Ed Brubaker's Captain America

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So if there's one guy who does Captain America (and arguably does it best) it's Ed Brubaker.

I really like this guy, he's a classy, take-no-shit, professional GEEK.

When I saw him at the Midtown comics signing, some D-Bag, "I don't read anything but Scott Pilgrim" online blogger did a quick video-interview with him and asked him "When is Bucky going to receive the Captain America shield, or can we expect him to get his own?"

And the other guys (Fraction, Bendis & Gage) started laughing, Bendis making pretend attempts to hold back Brubaker, who then looked to the interviewer like he had just watched him videotaping his sister take a poop.

Brubaker: "Do you even read the fucking comics man?"

And that began a shpeal about mainstream comics getting a bad rap because stories are supposed to always wrap up nicely and always be the same, so indie-kids never read the book, something "old" like CapAm, 'cause they expect it to never be different. He called the guy out on being an ignorant comic fan (this is the parts the conversation I could make out over the laughter from Bendis/Fraction/Other viewers/patrons of the store). Most of what he said was hilariously accurate though.

From there, I realized I needed to read this title. Brubaker was a guy who knew his stuff.

He keeps things fresh, despite a character who is anything but. I didn't want to warm up to him at first, but after Freak introduced me to the wonders of Barron Zemo (and I am now finally just getting into Thunderbolts), I began to delve deeper and deeper into this world of "Heroes Time Lost", and found Brubaker has no hang ups.

He drags dead characters back to life, in terrible ways that would be emotionally scarring for just about anyone, or finds ways to make people believe they were from that generation, or to hop into their grand-pappy's spandex, just for the thrill of saying "WE GOT TO STAND BY/UP TO CAPTAIN AMERICA"!
And always, Rogers just stands there saying "When is this nonsense going to end?"

It's great because it's often times a bit like reading Batman.

Hold on, don't roll your eyes yet I'm not done explaining -- LOL!

You never really know what's going on until the very end of the arc, and even then, each story sort of bleeds into an overlying, continuous plot.

Be it Red Skull (who is now -- supposedly-- dead), Zemo, Nazi professor Lyle Dekker as the Ameridroid, or Bravo & Jimmy Jupiter, these characters keep finding ways to come back from a void, an abyss, that characters who were "not cool" get sucked into, and they come back out as very cool, very scary, or very intimidating characters.

Brubaker doesn't let any story go untold, he gives details to everything, and he's always got his talented, trusty artist, Steve McNiven at pencils by his side. With Brevoort and Lauren Sankovitch editing (two people who I trust with editing, unlike the X-Team), this title is a great read for anyone who is looking for a classic character in a great-new-way.

Also -- if you're new to Captain America, there's some definite "have-to's" to pick up, most if not all written by Brubaker, but honestly we're only on issue #3 here, so if you want to go back and read the other stuff before Steve's return to "The Blues", you'll always have time. Now is a great pick-up point. ;)

Happy reading! :cap

[Edited on 24/9/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Post by Svartfreja »

I effin' LOVE the new Cap book! The art is prettiful, the story promises epicness and I just have so much love for Cap now. Seriously. The guy is a LEGEND.

Read it. It's only three issues in. REEEEEEEAD IIIIIIIIIT!!!
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

Baron Zemo (one r) actually came back without Cap's help. Thunderbolts was his Renaissance :3

And as long as Brubaker understands that Zemo is not a one-dimensional bad guy but rather the Anti-Captain America we're cool.
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Post by Svartfreja »

Zemo kicked the crap out of Sharon in the latest issue so I think we're safe there, Freaky ^^
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

At some point I think he just likes to mess with Cap and doesn't have any masterplan at all.
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Freak that could very well be the case in this latest turn of events. As of now he seems to have no official goal. Other than to mess with Steve
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS