X-Men: 2nd Coming (SAY WHAAAA)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

neling4 wrote:The preview pages are even worse. Everyone is much too cheerful, considering that Kurt is dead:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=25989
Well, at least Scott looks like a dofus in that second page.

But you're right, even Kitty looks like she's not bothered by one of her best friend's death. :(
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Oh, yeah. And still no evidence that anyone had even bothered to help beyond stand around while his death becomes increasingly difficult to reverse in any refreshingly plausible way.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Spoken like a true EMT. You go, girl!
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Uncanny X-Men #524 previews, with words:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/108/1086905p1.html
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

neling4 wrote:Uncanny X-Men #524 previews, with words:

What the heck? Did they just throw him on the ground when they moved him? :mad

They'd better give him a proper send off in this one!
LIV4TheObsession
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LIV4TheObsession »

Angelique wrote:
Hope's powers are that she can whine, comb her hair, and jump on beds, which is remarkable considering she's a football, not a person.

Think about it. All she's ever done is be rushed or passed back and forth and intersepted.
That's been true. She has been a football. But keep in mind that her character hasn't had a chance yet to be developed. Duane Swierzynski is the only writer who's really written her so far. (And I don't think he did a good job, by the way.) Now that we're into Second Coming, we've seen her in other writer's stories but they haven't had a chance to flush out her personality yet.

Hope plays a huge roll in Second Coming but she's there as a plot point, not a character. And I think that's a shame because she could be a really interesting character someday. (Assuming that that's what Marvel wants. They -could- make her her own character, OR they could just recycle Jean Grey or Rachel Summers into her. I'm hoping for the prior.)

I also want to see more of how having a daughter has changed Cable as a person. Man, Marvel has all this potential for some real character growth and I don't think they're gonna use it!
DeviantArt: http://liv4theobsession.deviantart.com/

"Your life is not back and white but it is the million shades of grey that make you who you are." ~ Unknown
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Did anybody else who wrote for the retcon get flowers from the Donner flower shop today???

I got a vase of flowers with a little teddy bear today.

The note that came with it says:
WE GOT YOUR LETTER IN November AND KNEW HOW SAD YOU'D BE THIS WEEK. IF WE CAN OFFER SILVER LINING, WHEN NIGHT CRAWLER INEVITABLY RETURNS, THE DEMON NATURE YOU WANT REMOVED MAY VERY WELL BE HIS WAY BACK. CONDOLENCES, THE X-OFFICE.
Do you guys see this as slightly ominous as well? They're bringing him back, but as they do it, THEY'RE VALIDATING THE ARC THAT MUST NOT BE NAMED????????????
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:Did anybody else who wrote for the retcon get flowers from the Donner flower shop today???

WE GOT YOUR LETTER IN November AND KNEW HOW SAD YOU'D BE THIS WEEK. IF WE CAN OFFER SILVER LINING, WHEN NIGHT CRAWLER INEVITABLY RETURNS, THE DEMON NATURE YOU WANT REMOVED MAY VERY WELL BE HIS WAY BACK. CONDOLENCES, THE X-OFFICE.
Do you guys see this as slightly ominous as well? They're bringing him back, but as they do it, THEY'RE VALIDATING THE ARC THAT MUST NOT BE NAMED????????????
Bless you! Blessyoublessyoublessyou!!!! :love:bamf

Not necessarily. It depends upon how you read it. They may mean that somehow removing the demon nature may be his way back. I don't care! He's coming back!!

Eh! I'm so excited I can't type straight!

[Edited on 30/4/10 by neling4]

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Lol glad to be of service!

I can't believe this.... it's so weird!
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

So... does this mean that a plan is already in effect? Like, maybe we could expect a quick resurrection?

