would make her nervousness flare up again. "In any case, company is a nice diversion from boring meetings and the like."

Illyana took the offered hand. He seemed to be oblivious, so she could play along with that. "A terrible one!"

"Yes, I had to talk to the Egyptian board today...that's always an awkward conversation for me."

"And why is that? I'm sure they find you quite charming."

"I blew the place up." he deadpanned. "Well, not just me, it was an x-man thing. I remember half of them from when I was over there spying."

"Oohhh sneaky sneaky. That was before I came here I guess."

"Yeah, a year or so before you arrived, I believe." He nodded, thinking back to it. "Do you remember the Legacy Virus? I'm not sure the name ever was picked up in Russia."

Illyana thought about it for a moment. "What was it... I may know it by a different name."

"It effected mutants only, deteriorative. The man who owned this company before was partially responsible for it."

"I remember it now." She shuddered mentally at the memories. "What about it?"

"I'm worried about there being leftover materials and the like in Cairo, that's where Dr. Essex developed it for Buckman." Well, it was a half truth, at least.

"So is there a way to destroy it?"

"Well, the materials themselves won't be a problem but will be looking into it, yes." Jason assured her. "More worried about the 'recipe' but from the sounds of what they were telling me it doesn't look like anything made it through completely intact. Plus we all ready have the cure, that's a relief."

Illyana nodded, relaxing a bit. "Still... I'd rather nobody else had to suffer."

He nodded, quite serious. "Yes, Monet had it. When she came to she was quite put out that I hadn't arrived back yet."

"You were registered, yes?"

Illyana's face flushed a bit. "As a human."

"Oh, that's the way to do it. There were needles contaminated with the virus for registration tests, that's how they spread it."

Illyana shuddered, her hand tightening just a bit. "I am glad I missed that then."

"I'm glad you did as well, and glad you made your way through registration without coming into contact."

"The other students were very helpful in getting registered."

"Yes, Xavier's does know how to get people settled in. I can only hope we have such luck over with Nova's school." Jason smiled, finally stopping at the bathroom he had been leading her to.

"I suppose I should wish you luck with that, right? Helping more people..."

"Yeah, I'm going to be teaching children...I need all the luck I can get."

"And so do they." Illyana grinned at him.

"I might eat them." Jason answered with his most serious face. "Well, here is were I leave you. I trust you can find the lab from here?"

"I think so. Thank you for your help.... don't eat too many children."

"Oh don't worry, I have to keep my figure. Good day, Illyana."

Jason bowed his head to her, starting to walk back to the stairs, intending to head down to his office.

"Bye Jason." Illyana did laugh a bit before she went into the bathroom, hoping to collapse.

Jason eased into the stairwell, eyes going suspicious once he was away.

Dropped her earring, a likely story.