Marvel goes Disney!

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Guys, check this out:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/art ... RTUNE5.htm

Small snippet:

The Walt Disney Co. (DIS) said Monday it agreed to buy Marvel Entertainment Inc. (MVL), the creator of Spider-Man, the X-Men and thousands of other characters, for about $4 billion in the company's largest acquisition since it bought Pixar Animation Studios in 2006.

(Um, I'm not sure if this is where the topic should be. If it shouldn't, I beg the moderator to move it to the right place)
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Esynthia »

yeah, I just posted that in my post in the ass thread. I'm going to cry.
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: The Boggy Man

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by stjohn »

yeah, we've been talking about it in chat...
Anyone else wanna join me in saying, "Hello. I'm a DC."
Stjohn: did i walk in on yall doing :shifty?
* Bobby covers Lorna's goodies and whistles innocently.
Lorna: You see nothing!
Stjohn: pay no attention to the couple under the covers?
Lorna: There is no couple, no covers, and, on a different note, no spoon.
Stjohn: I don't believe you. I'm holding a spoon right now.
Lorna: Well damn
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Hey everybody seems so sad about this! Honestly, it's not as bad as you think it is....

Ah, who am I kidding?

:bawl There go my comic book heroes. My only consolation was that Nightie was already going, going.... gone.

My gawd... I just realized that if I end up going to Walt Disney World in Orlando in February like I think I might be doing... I could be confronted by Wolverine or Spiderman instead of Captain Hook and Cinderella!

[optimistic glass half full type] But you know what? This could mean a complete reshuffling of writers and artists. Which could be good or could be incredibly bad, depending on how things go.[/optimistism]

Currently I'm envisioning X-Men turned into cartoon versions of themselves and getting a TV show on Disney channel. :X

[Edited on 8/31/09 by Dedicatedfollower467]
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Esynthia »

ImageImage

stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by stjohn »

I'm just terrified of the cross overs, and all the dropped comic lines that are not considered 'family friendly' in line with Disney's brand name. We will have no more MAX line of comics, which included Punisher, The Hood, and a few other fairly big name mainstays. The X-men will get reduced back to X-men Evolution and be worried about prom dates and the wizards of waverly park instead of their grand story lines we all loved from the comics confronting hard truths like racism and prejudice.

Bad bad move marvel. Too bad they dont listen to readers or they'd realize this was a bad idea.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Esynthia »

Well, we don't know that all of those things will happen for sure. But the thought of even the slight possibility of it makes me very very depressed.

I'm hoping (probably in vain) that Marvel has written into the contract that they can't do shit like that.
ImageImage

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Angelique »

I'll reserve judgment until I see how and if this move affects the quality of my beloved characters.

Who knows? I might find The Suite Life of Kurt and Logan worth watching.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by stjohn »

I've never been a fan of wait and see. Always better to let people know up front that you do or do not like their decision.

Just sad that they didn't inform or give a heads up and ask for feed back.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Angelique wrote:
:LOL let's see.... the Guthrie Brothers! Pixie joins Hannah Montana! Nightcrawler gets a cameo in the next Lilo and Stitch! Lol.

That just brought a smile to my face, Angelique. God forbid it happens, but it was funny all the same.]

(P.S. Better yet, the Summers Brothers. Can you imagine all the angst?)

[Edited on 8/31/09 by Dedicatedfollower467]
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Esynthia wrote:yeah, I just posted that in my post in the ass thread. I'm going to cry.
Oops, sorry, I tried to search if someone else had already posted it, but I'm no good with the search tool.

Angelique, you kill me. Of laughter of course. Same goes to you, Def. The Summers brothers *snorts* I would pay to see that show *is amused*

Hey, I know the news sounds like the end of an era or something, but I don't think it will be that bad. Disney has to be aware of what it's buying and that it can't just change the nature of the comics or the characters, lest it suffers a massive loss of fans (and thus of $$$$$)

Actually, I'm hoping against hope that some X-Men leaks into Disney XD. After Jetix became XD here in Latin America, some shows disappeared, including Wolverine and the X-Men (good thing I bought the whole thing on DVD). Maybe now they can put it back on air.
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Esynthia »

Wolverine and the X-men is shown on nickelodeon and Disney XD shows Evo and X-Men: The Animated Series at various times. XTAS is typically shown in the wee hours of the morning.
ImageImage

stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by stjohn »

They know what they are buying, but they also have their set portfolio and business guidelines, which first and foremost is family friendly entertainment. Which, while I love almost everything marvel, much is NOT family friendly.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Jeremus »

I'm also reserving my judgement.
Disney released 'Princess Mononoke" in the US (I can't remember who owns it) and it had some non-Disney violent things in it. Maybe they'll do the same with the Marvel characters. They'll have to keep the two very separate, otherwise they'll lose too many fans. Surely they've got to know this.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Esynthia »

