Marvel NOW!

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Marvel NOW!

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I'm not usually a Hulk fan, but when Marvel started "NOW!" and began to shift writers and break up creative teams that have been working on singular titles for as many as 5+ years, I figured I'd give some titles I would normally find tired and poor a new shot.

What I have found is that Tony Stark is pretty much always Tony Stark no matter who writes him and his ego will get him into the same problems over and over.
Captain America is far more dashing when Remender pens him.
Mark Waid has laid down the brickwork to completely change how everyone views The Hulk (including Banner himself).
Brian Michael Bendis can do a lot, but he can't save Rogue from her own terrible character traits given to her over the last few years. He's chipping away though.

What Marvel NOW! titles are you reading? Have you been getting regular covers or some of the variants?
Jaime & I have been trying to acquire all the Skottie Young variants of the titles that interest us. They're adorable. The Uncanny Avengers one is really cute, but we had already bought the issue a couple weeks back by the time we saw it last night, that was disappointing.

What characters are you most excited to see have a new creative team on board?
I was excited for Fantastic Four and FF (FF featuring artwork from famous X-Statix book that ran for a while there in the early 2000's), but I'm really loving Indestructible Hulk, and yes, even I am stunned to say that I am loving a Hulk title. :hulk
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Re: Marvel NOW!

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I am reading Uncanny Avengers, Deadpool, and All New X-Men. I don't really move outside of my comfort zone, unless Nightcrawler is involved, however I am taking chances. Uncanny X-Force got me into Remender's work, which is why I pick up Uncanny Avengers. I like the strange team-up, even though Wolverine should not be there. Just no. Also, I stopped reading Deadpool because it got really stupid, but now I am giving it another shot. New writer, new style. I am hopeful. And as for All New X-Men, it is just a really cool concept. Get the past X-Men to convince Cyclops he's a looney tune... solid.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I'm still loving these Image Skottie Young Variants
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Another great Skottie Young variant set!

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I am also reading Avengers Arena. I don't really know about any of the characters, but it is like a Battle Royale for young heroes and it takes place in a giant murder world made by Arcade. It's really interesting... Good Marvel story without ties to the outside world, other than Arcade and a few familiar faces.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Part of Marvel NOW! is the return of the series "X-MEN".

The team features an entire female-cast. This is (more-or-less) unprecedented in an X-Book and is very relevant in current times.

The link here shall explain further.
Storm, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Rachel Summers, Psylocke, and slight surprise Jubilee adorn the first cover image for the NOW! X-Men launching April 2013. In fact, Jubilee is the "main star" of the book, according to USAToday's interview with Wood.

"I feel like as far as the X-Men go, the women are the X-Men," Wood explains to USAToday. "Cyclops and Wolverine are big names, but taken as a whole, the women kind of rule the franchise."

And Wood is going to be putting these X-Women into a lot of trouble very quickly. Sublime, from Grant Morrison's now-classic run on the series is back, and as a reluctant ally. There are aliens, Sentinels, and ancient sibling rivalries that creep into the present day, as well as love, relationships and sex - everything classic X-stories are made of.

While Jubilee is the star, Wood says it won't be a "'Jubilee and friends book.' (Poster's note: That's a relief...) They're all A-list characters — I've got to make them all shine."
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Normally, it is the men of the X-men that draw me in, and the interaction of different sexes the keep them interesting. It will be interesting to see an all-female cast. I may have to pick this title up, even if it is for nothing more than a novelty item. Who knows? It may be pretty good... One of my main concerns is balancing the male and female audience... How can they keep the ladies real enough to hold a feminine readership, while simultaneously making them sexy enough to get guys to keep buying? I know this is over generalizing, but it's true... I like my female characters drawn and written more sensually than their male counterparts... Also, I am unfamiliar with Wood's work. What has he done? Anything noteworthy?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Jill Pantozzi gives her opinion on the matter.

Apparently Wood's big thing in Marvel was "Generation X" and most recently, Wolverine & The X-Men's "Alpha & Omega" Mini.

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Yeah, as I've mentioned in other threads, I havent read WatXM, so I am completely unfamiliar with Wood's work. Regardless, I'll pick it up...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

He apparently wrote a really great indie series. At least my ex is convinced it was great. Will have to get the name from her. Dev08 or something....
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Awww yeah...
Skottie Young Variants are the best...

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So Marvel NOW! is back and it's super great to have a reshuffling of creators, titles, and story arcs. I'm stoked.

I'm sorta confused about the X-Titles though... I think some of them need a re-labeling. Tell me what you guys think of this...

Current title --> Dream title
All-New X-Men --> Astonishing X-Men (it gets rid of the irony but they've been "all new" for over a year now)
Uncanny X-Men --> All-New Brotherhood of Mutants
All-New X-Factor --> All-New X-Factor
Wolverine & the X-Men --> New Mutants (nod to Morrison and the last time a disciple of Xavier tried to run the school)
Amazing X-men --> Amazing X-Men
X-Force --> X-treme X-Men (as they have made a pact not to kill anymore in this new story)
X-Men --> Uncanny X-Men

thoughts? criticisms? applause? :clap
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

The Skottie Young Variants just keep coming. Here's Moon Knight! Image

Hilarious! I love this stuff! Marvel is doing a great job with variants, keeping them themed and fresh rather than just an excuse to sell another cover. (Which in actuality, that's all this really is- but hey it keeps Skottie Young employed!)

And the last A+X!

WOW! FOUND MORE!

Iron Fist #001 Image
I'd link the others but my PHOTOBUCKET isn't working. :<

But there's a HULK #1 and #CAPTAIN MARVEL #1 as well as a very cool ROCKET RACCOON sketch for his ongoing!

OH AND A VARIANT FOR MAGNETO #1 ONGOING!