Please, let it be so, please!
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I edited my angry posts. I don't want Marvel to see them and change their minds. :oops:

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Oy vey... okay I'm gone for four hours and this grows 2 pages!
neling4-

The preview pages are even worse. Everyone is much too cheerful, considering that Kurt is dead:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=25989
Totally agree. What's with Mags and Kitty and Colossus all grinning? EXCUSE ME! YOUR FRIEND IS DEAD! Even Magneto would grieve that loss, he has nothing but the utmost respect for him, I'm sure. I mean.. he may have wanted him dead (maybe he still does) but one of the only students of Xaviers to be the strongest in ethics, through all the years? He has to give him props.
Neling4-
Uncanny X-Men #524 previews, with words:

Sort of hard to explain that huh? "It's my father." "WHOA!"

And yeah... Actually... BITCH, You SHOULD bring her back!!

I like Logan's reaction tho. "WTF" And why did Colossus ditch the group to go chill with Kitty in a bubble? EXCYUUUSE ME! DUDE! Your COMRADE is dead! Mother fucker!
DedicatedFollower467-
Did anybody else who wrote for the retcon get flowers from the Donner flower shop today???

Quote:

WHAT?!??! *gasp*
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Don't get too excited people.

:( Unfortunately, Elfdame has brought to my attention that this is could be a prank somebody is playing on me. Especially since the flower shop can apparently only be found in my hometown.

If I find this is a prank I am going to be seriously ticked and the person who did it will find quite a LOT of verbal/written abuse from me.:mad

Sorry to get everybody's hopes up.
~Def.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I am so not loving the new colour scheme. It is confusing to my aging brain and hurts my elderly eyeballs.
Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:
THE DEMON NATURE YOU WANT REMOVED MAY VERY WELL BE HIS WAY BACK. CONDOLENCES, THE X-OFFICE.
Do you guys see this as slightly ominous as well?
Ominous in the sense that thar be a change in the wind!

Maybe, just maybe, somewhere down the line after he's brought back with some dramatic differences (cause dying changes a person, RIGHT?) he'll become as amazing a leader as Scott. Or join X-Force and bust heads with X-23. The possibilities are literally endless.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Or...

He'll come back as a swash-buckling VILLAIN!!

>_>
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I guess the only way to know would be if anyone else gets flowers and the same note.

Ah well, I was happy for a little while.

Goodnight!

FYI, I googled Donners. If it was from Marvel, they might have ordered it via Teleflora. I once worked in a flower shop, and that is how flowers are sent long distance.

So there is still hope.

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I didn't get any flowers. And I'm afraid to even send Yost any note saying, "Thanks for letting 'Crawler go out a hero, but still... please tell me offing Kurt wasn't your idea!"
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Is it possible Magneto may take this opportunity to .... unleash some evil? Or do you think Scott will step down and Mags will take his spot?
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

i may be misreading this, but Piotr just looks like he's smiling at Kitty, not just smiling in general (and what happened to Karma's leg? i thought she was injured! not an amputee! oy, shades of Roy Harper...)

So MagBuckets was out for the whole thing? Do you think he could lend the elf one of his "get out of death free" cards?

oh, also, whoever said "bring him back."

- Seconded!

[Edited on 30-4-2010 by kladyelf]
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

kladyelf wrote:i may be misreading this, but Piotr just looks like he's smiling at Kitty, not just smiling in general (and what happened to Karma's leg? i thought she was injured! not an amputee! oy, shades of Roy Harper...)

So MagBuckets was out for the whole thing? Do you think he could lend the elf one of his "get out of death free" cards?

oh, also, whoever said "bring him back."

- Seconded!
That preview is awful. I hope the rest of the book is better, because they ought to do it all over again if it isn't.

It was Logan who said, "Bring him back!", but for some reason, the speech bubble is coming out of Illyana, who shouldn't even be there. That's number one thing that is wrong with this issue.

#2: Colossus has disappeared into the hospital ward, where he is entertaining Kitty with movie DVD's, without even acknowledging Kurt's death.

#3: The arm is no longer in Kurt's chest. Did it melt?

#4: Scotty jumps down Logan's throat instead of trying to comfort him, then he and Hope go off and have a funny, highly humorous moment.

Plus, the art looks awful. Kurt should be pretty in death. I want Mike Choi.

They need to redo this.

By the way Def, you can call the florist who sent the flowers and ask where they were sent from. That should tell you if they are really from Marvel.

I never even received a letter. :(

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I agree with your entire assessment Neling. I like the artwork, but not for this comic. It's too flimsy, and fun. It's bright and upbeat, that should be in Ultimate X right now, or anything else really. Not a somber, X-Book where a core character just lost his life.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:Did anybody else who wrote for the retcon get flowers from the Donner flower shop today???

What a strange, strange story
You shouldn't give me hope like that !

Another topic : (I've been away for a while) why do you despise Chuck Austen's run so much ??
This place was full of fans of his work, a few years ago.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Full?

I wouldn't say full? 3 or 4, perhaps. I think honestly the hype came from the anxiety of the fact that one of the lead X-Book writers was ACTUALLY keeping contact with our forum. Granted, Via Bamfette most of the time, but whatever.

Point is, I was always skeptical of his work. I realize that Marvel Editors gave him very little to work with (i've read his blog and according to his Blog they wouldn't let him do what he wanted with Stacy X or Husk). My point is, he was trying to write a soap opera inside an action comic book series, and on top of that, he had a lot of convenient deus-ex-machina stories.

One flub that comes to mind is Abyss (who is a longtime villain, known for his hate of the X-Men and destructive force) is suddenly a cute, fluffy, lovable, friendly guy who just happens to be related to Kurt and just happens to be there to help them all escape. He seems a bit curious of them all, even childish. I'm pretty sure this was one of the worst runs I had ever read in terms of Uncanny. It, and I mean all of it, made little to no sense at any given time. The worst part was that "Let's have a Nightcrawler Pope" thing. That was mentally exhausting.
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

:cry

I've been trying hard to put this in perspective, but it's been blow after blow and I'm too tired to rationalize anymore. Comics and movies have stopped being fun. They've become something to dread rather than to anticipate. Star Trek killed Data and destroyed Vulcan. David Tennant's Doctor Who got frustratingly melodramatic before he finally regenerated. The movies "inspired" by Isaac Asimov's stories, like Bicentennial Man and I, Robot, are painful crap. I won't even mention the Star Wars franchise or that deplorable "Sherlock Holmes" movie. And now Nightcrawler's "dead." He wasn't on the cover and it wasn't even a cool death. It's like everything I ever liked is getting ruined and/or rewritten. What the flippin' smeg? :hrumph

Last time Kurt was super-severely damaged was the Mutant Massacre. He was in a coma for months, and when he recovered he went to England and formed Excalibur, an entire series permeated with Nightcrawler's interpretation of Xavier's "Dream": tolerance, responsibility, honor. That series was allowed to peter out and die and afterwards it really seemed like no one knew what to do with our noble hero. He and his whole accepting, understanding, chivalrous mentality just didn't seem to fit in anymore. Marvel flailed around for years trying to inject angst into his life and background wherever they could and now he's dead. Dare I hope that this "death" could be the precursor to a new sort of "Excalibur"? A rebirth of the original version of Xavier's "Dream", the Dream Nightcrawler essentially embodied for years?

Probably not. If my favorite swashbuckling Fuzzy Elf gets made over as a demon, I give up. :yuck

:cry

[Edited on 30/4/2010 by Rowena]
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I guess it's the anti-hero that sells.....not the old-timey hero. And a real hero is exactly what the world needs right now (IMHO).

Most of my favorites get killed. John Locke was killed and is now the Smoke Monster:( I don't want Kurt to come back "wrong" (a la Pet Semetary) either.

If I get flowers, I'll let ya'll know. I did get a letter last time, but I was one of the last ones. I'm sorry you didn't get one Neling. I'm suprised they didn't get yours in the mail first thing!

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]