Xmen Genome.....

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Xmen Genome.....

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Ok, so lets start with a hi before I go into my whole schpiel. I have been posting here and there, but havent really introduced myself. I'm new, I'm Lisa, I'm from NY. Any questions? Good, now that thats taken care of, here is my post:

Ok, so I had a very boring day at work today. I started thinking about different things...one of them being the X-men and said X gene. Now, this raised certain questions for me. This mutated X gene they talk about...is this a recessive or dominant gene? My guess is that it is a recessive gene, causing women to be carriers while not showing mutation. Of course, men would not be able to be carriers in this case because they only have one X gene, while us females are blessed with two. (lucky us!) Which would mean that Mystique would have to have 2 mutated X genes, meaning that any son's she bore would be mutant, whilst any daughters would depend on whether or not the father is a mutant. Now, this works out with Kurt, but it kind of cancels out Graydon Creed's existence......is anyone following this?? Am I on the right track here with my genetic assumptions, or are they talking about something else when they mention the X gene? Of course, all of the above is taking into account that the X gene is recessive...if its dominant, then, well, its another story.....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Rex Luscus
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Xmen Genome.....

Post by Rex Luscus »

AND that's assuming the X gene is on the X chromosome.

My issue with X-Men genetics is the notion that there could be a SINGLE gene that accounts for all mutant powers. I mean, Kurt's mutation must encompass thousands of genes, and they wouldn't be the same genes that account for Cyclops's mutation.

Just my thoughts.

-rex
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Xmen Genome.....

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I just kinda figured this X gene was on the X chromosome.......but I could be wrong....yeah..this is all very wierd....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Xmen Genome.....

Post by Garble »

Rex, I know it sounds odd, but the X-Gene actually just activates other genes.

The theory is that millions of years ago beings called celestials messed with pre-human DNA so that over time they'd develope super-powers.

Basically, everyone on the planet has superpowers encoded into their genes that they can't use.

Some people, like the Fantastic Four got super-powers when radiation mutated their DNA and the super-power genes became active.
Then, there's mutants who are born with this X-Gene that activates the latent superpowers sometime around puberty (or even beforehand in some cases).

The X-Gene may occur on either chromosome, but if it's always on one of them, it's gotta be the X chromosome or women couldn't be mutants.
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Xmen Genome.....

Post by Erynne »

Oh man....too much science! I feel....so....dizzy....*falls down*
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Xmen Genome.....

Post by Garble »

Oh, yeah???

There's evidence to support the theory that the X-Gene might be located on the X-cromosome because from what we've seen of mustant offspring, mothers have pass their powers on to their sons and daughters (Jean Grey, Rachel, and Nathan) and fathers have passed their powers on to their daughters(Banshee & Siryn), but fathers haven't passed their powers on to their sons (unless you count Professor X and Legion, though his powers are different.)

However, if the X-Gene is exclusive to the X cromosome then we have to have this pattern for passing the the X-Gene to offspring..
Mutant Mother + Human Father = Mutant Daughter, Human Dauther, Mutant Son or Human Son
Mutant Mother + Mutant Father = Mutant Daughter, Mutant Son, or Human Son
Human Mother + Mutant Father = Mutant Daughter, Human Daughter or Human Son (Mutant Son only if the X-Gene has appeared on its own)