Meeting Fraction, Brubaker, Bendis, & Gage

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

SO...

I'm sort of glad a lot of crazy Nightcrawler fans didn't show up and berate Matt Fraction. TBH he's a pretty fair guy. I really misjudged him.

He's clearly a cool cat, he's just trying to write as solid a story as he can while still doing the one he wants, regardless of the editing, and he also is very humorous. When I asked him to sign

"I'm Sorry" over dead Kurt he freaked out, like this happens frequently.

"But I DIDN'T DO IT!" and I replied; (before Bendis could hop in, Brian looked equally upset)

"No, no! It's a joke thing. I just am really sad to see him go, and I thought it would be humorous to sort of write that over him."

Fraction replied:
"I got one better."

He then wrote in "I didn't do it." I told him thank you, he was happy as hell to have done it, or so it seemed, and then I moved down to Bendis. :P

LMAO

Apparently another guy asked for something similar and he wrote in:
"Chris Yost has a Twitter bother him there".
LOL

They were all pretty fun guys, but poor Ed Brubaker looks like he's been doing this jazz way too long.

When a (rather poor) interviewer sat down with them, he asked them some simple questions, (usual fluff stuff)
then he asked about the Steve-to-Bucky-Captain Transition and what it meant for the shield.
Brubaker (and Gage) were equally floored, saying (almost together) "Do you even read the fucking comics?"

And Brubaker went on to explain how the shield was, in fact, not taken by Bucky being it is a symbol of an Era now gone, a Captain America now fallen, and a symbol of patriotism which he isn't interested in completely fulfilling (as a character), and that it is indeed still Steve's shield, not Bucky's.

Also, when asked about how hard it is to take criticism, Bendis claimed that when you make mistakes you change your name. They then began to joke and say Brian had frequently changed his name after bad runs, such as "Hulk Detective Comics". I want to say Fraction, could've been Gage, made the crack of listing some other poor writers, and I thought I caught "Chuck Austen" in there.

Heh.
Heh.
:toothy that made me giggle.

Anyways, it was a great day trip, I had a lot of fun, and I hope you all get to meet some of your favorite writers and discover your expectations are not totally slashed, as mine weren't.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Ult_Sm86 wrote: Fraction replied:
"I got one better."

He then wrote in "I didn't do it."
Gotta love that.

I've been too busy to check Scrawlers for a few days, and it seems as if a lot's going on. And you the big Bendis fan seeing him in the flesh ... wow. Coolness.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I know writers who are very nice, wonderful people, but if they're in the room when a decision is being made by committee, and they, as part of the committee, don't say, "Hey, this is a bad idea," then they're partially responsible.

Furthermore, Fraction is responsible for the funeral issue.

That being said, just because a writer has written stuff I don't like doesn't mean I'm going to hate his guts. Besides, I said my piece to Chris Yost, Joe Quesada, Alan Fine, and Isaac Perlmutter, and if of those four, the only one to respond was the one with the least sway in the company, what good is complaining to Fraction going to do?
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I actually told Matt that somewhere, out there, whether he had crossed them or not, there were many who were furious about the death of Kurt. He admitted that he himself was not pleased with it, but he said there's only so much he can say about it without raining on everyone's parade all the time (or something like that.) He then slowly, carefully, explained that Kurt's death was not totally in vain, that his character had not gotten the respect he deserved for a while and the writing team thought he should be recognized before he went out.

He would not explain why they decided he had to be the one to go out, mostly for time constraint purposes and he was really there for an Avengers signing.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

It would really be difficult for me to talk with Mr Fraction without saying Kurt's death was the lamest idea ever.
If he wasn't pleased with this idea, he should have resisted, he should have tried to save him.

Anyway, thanks for your effort and explanations, Ult-Sm86.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue