Uncanny X-Men General Discussion

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

On the one hand, you have the man who introduced the priest "story" and actually the whole religious thing period.

On the other, you have the guy who "finished" it. And wrote The Draco.

*indigestion*

I'm hoping for Claremont though, just for the pretty Davis art.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

* Tatu hands Jessie a Marvel brand Tums :evil

whoever does what i really dont care, i'll still pick them up to see what i like and what i dont. I cant make my own descisions coz Im a big boy! :toothy
Call me King!
Icey
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Icey »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
On the one hand, you have the man who introduced the priest "story" and actually the whole religious thing period.
CC may have started the priest thing, but he never planned for Kurt to go all the way, he was never actually going to become a priest.
~ THIS is a KNIFE, the focused totality of my telepathic abilies, and it'll cut alot deeper than your BANANA! ~ :bets Psylocke (Excalibur#56)
~ Now, I like tall, dark strangers as much as the next girl *SMASH* but when an unexpected gentleman caller gets a little too fresh with me, I'm not afraid to remind him of his poor, inexcusable manners, KIIYAHH!, with a swift kick to the more sensitive parts of his person! ~ :bets Psylocke (Crimson Dawn #2)
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

So he says. Now. He really seemed quite insistent on it at the time.
killer bee
Lubber
Lubber

Post by killer bee »

which forum member is crawler? i keep getting weird messages from it?
killer bee: i've spent my whole life as a brain washed slave for a madman named bison who made me commit horrible acts of murder and savagery. but i've been given a second chance at life, to turn right all the wrongs i've commited and i wont dishonor that chance by going back to him. i know that i may never truly be forgiven for all the terrible things i've done but through hope i know that one day i will.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by killer bee

:offtopic and in the wrong thread, but....

He is the Super Administrator here on Nightscrawlers. He and Bamfette share the responsibility of this board.

If he is telling you something, it is best to heed to it.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

Crawler is the owner and co-runner of this site. AKA The Head Honcho, the man in charge. If he tells you something, you best listen and respond.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Originally posted by Panz
I just know that CC/Davis supposedly have uncanny (or so the rumble goes. Davis said as much in a panel at one of the cons) I personally hope that they end up with NC, but thats just me.
It's not just you dear Panz, it's me and several other people that shall remain nameless. (You know who you are :D)

And some of us hope he also keeps Storm ;)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
Nandi's still reading the thread, isn't she? ;)
Nope :D
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Lorna_Dane
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Lorna_Dane »

So does anyone have any thoughts on the first installment of "Angels"? I actually heard some positive comments on Comixfan.
I thought it was a good start, but i wish these arcs would start off with more excitement.
I was also very disturbed by the coloring on Warren and Paige.
Regardless, I am eagerly awaiting the next issue, and maybe a picture of Lorna in the interior!?
:lorna :northie :havok :bubbles :icey :dazzler

What a fun team!

:respectjugg
Icey
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Icey »

*Some* positive comments? As far as I can tell, everyone, more or less, enjoyed the issue at ComiX-Fan. I did too, my all time favorite of Austen's whole run. That end, with Josh, was very very very very nice.

But I was wondering, wasn't Josh afraid that he would be a mutant or something? Bamfette do you know if that will be addressed?
~ THIS is a KNIFE, the focused totality of my telepathic abilies, and it'll cut alot deeper than your BANANA! ~ :bets Psylocke (Excalibur#56)
~ Now, I like tall, dark strangers as much as the next girl *SMASH* but when an unexpected gentleman caller gets a little too fresh with me, I'm not afraid to remind him of his poor, inexcusable manners, KIIYAHH!, with a swift kick to the more sensitive parts of his person! ~ :bets Psylocke (Crimson Dawn #2)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

the arc isn't over yet, Icey :p

good to hear it's been well revieved so far. myself, i haven't actually gotten the issue yet, but from what i had heard of it from Chuck, i was thinkin it may be too soapy for some. eh, maybe Sal's art made the difference.
killer bee
Lubber
Lubber

Post by killer bee »

Originally posted by sevati
Crawler is the owner and co-runner of this site. AKA The Head Honcho, the man in charge. If he tells you something, you best listen and respond.

okay, i just asked who he is. i don't need you to rudely instruct me on how to deal with him. "you best listen" what are you my teacher? anyway i liked this issues uncanny not only did we see how loving warren is to paige but we got to see another guthrie turn into a mutant,if thats not exciting i dont know what is.
killer bee: i've spent my whole life as a brain washed slave for a madman named bison who made me commit horrible acts of murder and savagery. but i've been given a second chance at life, to turn right all the wrongs i've commited and i wont dishonor that chance by going back to him. i know that i may never truly be forgiven for all the terrible things i've done but through hope i know that one day i will.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Larroca's art is wonderful. Great issue. I just hope the Austen/Larroca team-up will continue after the new "X-revolution".
I'll try a question, hoping someone will answer me this time -poor me ! :bawl :bawl
How much brothers and sisters do Sam and Paige have ?? Every time I try to count, I'm lost.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Icey
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Icey »

Originally posted by Bamfette
the arc isn't over yet, Icey :p
Good. What is it, five issue arc? Sounds like plenty of time.
Originally posted by Bamfettegood to hear it's been well revieved so far. myself, i haven't actually gotten the issue yet, but from what i had heard of it from Chuck, i was thinkin it may be too soapy for some. eh, maybe Sal's art made the difference.
It definatly didn't hurt anything! :D
Dez
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Dez »

Originally posted by Diablo

How much brothers and sisters do Sam and Paige have ?? Every time I try to count, I'm lost.
Tough question. :scratch The Guthries have never been portrayed consistently in their few appearances. But here's what I know for sure :

There are seven named Guthrie siblings, one of which was only really shown during the Age of Apocalypse.

The older siblings are Sam, Paige, Elisabeth(AOA), Joshua and Joelle (Not necessarily in that order). The younger, named, siblings are Jeb and Lewis. The two youngest sisters are unnamed.

At least that's where things stood prior to the current storyline (I haven't picked up the issue yet). I can only hope and pray that Austen's trip to Cumberland County will clarify things with the family and not create more problems.
:husk
"My name is Paige Guthrie, and I am a mutant. I say that as if I were an alcoholic..."
"There're enough Guthries to take over a small country...even without mutant powers." - Paigey again

:maust
msgt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Uncanny

Post by msgt »

I picked up the latest issue. At first I wasn't sure I was going to comment.

Kentucky is my home and I reside in Eastern Kentucky.

Anyhow whenever our neck of the woods is portrayed in any kind of media there are always stereotypes that pop up.

Which is to be expected. I mean I expected it.

So the racism didn't surprise me. I do say that I have never heard a young person use the word "colored" I've only heard really old (meaning elderly) people use the term and they don't use it in a racist type way.

We do have diversity in KY and yes even in the hills of East Kentucky. We have more diversity than people might suspect.

I could go on about that but I'm not. I mean nowadays most places are just like every other place,

But we do have our cultural things that I love about living in east Ky and being from here.

We do have accents but our accents are not exaggerated like some southern places.. they are more subtle or "Flat" as they are commonly described as.

I have to look over the issue again to point out some other stuff..

Also of course the arc has just begun!

Also looks like there might be a Hatfields and McCoys situation going on with The Guthries fueding with another family (the famous Hatfiends and McCoys Family feud happened here or partly here in Pike County where I live).

Where I live we have an annual Hillbilly Days Festivel which is basically where we make fun of all the stereotypes (while having fun and raising money for the Shriners Childrens hospital).

Anyhow it was cool to see the X-men in Kentucky. I know Claremont over in Xtreme makes references to Cannonball's heritage a lot and likes to talk about some history involving the coal mines.

So I'm interested in reading the rest of the arc and seeing how Austin is going to portray us Kentuckians.

I just hope and pray for no incest references hehe..

Edit: I have a question. Is the story set in Cumberland or Cumberland County. They are two different places. Cumberland isn't in Cumberland County.
Cumberland is in Eastern KY where Cumberland County is located in a more south central part of the state.

Mike
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Thank you Dez. I wouldn't have remembered there was SO MANY Guthries !
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Eh, I actually did buy this issue, but I wasn't all that impressed. The Warren/Paige thing bores me to tears, and for some reason there was just something that didn't look right in Larocca's art. It was pretty, but I dunno... because of the inking it seemed like an attempt to knock off what we currently see in Runaways.

Basically, I'm not a fan of soap operas, whether in comics or on tv. I'll just save my money on the rest of the arc unless I hear something amazing. I just felt I should give Uncanny one more chance...
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Anyone else have 438 yet? If so, are you as disappointed as I am?

*sigh*

Cliche hardly even begins to cover it. Is there *any* format or genre this story hasn't been redone in - usually badly? And the stilted dialogue doesn't give me much hope that this'll be any better than any of the dozens of other attempts at it.

[spoiler]I mean, the whole Romeo and Juliet thing? Come on. And reset as some kind of bizarre modern variation on a Hatfields and McCoys kind of feud... [/spoiler]

The cover art's quite pretty, unfortunately that's about the only good thing I have to say about it...other than maybe it'll get better in the next issue.
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

I am in heaven *no pun intended*

Post by scheherazade »

Uncanny is rocking my english-majoring, shakespeare-loving little world. And, I need to share my joy and inferences with you all. I'm really impressed with how loyal Austen is being to the Romeo & Juliet story (If I had a dime for every time an adaptation ignores Rosaline.. I'd have at least a few bucks...)

Ahem, anyway, For my own amusement,(and for those of you who may not be as closely aquainted with the story as I) here's my little interpretation of the parelells.

Romeo and Juliet starts out with a scene of two Capulet servents walking down the street, and they come upon two Montague servants. They have a conversation like this:

Cap: I will bite my thumb at those montagues! *bites thumb* (it's like flipping the bird)

Mon: Do you bite your thumb at us?

Cap: I bite my thumb *snicker snicker i'm so witty*

Mon: do you bite your thumb at us?

Cap: err... No?

Mon: STABBY DEATH!

They then fight, bringing in more people from both sides, until the prince has to come in and stop them, with a lengthy speech.

... So,as for the comic...

[spoiler]In uncanny, the families seem to have switched, with "Romeo"s family instigating, and the "Capulets" being the insulted ones. Instead of Servants, it's brothers, and instead of a prince, we have the Sherriff. Now, this is what I was talking about with being close to the play. The prince is really more closely allied with the Montagues, because Mercutio, Romeo's best friend, is his cousin (or something). In the comic, the "law" is closely allied with the Cabots/Capulets.[/spoiler] I don't know whether it's intentional or not, but still makes me happy.

What else made me happy? [spoiler] A lot of characters are represented! whee!

Rosaline becomes Rosalinda, the girl Romeo's infatuated with before Juliet

The fight between Abe (ie, Tybalt) and Jeb seems to have filled the 'tybalt is killed' niche (hopefully) so noone will have to be killed by Joshie. (er... I hope?)

On that note, there's even Juliet's nurse: Julia's Grandmother.

And, most of all... He included one of the most gorgeous scenes ever! At the ball, when Romeo and Juliet meet, they have a beautiful moment behind a column, which is beautifully romantic in its chasteness. *g* Here's a quote from it;

Romeo: If I profane with my unworthiest hand
This holy shrine, the gentle fine is this:
My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand
To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.

Juliet: Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much,
Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss.

Hell, read the whole thing;It's halfway down the page It;s gorgeous *happy sigh*[/spoiler]

What makes me sad?

[spoiler]Josh's bandmate, the one who drives him home, seems to be Mercutio. Mercutio dies. Sche is sad, as she rather likes him. (but not as much as she likes Josh, who is extremely cute *drools*)[/spoiler]

Oh, yeah, and the little fact that Romeo and Juliet DIE at the end. oooh, I don't want pretty Guthrie to die... *cringes* But, there is one thing looking up on that count [spoiler] Chester Cabot mentioned the Guthrie kids were immune to poisen, and Romeo kills himself by poison, so, (i hope i hope i hope) this may mean pretty boy won't bite it. [/spoiler]

Oh, and, for the record, R&J is not at all my favorite Shakespeare play, nowhere near as good as Othello or Richard III (which *are* my favorites) But, i think that this arc isn't cliche, because Chuck's doing a wonderful job of interpreting the actual play, instead of just throwing in some hackneyed "starcross'd lovers" bit. It's like... an homage *grin*

Now, let my run my pedantic little butt out of here before you all throw rotted bananas at me *g*
LoneWolf21
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LoneWolf21 »

So I guess it's now official that Sam and Paige's father didn't die of Black Lung?
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

Scheherazade, those are some really good points you made. I must admit my religious studies/counseling psychology/mortuary science schooling didn't give me the insight into Shakespeare I should have. I actually haven't read Romeo and Juliet since High School, but I remember really liking the nurse. I didn't see her in the grandmother until you pointed her out. Thanks for all your insights.

I really enjoyed this issue. I liked the interaction of Mrs. Gutherie and the horndog Sheriff. I like Josh having pink wings. I liked Paige punching the Cabot boys. The dialouge wasn't as polished as I would have preferred, but I thought the pacing was nice. I'm curious to see what will happen next.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by scheherazade

But, there is one thing looking up on that count [spoiler] Chester Cabot mentioned the Guthrie kids were immune to poisen, and Romeo kills himself by poison, so, (i hope i hope i hope) this may mean pretty boy won't bite it. [/spoiler]
[spoiler]Chester: Golgoshdernit! No matter how many poison traps ah set ta try an' keep the numbers of them freaks down, them darn Guthrie kids juss et the bait an' run![/spoiler]

Didn't read it. Not going to. But that's what came to mind when I read that. HOW ELSE WOULD THEY KNOW?
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic[spoiler]Chester: Golgoshdernit! No matter how many poison traps ah set ta try an' keep the numbers of them freaks down, them darn Guthrie kids juss et the bait an' run![/spoiler]

Didn't read it. Not going to. But that's what came to mind when I read that. HOW ELSE WOULD THEY KNOW?
LMAO. Strangely enough, that was pretty much what was in the comic *g*