X-Men: 2nd Coming (SAY WHAAAA)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I was just coming here to post that link, Angelique.

I'm sick of all the death.

Thanks a lot, Marvel!

Here's the link to the preview for the next story in this thoroughly depressing crossover arc:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... disp=table

[Edited on 8/5/10 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

OK, I didn't want to but I bought Uncanny. Just for the Wolverine reaction. Which was cool.
The rest of this comic book is dull.
Kurt's funeral seems cheap, really unreal.

You can't kill a character who existed for 35 years just like that.

Fraction pisses me off.
He's SO in love with Cyclops, everybody else just seems dispensable.

Didn't Kurt's funeral seem unreal to you, too ?
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Definitely unreal. I skipped over everything but Logan's panels.

In my opinion, if the book only consisted of the panels with Logan, it would be a good book. They were the only parts worth reading. His expression was so sad it made me want to cry.

The rest was unnecessary.

[Edited on 7/5/10 by neling4]

Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:They have Vanisher and--technically, if she's even still around?--Layla Miller who, aside from Kurt, is the most powerful teleporter ever. She teleports between universes. She also has the ability to further a dried up plot and move things along.
Vanisher's not currently on Utopia, and they've got that whole communication problem. They can only get him if he comes over on his own. I don't think Layla can teleport. She resurrects people without souls, though. Shatterstar, on the other hand, can teleport people. Of course, both he and Layla are off with the X-Factor folks.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

erm.... what?

I may be a bit behind the ball, but i thought that Layla just "knew stuff" and that was it! How on earth can she resurrect people? or even teleport? and if they are targeting teleporters, then they'd probably have Shatterstar on their list too.
(Hang on, 'Star can port as well?!? is that a recent addition or what? I never did figure that guy out.)
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Wahnsinn wrote:
Ult_Sm86 wrote:They have Vanisher and--technically, if she's even still around?--Layla Miller who, aside from Kurt, is the most powerful teleporter ever. She teleports between universes. She also has the ability to further a dried up plot and move things along.
Vanisher's not currently on Utopia, and they've got that whole communication problem. They can only get him if he comes over on his own. I don't think Layla can teleport. She resurrects people without souls, though. Shatterstar, on the other hand, can teleport people. Of course, both he and Layla are off with the X-Factor folks.
Re Vanisher: You might want to read that preview.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I saw the Vanisher part after I stated that. And might I add, he's not officially out for the count, I think he's just "down". Though it's hard to tell the artist sucks and all the facial reactions seem the same.

BUT--I am fairly certain Layla Miller can teleport between worlds. I'm pretty sure it was something just preposterous like that.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:
BUT--I am fairly certain Layla Miller can teleport between worlds. I'm pretty sure it was something just preposterous like that.
What? No. She was sent to the future by.. Forge? Somebody. Some technology thing. And then she stayed longer than expected. It isn't any special power of hers, unless I missed something.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I've been uncharacteristically silent on this whole topic and I have to admit I haven't been able to muster up much emotion on the subject - good or bad. Maybe it's because I work in a profession where I can legally TAKE a life and do on a daily basis. I see and feel the real emotions a death brings. Or maybe it's because I'm never that sad about fictional characters dying anyway. Their death on paper doesn't change the fact that they still live in my heart. Or maybe it's because, with the notable exception of the Nightcrawler solo book, he hasn't been really a compelling or "mourn worthy" character. In a way, I've been mourning Nightcrawler for years.

Still, I've had absolutely nothing to say on the subject for weeks and that's weird. My boyfriend put it best: "You OWN a Nightcrawler fan site and you haven't even POSTED on your own site? You're not even a little bit sad over this?!"

Oh, I'm sad, but I'm not gutted. I was more upset when Mignola announced he would still be writing Hellboy and drawing the covers, but not the comics themselves. I'm not even angry at Marvel really; they've done far far stupider things with Nightcrawler than killing him. And he did die a heroes death, which is never a bad thing.

I finally found a comic book shop in Buffalo that had Uncanny #524 so I could read it today and I thought it was respectful at least. I'm okay with sacrificing my favorite X-Man if it means lighting a fire under the rest of the character's butts. Maybe it's going to take losing Nightcrawler to put some real vengence behind the actions of the other X-men and make them more than the paper doll cutouts they've been for years. I've never been a big Wolverine fan, but this one time I find myself in complete agreement with him.

"[This] better be worth it."

-e
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I beg to differ on the respectfulness issue. I suppose it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been for a slapped-together funeral that was admittedly not what Nightcrawler would have wanted. The problem was that it simply was a slapped together funeral that involved no attempt at what Nightcrawler might have wanted- and this after the first page showed that the characters had spend hours staring at the body. There were a lot of ways this could have been better handled, IMO.

I understand how your profession colors your reaction, as mine has mine, otherwise, I wouldn't have been all over the boards saying, "Why didn't they try to do this, that or the other thing? Why did Emma pronounce him dead? She's not an MD," and so forth.

What bothered me most is how unheroic this death made every other character around at the time look- with the exception maybe of Rogue. If they and this story were any good, it shouldn't have taken anyone's death to shake things up.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

What's wrong with him being more heroic than the others? I'm happier that he gave his life for her rather than dying in some stupid assassination plot against mutants.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

The problem is not that he was more heroic, but that the alleged heroes who stood around for so long gawking behaved very unheroically. And these are the characters who'll be featured in the Heroic Age?
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Saint Kurt wrote: Or maybe it's because, with the notable exception of the Nightcrawler solo book, he hasn't been really a compelling or "mourn worthy" character. In a way, I've been mourning Nightcrawler for years.

-e
I understand your feeling. The end of his solo book made me really depressed. Marvel had a great writer on the subject, a devouted artist, incredible stories, sales were OK (according to Darick), and then the title was cancelled.

That said, I'm quite angry here..., and fed up with seeing my favourite comic-book character being treated like that.

Who knows ? Maybe some day someone will make Nightcrawler shine again.
Mr Asmus, if you're reading this, please make your way towards the main titles and bring NC back. ^^

[Edited on 9-5-2010 by Diablo]
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Saint Kurt wrote:In a way, I've been mourning Nightcrawler for years.
Sing it, sister.
Maybe it's going to take losing Nightcrawler to put some real vengence behind the actions of the other X-men
What! What! They already started going after and assassinating villains, how much more vengeful can they get? That was actually related to him dying, he found out and flipped his shit and quit (again) but was talked into finishing the mission. (The one he died on.) Are you trolling your own board? For shame! ;)
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Well, I read the Uncanny issue. While it wasn't as bad as I expected, I agree with my hubby that it "didn't do the character justice." It had nice moments but fell very short, and it's not because Kurt didn't get a proper Catholic funeral. The focus was just … off. Beast's little outburst also felt inappropriate and out of character. The rush to get him up on that funeral pyre--didn't all the other dead folk shown get the torpedo?--felt very unnatural. As I said before, it would have made far more sense for them to stick him in the morgue, resolve to avenge his death, and hold the funeral after taking down Bastion. There was plenty of talk among the characters that could be taken as foreshadowing his eventual resurrection, though.

While it was poorly timed, there was some neat subtext at one point in Magneto's chat with hope Hope. Of course, it would require a reader to have some familiarity with Jewish messianic prophecy to catch it. I wonder if Fraction did that on purpose. It was rather clever if he did.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

On a much lighter but related note, my kids gave me a very special gift they created themselves...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 1278778912

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Wahnsinn wrote:There was plenty of talk among the characters that could be taken as foreshadowing his eventual resurrection, though.
It will be super funny if after all that talk about rising up from your grave, he doesn't.

Okay not really.
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

The Drastic Spastic wrote:
Wahnsinn wrote:There was plenty of talk among the characters that could be taken as foreshadowing his eventual resurrection, though.
It will be super funny if after all that talk about rising up from your grave, he doesn't.

Okay not really.
The little quip by Bobby after reading the lengthy resurrection-related bit could be taken as a hint that the writer was engaging in a bit of mean-spirited teasing. I should hope he wouldn't be so stupid as to alienate the entire fan-base of a popular character, though.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

He'll return, and it will be a massive event. And I foresee it as a multi-book event too.

Until then, we have to look forward to this moronic storyplot to end.

Any other teasers on CBR or etc. to look forward to? Something else we can poke fun at? :P

Also, who else Matt Fraction's not going to have a job with X-books after all of this? :3
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

MR. Q is still missing. No Cup O' Joe.

[Edited on 11/5/10 by neling4]

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I don't know any of those answers, but I am enjoying the "revised edition" my kids did.

SPOILERS

In a plot necessitated continuity gaffe, Bastion finds himself napping on the sandy palm beach of Utopia. Cyclops orders the X-Men, who are also all on Utopia to attack. They ask why, considering Bastion is only napping. Cyclops pitches a hissy fit, so they attack to get him to stop whining.

Bastion, irritated that his nap was so rudely interrupted, impales Nightcrawler on his arm. Everybody stands around doing nothing except crying.Cyclops, in a rare moment of using correct strategy, orders Iceman to call a medic, having not thought of doing it himself.

So then, in another continuity error, a life flight helicopter from eastern Idaho arrives, commanded by Mommy, who upon discovering Nightcrawler is her patient, falls into an out-of-character and therefore much more comedic swoon.

By page 6, the artist got tired of drawing, so the writer devoted a page to explaining that and how all the medics (including Mommy) try everything, including "the electric shock thingy." It doesn't work. So Wolverine, upon arriving, donates some of his healing factor. And Nightcrawler recovers. Yayy!

Then Nightcrawler gets up and delivers Bastion a well-placed kick in the kiester.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

:clap Yay! Finally we know what really happened!

Forget those Marvel books! We can make better stories on our own.:P

Here Ult_Sm86 , you can make fun of this garbage. New previews out at CBR:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... disp=table

[Edited on 10/5/10 by neling4]

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

neling4 wrote::clap Yay! Finally we know what really happened!

Bear in mind that this wasn't just the work of amateurs, but of a 10 year old writer and an 8 year old penciller who did this in less than two days and without any editorial oversight.

[Edited on 10/5/2010 by Angelique]

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Angelique wrote:
neling4 wrote::clap Yay! Finally we know what really happened!

Bear in mind that this wasn't just the work of amateurs, but of a 10 year old writer and an 8 year old penciller who did this in less than two days and without any editorial oversight.
Exactly! Ten and Eight year olds can do better than Marvel.

I'm thinking of writing my own version of the funeral issue.

Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

The Drastic Spastic wrote: Are you trolling your own board? For shame! ;)
Worse, I'm talking out of my own asshole on my own board.

The truth is, about a year and a half ago I completely lost track of what the X-Men were up to because the characters seemed so hollow and wooden I just didn't care about them anymore.

So, actually, I didn't even know what they were doing before Kurt died. The last Uncanny is the first xbook I've picked up since fall of 2008.

So, I'm writing, but I don't actually know what I'm talking about.

-e