Well, I was told a few minutes ago that disney owns touchstone pictures. which I had no idea they did... and they put out a lot of r rated stuff. so hopefully it'll be like that.
ImageImage

wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Esynthia wrote:Well, I was told a few minutes ago that disney owns touchstone pictures. which I had no idea they did... and they put out a lot of r rated stuff. so hopefully it'll be like that.
Not only that, Disney actually created this brand specifically to handle the more mature films that couldn't appear under the Walt Disney seal. Disney also bought Miramax. Except for a few problems (in the infamous last years of the Eisner era, Eisner tried to limit the freedom of Miramax projects) Miramax still handles films that no one would relate to Disney, so that should be a good sign... maybe?
~Twitch~

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by steyn »

Look, just as long as they don't screw with marvel stuff, I'll be happy. They bought the franchise because it looked like it was making money. Don't fix that isn't broken. And I swear to Bob, agent of Hydra, that if they don't make the deadpool movie right, I will hunt them down one mouse lover at a time.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by JSherlock »

Jeremus: Disney released 'Princess Mononoke" in the US (I can't remember who owns it) and it had some non-Disney violent things in it.
Studio Ghibli in Japan. (Hayao Miyazaki) None of their stuff that I've seen was ever "just for the kiddies". Even if it is animated. Even the older films have panty shots and guns and some sort of violence, or filled with harsh reality concepts.

Also, Ange? I died of laughter. "Who knows? I might find The Suite Life of Kurt and Logan worth watching. " I'd watch it.

However, pretty much everything Disney touches gets ruined, so I think I'm gonna side with Johnny and say, "Hello, I'm a DC."

I honestly do not believe anything good can come out of this.

[Edited on 31/8/2009 by JSherlock]
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Esynthia wrote:Wolverine and the X-men is shown on nickelodeon and Disney XD shows Evo and X-Men: The Animated Series at various times. XTAS is typically shown in the wee hours of the morning.
Not in Mexico. Evo was aired on Cartoon Network and Wolverine was aired on Jetix. XTAS has not been aired here in years, though I think there's a national TV channel here that's airing old animated shows on weekends, so they might be airing it. Disney XD is a new channel here, it replaced Jetix barely 2 or 3 months ago. It is said that it will eventually include shows like Spiderman Unlimited and X-Men again, but for now the programming is very lacking.

I don't know if Nickelodeon is currently airing anything marvel-related in Latin America, but as far as I know it isn't.
~Twitch~

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Elfdame »

steyn wrote: And I swear to Bob, agent of Hydra, that if they don't make the deadpool movie right, I will hunt them down one mouse lover at a time.
Biggest. Smile. On. My. Pudgy. Face. In. Weeks!!!!!!!!! :D
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Elwing »

Well I don't think this sounds all that bad...Think about the possibilities, especially when Pixar gets involved...
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Slarti »

I don't think it's any big deal. Disney owns or has owned a lot of companies/operated other divisions. While their best known brand is related to Walt, I don't think this means Wolverine will be sporting mouse ears. They're a mega-corporation, and they're in this to make money.

Also, if contracts have already been signed on some of those movie properties - like Deadpool - Disney can't do much to change that. They would collect the license fees to use the characters, but if another studio is bankrolling the production it's mostly that studio's show.

Another way to look at it is that if Marvel went bankrupt (again) who knows how things would turn out. But with Disney showing it values the brand it's just put Marvel at a higher visibility and secured its immediate future.

[Edited on 1-9-2009 by Slarti]
LIV4TheObsession
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by LIV4TheObsession »

steyn wrote:...Don't fix that isn't broken. And I swear to Bob, agent of Hydra, that if they don't make the deadpool movie right, I will hunt them down one mouse lover at a time.
I agree! I love Disney, but I hope they don't intervine in the way Marvel runs itself. I think they just wanted to be able to sell merchendice to boys. Most of their stuff comes from the Princess and new Fairy lines. So they just want to expand their audiences a little more. I don't think that they'll have much say in the acctual comic books or movies though, but I wonder where any new TV shows will be aired.

I gotta say the news did shock me at first, but now that I think about it, it makes sence. I guess we'll just have to sit back and see what happens.
DeviantArt: http://liv4theobsession.deviantart.com/

"Your life is not back and white but it is the million shades of grey that make you who you are." ~ Unknown
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Angelique »

I was just thinking about which Disneyland attraction would be most suitable for some Marvel characters.

Ka-Zar: The Jungle Cruise
The Fantastic 4 and the Silver Surfer: Space Mountain
Ghost Rider: the Haunted Mansion
Namor: Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
Vertigo and Riptide: the Mad Tea Party
Punisher and Domino: Frontierland Shooting Exposition
Angel: Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Iceman and Wendigo: Matterhorn
Forge: Gadget's Go Coaster and Innoventions
Ant Man and Wasp: Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
Pixie: Tinkerbell and her Fairy Friends

Nightcrawler: Pirates of the Caribbean, then Star Tours, then Tom Sawyer's Island, then the Columbia, then Peter Pan's Flight, then King Arthur's Carousel, and back to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Multiple Man: Everything at once.

Gambit: Gambit don't do rides. He just hang out at de Blue Bayou and do card tricks.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Esynthia »

Angelique wrote:
Gambit: Gambit don't do rides. He just hang out at de Blue Bayou and do card tricks.

LMFAO! You just made my night. hee.
ImageImage